Caitlin Moran #did not stay at home.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve always found her to be this way. I used to find it really confusing because her message is all about female empowerment and yet she was desperately always seeking male approval and wanted so badly to be ‘one of the lads’.

Her whole “I’ve been poor, me” Schtick is tired too, she lives in a million pound house & has done for years, her kids went to the whitest school she could find in London, Piano lessons, married in a castle and so on, it’s all been very basic witch and very middle class for a very long time. She walked into her dream job as a young adult, had a published book as a child, was a TV host. The poverty angle is just a money spinner for her and her articles.
this whole poverty thing reminds me so much of Jack Munroe, it is just like they use it as it makes them "different" from most other famous people

Reactions: 12
My post got deleted for too many initials!
I think what struck me was Caitlin, Sali and Lauren all had these early fame/work experiences. Yes many of us lived in squalor as teens, but we didn’t have to go on television.

I think by extension the three of them trade too much on their “working class” roots when as rightly pointed out none of them have been short of a few bob for decades now. It’s like they had to hold on to that USP.

It did make me a bit sad I think because back then it was held up as some kind of amazing feminist takeover by a teenage girl except really it was Middle Aged men making cash off the back of a young girl. Even down to the loser boyfriend.

Reactions: 16
I think what struck me was Caitlin, Sali and Lauren all had these early fame/work experiences. Yes many of us lived in squalor as teens, but we didn’t have to go on television.

I think by extension the three of them trade too much on their “working class” roots when as rightly pointed out none of them have been short of a few bob for decades now. It’s like they had to hold on to that USP.

It did make me a bit sad I think because back then it was held up as some kind of amazing feminist takeover by a teenage girl except really it was Middle Aged men making cash off the back of a young girl. Even down to the loser boyfriend.
Yes. And I don't think any of them actually *had*working class roots to trade on which makes it more irritating - LL's dad was a sociology lecturer in Newcastle University, it's hardly down pit!

Reactions: 19

They’re always dining out on their working class roots when all of them have been successful and rich since they were really quite young. None of them have struggled financially as adults and certainly not as parents. They have no concept of struggling to feed their family, fear of bills or housing struggles. They have no idea what it’s like to be poor by any grown up standards. As you say, its just a USP.

Has anyone seen Caitlin’s ‘in the bathroom’ with Sali on you tube? It’s the clingiest thing I’ve ever seen. CM trying hard to look nonchalant & cool whilst swigging a beer & sunglasses whilst also trying to pretend she doesn’t really know or care about how to use make up whilst opening an entire drawer with a department store full of it in there. It’s so wanky.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 18
I ended up here because of the Sali trolls thing and to be honest, I sort of feel annoyed by these journalists getting all over my social media to be honest. Before the internet if there was a columnist you didn’t like then you just didn’t read them. These days I get friends tagging me in, or algorithms pushing these lot in my timeline when I don’t want them there! I’d assumed Sali left the Guardian when I saw her all over beautypie ads.
I don’t think they can be all that surprised that they are bitched about online. They are literally “out there” as public figures.

Reactions: 12
Anyone read her Times column today? It seems designed to show just how *lovely* she is - she takes secateurs on her walks to trim the hedges for any poor pram-pushing mums who may follow in her wake, she cleans the loos on trains.... a veritable Mother Theresa!

But to those (many) of us who’ve noticed how absolutely vile she and her coven of nasty gal pals are online, this really, REALLY doesn’t wash.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Anyone read her Times column today? It seems designed to show just how *lovely* she is - she takes secateurs on her walks to trim the hedges for any poor pram-pushing mums who may follow in her wake, she cleans the loos on trains.... a veritable Mother Theresa!

But to those (many) of us who’ve noticed how absolutely vile she and her coven of nasty gal pals are online, this really, REALLY doesn’t wash.
sorry if I was working on a train and found some random passenger cleaning the loos I would find it really suspicious tbh

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 11
I actually had to stop reading today’s column because describing herself coming back to her colleagues on the train, boasting about how well she’d just tidied up a train toilet, really made me bizarrely angry and irritated.

I’m not even sure why? I just thought “oh what a total twit!” and that was that.

To be fair it’s how I respond to at least half of Caitlin’s journalistic output these days.

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
I actually had to stop reading today’s column because describing herself coming back to her colleagues on the train, boasting about how well she’d just tidied up a train toilet, really made me bizarrely angry and irritated.

I’m not even sure why? I just thought “oh what a total twit!” and that was that.

To be fair it’s how I respond to at least half of Caitlin’s journalistic output these days.
the tone of her columns is always weirdly shouty and kind of frenetic, I used to read them but now I just find it draining to read tbh

Reactions: 8
I don’t even read what she writes any more.
Honestly why do columnists still exist? Newspapers are about to become extinct and hopefully, columnists too.

Edit- fixed spelling

Yes both types of women, the ones with the kids, and the ones untouched by males and who hoard cats. Fucks sakes.
Much better than just judging women by their bodies....oh wait

• Angry
Reactions: 10
"Spinster"
wtaf.. I haven't heard the word spinster in .. god knows how long, so feminist, as usual. So it is either spinster and cats or married? neither of which she "is" which makes it all the more insulting she says this (I use "is" in quote marks as there is no such thing as a spinster imo so it is not a real word)

Reactions: 5
She is an absolute rubbish feminist and the word spinster is hateful. So old fashioned and almost always used in a negative sense.

Yes both types of women, the ones with the kids, and the ones untouched by males and who hoard cats. Fucks sakes.
Much better than just judging women by their bodies....oh wait
Exactly, womens personalities are reduced to their marital status. How progressive, Caitlin Moron!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
wtaf.. I haven't heard the word spinster in .. god knows how long, so feminist, as usual. So it is either spinster and cats or married? neither of which she "is" which makes it all the more insulting she says this (I use "is" in quote marks as there is no such thing as a spinster imo so it is not a real word)
It is a real word though, on my marriage certificate I am described as a "spinster". The man is a "bachelor". It just means an unmarried woman but society has wrongly attributed many negative images onto it, like the word immigrant or migrant.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
It is a real word though, on my marriage certificate I am described as a "spinster". The man is a "bachelor". It just means an unmarried woman but society has attributed many negative images onto it, like the word immigrant or migrant.
yes. It was used on wedding certificates up until 2005 from what I just read.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
yes. It was used on wedding certificates up until 2005 from what I just read.
Interesting! I got married in 2011, not in the UK, and my marriage certificate says I was ye olde spinster. So, I guess it's still in use elsewhere, I agree its archaic and outdated now.

Funny how the male equivalent is still in usage and a perfectly acceptable term but the female version has to become an insult and derogatory name for us.

Reactions: 4
I avoid using the word moron as it was originally used medically and in relation to eugenics. Also her name only sounds similar if you mispronounce it in English.
Interestingly the Greek root Moros means “dull” which is very fitting

• Haha
I avoid using the word moron as it was originally used medically and in relation to eugenics. Also her name only sounds similar if you mispronounce it in English.
Interestingly the Greek root Moros means “dull” which is very fitting
Caitlin actually misprinounces her own name.

She calls it more-Ann but it's actually more-in

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.