Carry On Films

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I absolutely love them and they officially finished before I was born. My husband thinks I’m tragic still watching them but they are gentle comedy and you know what you’re getting.
My favourite is watching Joan Sims trying not to laugh in a lot of the scenes, especially Don’t Lose Your Head with Charles Hawtrey in the rose arbor when he says ‘your brother, the count’ and she nearly goes 😂

Reactions: 6
I do love a Carry on film.. I grew up on them. My favourite ones are carry on screaming. carry on matron and carry on camping. I do love the cruising one as well. I remember watching carry on screaming when I was little. I was scared of oddbod 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Love Matron, Again Doctor, Camping, Convenience but my favourite is Carry on Abroad. I think I have my weekend sorted 😂

Reactions: 5
Here is some useless trivia for you, Peter Butterworth and Joan Sims both appeared in Dr Who,

Peter appeared in two stories under the same character, the meddling monk in the 60's, the character had a Tardis.
Joan appeared in one of story during the Colin Baker years.

Reactions: 2
Here is some useless trivia for you, Peter Butterworth and Joan Sims both appeared in Dr Who,

Peter appeared in two stories under the same character, the meddling monk in the 60's, the character had a Tardis.
Joan appeared in one of story during the Colin Baker years.
Don;t talk to any Whovians about Peter Butterworths character. You'll have a one half of fandom saying 'It's the earliest incarnation of the Master' and other saying 'No it isn't'.

• Haha
I absolutely love them and they officially finished before I was born. My husband thinks I’m tragic still watching them but they are gentle comedy and you know what you’re getting.
My favourite is watching Joan Sims trying not to laugh in a lot of the scenes, especially Don’t Lose Your Head with Charles Hawtrey in the rose arbor when he says ‘your brother, the count’ and she nearly goes 😂
Joan Sims was one of my favourite members of the gang, she was a brilliant comedy actress. One of my favourite scenes with her in, is in Carry on Cleo. Kenneth Williams as Julius Ceaser has returned from his travels, and faces the wrath of his wife played by Joan. He tries to appease her with souvenirs from his travels. He says -
"But I've got other gifts for you dear. I've got onions from Spain."
Joan retorts "I've got some Spanish onions."
Kenneth continues "I've got cheeses from Holland."
I've got some Dutch cheeses", Joan replies.
"And stones from far off Gaul."
To which Charles Hawtrey replies -
"Shes got gall stones an all".
As Joan and Charlie turn away from the camera, you can see Joan trying not to laugh. Her timing was brilliant.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Joan Sims was amazing and was born in the town I am from. My son went to nursery in the building she lived in by Laindon Railway Station.

Even though there was a nursery upstairs (don’t think the nursery is there any more) the walls downstairs had various photographs of Joan lining the walls.

My Mum in Law went to school with her (different years) and had the same drama teacher. The teacher used to call my Mum in Law “another Joan Sims” and she got offered a place at drama school which her father refused to allow her to accept.

Then again I think the acting profession brought its own demons for Joan so maybe my Mum in Law had a lucky escape.

Reactions: 7
I always though Joan Simms had the most beautiful, kind eyes. She's my favourite Carry On actor. There are a few docs on Sky about the CO films. I watched one the other day and Joan Simms was talking about how another cast member pranked her by filling her wine glass with gin instead of water. It then showed the scene (the director loved her reaction and kept the scene take in) afterwards and it was hilarious. Both me and my husband for giggling for ages afterwards.

I just think they are great, old fashioned, a bit date - so what! - British films.

I just think they are great, old fashioned, a bit date - so what! - British films.
It's been summed up best by Quentin Tarantino, who said "No one ever said the Carry On movies were art, but they were very funny,"

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I always though Joan Simms had the most beautiful, kind eyes. She's my favourite Carry On actor. There are a few docs on Sky about the CO films. I watched one the other day and Joan Simms was talking about how another cast member pranked her by filling her wine glass with gin instead of water. It then showed the scene (the director loved her reaction and kept the scene take in) afterwards and it was hilarious. Both me and my husband for giggling for ages afterwards.

A similar thing happened in one of the Pink Panther films. There is a bit where he asks the hotel receptionist if his dog bites and he says no, then bites him.
They put cannabis in his pipe so is stoned as hell in the scene 😂

Reactions: 3
I love the Carry On movies, and I am also fascinated by most of the actors.

The Kenneth Williams Diaries is a fantastic read. It is rather sad, but also very amusing. I felt like I was living his life, as I read through it,

Charles Hawtrey is another interesting character. A raging alcoholic, who was very indiscreet in his love life - despite homosexuality being illegal for most of his adult life. He didn’t bother pretending.
I heard that he could be really rude to fans asking for autographs, telling them to f***k off. His drinking around the clock probably contributed to his rudeness. He also took his mother almost everywhere with him (even she was suffering with advanced dementia).

Kenneth Williams had close friendships with Hattie Jaques, Joan Sims and Barbara Windsor. He even went along on honeymoon with Barbara, when she married Ronnie Knight.
He couldn’t stand Sid James..

They were a huge part of my childhood. I loved watching Carry on Screaming every Halloween. Great ensemble casts.

Great to see Joan Sims getting a lot of credit. She was my fave too. I also remember her for playing Lady Fox-Custard in Simon & The Witch on kids TV 😊

Last edited:
I was brought up watching them, perfect escapism. They could never get away with it now. I love On The Buses and those 60s films like "cheeky" Doctor In Clover. And my mum bought me the Confessions Of....boxset years ago haha

I absolutely loved carry on teacher when I was young 🤣 I watched it over and over and over

Reactions: 1
I love the Carry On movies, and I am also fascinated by most of the actors.

The Kenneth Williams Diaries is a fantastic read. It is rather sad, but also very amusing. I felt like I was living his life, as I read through it,

Charles Hawtrey is another interesting character. A raging alcoholic, who was very indiscreet in his love life - despite homosexuality being illegal for most of his adult life. He didn’t bother pretending.
I heard that he could be really rude to fans asking for autographs, telling them to f***k off. His drinking around the clock probably contributed to his rudeness. He also took his mother almost everywhere with him (even she was suffering with advanced dementia).

Kenneth Williams had close friendships with Hattie Jaques, Joan Sims and Barbara Windsor. He even went along on honeymoon with Barbara, when she married Ronnie Knight.
He couldn’t stand Sid James..
Echoing the recommendation for the Kenneth Williams Diaries. ...they were a fascinating but sad read.

Yes he hated Sid James and didn’t pull any punches in his diaries about him. Even when Sid’s death was announced he made a catty comment about it in his diary.

My Grandmother was very good friends with Louisa hiis (Kenneth’s) mother, I met her several times as child but never met Kenneth. I gather he didn’t like children though so that’s probably a good thing lol.

I have also read Kenneths diaries,laugh out loud,so clever and very sad,loved his expression ‘touch of the Barclays’🤣 his weird things re his kitchen etc.