Chernobyl - HBO Miniseries

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone else been watching Chernobyl on hbo or sky? Some of the best TV I've seen in years, if that's not too distasteful to say.

Not sure how accurate it is and what parts are a creative license. But it all seems beleivable and it's absolutely horrific. All the lies, attempted Coverups and the disregard for people's health.

Just seen up to episode 2, and if anything episode 2 is better than the 1st.

Anyone else watching it and absolutely fascinated in a horrific way? 😯

Reactions: 3
Has anyone else been watching Chernobyl on hbo or sky? Some of the best TV I've seen in years, if that's not too distasteful to say.

Not sure how accurate it is and what parts are a creative license. But it all seems beleivable and it's absolutely horrific. All the lies, attempted Coverups and the disregard for people's health.

Just seen up to episode 2, and if anything episode 2 is better than the 1st.

Anyone else watching it and absolutely fascinated in a horrific way? 😯
Ive got it recorded to watch. It looks good

Love this show it’s fantastic. The final scenes of episode two were terrifying.

Reactions: 2

Yel

The end of episode 2 had me gasping. It's so good that I've only just watched up to episode 3 as only want to watch when I can really concentrate on it.

I'm not sure why none of the nurses told the wife it's radiation not just burns, then maybe she wouldn't have exposed herself so much.

I do wonder if they really would have gone to that much effort with the bodies, rather than just chucked them somewhere. Looking forward to seeing the end then finding out how accurate it is, I suspect it's been very creative. The actor that was annoying me that I couldn't place was from the iron islands in GoT, the one that helped theon take over winterfell.

People are worried about Huawei being able to interfere with the 5g network, but are still letting the Chinese build several massive nuclear power stations here? Makes no sense.

Reactions: 1
It’s such a brilliant show. I think it’s the last episode that’s released tomorrow. I’ve not wanted to see how a show ends so much in ages - even though we know the eventual outcome.

Reactions: 2

Yel

Same, although we know the fate of the main scientist from the opening scene. I wonder what the reaction is from former Soviet countries? It does paint them in a good light from a micro level.

I'd love to see a documentary on how they filmed it in Lithuania and transformed it back into Soviet era times.

I am from Latvia, my Grandpa was sent to Chernobyl. Luckily he is still alive , but with lots of health conditions. Most of his friends/colleagues who also went to Chernobyl are now dead (they would be in their late 60's /early 70's now).
One day he went to work and military officers came to their building and asked every single man who worked there to immediately leave work and they were transferred into these big trains that normally transport cows and taken straight to Chernobyl. My Grandmother and her children back then had no clue what happened and why her husband didn't come back home that day. He only had a chance to contact them after 3 days being away.
Grandpa also told me that they only sent Latvian men ( from his workplace ) and Russian nationality men could stay at home. But as far as I am aware it was different in each workplace. Probably the big boss in his workplace was Russian nationality and only allowed for Latvian men to be taken, because back in 1980's the system was messed up and Latvians had very little rights to anything.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I've had an obsession with Chernobyl since I was about 15. I've always wanted to visit and love the abandoned buildings tours. But it's like an obsession with something I'm terrified of...

I've not watched this yet... I tend to cope badly with horrific things which are real. A few scenes I've caught are just so scarily accurate. Knowing something like this could well happen again freaks me out big time.

The special effects and make up look incredibly well done, and I've heard most of the science is accurate too.

I'm in two minds. I'm sure I'll love it but is it worth the anxiety and nightmares which I'm sure will follow? 😂

Reactions: 5

Yel

I am from Latvia, my Grandpa was sent to Chernobyl. Luckily he is still alive , but with lots of health conditions.
I'm sorry to hear that, but not surprised at all. Do you know what he did there? The show paints the people that helped as the ones that saved it from being a catastrophic disaster for much of Europe.

Do you think he'll watch it?

I'm now in a loop of watching news reports and documentaries about it. To find out how accurate the show was.

I'm in two minds. I'm sure I'll love it but is it worth the anxiety and nightmares which I'm sure will follow? 😂
You have to watch it! It ticks so many of the boxes I'm interested in and it was really well done (apart from the accents). It was pretty sad at times, but wasn't that grusome apart from one scene in hospital with men dying of radiation exposure.

Best TV show I've seen in quite a while, although hoping no sequel 😓

We’ve just finished the final two episodes tonight.

It’s been brilliant but very sad and horrific, not something I’d rewatch but memorable to say the least.

We've just found it and watched the first 3 episodes back to back, which was draining!! I'm a bit ashamed to admit my knowledge of what happened is very sketchy but I'm resisting launching into the land of google as I want to watch the whole series first. We watching it with our 13 and 15 year old and the youngest one couldnt believe it actually happened. He assumed it was a made for TV drama

I was brave and watched it - episode one on Tuesday then the last 4 yesterday back to back.

I like to think Legasov would be proud this was made and everyone knows the truth. I just feel nervous about Jared Harris as a scientist after Dr Ashford in Resident Evil!

After watching the last episode and the build up to the accident I'm tempted to watch 1 again so I have a full loop 😂

So harrowing and humbling. Loved it!

After watching the last episode and the build up to the accident I'm tempted to watch 1 again so I have a full loop 😂
I'm just about to do that 🤣

Someone from the guardian gave this a 3/5 because the first episode was confusing - that's the point!

I'm just about to do that 🤣

Someone from the guardian gave this a 3/5 because the first episode was confusing - that's the point!
It's obvious you are only meant to know as much as they do in the first episode... the whole point of the series is finding out what happened...oh my days 😂 I expected more from The Guardian!

I just finished watching it last night and absolutely loved it. It was so beautifully done.

Well I‘m a wee bit late but I a would love to watch it. However I have seen clips on youtube and they‘ve given me nightmares, so I should probably stay clear 🥲