Carrie Hope Fletcher #6 Over 800 books and she's reading tattle

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I know the difference between singing teacher and vocal coach (just was wondering why this woman would label herself a singing teacher on one video and a vocal coach on another, but I guess it's because she's both, and labels her videos according to which type of commentary she's doing on each video) - still found it useful to hear your description, though. I agree, Carrie's voice sounded better than it has in a long time on that TV performance, so here's to hoping she keeps seeing a singing teacher after Cinderella!
Sorry, I know that not everybody knows the difference so I offered up the info just in case. I definitely agree that it’s possible she labels the videos depending on what she is listening to and what she finds herself to be commenting on most whether it’s technique or acting ability. I did hear a little bit of straining on Carrie’s new tv performance but I mainly think it comes from vowel placement rather than explicit straining of the vocal chords. As Audrey in the above video says, changing certain vowels just opens everything up and changes the sound. You can even change other parts of words to give a brighter cleaner sound as well. I worked with a student on the song Pulled from Addams Family a few months ago and we turned the word ‘direction’ to direcjan and direczan to hear how it affected the placement of the mixed high note at the end of the song- we found that using ‘direcJan’ helped to place the students mix easier than using the ‘tion’ sound from the actual word which actually gave a more straining sound from their belt. Also it’s so similar to the actual sound that they can use the technique for performances and no one would know the difference.
ALWs preferred person has definitely improved Carrie’s voice and is working wonders, I do hope Carrie sticks with them even when Cinderella is over. If Carrie wants to continue her career, as well as improving her personality, she needs to continue to train her voice, if she doesn’t she will lose it. It happened to Mariah Carey, it can happen to anyone!

Reactions: 4
@agirlofnoimportance - wow. You absolutely shouldn't feel mean or bad writing that. You have a wonderful way with words and you're also very thoughtful to even consider how what you're writing is coming across. (Unlike Carrie...) - I'd 100% read an abridged version of the novel written by yourself!

I remember on GG - or perhaps it was here - there was a user who did a chapter by chapter account of In The Time We Lost (I might have miswrote the title) and it was thoroughly enjoyable!

I've been MIA from this place for a while but I've definitely timed it right coming back!

Mass respect to Moose if you see this. Here's to a prosperous, intelligent, mature return to the West End for you - surrounded with supportive casts who genuinely support you. Not just for an Insta post or a feature in their YT video. I could go on about Carrie's hypocrisy in how she did what she did and for how she treated you, but karma is a twit and sooner or later it will catch up for her.

Sidenote - as a Libra, it deeply baffles me how Carrie is also a Libran. She stinks of Scorpio vibes!

Anyway. It's good to be back.

Reactions: 8
I wonder why Carrie is suddenly pushing all the book content? (Sorry if it's been spoken about new to this thread!)

Reactions: 7
I hope they publish what dates Carrie won’t be performing - I’d go and see it just to see how terrible this panto is, but her voice hurts my ears so I’d much rather see the understudy.

Reactions: 9
I wonder why Carrie is suddenly pushing all the book content? (Sorry if it's been spoken about new to this thread!)
This is pure speculation but I think she believes it will help the sales of her upcoming books.

I have many friends who are booktubers and bookstagrammers. This is a strong community which gains more and more power in the publishing world every day. They support each other’s content and always do cross promotion. As a result, a book that is openly loved by one will often gain so much traction and soon be heaped in positive reviews. It’s word of mouth on steroids.

Sometimes one of them becomes an author. Naturally the book gets a huge leg up as the author is already a friend in the same community. The buzz starts genuinely way before it is published.

I think Carrie wants to be seen as one of them in hopes for such praise and publicity.

Too bad for her though, as these booktubers/bookstagrammers are serious readers who really read everyday and enjoy it more than anything. It shows in how they can go on and on and in depth about the plot, the characters, the hidden message, and the impact of the book on society at large. They are articulate about it too. Carrie is not. Can’t.

if she really wants to make this work, for whatever reason, I hope she’s willing to put so much more effort into it.

Reactions: 11
I suspect it’s just a fad and she’ll lose interest. Just like journaling, walks in the woods, making TikTok videos. In another month she’ll barely mention the books. I think the novelty of the new bookshelves will wear off like everything else. The thing I find weird is her sitting alone in that book room - where is Oliver? Playing video games on his own elsewhere in the house? He barely gets a mention these days. Or is this “boundaries”?

