Carrie Hope Fletcher #6 Over 800 books and she's reading tattle

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember on GG - or perhaps it was here - there was a user who did a chapter by chapter account of In The Time We Lost (I might have miswrote the title) and it was thoroughly enjoyable!
That was me! I've also taken a break since GG - I didn't realise that everyone had moved over here! Much preferring Tattle.

Intrigued to see what Carrie's next book will be and how she'll self-insert this time. Looking at Twitter she seems to have a new book idea.

Love all the work @agirlofnoimportance has put in to breaking down When the Curtain Falls. You really do have a wonderful way with words.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
She posts this but with the exception of Scott she barely likes any of their IG posts or gives them much of a mention (except didn’t she promote Louise’s #gifted book?). Not a single like for Sophie’s Disenchanted show. She’ll say BOUNDARIES! I say it looks weird.

It was all about Mollie at one point but this is the first time she’s mentioned her in months or longer.

Attachments

Reactions: 6
She posts this but with the exception of Scott she barely likes any of their IG posts or gives them much of a mention (except didn’t she promote Louise’s #gifted book?). Not a single like for Sophie’s Disenchanted show. She’ll say BOUNDARIES! I say it looks weird.

It was all about Mollie at one point but this is the first time she’s mentioned her in months or longer.
I've said before but Carrie doesn't appear to have many friends. I'm not saying this is a bad thing and I know we don't see everything she does. However, I remember one time she blamed barely seeing her friends because of "work commitments" but we've all seen other West End actors do things with their free time.

I'm aware that doing eight shows a week can take up a lot of time but you'd have time to see them, if you made that time.

I don't think it's boundaries, I genuinely believe she doesn't have many friends and that's okay. She seems to spend a lot of time alone from what we can see. What exactly she and Oliver do together? (I know we're in lockdown but still)

Her "boundaries" are ridiculous and non existent.

Reactions: 7

Surely you’d tag your boyfriend and your brother/sister-in-law in this, as well as friends. I can’t wait to spend garden time with my family. Seems odd that they aren’t the first people she’d think to tag in it?

Reactions: 2
Surely you’d tag your boyfriend and your brother/sister-in-law in this, as well as friends. I can’t wait to spend garden time with my family. Seems odd that they aren’t the first people she’d think to tag in it?

I guess she sees Oliver daily. Perhaps she chose ppl she doesn't see

One thing that always sticks out to me regarding the jealousy/potential bitterness is the fact that she never mentioned that Celinde (who she was still super close with at the time) was in a major Hollywood movie. Now obviously not posting about something isn’t necessarily indicative of someone’s feelings, but this is Carrie ‘I’m going to live tweet my SIL on a reality show’ Fletcher we’re talking about. Look at how she’s singing Scott’s praises (as a friend should) for being on tv at the moment, and yet not a peep about Rocketman at the time.

Carrie strikes me as the kind of woman who sees other woman as competition subconsciously, for whatever reason. Maybe it stems from going to an all girls school, or just because she’s a competitive person by nature, who knows

Reactions: 16
One thing that always sticks out to me regarding the jealousy/potential bitterness is the fact that she never mentioned that Celinde (who she was still super close with at the time) was in a major Hollywood movie. Now obviously not posting about something isn’t necessarily indicative of someone’s feelings, but this is Carrie ‘I’m going to live tweet my SIL on a reality show’ Fletcher we’re talking about. Look at how she’s singing Scott’s praises (as a friend should) for being on tv at the moment, and yet not a peep about Rocketman at the time.

Carrie strikes me as the kind of woman who sees other woman as competition subconsciously, for whatever reason. Maybe it stems from going to an all girls school, or just because she’s a competitive person by nature, who knows
She craves male attention. Her books are always filled with antagonists that are female and she talks about them as any pick me woman would.

She is not one of them ladies that stick up for other women, not to mention minorities. No matter what she posts about on her insta. She has done zero advocating.

Reactions: 13
So what she does say is a connection back to her own show? I mean you could just say your friend looks great 😂 Kinda the same with her latest video, what always wrong with doing the Hamilton tag and then making the Heathers one a separate video afterwards if you really wanted to do it? Just stands out so much when she has to bring everything back to her CV

Attachments

Reactions: 8
Why can't she talk about other people('s accomplishments) without making it about herself?

Reactions: 13
So here are the next few! There are less chapters in this post just because it makes sense with the story-these chapters are set in the present, and the next few are in the past, so I'll do them all together in the next post. I'm so glad so many of you are enjoying reading these and I really appreciate the kind words! I'm just having fun (well, sort of fun) but thank you for taking the time to write them! These next few chapters are some of my least favourite in the book, so please, enjoy :)

@DietGossip-Yes, she's called Olive Green! Seriously. I wasn't going to dignify her name with a comment on it lol. Carrie's names are usually like this; there's a character in On The Other Side called Sonny Shine, so after that, Olive Green sounds almost normal.

The first thing you need to know about Chapter Twelve is that, whatever it is is, it isn’t worth it. It wins the prize for the chapter I’ve hated the most so far; I haven’t been this angry since Olive’s “Not Like Other Girls” rant. I’ve returned to the Os real names for clarity but know that I’m saying them with the same distain as I said Orange and Onion. The whole chapter is just 1) Olive walks the last ten feet towards the theatre and sees Oscar 2) Oscar tell Tamara he’s not interested in her 3) Olive and Oscar have a chat in Olive’s dressing room which resolves nothing. That is well and truly it. Nothing in the plot moves forward, we don’t hear anything about the show, it’s just all Oscar-loves-Olive-not-Tamara-but-can’t-get-it-together, like we’ve heard a hundred times before. A whole chapter of these idiots talking in circles. I don’t remember getting this vexed the first time around, but maybe reading it more analytically has opened my eyes to its true pointlessness.

