Cat inappropriately peeing!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi everyone !

Id love some advice on what to do about our male cat (aged 9) who is continually peeing on a chair in our kitchen

we got an armchair to fill a corner in our kitchen diner about 3 months ago , and almost immediately when it was delivered our older cat (we have 3, 2 males and 1 female ) peed on it . He has now continually been doing this probably once a week for the last 3 months and we have tried everything to get him to stop but we just can’t seem to get him to . The first time we did it we put it down to a new chair and him being unsettled , but the chair hasn’t moved and he still continues to pee there . I caught him in the act the first time but now usually he does it when he knows nobody is around , so I guess he knows it’s naughty .

He is usually a litter tray user and we’ve had no issues with him urinating or pooping anywhere other than he is meant to and we have had him through some big life events : 3 house moves , 2 new cats joining the family , 2 kids being born , etc . We’ve been in our current house around 7 months and 3 months ago was the first incident . So he is not usually an easily stressed out cat !

we shut the cats in the kitchen at night so they can access their food and water and and the cat flap , and we recently installed a camera in there to see , and yep it is that cat who is doing it , and he usually does it in the middle of the night

We asked The vet about it and she said he isn’t showing signs of having a UTI or anything else , so it is probably behavioural , but other than removing stressors and cleaning with an enzyme cleaning product she couldn’t advise much beyond that to get him to stop and these things haven’t worked

short of getting rid of the chair (which I love , and is so useful to have in the kitchen and makes it such a social space) I’m lost on what to do !!!

any advice would be greatly welcome 🙏🏼

sorry for the long ramble !

You could try mixing lemon in with the enzyme cleaner, the smell might put him off.

The main issue you've got is that because the smell of urine is there, he'll keep going back to the same place. You'll never get rid of it enough that he won't be able to smell it (even if you can't) so the next plan of action is to try and mask it.

You could also febreeze it to death if you can stand the smell. One with a citrus smell if they make one.

Reactions: 2
Yes you'll definitely need an enzyme cleaner that works on cat wee - I think you can get them in most pet stores. You've got to really soak it. You should also discourage him going on it. I've heard putting tin foil down works as cats don't like the sound. You might have to cover the top of the chair when you're not in.

You can also put a litter tray next to the chair, to influence him in using the tray in the same area rather than the chair itself.

Reactions: 1
I have a problem also with my kitten randomly urinating outside of the litter tray - has her since July and she’s done it maybe 6 times so it’s not too often. Usually on clean washing or on things that should not be where they are placed (like a towel placed on the floor). Put it down to behaviour, did a urine sample which was fine. Also she doesn’t urinate in the one room which is usually more messy so she must just be used to things being out of place in that room.
She pool’s on the floor today which she’s never done before, I hope this won’t be a new thing. But she did seem to be wanting to get into one of the trays just before but my other cat was in it. I don’t know why she didn’t just go to another tray though! After that she jumped onto the litter storage bin I have as I had it out/open as I was cleaning their trays. She knocked it over then went into it and urinated into the litter - can’t even be mad as at least she urinated in litter but had to throw the whole storage away as would’ve been a a nightmare to clean luckily wasn’t much litter left.

I’ve done these things:
- 2 cats so 3 litter trays all in different rooms. Also advised to have one open tray if yours are covered, I didn’t do this but it’ll be my next step if it carries on. Do your cats have access to all the litter trays at night?
- feliway diffuser however probably will change to pet remedy as it’s cheaper

Could you remove the chair for a few weeks? As I’ve read sometimes they need retraining so maybe removing the place he urinates May retrain him into using the litter tray again?