Reactions: 10
I suspect it’s just a fad and she’ll lose interest. Just like journaling, walks in the woods, making TikTok videos. In another month she’ll barely mention the books. I think the novelty of the new bookshelves will wear off like everything else. The thing I find weird is her sitting alone in that book room - where is Oliver? Playing video games on his own elsewhere in the house? He barely gets a mention these days. Or is this “boundaries”?
He was in the latest book video for a few minutes

I wish she would actually talk about the books she’s read properly, she just read ‘convenience store woman’ and it is absolutely fantastic

Reactions: 5
I reckon her publishers have probably hinted that she should do more to keep her book buying fan base going.

Reactions: 5
Maybe I’m being too critical on her but I feel like she could’ve done a really heartfelt post about World Theatre Day but she gives us a picture of her flashing her bra

Reactions: 22
I don't know why people say that she was different when she was young.. I always got the feeling she was a spoiled, attention seeking, pick me woman. Its just that now, she is more comfortable showing this because of the 'boss babe' attitude that's being supported.

He was in the latest book video for a few minutes

I wish she would actually talk about the books she’s read properly, she just read ‘convenience store woman’ and it is absolutely fantastic
Ah ok. I can’t bear to watch them anymore.

Reactions: 1
I hope they publish what dates Carrie won’t be performing - I’d go and see it just to see how terrible this panto is, but her voice hurts my ears so I’d much rather see the understudy.
Depending on how vocally intensive the show is, there could be an alternate Cinderella. Alternates are mostly on Tuesdays or Fridays.

Reactions: 3
Maybe I’m being too critical on her but I feel like she could’ve done a really heartfelt post about World Theatre Day but she gives us a picture of her flashing her bra
Why would she do that when she can use it as an attention-seeking post/outlet instead? Pffft

Reactions: 3
Carrie’s boundaries never make any sense. At one point she was saying she had a new massive tattoo but she wasn’t going to show her viewers it- why tell us then? Of course that didn’t last long and we got a full picture of it during the first lockdown in a bikini shot. Now we get pics of her flashing her bra on Instagram. I know in general theatre actors are a bit more confident about things like that due to having to do quick changes in front of everyone, but there’s one thing in getting used to getting changed anywhere and showing pictures of yourself in various states on undress on social media.
I’ve never been one to feel empowered by showing my body in that way so maybe I’ll never understand it.
And I know when it comes to boundaries it comes down to what that person is willing to share, but when it seems so contradictory, it just doesn’t make any sense. Carrie originally said she wasn’t going to do a tour of her house- she hasn’t explicitly done a tour but we know what the downstairs of her house looks like. Big kitchen/diner/lounge with a door to the utility room at the back of the kitchen at the front of the house. She also shown us the layout of her office now as well. She doesn’t have to film so much all over her house, she chooses to. I watch a few youtubers who only seem to film in one room of their house- I might know the layout of the one room but nothing else.
Carrie has even filmed herself walking home before- anyone who knows the area would easily figure it out.
I’ve gone off on a bit of a tangent there, I apologise- I just get confused whenever she posts anything that contradicts her self explained ‘boundaries’.

Ah yes, while all the other actors can’t wait to go back to have a job and income, Carrie wants to go back to take more inappropriate pictures to send to probably people who really don’t want to get them. (The only person I think Would laugh at that picture is probably Scott and is not a compliment)

Reactions: 12
Did I mishear a video / post of Carrie’s recently or did she say she went to California skiing as a kid?

If so, the unchecked privilege is insane. She was clearly much wealthier growing up than she lets on

Reactions: 8
Did I mishear a video / post of Carrie’s recently or did she say she went to California skiing as a kid?

If so, the unchecked privilege is insane. She was clearly much wealthier growing up than she lets on
I'm sure she went skiing on a school trip, I don't know how I know this or if it's right. She went to a private school that Tom paid for with his Mcfly money so I guess it's the kind of school trip they'd do.

Reactions: 2
@agirlofnoimportance - wow. You absolutely shouldn't feel mean or bad writing that. You have a wonderful way with words and you're also very thoughtful to even consider how what you're writing is coming across. (Unlike Carrie...) - I'd 100% read an abridged version of the novel written by yourself!

