Caitlin Moran #did not stay at home.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her article in today's Times magazine is unbelievable! The gist is "women find winter harder than men" because (wait for it): they are more likely to slip on ice in high heels, and they get bad hat hair.

Imagine if this had been written by a man.
Is that Caitlin's excuse?

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Her article in today's Times magazine is unbelievable! The gist is "women find winter harder than men" because (wait for it): they are more likely to slip on ice in high heels, and they get bad hat hair.

Imagine if this had been written by a man.
It is a terrible piece, but she was clearly being facetious about high heels and beauty pageants. Her actual point was that we’re more likely to slip because we have smaller feet and larger chests, which is nicely alienating for all the women out there who have small breasts, or have had mastectomies, or large feet etc etc.

I did enjoy her bemoaning women gaining weight more easily from winter comfort foods, yet again proving her feminism is based solely on her own experiences and is badly out of date. Maybe some women want to gain or even need to gain weight? Maybe some of us have evolved beyond caring that we gained two pounds from eating pies at Christmas? As per usual, she has to stretch herself out so thinly to reach her column word count.

Perhaps The Times can just edit it to be called Why Winter Is The Worst Season For Me, Caitlin Moran, Because I Have Tiny Feet AND BIG NORKS AND A tit METABOLISM AND MY HAIR LOOKS CRAP AFTER WEARING A HAT LOL FEMINISM

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Women still spanking on about weight gain is not good feminism. Especially in these pandemic days.

Reactions: 13
It is a terrible piece, but she was clearly being facetious about high heels and beauty pageants. Her actual point was that we’re more likely to slip because we have smaller feet and larger chests, which is nicely alienating for all the women out there who have small breasts, or have had mastectomies, or large feet etc etc.

I did enjoy her bemoaning women gaining weight more easily from winter comfort foods, yet again proving her feminism is based solely on her own experiences and is badly out of date. Maybe some women want to gain or even need to gain weight? Maybe some of us have evolved beyond caring that we gained two pounds from eating pies at Christmas? As per usual, she has to stretch herself out so thinly to reach her column word count.

Perhaps The Times can just edit it to be called Why Winter Is The Worst Season For Me, Caitlin Moran, Because I Have Tiny Feet AND BIG NORKS AND A tit METABOLISM AND MY HAIR LOOKS CRAP AFTER WEARING A HAT LOL FEMINISM
Wow could she love herself anymore than she already does?
Imagine your only dilemma as a woman being oh poor little me i can't help it i could fall and slip over because i have tiny little bird like feet and an ample chest?? Wtf?
Well shall we just have an ambulance on standby just in case?
Woman as defined by her standards as being some kind of sexy invalid who maybe needs to be rescued?
Dear god what am i reading?
Although she does have form for this remember her article about women making noise with the click clack of their high heels thus alerting any potential predators?
This is the kind of junk she gets paid for?
Unbelievable i'm so tired of her feeble and vulgar attempts to be edgy!!
She is like a poundland julie burchill minus the intellect honesty or wisdom!

It is the implication that women are constantly aiming to lose weight which really annoyed me. I really don't get who likes her columns, they jsut seem so dated

Reactions: 11
You’d think given her daughter’s eating disorder she’d be more careful. Or have copped on to the subtle/not subtle/ insidious/ constant/ blatant toxic messaging about women and their bodies and how much space they do or don’t occupy.

• Sad
Reactions: 18
This is a bit strange because I think she had hypnotherapy possibly for her overeating and the man said to envisage something she could do when she lost weight, like wear a bikini on a beach and she was like ‘WTF I just want to have a healthy body that I can use and to try and treat it well, not have some kind of fantasy body’. And how it was sexist that she would want this (which is a fair point!) and anyway she goes to Aberystwyth on holiday so no bikini required etc. So a bit of a change in view!

Reactions: 11
You’d think given her daughter’s eating disorder she’d be more careful. Or have copped on to the subtle/not subtle/ insidious/ constant/ blatant toxic messaging about women and their bodies and how much space they do or don’t occupy.
Excellent point.
I listened to a bit of her interview with Adam Buxton on his podcast and felt she showed (uncharacteristic) humility in admitting she knew nothing about how to support her daughter through her eating disorder, and drew heavily on BEAT for guidance.
This just flies in the face of that. Either that or she is just showing how inauthentic she is - however she feels privately against the toxic culture she’s still happy to make cash trotting out the old tropes for column inches.

