Caitlin Moran #did not stay at home.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Caitlin Moron tweeted about Beauty Banks with a caption "middle aged women getting tit done". Is that supposed to be feminism?

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 10
I cannot stand her writing style. And to call her own book "epoch changing" while pouring scorn on Germaine Greer? Oh and yeah a bunch of 14 year old girls telling her she invented female masturbation. Yeah that definitely happened. Definitely

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I cannot stand her writing style. And to call her own book "epoch changing" while pouring scorn on Germaine Greer? Oh and yeah a bunch of 14 year old girls telling her she invented female masturbation. Yeah that definitely happened. Definitely
That’s not her writing. That’s the piss-take book column from Private Eye. It’s always done in the style of the author

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
Ok, hands up... which one of you works for Private Eye?

Part 2
OMG. Who knew there is a Private Eye columnist in our midst. They surely had a squizz at this thread before writing that. Hats off to them.

@SqualorVictoria !!! Have you had a coffee yet today, dear?

• Haha
Reactions: 6
“Angela Merkel pets the yak” really almost killed me off, as did the bit about Outnumbered and Dolly Alderton’s “Everything I Know About Lists”.

Brilliant. I wonder if Caitlin is seething?

• Haha
Reactions: 11
But weren't lots of us living in chaos with questionable boyfriends in squalid accommodation in our late teens, as students? I remember CM from her Melody Maker days -we're about the same age- and her life seemed absolutely charmed. She wasn't living in London at 16 as far as I know, she was the midlands correspondent for a couple of years. So the only thing that separated her from her contemporaries was the free CDs, free gigs, access to famous people and a £50k a year salary.

I wonder if the idea of childhood has changed. I don't think dropping out of college to be in a band is exactly child labour.

Reactions: 12
But weren't lots of us living in chaos with questionable boyfriends in squalid accommodation in our late teens, as students? I remember CM from her Melody Maker days -we're about the same age- and her life seemed absolutely charmed. She wasn't living in London at 16 as far as I know, she was the midlands correspondent for a couple of years. So the only thing that separated her from her contemporaries was the free CDs, free gigs, access to famous people and a £50k a year salary.
I'm sure I read she was in London at 15 or 16, thought it was in this Hunter Davies profile, but can't find reference to it now:

(Choice quote from that profile: "I'm seeing the editor of a Sunday newspaper this afternoon. I know she'll offer me mega-bucks to do an opinion column, but I don't want that. I don't like opinion journalism. Anyway, how can you have 52 opinions a year? I'd like to do some interviews.")

• Haha
Reactions: 7
The anecdotes of her unusual upbringing have all been told to death. I was never a huge fan but I've heard her recounting how she ate blocks of cheese off a stick more times than I care to recount.
I’m late to this thread but loving it. I’ve heard the cheese Lolly thing way too much also. It makes me feel really sick so I’m always on edge when I hear an interview with her.

I heard the recent buckles podcast and thought the bit about role play was v funny bit I agree with the general sentiment here. I remember friends recommending a past book (how to build a girl?? Whatever the title simile time that is) and I thought it was fine. I didn’t love it. I started to go off her when she did that Lena Dunham interview.

Fame is clearly very important to her. She likes being someone in the public eye and her USP is funny feminist who shoots from the hip but it’s starting to fall a bit flat.

Reactions: 4
I read both How To Be A Woman and How To Build A Girl and am astonished she essentially managed to put out the same book twice!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
HAs she always been like this with the men thing? I don't recall it, ugh she is awful
I’ve always found her to be this way. I used to find it really confusing because her message is all about female empowerment and yet she was desperately always seeking male approval and wanted so badly to be ‘one of the lads’.

Her whole “I’ve been poor, me” Schtick is tired too, she lives in a million pound house & has done for years, her kids went to the whitest school she could find in London, Piano lessons, married in a castle and so on, it’s all been very basic witch and very middle class for a very long time. She walked into her dream job as a young adult, had a published book as a child, was a TV host. The poverty angle is just a money spinner for her and her articles.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.