I remember on GG - or perhaps it was here - there was a user who did a chapter by chapter account of In The Time We Lost (I might have miswrote the title) and it was thoroughly enjoyable!

I've been MIA from this place for a while but I've definitely timed it right coming back!

Mass respect to Moose if you see this. Here's to a prosperous, intelligent, mature return to the West End for you - surrounded with supportive casts who genuinely support you. Not just for an Insta post or a feature in their YT video. I could go on about Carrie's hypocrisy in how she did what she did and for how she treated you, but karma is a twit and sooner or later it will catch up for her.

Sidenote - as a Libra, it deeply baffles me how Carrie is also a Libran. She stinks of Scorpio vibes!

Anyway. It's good to be back.
Thank you so much for saying that, you didn't have to, so you were very kind to do so! Welcome back.

So I've gone and started a chapter by chapter summary of When The Curtain Falls. This is the prologue to Chapter Five. There are twenty-one chapters, so I'll do the rest down the line at some point if there is any interest. I've put each chapter summary in a spoiler to avoid clogging up the timeline for those who aren't interested. I put some general points for the whole book in the prologue, so if you're not going to read any of the rest of it, that one alone will give you the gist. You can see my will to live declining chapter by chapter as I get more angry with the book, hahaha. Honestly, go and read Carrie's first two books, they're better, I promise.

In the prologue, we fittingly get an overture; the author waxes lyrical about the magic of theatre, and we are told that once a year at the Southern Cross Theatre, an old “stage door man” called Walter converses with the ghost of an actress through a mirror, before a vision of her onstage death is re-enacted. At the end of the prologue, Walter discovers via email that the production in which the actress (Fawn) died, “When The Curtain Falls”, is to be revived at the Southern Cross, sixty-six years later. Concerned, he asks Fawn to “play nice”, as she is in the habit of haunting and causing trouble backstage at the best of times. Walter then finds out who is playing Fawn’s role, Eliza, and says aloud to himself that new actress Olive Green might be sorry she ever agreed to the role.

There are good points to the prologue-it’s the book’s highlight. There is an admirable attempt at tension, which is very hard to write, and the mystery is fairly intriguing. Carrie’s passion for the theatre and storytelling definitely comes through, and I felt genuine sadness when Walter was ashamed of how old he had grown while ghostly Fawn is forever youthful, feeling he’d failed her.

However, small, easily addressable issues with Carrie’s writing begin to show from the start. The most prevalent is that all of her character sound the same-in short, they sound like Carrie. I’ve found this with all of her books (admittedly I’ve not read the latest two, so she might have improved)-every character sounds like Carrie in a different wig. It’s as if every single character in Friends said “How you doing?”. Her style of speaking, which is lovely coming from her-an articulate, slightly old-fashioned manner with plenty of metaphors, similes, and anecdotes-does not sound natural coming from every single character, regardless of background, personality, gender, and situation. Admittedly, there is an attempt at writing a different pattern of speech later for Toby, the stunt co-ordinator-he says things like “dunnit” (doesn’t it) and “bitta” (bit of), but that’s as far as it goes-it feels a bit cheap and forced, almost as if Toby himself is faking an accent like Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins. All the characters simply have the same patterns and style of speaking (Carrie’s style) and it gets quite draining.

The other issue I find in the book as a whole that starts in the prologue is the unnatural, over-explanation. What I mean by that is unnatural dialogue being shoehorned in for the benefit of the audience to explain what’s going on instead of letting the audience discover things for ourselves. It’s almost as if some characters turn to the camera, like The Office, and say “This is this thing. It happens because of this thing. Got that? Good.” An excellent example of this happens in the prologue. In the email, straight after we see the ghostly re-enaction of the play’s climax and Fawn’s death, we are told that yes indeed “When The Curtain Falls” played at the Southern Cross before, and yes indeed, there was an accident, you got that? There was absolutely no need for the explanation-any child could have figured out the connection. Carrie would have done much better to have provided a shorter email saying that the revival is happening, and to let Walter’s reaction speak for itself. I know books need a certain degree of exposition, but if Carrie’s books were a little more subtle, they would be a hundred times better. There are countless examples of this through the book, and it’s a shame, because they really break your immersion into the world of the story.

