Career Changes? whether it’s too late for a big career change!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve spent a lot of time this new year thinking about what I want to do in life and whether it’s too late for a big career change!

I would love to go into wellness and nutrition coaching but have zero experience so would have to do qualifications etc as I’m currently a Project Manager in telecoms (I’m 28 years old) but has anyone else had a major career change at this stage in life?!

i don’t think I’d earn enough doing it Full Time but would be great to do after work or weekends on the side! :)

you can always choose to study whilst working full time or poss from down to PT hours during college/uni months, when I was a Project Manager in Telecoms ppl were doing it left right and centre. I changed at 26, went back and done a years college to get the qualifications I needed doing the job I am no just now. It may not be the best job in the world to others but I love that I can still do admin(that I am great at) BUT still learn to better myself and learn more about animals, grants, procedures ect x

Reactions: 1
My husband has just been offered a new job - whilst it’s still in the same field (emergency medicine) it is going to mean moving the whole family to the US. For me, this would mean giving up my career which is something I had never really considered and was just starting the process of returning to work from maternity leave.

All I would say, which is the same thing I told him, if you want to do it, at least try. There is not much in this world that can’t be undone and if it’ll make you happy, it’s worth it.

Thank you both for your replies! I think I’m going to take the plunge and spend the next few months looking into courses, learning all I can from online resources and getting myself in a great space mentally and physically so I’m actually practicing what I want to preach!

My husband has just been offered a new job - whilst it’s still in the same field (emergency medicine) it is going to mean moving the whole family to the US. For me, this would mean giving up my career which is something I had never really considered and was just starting the process of returning to work from maternity leave.

All I would say, which is the same thing I told him, if you want to do it, at least try. There is not much in this world that can’t be undone and if it’ll make you happy, it’s worth it.
Your opportunity sounds daunting but most importantly very exciting! I admire your attitude and wish you all the best in your move across the pond!!

I'm 27 and when I had my first child (hes 7) I was made redundant. I was already expecting my second but when he turned 2 I went back to college and did an access course. That enabled me to apply for uni. I'm on my 3rd year now and I also work part time. It's hard, but it's got me a job I actually enjoy doing. Not sure what my end goal is just yet as there are so many things that interest me, but I feel just having a degree gives me more options. X

Absolutely not too late to shift careers at 28! I am 20 years older and seriously thinking about a change. I moved to the US 16 years ago and remained in my career as a remote worker but it's insanely lonely and I would love to get out there and meet more people in a workplace. That will mean a huge change (another college degree) for me to be able to maintain the income from current career but I'm seriously considering it. Never too late!

• Heart
I really fancy a career change too but no idea as to what. I'm currently a teacher and tried both primary and secondary but have no idea what I fancy changing to. I like working term time only as it fits in with my kids but really could do with a change.

Reactions: 2
I'd love a career change too. I'm a nurse, now on to my 3rd field to see if I can find something I love. Feel I need to retrain but not sure I can afford too, also have no clue what I want to do with my life

Your opportunity sounds daunting but most importantly very exciting! I admire your attitude and wish you all the best in your move across the pond!!
Thanks! I’m completely terrified and ridiculously excited at the same time!

Def not too late...ever! I’m due to graduate my first degree this year. I’m over 40, single mum to a teenager, with no family in the UK. Won’t go too specific due to potentially identifying myself, but I will be graduating into one of the “top four” professions. (Hate that label, but just using for context!)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm questioning the samr thing apart from I'm 32 and thinking of retraining as a counselor. Good luck with whatever you decide x

I’ve been thinking about this. I’ll be going back to work in about 5 years when my daughter can drive and get herself to and from school.
Ive no idea what I want to do. I’ll still be under 40. I’ve thought about doing my masters or a distance degree in a few years to top me up and make me attractive to employers.
I know no matter what I’ll be at the bottom of the ladder, which isn’t great for my ego. So, I’d rather find something that I’ll enjoy for the next 30 odd years of my life.
I know it’s a privileged position to be in, to think about a career rather than a job to make ends meet. My last job made me ill, so I’m super wary too.
Got plenty of time to think about it but it’s daunting.

I’ve been thinking about this. I’ll be going back to work in about 5 years when my daughter can drive and get herself to and from school.
Ive no idea what I want to do. I’ll still be under 40. I’ve thought about doing my masters or a distance degree in a few years to top me up and make me attractive to employers.
I know no matter what I’ll be at the bottom of the ladder, which isn’t great for my ego. So, I’d rather find something that I’ll enjoy for the next 30 odd years of my life.
I know it’s a privileged position to be in, to think about a career rather than a job to make ends meet. My last job made me ill, so I’m super wary too.
Got plenty of time to think about it but it’s daunting.
I think it’s a privelidge we really must try and give ourselves when and where we can! I appreciate not everyone can afford to but if you can then you must.

I’ve watched many people live unhappy lives, dictated by their jobs and work and if you have an opportunity to change that then you should!

I think it would take me 6+ years to end up where I want to be so not sure I want to take the risk but going to dip my toes in and do some introductory courses etc and if I find it’s a passion then I might take the leap!

I firmly believe one is never to old to try anything! Hilary Devey and Duncun Bannatyne both only became successful in their forties both out of sheer necessity.
Also a lot of people start education later in life.
Maybe I am just more adventurous as a person because I would not think twice about changing my life and I am 38