The thing is, a lot of it isn’t even written particularly badly, and that’s what’s so frustrating. Olive’s interaction with the barrister felt genuine, her feelings come across well, and her situation is relatable. It’s just boring subject matter which certainly wasn’t due an entire chapter. Oh, and of course, Tamara is written with all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop. This is a good opportunity to mention another general point about Carrie’s writing in this book; the handling of which point of view we’re following. Mostly, we switch between Olive and Oscar without so much as an asterisk to spilt them up. The other POV characters are Fawn and Walter. Sometimes we do get a clear page break, but generally, one paragraph is Olive’s POV and the next directly after is Oscar’s. I don’t mind that, although it’s not the clearest it could be, but suddenly, for no reason, and for just one sentence, we are suddenly following Tamara’s point of view. She is not a POV character, and I did wonder if I’d misunderstood, but I’m not going mad, we definitely get Tamara’s thoughts from inside her head, that Oscar had no way of knowing. It’s a bit clumsy, is all.

Anyway, so we’re supposed to look down on Tamara for wearing a pink coat now. Why do the “mean girls” always wear pink? We’re not even told whether it’s a Wednesday. Tamara’s dialogue is vapid to the point of parody. She speaks in short, simple sentences, never more than a few words long, and usually in the form of demands. I want to give props to Carrie for writing a character who doesn’t speak in exactly the same way as Olive, but it feels so mean-spirited. During her conversation with Oscar, she actually says, in response to Oscar telling her that he likes Olive: “You like me!” That’s the whole of her answer. Like an elementary school playground. Soon after, like the sexy mistress in a bad movie, she tells Oscar “You can kiss her and me.” As if Tamara would be okay with that after all her huffing and puffing over Oscar and Olive being together! It’s well established that she wants Oscar to herself. Her lack of morals here and willingness to be “the other woman” is just part of her cartoony characterisation.

So, for absolutely no reason other than to serve the narrative and to give Oscar a big realisation that he’s already had about twelve times, Tamara asks Oscar how he would feel if he saw Olive kiss someone else. This makes him realise wow, he actually would be gutted because he totally wuvs Olive so much. Again. So Oscar tells Tamara he wants Olive, and lo and behold, Olive was listening to the whole thing. Surely now, in this simplistic story structure, Olive should also have had this big realisation too that Oscar really does like her more than Tamara, and they should be skipping happily into the sunset? Nah. More contrived arguments. And they go on for sooooooooooo long. The rest of the chapter, in fact, is just one long conversation between Olive and Oscar. Oscar uses his get-out-of-jail-free card and says that he **technically** didn’t do anything wrong as they weren’t together, and in fairness, Olive is rightly pissed off. The scene reads almost like a script; loads of dialogue with little interludes of description. I would say that this is meant to symbolise a play within a play, but I’m not giving it that much credit. The upshot is, nothing has changed and the kiss with Tamara might as well have not happened, because these idiots are back where they started. They’re not on and not off, they still have feeling for each other, but they’re giving it a cooling off period before they try and define their relationship again.

So my question is WHAT WAS THE POINT? WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ANY OF THIS I WANT MY TIME BACK

I’ve calmed down.

Olive’s male friends in the cast offer to beat Oscar up for hurting her. Friends do make these jokey kinds of threats after a breakup-I know I have-but Olive’s reaction is weird. She says “Now, now boys.” to them, like she’s their fifty-year-old teacher and they’re kids in her class. It’s just so patronising. So…Olive. Oh, and Howard (one of the male friends. I’ve not mentioned him before now and you’ve not noticed him missing because he is basically Doug #2 with less personality) says “You’re a saint, Olive Green. A bloody saint.”. I’ve avoided saying Olive is literally Carrie before now, because I don’t think that’s fair, but this is Carrie as a writer calling her self-insert character (aka herself) a saint. Make what you will of that.

Anyway, it’s opening night and everyone’s excited. Oscar is miserable and staying pretty isolated from the rest of the cast, which is understandable, but they all rally around Olive because she is so lovely and special and perfect. Sammy (the dancer in the show that Jane and Tamora called a whale) hangs out in Olive’s dressing room to prove that she is capable of having female friends. It’s the first time I think in the whole book that Olive has interacted with a woman in a non-combative way. I’m going to talk about Sammy in a minute, but for now, just know that the conversation they have doesn’t pass the Bechdel test as it’s just a re-run of Olive’s convo with the boys earlier where they jokingly threaten Olive, mixed in with “you’re the nicest person in the world, Olive” and “give him another chance, because the rest of the cast have nothing better to do than speculate about your love lives!” That’s barely an exaggeration. It’s pretty much what she says.

After dinner, Olive introduces her friends to Walter. I’m a bit confused as to how none of them but Olive have met him before, as he’s always around the theatre. It did feel a little bit like “look at superstar Olive deigning to talk to the little people backstage, isn’t she a saint?” Anyway, it’s established again that the whole theatre has dodgy electrics, presumably because Fawn likes to mess with them. Olive has a present at stage door for her-two dozen roses, which she thinks must be from her agent (no prizes for guessing who really sent them).

But before we find out who the sender is, we get ANOTHER repeat of the let’s-kill-Oscar-but-give-him-another-chance conversation. This is our THIRD IN ONE CHAPTER. This time, it’s from Howard. I did want to give some credit where credit is due when it comes to this character. Carrie manages to introduce that Howard is gay without her usual “This is Howard. He is gay.”, which I respected. Props. If Carrie managed to flesh out all of her characters that subtly and well, I’d be writing a different review. But their conversation is just more of the same, really, with Howard’s take being “take him back but make him sweat”.