Just two more quick points before I move on-I wanted to mention Walter speaking aloud to himself at the end of the prologue when Olive Green is named for the first time. Obviously the writer wanted to get Olive introduced in a dramatic way, but Walter isn’t the only character to talk aloud to himself about Olive when alone, and it is so unnatural. It could easily have been presented as thoughts in their heads, but no, they talk aloud to no one for the benefit of an invisible audience, and it’s very jarring. If I knew them, I’d be concerned for their wellbeing.

Lastly, I wanted to mention the nouns. Carrie has a habit of naming her characters and places in her books sickly sweet names, which is her prerogative, but honestly the naming in this novel for some reason annoyed me more than the others. The Southern Cross Theatre?! I seriously invite you to google the names of London theatres now, and see that, if the Southern Cross was real, one of these things would not be like the others. The only way I can make it work logically is if Carrie had invented a fictional place in London called Southern Cross, and the theatre was named after the location, but I don’t think we ever get such an explanation. Especially as the theatre is specifically on Shaftsbury Avenue. I wondered if it might mean “cross” as an allusion to a headstone shaped like a cross, because the theatre is haunted? But that’s the best I can do. Additionally in the prologue, the production company putting on “When The Curtain Falls” is called “Toastie Productions”. Toastie Productions?! I know production companies be naming themselves dumb things, but the only explanation I can think of for this is that Carrie must have been eating a toastie at the time. Again, this is a constant through the novel.

Chapter One-Enjoy

Prior to Chapter One, we get an entire page of a poster advertising “When The Curtain Falls” at the Southern Cross. Nothing wrong with this, it’s a good way to get exposition across, but it renders Walter’s email in the previous chapter, which gave details about the production including dates and times, even more redundant. I don’t mind that the production is by a “C.H. Fletcher”, I found it humorous, but make what you will of that. The issue I have with the poster is that Olive Green’s name is listed above Oscar Bright’s. Now, Oscar is the famous one, as we find out in Chapter Two, and presumably he’s the name putting butts on seats, so why is Olive’s name first? It isn’t even alphabetical. I don’t know if there’s some kind of theatre tradition where the leading lady is named first, but it just seems weird to me.

Oscar has “short black hair” and a “big toothy smile” so I’ll leave you to wonder who he might be inspired by. He and Olive are carrying out an illicit, secret affair, meeting at the “crack of dawn” (8:55) to avoid the prying eyes of the press and the rumour mill of the West End. Olive is concerned that Oscar is embarrassed to be with her, but he insists he isn’t, and that he’s just trying to avoid the press after a public breakup with a high-profile girlfriend called Zadie. If you ask me, that’s a Strallen name (Zizi, Scarlett, Summer, Sasi…you wouldn’t blink if Zadie was there too). In case you didn’t know, Oscar-I mean Oliver’s-ex is Summer. Anyway, you get the picture. Next, we’re treated to a LONG, and I mean long, monologue from the narrator, exalting Olive’s virtues which she never displays herself. It’s textbook telling, not showing. It’s all about how Olive is a lovely, special person whose career started with immediate ***leading-role*** success straight after drama school, and her only flaw is letting people take advantage of her. That’s a very Mary Sue kind of flaw, and not really a flaw in her but in everyone around her. At one point, someone tells her not to set herself on fire to keep others warm, which I’m sure Carrie has shared on Instagram before. If this is true, you can kind of see why Olive would be worried that Oscar might be taking advantage of her too, but this could have all been laid out much more gradually and subtly. They have breakfast together, and the world and their wife fancy Oscar, but he likes Olive because she’s so different to everyone else-she treats him like a human, because he is one. Revolutionary.

Remember how we got a long, awkward monologue introducing Olive? Round Two Electric Boogaloo for Oscar. He’s basically a soap star who quit to go onto bigger and better things, and lo and behold, it didn’t work out. I quite like this, actually-it feels realistic, and it brings him down a peg, which makes him easier to warm to. We delve into the past where Olive and Oscar first meet, along with the rest of the new cast for WTCF. Tamara, a girl in the ensemble with her eyes on Oscar, asks him who in the cast he would sleep with if held at gunpoint, which I might have suggested was foreshadowing (the weapon in the play is a gun) in any other book. I don’t think he gives a straight answer, but it’s an opportunity for Tamara and Jane (Olive’s first cover) to openly flirt with him. Meanwhile, for some unknown reason, Doug (Olive’s friend who lives to praise her) starts dancing with Olive, and whispers that he thinks Oscar fancies her. The cast then talks about theatre ghosts, and how every theatre has one, with varying degrees of scepticism, but the general consensus is that a wise actor (like Olive, obvs) is wary of theatre ghosts because if you piss them off they can make your life hell. Just as another general point, Olive estimates that they have “four to six minutes” before the director tells them off for chatting. A writer should never be that specific, it sounds dumb. Just say five minutes.