Reactions: 12
She thinks she's doing women a favour with these 90s girl power puff pieces. Cringe
I read this as "90s Powerpuff Girl pieces" and it took me a good 15 seconds to unscramble it in my mind 😂 - ironic that the Powerpuff Girls are more authentic feminist icons than Caitlin Moran.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
In 2015 she was my introduction to feminism as a concept. (I grew up in a family of strong women and didn’t know any differently). It was a great springboard for me but now I look back and cringe. She’s dated SO quickly! Or else she was already sprouting dated advice and I didn’t realise it at the time.

Reactions: 12
What kind of market research does the Times do? Do they survey their readership who all say “oh I turn to Caitlin first, main reason I buy the paper” like how has she been squatting there for years, is it the public sector?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I'm afraid to say I used to find Celeb Watch funny. I don't know if I've changed or she has, but these days i find it too cringeworrhy to read.

Reactions: 4
I'm afraid to say I used to find Celeb Watch funny. I don't know if I've changed or she has, but these days i find it too cringeworrhy to read.
Yep I agree, I used to find it amusing too. I think it’s a weird mixture of her not actually evolving past her early 90s “feminist” persona but also repeating a lot of the woke guff that her teenage daughters no doubt “teach” her about. I’m sure the piece about hating winter said something about “the main two genders” for example.

Reactions: 6
So Caitlin asked her man twitter followers to vote on their ideal celebrity wife "for a thing" yesterday....

Can anyone explain to me the phenomenon exhibited in the replies? Liza Tarbuck, Sara Cox, Kathy Burke, Gillian Anderson, Emma Thompson, Michelle Obama.... I like all these women but, I'm sorry, am I being cynical or are these BS answers to "best celebrity wife"? There seems to be a specific species of middle class man who likes to affirm their progressiveness by refusing to admit they fancy underwear models and instead pretending they are solely interested in middle-aged, fairly average looking, op-ed writing media types?

I mean perhaps this is totally legitimate, but I don't think women feel guilty about admitted their fantasy celeb husband would be Brad Pitt so why do some guys feel the need to pretend the height of their fantasies are these pointedly "real women". Is it because they are then patted on the head by the likes of Caitlin, who approvingly calls these choices "very cheering". I think the implication is its a nice surprise to find out men don't just want a load of 25 year old footballers girlfriends...but to be honest it just seems to prove a lot of guys are using women to disingenuously position themselves as "good" men.

Attachments

• Heart
  • Sick
So Caitlin asked her man twitter followers to vote on their ideal celebrity wife "for a thing" yesterday....

Can anyone explain to me the phenomenon exhibited in the replies? Liza Tarbuck, Sara Cox, Kathy Burke, Gillian Anderson, Emma Thompson, Michelle Obama.... I like all these women but, I'm sorry, am I being cynical or are these BS answers to "best celebrity wife"? There seems to be a specific species of middle class man who likes to affirm their progressiveness by refusing to admit they fancy underwear models and instead pretending they are solely interested in middle-aged, fairly average looking, op-ed writing media types?

I mean perhaps this is totally legitimate, but I don't think women feel guilty about admitted their fantasy celeb husband would be Brad Pitt so why do some guys feel the need to pretend the height of their fantasies are these pointedly "real women". Is it because they are then patted on the head by the likes of Caitlin, who approvingly calls these choices "very cheering". I think the implication is its a nice surprise to find out men don't just want a load of 25 year old footballers girlfriends...but to be honest it just seems to prove a lot of guys are using women to disingenuously position themselves as "good" men.
I don’t know, I think most of them are very believable. A lot of those women are both totally gorgeous and incredibly talented, and I have to say most men I know are much more into some of those examples than nameless underwear models. I can see women my own partner, my brother and my brother-in-law all are known to have crushes on in that list (suspect my own partner may have tweeted Sharon Horgan as his suggestion 😂). I don’t think fancying Gillian Anderson is at all an attempt at being feminist!

I don’t know about you, but my answer wouldn’t be Brad Pitt or similar either. It would be Louis Theroux. I don’t think that’s anything to do with virtue signaling or pretending looks don’t matter, but rather placing importance on other areas as equal to, or higher than, appearance.

Different strokes for different folks, innit? I don’t doubt a lot of the men who follow Caitlin are virtue signal types who largely misunderstand feminism, but I also don’t think there’s anything unusual, or progressive, at a man choosing Nigella over a Victoria’s Secret model.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.