So Olive gets back to her dressing room, and find out to no one’s shock but hers that the roses are from Oscar, with a note asking her to meet him when the curtain falls (roll credits), just like Fawn and Walter did. At that moment, all the bulbs in Olive’s room burst, presumably courtesy of Fawn, who was probably rattled by the phrasing of the note. For some reason, Olive calls for a man to save her from the burst bulb, specifically Howard, but Oscar shows up. There’s another confusing change in point of view so vague I can’t actually pinpoint where we stop following Olive and start following Oscar.

A quick word about Sammy. Now, I like Sammy; I remember liking her the first time around too. Carrie writes her quite clumsily as “sassy”-basically, she says “honey” and “gurrl” a lot, but I appreciate the attempt. Here’s my hot take-Sammy should have been the protagonist. She’s a member of the ensemble, much more relatable than a leading lady, and her point of view wouldn’t have come down from a pedestal as a result. We could have got the Oscar/Olive drama through her if we really wanted, as she’s Olive’s friend, but she has a little lovestory herself with Doug that’s much more endearing (at this point in the book, we know they fancy each other, though they both rather sweetly deny it). She is bullied by Tamara and Jane, but stands up for herself. It’s implied that she’s a bigger woman (we don’t know how much bigger), trying to make it in theatre. We could have watched her overcoming the comments about her body and her insecurities in a brutal industry to find love with Doug, work hard, and have a wonderful career onstage. I want that book. Someone tell Carrie I’ve written her a sequel, hahaha.

The opening night show is about to begin! Carrie writes Olive’s excitement and nerves pretty well, as I’m sure she’s writing from experiences. This chapter starts with a few nudge-nudge wink-wink innuendos, which is fine I guess, but this is the first time in the book we’re seeing this, and Doug even says it’s out of character coming from Olive. It does feel disjointed. Still no straight answer as to whether there’s anything going on between Doug and Sammy, but I’m just glad there’s a universe outside of the two Os. After the show, everyone tells Oscar to get back with Olive. It’s basically round four of the same conversation, but this time to Oscar.

But wait, something weird is happening backstage! Olive’s clothes have gone missing-and so have Jane’s pearls (this was actually some clever foreshadowing so props)! Oscar and Olive go on a scavenger hunt to find her clothes, which we find out were stolen by g-g-g-ghosts! Oscar climbs a ladder by himself to retrieve her dress from the rafters, while SPEAKING OUT LOUD TO HIMSELF (oh thank goodness, I thought we’d moved on from that) about how ghosts don’t exist. Right on cue, a disembodied voice whispers “Osssssccccaaaaarrrrrr” and he understandably craps himself. Carrie actually writes this scene pretty well, so props. Fawn’s ghost then “puts on” the dress and communicates to him that Olive is in danger, and he needs Walter to help them. I don’t know why she needed to steal and put on the dress to do this, but I’m quite enjoying the scene, so I’ll let it happen. Fawn finishes with “HE’S COMING FOR HER” which is quite chilling. Again, props, it’s genuinely spooky. Maybe Carrie should start writing ghost stories full time instead of “magic realism”...

It’s the afterparty and the director tells Olive how well she did, which is fine, and maybe the first time in the book that someone is praising her with a reason to do so. Olive and Oscar talk about their relationship and Olive actually says “Everyone’s rooting for us”, as if the rest of the cast have nothing better to do except sit around and talk about their relationship. Which, as we know from Sammy, Doug, and Howard, they don’t. Olive is stull upset that their relationship is undefined and Oscar doesn’t want to commit, which is fair. Again, it’s a load of talking in circles, page after page of pretty much just dialogue, then they kiss.

But OH MY GOD FINALLY SOMETHING HAPPENS. It’s a horrible something, but a something none the less. So Doug has been crushed by a falling light-or light-rig, it’s not very clear. Anyway, point is, he’s been crushed, and Oscar quickly figures out from his experience that a ghost is to blame. The first time I read this, I thought he was dead, not in the least because Carrie constantly describes the scene as “Doug’s body”, which usually indicates that someone is dead, you know. But he’s still kicking, if grievously injured, and he might lose his arm. It’s absolutely terrible, especially for such a nice character, but sadly we don’t know him any better than knowing that he lives to praise Olive, so sadly there’s not much attachment. Now, there’s the climax for the Sammy story! Doug and Sammy working through the injury together and rebuilding their life and career, overcoming set-backs and coming out stronger. You know, like real people have to. Not the charmed lives of Octopus and Orangutan, neither of whom suffer ANY real setbacks in the book.

Anyway, Tamara jumps ship instantly, but Jane get a little bit of a redemption arc and calls the ambulance. It would have been lovely to see Tamara coming together with Olive to help, even though none of them can do very much-even the two of them sharing a little moment would have been great. I can’t hate Tamara too much for jumping ship-even though it’s not what I or other people would do, no one knows how they’d react in an emergency, even though the book demonises her for it.

However, I do have three big issues with the scene.

• It’s happened so quickly; despite it being the most dramatic thing to happen so far, it’s not given anything like the amount of words that Oscar and Olive’s stupid arguments are given. I’m not sure if Carrie just wanted to play down the gore, which is fine as I imagine most of her readers are young, but honestly it just feels like this potentially-career-ending injury for Doug isn’t anything like as important as these two idiots whining.
  • When Fawn warned Oscar that Olive was in danger, she couldn’t have done a real solid and warned him about Doug too? Or was Doug just canon fodder? Chopped liver? Guess so…he’s not special like Olive so he doesn’t get guardian theatre angels. We find out that the ghost who hurt Doug thought he was someone else, which I guess could explain it, but still.
  • We never find out whether Doug was okay. This book gets an epilogue and everything (WHICH I HAVE THOUGHTS ABOUT I’LL SHARE DOWN THE LINE), but not a word about poor Doug. Did he lose his arm? Did he work again? How much money did the production lose in the lawsuit? I guess it was an act of god, I mean ghost, but still. But STILL.
I actually forgot there's supposed to be a ghost plot with all the petty love drama going on. Does Carrie know the basics of a three act plot structure?