Anyway, the cast go out to a club, and Olive doesn’t want to be there because she’s too deep and cool for clubbing. The bartender happens to recognise her, by the way, because of course he does, her being the most special person ever to have lived, and gives her a free drink. Olive looks down on Jane and Tamara for pole dancing (sounds like fun!) and wearing “slinky dresses and high heels”, which she herself would never wear. So Olive and Oscar ditch the club and go back to Oscar’s flat. Oscar calls her “Miss Green” a lot, which made me cringe, tbh, it’s that weird, old-fashioned tone all the characters have. They make out, and honestly I skipped over most of description of these two eels thrashing around. I’m not a prude, just gay and tired of these idiots.

So the very first line of this chapter announces that Olive managed to buy a flat in London at twenty-two, which she complains about the size of sometimes, so others have to remind her how lucky she is to have it. I’m not going to say this was probably inspired by real events, make your own decisions. Olive has a little chat with herself in the kitchen, OUT LOUD, as I mentioned in the general points. It’s so jarring when she wonders “Does he like me?” etc aloud, when it could so easily be presented as thoughts in her head. Meanwhile, over in Bow, OSCAR IS DOING THE SAME THING. Sitting around alone, talking to himself “Olive Green…is there anything this girl can’t do?” He actually says that. I’ve never sat around talking aloud to myself. Maybe I’m the weird one after all.

So this is the chapter with the infamous coffee scene, where Olive, Oscar, and Jane go to grab coffee and Olive looks down on Jane, her first cover, for ordering some iced peppermint mocha frap. Granted it sounds pretty gross, but girl, you live your life and drink whatever you want. But this scene is so much more contrived than that. While Jane is in the loo, Oscar and Olive have a brief chat and again fail to define their relationship. I do think Oscar is being a bit annoying at this point, not wanting to give Olive a label so that if he wants to jump ship she can’t complain, but we’ve had so many of these will they/won’t they scenes already. In another contrived move, Oscar then goes to the loo, leaving Jane the perfect opportunity to be one-dimensionally bitchy to poor old flat-owning, lead-landing Olive. Jane witches that Oscar blew Olive a kiss and that Tamara is going to be “furious with you…making him blow you kisses”. She is such a cartoon villain, none of her dialogue is natural, and I actually feel quite sorry for her to be honest. And its Olive that makes me feel that way about the person we’re supposed to take her side over. Olive is so condescending towards her, treating her like a naughty child-she directly calls her childish in a previous chapter. Is it any wonder that Jane doesn’t like her? Granted Jane expecting Olive to pay for her drink is very presumptive and rude, but honestly, I don’t know a single person who would expect someone they’ve just met to pay for their expensive coffee order. Maybe I know disproportionally decent people, who knows. But the whole scene doesn’t happen organically and feels forced and contrived.

Later in the chapter, for the first time, Oscar really pisses me off, telling Olive that they were right to be rude to Jane because “she’s young and never going to learn she can’t always get what she wants if people don’t teach her.” It’s SO PATRONISING. Urgh. That’s my verdict on this chapter: Urgh.

Oscar says he chooses Olive, while still being a commitment-phobe, and Olive references Pokemon in a very Carrie way.

Oscar gets acquainted with his onstage gun, and forcedly working-class Toby the stunt co-ordinator (Dick van Dyke guy I mentioned in the general points) gives him a run-down of the ghost story. Honestly, the way Toby calls the director “big boss man” really put the ick in me for some reason. This is yet another explanation of the story that was laid out pretty plainly for us in the prologue, and it’s fairly unnecessary. Fawn Burrows was shot sixty-odd years ago because some idiots used a real gun during a production of WTCF-we get it. It’s hinted that it might not have been an accident-we know.

