Cheer - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone watched this?

I'm off work sick and I've just binged through it, perfect sick day TV!

I knew that cheerleading wasn't just pompoms and dancing but I didn't quite realise how intense it is. The coach is a bit insane in the way she pushes them through training even when they are pretty badly injured.

Also I cannot stand Gabi Butler's family.

Reactions: 19
I started this today and it's really interesting. You should watch cheer squad on Netflix if you like this, it's a very similar show. I've watched that one twice 😂

Reactions: 4
Is this suitable for my 12 year old? She’s a cheerleader so would love it but puts me off that it’s a 15.
Some of the cheerleaders have quite sad backstories which are talked about alongside the cheer practise stuff, one's mum died, one had a neglectful dad, one girl has some nudes leaked on twitter and at one point one of the coaches talks about how he attempted suicide. It's not glorified in anyway though.
The only other thing is the language, mainly duck and witch.

I think it depends on how mature your 12 year old is and how you feel about those topics and the swearing. Maybe watch it together and then you can talk her through any of the more sensitive topics.

Some of the cheerleaders have quite sad backstories which are talked about alongside the cheer practise stuff, one's mum died, one had a neglectful dad, one girl has some nudes leaked on twitter and at one point one of the coaches talks about how he attempted suicide. It's not glorified in anyway though.
The only other thing is the language, mainly duck and witch.

I think it depends on how mature your 12 year old is and how you feel about those topics and the swearing. Maybe watch it together and then you can talk her through any of the more sensitive topics.
Thank you that’s really helpful, I’ll watch it with her 👍🏻

Reactions: 1
Gabi's parents are something else... I dont know if anyone on here watched "Cheerleaders" on youtube but it documented a lot of Gabi's earlier days in Cheer. Her Mother has definitely gotten worse. She seemed a little kooky in the youtube series but now she has transformed into a 100% momager that just seems to see her daughter (who seems genuinely talented, sweet and hardworking) as a complete cash cow.

I know Gabi has responded to all of the negative tweets etc. saying her family are super supportive but that does not come across at all...

Reactions: 6
Gabi's parents are something else... I dont know if anyone on here watched "Cheerleaders" on youtube but it documented a lot of Gabi's earlier days in Cheer. Her Mother has definitely gotten worse. She seemed a little kooky in the youtube series but now she has transformed into a 100% momager that just seems to see her daughter (who seems genuinely talented, sweet and hardworking) as a complete cash cow.

I know Gabi has responded to all of the negative tweets etc. saying her family are super supportive but that does not come across at all...
I found her Dad worse, the way he spoke to all the girls in his family was awful. When she was trying to do school work and they were going on at her about making a YouTube Ad video and posting pictures in Instagram to advertise the sisters bikini business which they only started to exploit Gabi in the first place.

It was hard watching the pressure get to her and how it effected her cheerleading because her head was all over the place.

Reactions: 9
Honestly Gabi’s parents are awful. Especially when they are portrayed alongside teens talking about serious issues. They did not come off well.

I really enjoyed the show though esp Morgan and Jerry who seem like lovely people.

If anyone is interested, an update!
Morgan finished at Navarro, Jerry is back at Navarro despite going to UOL for a bit, Gabi is our making money from sponsorship and has joined another team, Lexi is out living her life maybe back at college? This was all just gleaned from their instas so it is 100%!

If anyone is interested, an update!
Morgan finished at Navarro, Jerry is back at Navarro despite going to UOL for a bit, Gabi is our making money from sponsorship and has joined another team, Lexi is out living her life maybe back at college? This was all just gleaned from their instas so it is 100%!
I think a fair few of them have moved over to cheer at Texas Tech. Austin and Sherbs definitely have and reading into an insta comment I think Morgan is too.

I bloody loved this show - I really hope they make a season 2 but I’m not sure if it would be the same with different team members. I’m low key in love with Morgan!

I found her Dad worse, the way he spoke to all the girls in his family was awful. When she was trying to do school work and they were going on at her about making a YouTube Ad video and posting pictures in Instagram to advertise the sisters bikini business which they only started to exploit Gabi in the first place.

It was hard watching the pressure get to her and how it effected her cheerleading because her head was all over the place.
The dad is a total weirdo. The way he actually got excited for his daughter to post bikini photos was just weird. She’s treated like a business without any consideration for how she feels as a person.

I think a fair few of them have moved over to cheer at Texas Tech. Austin and Sherbs definitely have and reading into an insta comment I think Morgan is too.

I bloody loved this show - I really hope they make a season 2 but I’m not sure if it would be the same with different team members. I’m low key in love with Morgan!
aw that is fab! Unrelated but honestly watching Sherbs take that fall was awful!

I hope so too! Even if they did different teams or something?

Reactions: 2
I watched it last night and I take my hat off to all of them! They are so committed and driven, it's really admirable. I felt tired just watching them practice.

I thought that Jerry and Morgan were so sweet. I loved the way the Jerry gently encouraged La'Darius to call Allie, it just shows the type of person he is.

Gabi's parents literally just use her as a cash cow. I really didn't like the way her parents spoke to her, considering even they admitted that she was a great money making scheme. I hope that when she retires from Cheer she has something to fall back on as I don't think her parents have considered that this won't last forever.

Absolutely love this show. I know a few cheerleaders here in Scotland who used to go to Florida to compete and had done since they were little girls. Massive issue they always had was that cheerleading wasn't classed as a sport so wasn't taken very serious, but I believe it now is? After watching that, the physical and mental strength cheerleading actually involves proves just how tough it really is and it is deserving of sport status. These people are fascinating to watch - mainly because I find bending down an effort let alone these guys doing crazy back flips one after the other. Gerry (sp?) is the most uplifting guy, what a gem!

Reactions: 3
I have just found this show and I can see me watching the full series before I go to my bed lol.
I used to cheer when younger and no-one outside the cheer world believed it was challenging. People still believe it’s all Poms and high kicks when it’s bloody hard!

Has anyone watched this?

I'm off work sick and I've just binged through it, perfect sick day TV!

I knew that cheerleading wasn't just pompoms and dancing but I didn't quite realise how intense it is. The coach is a bit insane in the way she pushes them through training even when they are pretty badly injured.

Also I cannot stand Gabi Butler's family.
I cannot stand Gabi Butler's family either! I find her dad so creepy :sick:

Just on the last epidode now, loved it!! Agree with the comments about Gabi's parents, god they were something else. Morgan was so sweet!!!

I was really shocked when Gabi's mum said she should eat Jack fruit and no other food for 12 hrs! Totally encouraging an eating disorder. Thankfully Gabi seemed to ignoring this advice and eating normally.

Reactions: 5