I actually forgot there's supposed to be a ghost plot with all the petty love drama going on. Does Carrie know the basics of a three act plot structure?
She's the best writer alive how dare you teach her anything to make her books good and readable.

The edits came in so late as the woman can't send the draft to the publishers on time. I don't think Carrie would listen to anyones else advise anyway, she's big headed and thinks that she's the bee knees in every medium she forces herself into.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I find those closed-eye selfies so ridiculous. Tom’s done one of him lying in the sun with eyes closed too. It really is a Fletcher special.

Reactions: 9
Doesn’t that big increase correlate with her TV appearance with IKIHAH (aka Heart of Stone!)? Her Twitter numbers increased by 300 at that time, though she’s lost another 200 since.

We haven’t had a full underwear selfie for a while. She does that when numbers are dropping under the guise of being body positive.

Reactions: 4
Conspiracy theory: That was the perfect time for her to buy followers because people would assume she would get them from the tv appearance 👀
2.5k followers for her rendition of the song sounds like a lot tbh

Reactions: 10
So here are the next few! There are less chapters in this post just because it makes sense with the story-these chapters are set in the present, and the next few are in the past, so I'll do them all together in the next post. I'm so glad so many of you are enjoying reading these and I really appreciate the kind words! I'm just having fun (well, sort of fun) but thank you for taking the time to write them! These next few chapters are some of my least favourite in the book, so please, enjoy :)

@DietGossip-Yes, she's called Olive Green! Seriously. I wasn't going to dignify her name with a comment on it lol. Carrie's names are usually like this; there's a character in On The Other Side called Sonny Shine, so after that, Olive Green sounds almost normal.

The first thing you need to know about Chapter Twelve is that, whatever it is is, it isn’t worth it. It wins the prize for the chapter I’ve hated the most so far; I haven’t been this angry since Olive’s “Not Like Other Girls” rant. I’ve returned to the Os real names for clarity but know that I’m saying them with the same distain as I said Orange and Onion. The whole chapter is just 1) Olive walks the last ten feet towards the theatre and sees Oscar 2) Oscar tell Tamara he’s not interested in her 3) Olive and Oscar have a chat in Olive’s dressing room which resolves nothing. That is well and truly it. Nothing in the plot moves forward, we don’t hear anything about the show, it’s just all Oscar-loves-Olive-not-Tamara-but-can’t-get-it-together, like we’ve heard a hundred times before. A whole chapter of these idiots talking in circles. I don’t remember getting this vexed the first time around, but maybe reading it more analytically has opened my eyes to its true pointlessness.

The thing is, a lot of it isn’t even written particularly badly, and that’s what’s so frustrating. Olive’s interaction with the barrister felt genuine, her feelings come across well, and her situation is relatable. It’s just boring subject matter which certainly wasn’t due an entire chapter. Oh, and of course, Tamara is written with all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop. This is a good opportunity to mention another general point about Carrie’s writing in this book; the handling of which point of view we’re following. Mostly, we switch between Olive and Oscar without so much as an asterisk to spilt them up. The other POV characters are Fawn and Walter. Sometimes we do get a clear page break, but generally, one paragraph is Olive’s POV and the next directly after is Oscar’s. I don’t mind that, although it’s not the clearest it could be, but suddenly, for no reason, and for just one sentence, we are suddenly following Tamara’s point of view. She is not a POV character, and I did wonder if I’d misunderstood, but I’m not going mad, we definitely get Tamara’s thoughts from inside her head, that Oscar had no way of knowing. It’s a bit clumsy, is all.

Anyway, so we’re supposed to look down on Tamara for wearing a pink coat now. Why do the “mean girls” always wear pink? We’re not even told whether it’s a Wednesday. Tamara’s dialogue is vapid to the point of parody. She speaks in short, simple sentences, never more than a few words long, and usually in the form of demands. I want to give props to Carrie for writing a character who doesn’t speak in exactly the same way as Olive, but it feels so mean-spirited. During her conversation with Oscar, she actually says, in response to Oscar telling her that he likes Olive: “You like me!” That’s the whole of her answer. Like an elementary school playground. Soon after, like the sexy mistress in a bad movie, she tells Oscar “You can kiss her and me.” As if Tamara would be okay with that after all her huffing and puffing over Oscar and Olive being together! It’s well established that she wants Oscar to herself. Her lack of morals here and willingness to be “the other woman” is just part of her cartoony characterisation.

So, for absolutely no reason other than to serve the narrative and to give Oscar a big realisation that he’s already had about twelve times, Tamara asks Oscar how he would feel if he saw Olive kiss someone else. This makes him realise wow, he actually would be gutted because he totally wuvs Olive so much. Again. So Oscar tells Tamara he wants Olive, and lo and behold, Olive was listening to the whole thing. Surely now, in this simplistic story structure, Olive should also have had this big realisation too that Oscar really does like her more than Tamara, and they should be skipping happily into the sunset? Nah. More contrived arguments. And they go on for sooooooooooo long. The rest of the chapter, in fact, is just one long conversation between Olive and Oscar. Oscar uses his get-out-of-jail-free card and says that he **technically** didn’t do anything wrong as they weren’t together, and in fairness, Olive is rightly pissed off. The scene reads almost like a script; loads of dialogue with little interludes of description. I would say that this is meant to symbolise a play within a play, but I’m not giving it that much credit. The upshot is, nothing has changed and the kiss with Tamara might as well have not happened, because these idiots are back where they started. They’re not on and not off, they still have feeling for each other, but they’re giving it a cooling off period before they try and define their relationship again.

So my question is WHAT WAS THE POINT? WHAT WAS THE POINT OF ANY OF THIS I WANT MY TIME BACK

I’ve calmed down.