A mercifully short chapter ends with a comment about guns looking safe when they’re not in the hands of fools. I think it’s supposed to be profound, but I would argue that guns always look FREAKING TERRIFYING. Maybe because in my country there is strict control so I haven’t ever actually seen one in the flesh, but I think they look very sinister. Anyway, I’m not here to get political, I’m here to summarise.

The show is almost upon us. Tamara and Jane are bitchy to another dancer called Sam because she’s a little bigger than them. Carrie actually describes her pretty nicely, “thick thighs and strong arms…the way she moved was second to none”, but obviously not-skinny Sam isn’t perceived as a threat by Olive, so we’re allowed to like her. But obviously cartoon villains J and T call her a whale, so Sam shows herself to be yet another Carrie with another wig, doing an over-the-top gotcha! comeback which feels like the kind of thing you think of later and wish you’d have said at the time. It’s a bit of wish-fulfilment, I think.

Anyway, Oscar says “leave the girls to it, if they want to fight, let them fight without encouragement from us (the guys)”. Which just feels patronising again with a little sexism thrown in on top! I’m starting to really hate Oscar and his sanctimonious displays. He and Olive deserve each other.

The technical rehearsal gets underway, and it’s stressful because I hear they always are. The cast are quite convincingly worried that they won’t be ready to open in time, which I can imagine would be the case for many shows. I enjoyed the image of the stressed director pulling his hair in all directions-me doing my degree, lol.

But then, we get an extract of the play script itself. I’m not sure why Carrie included it, but fair dos, it’s basically creating more work for herself, so fair enough. Unfortunately, there is no change of tone between the novel and the script-they feel as if they’re being written by the same person. I’ve not read many scripts in my time, but from memories of studying them at school, I don’t think stage directions tend to last more than a page?? There’s more than an ENTIRE PAGE of stage directions alone-really specific stage directions at that. I think this is Carrie helping us as readers to understand exactly what would happen if we were watching the play, but we’re supposed to be just reading the script. Carrie should have taken a break from the script after the dialogue, described what the actors were doing onstage as a narrator, then gone back into the dialogue of the play.

Olive meets Walter. He is friendly, if a little odd. However, when Olive goes back to the stage, he does my FAVOURITE THING in this book and TALKS ALOUD TO HIMSELF. He basically shakes his fist at the sky and moans “Why did they have to cast someone who looks so much like Fawn!” Just to drive the parallel home even more.

Olive and Oscar make plans to see each other, but Olive is adamant that it can’t just be about sex, which is fair, tbh, if that’s what she wants. I have to say, the amount of times the word “sex” is said in this scene is a little jarring-like, look at me in my adult book with characters who have SEX! Although in fairness, I much prefer the word “sex” to cringey metaphors about it. We find out that Olive once had a thing with her leading man in Little Shop of Horrors, and it ended with the guy two-timing her with another actress (being a “starfucker”, shagging his way to the top). The other actress is called Rosanna Lime, by the way. It’s my least favourite name so far.

Oscar gets recognised by a schoolgirl on the tube, and Olive looks down on her for her short skirt and high heels. The teenager says “my mates are gonna be well jel”. I quite enjoyed the attempt at teenage dialogue, as it did make a change, but was also an adult trying to emulate teenage speech rather than actual teenage speech, if that makes sense? It was very “how do you do, fellow kids?” Carrie also uses this chapter to explain that actors are paid the same no matter how many tickets are sold, and that Oscar being stunt-cast doesn’t matter because there’s no way he’d have been cast if he wasn’t actually good. These are both fair enough to be honest, but again, it just felt like Carrie talking.

Back at Oscar’s flat, Olive calls a gin a Ginny Weasley, which again just sounds like Carrie. There is no characterisation here. They sleep together, but oh no, a picture of them kissing in public has gone viral on Twitter. A soap actor kissing an unknown stage actress? Front page news, I should think. Whatever will they do?

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 23
Call me old fashioned but I find that photo of Carrie in her dressing room flashing her bra really unprofessional, especially as a contribution to World Theatre Day. If I did that and posted it on social media my employer would be fuming!

Reactions: 19
I'm loving the book breakdown. I can't tell if she's a godawful writer or if she just needs a much harsher editor. I'm still horrified by the opening line of In the Time We Lost: "The clouds burst open like eggs being cracked for a cake."

To me it just seems like something you'd see a Y6 write when they were just learning about similes. I just can't shake the vision of the rain coming down in one big slimy splat.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.