Olive’s male friends in the cast offer to beat Oscar up for hurting her. Friends do make these jokey kinds of threats after a breakup-I know I have-but Olive’s reaction is weird. She says “Now, now boys.” to them, like she’s their fifty-year-old teacher and they’re kids in her class. It’s just so patronising. So…Olive. Oh, and Howard (one of the male friends. I’ve not mentioned him before now and you’ve not noticed him missing because he is basically Doug #2 with less personality) says “You’re a saint, Olive Green. A bloody saint.”. I’ve avoided saying Olive is literally Carrie before now, because I don’t think that’s fair, but this is Carrie as a writer calling her self-insert character (aka herself) a saint. Make what you will of that.

Anyway, it’s opening night and everyone’s excited. Oscar is miserable and staying pretty isolated from the rest of the cast, which is understandable, but they all rally around Olive because she is so lovely and special and perfect. Sammy (the dancer in the show that Jane and Tamora called a whale) hangs out in Olive’s dressing room to prove that she is capable of having female friends. It’s the first time I think in the whole book that Olive has interacted with a woman in a non-combative way. I’m going to talk about Sammy in a minute, but for now, just know that the conversation they have doesn’t pass the Bechdel test as it’s just a re-run of Olive’s convo with the boys earlier where they jokingly threaten Olive, mixed in with “you’re the nicest person in the world, Olive” and “give him another chance, because the rest of the cast have nothing better to do than speculate about your love lives!” That’s barely an exaggeration. It’s pretty much what she says.

After dinner, Olive introduces her friends to Walter. I’m a bit confused as to how none of them but Olive have met him before, as he’s always around the theatre. It did feel a little bit like “look at superstar Olive deigning to talk to the little people backstage, isn’t she a saint?” Anyway, it’s established again that the whole theatre has dodgy electrics, presumably because Fawn likes to mess with them. Olive has a present at stage door for her-two dozen roses, which she thinks must be from her agent (no prizes for guessing who really sent them).

But before we find out who the sender is, we get ANOTHER repeat of the let’s-kill-Oscar-but-give-him-another-chance conversation. This is our THIRD IN ONE CHAPTER. This time, it’s from Howard. I did want to give some credit where credit is due when it comes to this character. Carrie manages to introduce that Howard is gay without her usual “This is Howard. He is gay.”, which I respected. Props. If Carrie managed to flesh out all of her characters that subtly and well, I’d be writing a different review. But their conversation is just more of the same, really, with Howard’s take being “take him back but make him sweat”.

So Olive gets back to her dressing room, and find out to no one’s shock but hers that the roses are from Oscar, with a note asking her to meet him when the curtain falls (roll credits), just like Fawn and Walter did. At that moment, all the bulbs in Olive’s room burst, presumably courtesy of Fawn, who was probably rattled by the phrasing of the note. For some reason, Olive calls for a man to save her from the burst bulb, specifically Howard, but Oscar shows up. There’s another confusing change in point of view so vague I can’t actually pinpoint where we stop following Olive and start following Oscar.

A quick word about Sammy. Now, I like Sammy; I remember liking her the first time around too. Carrie writes her quite clumsily as “sassy”-basically, she says “honey” and “gurrl” a lot, but I appreciate the attempt. Here’s my hot take-Sammy should have been the protagonist. She’s a member of the ensemble, much more relatable than a leading lady, and her point of view wouldn’t have come down from a pedestal as a result. We could have got the Oscar/Olive drama through her if we really wanted, as she’s Olive’s friend, but she has a little lovestory herself with Doug that’s much more endearing (at this point in the book, we know they fancy each other, though they both rather sweetly deny it). She is bullied by Tamara and Jane, but stands up for herself. It’s implied that she’s a bigger woman (we don’t know how much bigger), trying to make it in theatre. We could have watched her overcoming the comments about her body and her insecurities in a brutal industry to find love with Doug, work hard, and have a wonderful career onstage. I want that book. Someone tell Carrie I’ve written her a sequel, hahaha.

The opening night show is about to begin! Carrie writes Olive’s excitement and nerves pretty well, as I’m sure she’s writing from experiences. This chapter starts with a few nudge-nudge wink-wink innuendos, which is fine I guess, but this is the first time in the book we’re seeing this, and Doug even says it’s out of character coming from Olive. It does feel disjointed. Still no straight answer as to whether there’s anything going on between Doug and Sammy, but I’m just glad there’s a universe outside of the two Os. After the show, everyone tells Oscar to get back with Olive. It’s basically round four of the same conversation, but this time to Oscar.

But wait, something weird is happening backstage! Olive’s clothes have gone missing-and so have Jane’s pearls (this was actually some clever foreshadowing so props)! Oscar and Olive go on a scavenger hunt to find her clothes, which we find out were stolen by g-g-g-ghosts! Oscar climbs a ladder by himself to retrieve her dress from the rafters, while SPEAKING OUT LOUD TO HIMSELF (oh thank goodness, I thought we’d moved on from that) about how ghosts don’t exist. Right on cue, a disembodied voice whispers “Osssssccccaaaaarrrrrr” and he understandably craps himself. Carrie actually writes this scene pretty well, so props. Fawn’s ghost then “puts on” the dress and communicates to him that Olive is in danger, and he needs Walter to help them. I don’t know why she needed to steal and put on the dress to do this, but I’m quite enjoying the scene, so I’ll let it happen. Fawn finishes with “HE’S COMING FOR HER” which is quite chilling. Again, props, it’s genuinely spooky. Maybe Carrie should start writing ghost stories full time instead of “magic realism”...

It’s the afterparty and the director tells Olive how well she did, which is fine, and maybe the first time in the book that someone is praising her with a reason to do so. Olive and Oscar talk about their relationship and Olive actually says “Everyone’s rooting for us”, as if the rest of the cast have nothing better to do except sit around and talk about their relationship. Which, as we know from Sammy, Doug, and Howard, they don’t. Olive is stull upset that their relationship is undefined and Oscar doesn’t want to commit, which is fair. Again, it’s a load of talking in circles, page after page of pretty much just dialogue, then they kiss.

But OH MY GOD FINALLY SOMETHING HAPPENS. It’s a horrible something, but a something none the less. So Doug has been crushed by a falling light-or light-rig, it’s not very clear. Anyway, point is, he’s been crushed, and Oscar quickly figures out from his experience that a ghost is to blame. The first time I read this, I thought he was dead, not in the least because Carrie constantly describes the scene as “Doug’s body”, which usually indicates that someone is dead, you know. But he’s still kicking, if grievously injured, and he might lose his arm. It’s absolutely terrible, especially for such a nice character, but sadly we don’t know him any better than knowing that he lives to praise Olive, so sadly there’s not much attachment. Now, there’s the climax for the Sammy story! Doug and Sammy working through the injury together and rebuilding their life and career, overcoming set-backs and coming out stronger. You know, like real people have to. Not the charmed lives of Octopus and Orangutan, neither of whom suffer ANY real setbacks in the book.

Anyway, Tamara jumps ship instantly, but Jane get a little bit of a redemption arc and calls the ambulance. It would have been lovely to see Tamara coming together with Olive to help, even though none of them can do very much-even the two of them sharing a little moment would have been great. I can’t hate Tamara too much for jumping ship-even though it’s not what I or other people would do, no one knows how they’d react in an emergency, even though the book demonises her for it.

However, I do have three big issues with the scene.

• It’s happened so quickly; despite it being the most dramatic thing to happen so far, it’s not given anything like the amount of words that Oscar and Olive’s stupid arguments are given. I’m not sure if Carrie just wanted to play down the gore, which is fine as I imagine most of her readers are young, but honestly it just feels like this potentially-career-ending injury for Doug isn’t anything like as important as these two idiots whining.
  • When Fawn warned Oscar that Olive was in danger, she couldn’t have done a real solid and warned him about Doug too? Or was Doug just canon fodder? Chopped liver? Guess so…he’s not special like Olive so he doesn’t get guardian theatre angels. We find out that the ghost who hurt Doug thought he was someone else, which I guess could explain it, but still.
  • We never find out whether Doug was okay. This book gets an epilogue and everything (WHICH I HAVE THOUGHTS ABOUT I’LL SHARE DOWN THE LINE), but not a word about poor Doug. Did he lose his arm? Did he work again? How much money did the production lose in the lawsuit? I guess it was an act of god, I mean ghost, but still. But STILL.
Here are the next few chapters! We're nearly at the end now-just the final chapter and the epilogue after these. Thank you to everyone for their kind words regarding this summary, and I hope you're all enjoying it

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE READING ON-Chapter Nineteen-The Pearl, is the chapter in which the sexual assault occurs. What I've done, and I hope this works for everyone, is I've mentioned where in the chapter the sexual assault is, but I've not talked about it at all other than its location, with absolutely no detail, and I've put my analysis of it in the final spoiler below marked Content Warning 2, so that you don't even have to look at it if you don't want to. In the Chapter Nineteen summary, I've indicated with Content Warning 1 when I'm going to mention it's location, so you can stop reading there if you don't want to read any mention of it at all. Please don't read about it if it's going to affect you, it really isn't worth it and frankly it doesn't affect the plot at all if you miss it.

We’re back in the past now. Just FYI, my question from a previous chapter about Hamish’s position eventually gets answered-he's both an actor and a producer, so him being onstage wasn’t a mistake. I was wrong and dumb lol.

So basically Fawn and Walter are having a secret tryst in the dressing room and rumours are already flying about them. Fawn and Walter are rather sweet together, and they're convincing forbidden lovers. Their scenes together are much better reads than the Oscar and Olive show, so it's a shame that we don't get many of them. But their lovely scene is interrupted by Hamish banging on the door. Walter leaps out of the window and hangs from the pane like a goddamn action hero to listen. We get another decent-ish scene between Hamish and Fawn, where he basically gives her an ultimatum; marry him or he'll ruin her career and make sure she never works again. He's very physical with her and anyone would be intimidated, though Fawn tells him no in no uncertain terms like a goddamn G. But Hamish retorts that if she won't marry him, he can have her killed. Someone called Randall on the street outside has watched Walter climb out of the window; he's one of Hamish's henchmen and he's going to report back what he’s witnessed. The only thing you need to know about Randall is that he’s basically everywhere at all times and SEES ALL. KNOWS ALL. And I mean ALL. But now, Walter, having heard Hamish’s threats, is on a mission, and no one better frick with him. Go get ‘em!

As I’ve mentioned before, Hamish is a scary and worthy villain, however, my description of him as a moustache-twirling cartoon character who ties women to train tracks is absolutely accurate. The trouble is, Carrie’s over-explaining comes in to ruin what would otherwise have been an excellent scene. Hamish’s dialogue has all the subtlety of a reversing truck. Here is an example; in the same paragraph as he gives a cartoony “You are mine, and only mine!” he says, and this is the exact quote, “I’ve been speaking with your father and if you want to remain a start of the stage, you’ll have to marry me, and if you do not, I will make sure your little feet never set foot inside a theatre again.” The trouble with this is that this is the marriage proposal. Although it’s hinted at, this is the first time Hamish has mentioned marriage to Fawn. It would have been much better if Hamish had turned up acting all nice with a flashy ring for Fawn, and when she turned him down, then we could have got the escalation, the violence, and the threat. Instead, we get it all in the same breath. It just feels rushed, especially when we consider that the writer recently spent an entire chapter talking in circles (my nemesis chapter 12). That’s why I keep saying it comes across cartoony-he just bursts into the room like the Kool-Aid guy and starts making threats. With a bit more nuance, Hamish would be a petrifying bad guy. I know I shouldn’t be backseat writing this book, but it feels like this is the kind of pacing and tone thing an editor should have addressed. This kind of rushing is consistent through the rest of the book. Whoever edited this book did Carrie dirty.

Fawn is traumatised from her encounter with Hamish, and Carrie actually writes this very well. She meets Walter after the show and they decide that there’s no way they could run away, hide, or go to the police, even though they totally could, because Hamish is just too powerful. Go overseas, assume new identities, or there’s Fawn’s father, who is as powerful as Hamish if not more, so they could definitely at least try the police with Fawn’s rich daddy backing them. But Walter gets it into his mind that the only thing to do is for him to kill Hamish. Instead of slipping some arsenic into his coffee, or glass into his supper, or dropping a piano on his head because we’re in a cartoon, or any other subtle way to kill someone, Walter decides that because Hamish’s character gets shot in the play, he’s going to mess with the gun they’re using so instead of firing a blank, it’ll fire a real bullet.

Okay.

So Hamish threatens Fawn again, making sure we understand that she’s a damsel in distress. Again, I can’t complain about Fawn being such a thing-it’s set up well in the text, and it isn’t because she’s useless-she just doesn’t have any control. But when Hamish manhandles her, Fawn spits in hisface like a total badass, and Hamish throws her to the floor, snapping her peal necklace. But before he can do anything too terrible to her, Lenny comes to her rescue. He comes back with a strange accent I don’t think he’s ever displayed much of before, saying “Suvern Cross” instead of Southern cross sand “fing” instead of thing. He doesn’t speak like that in previous chapters, so I’m not sure why it’s happening now, but go off I guess.

Anyway, Walter is in tears because he couldn’t save Fawn himself, and it’s actually a lovely moment-we love male vulnerability. They go back to Walter’s crappy apartment, and Fawn says that she wouldn’t take a room at the Ritz over being with Walter. They declare their love for each other, and spend the night together. It’s not clear whether anything happened, but it’s a genuinely nice scene, if a little cheesy.

In a surprising move, Carrie has Randall the henchman choose not to disclose his information to Hamish yet, but instead he uses it to threaten Walter into behaving and doing his job. This is good, subtle writing; Randall zigged when he should have zagged, and I quite enjoyed it. But basically, we are told that Lenny has quit, which Walter instantly knows isn’t true, but under Randall’s threat, he has to step into Lenny’s shoes and take over as the stage door guy. We don’t find out what happened to Lenny just yet, but its hinted that he *Godfather voice* sleeps with da fishes.

Fawn arrives at the theatre and tells Walter that they should run away to America-finally, an actually logical idea. No idea why she didn’t just suggest this first before Walter got his mind set on murder, but go off I guess. The show ends, and Hamish comes to tell her they’ve got to have dinner with Lord and Lady Something to discuss their next production together. Thinking fast, Fawn packs everything in her satchel to run away with Walter, but before she can escape she’s apprehended by Randall, who takes her at gunpoint to a car where Hamish is waiting. If you think this has escalated quickly, you’d be right. It all happens at lightning speed-we go from Fawn and Walter talking about running away, to trying to run away, to Fawn being apprehended at a break-neck pace. And yet we’ve had time to sit around for hours listening to Ocelot and Orca talking in circles. Apparently dinner with Lord and Lady Poshpeople has been forgotten.

Oh God, this is the chapter, isn’t it. I don’t want to re-read this. Hamish and Randall take Fawn into a hotel room, threatening her with a gun and telling her that if she doesn’t do exactly what she’s supposed to, they’ll kill Walter.

Meanwhile, Walter, who has until this point been a man of action, waits nearly an hour before deciding to do anything about Fawn not showing up after the show. It feels very out of character for him. Anyway, he overhears some convenient policemen talking VERY LOUDLY IN THE STREET about someone having their ears cut off, and he deduces that it must be Lenny. At least the poor old bugger is alive, but he’s too scared to talk. I actually quite like this-Carrie set up that something had happened to Lenny, let us worry about him for a bit, then delivered a conclusion. If it wasn’t so clumsy, it’s almost good writing.

Content Warning 1:- This is the scene, and I’m just going to say when it happens without any comment on it. I’m going to talk about it in the last spoiler at the end of this section of the summary, but if you don’t want to read about it at all, just know that the only other significant thing that happens in the chapter is the next day, Fawn gives Walter a pearl to use as a bullet. If you don’t want to read about the sexual assault scene in any way, please stop here.

Okay so I’m of two minds about the next paragraph. I’ll have to explain it very carefully, as I had to read it a few times to understand it. Maybe I’m just dumb, but it’s a bit confusing. Walter gives up trying to look for Fawn straight away, which is again out of character for him, as he’s been established as a romantic and a man of action. I appreciate that he was feeling helpless, but if I thought someone terrible had kidnapped a woman I loved, I’d move heaven and earth to try to find her. I certainly wouldn’t just amble into a pub and start drinking, as Walter does. Walter gets into a fight, and the fight runs parallel to the scene in the hotel room, where Hamish is preparing to assault Fawn. For example, as Walter spills beer on himself, Fawn throws her champagne in Hamish’s face. You get the picture, this goes on. Walter has got into a random barfight and this physical violence mirrors the violence in the hotel room, until Hamish assaults Fawn in the worst way. It’s a weird way to write the scene, and I’m not sure if it works, or doesn’t work. I’ll talk about it more if you want to read it at the end, but for now, I’m moving on.

The next day, Walter comes into work, and Hamish demands that he gives him the keys to all the dressing rooms. Traumatised but resolute, Fawn gives Walter a pearl to use as a bullet. I’m not sure how she’s expecting that to work, but sure. Okay.

So a determined Walter gets ready to load the pearl into the gun, and shares with the reader his own clunky metaphor about how because it’s a pearl from the necklace Hamish snapped, it’s like Hamish’s own violence is ending his life. Almost as if Walter knows he’s in a book. But I digress. Walter and Fawn do feel morally conflicted about the murder, which fleshes out the scene, but ultimately they know it’s what has to be done (even though it isn’t and they could still totally get Fawn’s rich dad to call in the cops, but whatever. I’m totally on board with Hamish dying, btw, but just know it’s not the only solution available to the characters).

During the show, Randall comes into Fawn’s dressing room, locking the door behind him. Fawn feels like Rapunzel trapped in a tower, reminding us again that, yes indeed, we are reading a book by Carrie. So Randall tells Fawn that he’s been watching all of her trysts with Walter in the rafters from the dress circle from the beginning, because he’s somehow everywhere at once watching Fawn and Walter at all times, despite never being mentioned until he sees them through the window of the dressing room. His retroactive presence in those scenes now just feels like an afterthought added later to make Hamish seem more powerful, with spies in the theatre. It’s a bit dumb. Anyway, Randall’s all-seeing eyes have noticed Walter toying with the gun,

because of course they did, he somehow manages to be everywhere at once. He tells Fawn that she’s got to stop the gun from being fired in the shooting scene, because if Hamish gets shot, he’s going to be in the wings with his own gun aimed at Walter, ready to shoot him if Hamish dies. He tells Fawn that if Hamish lives, he’ll see that Walter gets away (hinting that he’ll tell the police that Walter tampered with the gun, although I’m not sure how he’d prove it), and Fawn can marry Hamish as if nothing happened. Fawn is damned if she does and damned if she doesn’t, and it’s very sad, really. So Fawn tries to tell Lawrence, the actor who’s character fires the gun, that something is wrong and he shouldn’t fire, but Lawrence brushes this off as a joke. We live through the shooting scene again, and experience once again that the play’s a clumsy parallel for the Fawn-Walter-Hamish triangle, but go off.

While standing on stage, Fawn decides it’s better to die herself than let Walter die, or to live as Hamish’s wife, so she very bravely/stupidly, depending on your stance, steps in front of the pearl bullet and takes it. Big reveal!

Only the way the other character react to it is a bit confusing. Walter is so shocked and distressed the he vomits, and it’s horrible-you really feel for him. But somehow, the ensemble girls, unnamed and unnoticed up until now, know instantly that Fawn took the bullet deliberately, despite presumably not knowing anything about Fawn and Walter or their plan?!

Anyway, Randall tells Walter to run, but Walter has managed to compose himself in record time and reasons that the guilty finger is already being pointed at Hamish, but my question is WHY THE HELL WOULD HAMISH, IF HE WANTED TO KILL FAWN, LOAD THE GUN THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SHOT AT HIS CHARACTER? He didn’t know that Fawn was going to take the bullet-she didn’t even know until seconds before she did it. So why does Hamish look guilty at all? Maybe I’m being stupid, but I can’t figure it out. Walter even says that Hamish only looks guilty because everyone in the cast hates him and is prepared to decide that he is? It’s all a bit woolly if you ask me.

Anyway, so the audience, realising that something has gone wrong and that Fawn is actually dead, get to their feet in a mark of respect-her final standing ovation. Meanwhile, Randall reminds Walter that he’s the one who loaded the gun that killed Fawn, then slips off into the shadows like his namesake in Monsters Inc.

That’s it. That’s where we’re left. I’ll be covering the final chapter and the epilogue, which are both set in the present, tomorrow. See you then!

So I’m not a writer, but I read a lot of books and watch a lot of booktubers (YouTubers with channels based around books). I’ve heard this more than once, so I can’t attribute it to any one person, but there’s a common piece of writing advice that goes something like: “If you can use anything other than rape, don’t use rape”. What that means is that rape is an incredibly sensitive issue, and if you’re not equipped and educated and researched enough to handle it with that sensitivity…it’s just very bad, and looks bad for you and your story. It also means that rape shouldn’t be used as a lazy backstory filler for any character (you see this especially with female characters, but it can happen with characters of any gender) to explain why they’re so hardened or damaged, but with this book, we have a case for the first definition.

I want to say first that we don’t know Carrie’s life, and we don’t know why she wanted to include it-it could be for any number of reasons, and I’m certainly not going to speculate, or give cause for you to speculate.. I’m also being careful not to talk about Fawn’s reaction to it (or, frankly, her lack thereof) because everyone is different, and no one knows how they’re going to react to something until it happens. It might not be bad writing-she might have just gone into shock over it, and shut down. Totally possible. Or Carrie might have just not wanted to dwell on it in case her readers, who are probably largely young, were upset by it. If that was the case, it shouldn’t have been included at all, but I’m trying to give Carrie the benefit of the doubt here, and not make assumptions based on things I don’t know. I’m just going to talk about the scene in the way it’s presented in the book, as if it was published anonymously, and nothing more

The scene where Fawn is raped is completely unnecessary. We know that Hamish is a creep, we know he’s evil, we know he’s forcing Fawn to marry him. Walter even has the idea to kill him before it happens, so it doesn’t even lead to that. Arguably, it leads to Fawn agreeing to the murder plot, but she could have come to that conclusion herself any number of other ways. We don’t need it-it’s only there for shock value. Afterward, it’s only mentioned once, then forgotten about. Fawn acknowledges that she knows she has been raped, and tells Randall that he should feel guilty for holding her prisoner and allowing it to happen, but otherwise, it has no effect on the story going forward. I suppose you could make a case that it influenced Fawn’s decision to take the bullet, but she’s not thinking about it at all when it happens. I guess it could have unconsciously influenced her, but I’m not sure Carrie is that subtle a writer. In fact, I know she’s not.

To conclude, the rape scene was totally unnecessary. That’s the last time I’m going to mention it. Sorry.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.