Brittany Bathgate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
According to Dean she’s definitely just renting.. does seem weird to paint it all but I’ve been given permission to paint my rented house I just have to make sure it’s back to how it was when I moved in..

I’m not sure why she even painted it, it looked white to begin with!

I wasn’t really paying attention but is her whole dining room being done as a collaboration? Must be nice to move somewhere and just have it filled for you for free. No wonder she didn’t take anything with her from the house
I haven’t seen any of her paint options yet but it seems like such a beautifully white space. Not sure why she’s doing all that. I guess she must have nothing else to do.

Reactions: 2
I haven’t seen any of her paint options yet but it seems like such a beautifully white space. Not sure why she’s doing all that. I guess she must have nothing else to do.
Painting an already white wall a different shade of white is the ultimate "I have nothing better to do" activity.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
she was pretty whiny about the painting. which i'm assuming she is doing because she is being paid to do it and has chosen to take on that collaboration, so i'm not really on board for hearing about how tough and difficult it is.

also... she didn't mention dean once in that vlog. wonder if she's been lurking around here ... ?

Reactions: 5
she was pretty whiny about the painting. which i'm assuming she is doing because she is being paid to do it and has chosen to take on that collaboration, so i'm not really on board for hearing about how tough and difficult it is.

also... she didn't mention dean once in that vlog. wonder if she's been lurking around here ... ?
Well her dad was apparently lurking the other week 😂 maybe he’s passed the message on

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Her flat was definitely up for sale in 2020 as I found the listing. Thats not to say for certain she bought it but I've not heard any landlord letting a tenant paint or change light fittings, unless maybe she's paying a premium to be allowed to.

Reactions: 1
Her flat was definitely up for sale in 2020 as I found the listing. Thats not to say for certain she bought it but I've not heard any landlord letting a tenant paint or change light fittings, unless maybe she's paying a premium to be allowed to.
That listing is for another unit in the same building, it’s almost a mirror image but there are differences - in the living room fireplace, extra door by the windows. And the views from the windows throughout.
To be fair any landlord would be overjoyed at a tenant offering to repaint rooms white, it saves them money in the long run.

Why is Brittany calling it a dining room, alluding to actually having y’know a separate dining room? When in reality she’s squeezed a dining table that’s too big for the space into her kitchen.

Reactions: 4
That listing is for another unit in the same building, it’s almost a mirror image but there are differences - in the living room fireplace, extra door by the windows. And the views from the windows throughout.
To be fair any landlord would be overjoyed at a tenant offering to repaint rooms white, it saves them money in the long run.

Why is Brittany calling it a dining room, alluding to actually having y’know a separate dining room? When in reality she’s squeezed a dining table that’s too big for the space into her kitchen.
I was thinking this - it’s not a dining room it’s a dining area in her kitchen. And the paint colour looked no different.

she and I also have a real difference in what we think of as “busy”. I would love to have a job that consisted of me having little mini creative projects, being able to read whenever I want, get up at 10am, get sent tit loads of free stuff and have enough money to have addresses around the world ship me stuff

She talks about sustainability quite a bit so I’d love to know how much air and shipping freight she gets through every year with stuff coming in from around the world. There are some amazing British furniture designers and clothing stores - I wish she’d use them more - her consumption of long haul products is through the roof!

• Heart
BB started her lates vlog explaining how anxiety inducing she finds the period between Christmas and NYE, and she’s glad we’re in January. Then she proceeds to say she’s been sleeping in until 10am. Well maybe if she didn’t have the luxury to lounge around on work days she’d appreciate the holidays more as she could see it as something special. Most people love that period cause that’s the one time of the year everyone has time off!

Reactions: 10

The listing I'm looking at has the exact same kitchen (albeit painted pale blue) and the exact same fireplace, even down to the dark markings on the orange circle details. I'm pretty certain it's the same flat.

The listing I'm looking at has the exact same kitchen (albeit painted pale blue) and the exact same fireplace, even down to the dark markings on the orange circle details. I'm pretty certain it's the same flat.
someone who knows her already said multiple times that she’s renting it. I live in the states and it’s not that out of the question to paint a place you’re renting. Among all the upgrades you can do, painting is not really that much of an investment, especially since she’s getting the paint for free. She’s not knocking down walls or redoing the flooring. It’s just paint. She’s renting. We don’t need to keep debating it every week.

Reactions: 4
someone who knows her already said multiple times that she’s renting it. I live in the states and it’s not that out of the question to paint a place you’re renting. Among all the upgrades you can do, painting is not really that much of an investment, especially since she’s getting the paint for free. She’s not knocking down walls or redoing the flooring. It’s just paint. She’s renting. We don’t need to keep debating it every week.
I live in the UK and it's incredibly rare for landlords to be ok with stuff like this so you could forgive anyone for questioning it. The UK does not have the same rental culture the US and Europe do. I don't think anyone outside of the UK quite grasps that fact.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
While I agree we should move on from the renting/buying debate, you live in the states where landlords are much more forgiving and even see the benefits to changes some tenants are willing to make. Things are very different in the UK. I was shocked by the ridiculous guarding of old scuff marks by our landlord when we moved here. We weren’t allowed to repaint in same colour even if we paid and that attitude is pretty much the standard here.

• Haha
In my anecdotal experience of renting, 9 times out of 10 the landlord inherited the property from their dead parents, they live hundreds of miles away, they don't give a tit about the property and let it out via an agency. Angencies are conniving arseholes who, at the end of your tenancy, will say 'you changed the property, therefore we're deducting X amount from your deposit'. They don't give two shits whether you improved it or not; it's a chance for them to make money.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
While I agree we should move on from the renting/buying debate, you live in the states where landlords are much more forgiving and even see the benefits to changes some tenants are willing to make. Things are very different in the UK. I was shocked by the ridiculous guarding of old scuff marks by our landlord when we moved here. We weren’t allowed to repaint in same colour even if we paid and that attitude is pretty much the standard here.
I have had similar experiences with landlords here in the states too. It really depends on who you rent from. But if someone already said she’s renting, and if there’s a similar unit that also appears painted, I’m not sure why we need to keep debating it.

I have had similar experiences with landlords here in the states too. It really depends on who you rent from. But if someone already said she’s renting, and if there’s a similar unit that also appears painted, I’m not sure why we need to keep debating it.
But surely the best way for it to stop being debated is for you to just ignore rather than attempting to police a thread because you're bored of the topic being discussed? So sorry - didn't realise we have to keep you entertained

• Haha
I have lived in both places, while you still seem unaware of the difference. It’s more than dependent on landlords, it’s a completely different renting culture. You’re contradicting yourself by saying we should stop the debate but keep answering to prove your point.

I find this saga as boring as everyone else, but..
I didn’t realise the fireplace was just painted a darker colour but it doesn’t change the fact there’s an extra door, the view from the windows are different and other minor differences, as you said the kitchen wasn’t blue when she moved in. The whole building was renovated into flats by the same developer and all the units have almost identical fixtures and fittings.
It’s a bit of a moot point anyway because hypothetically there is nothing stopping the owner of a property listing it for rent and sale at the same time and accepting whatever offer came first. You can sell properties with sitting tenants in the UK too.
UK rentals do allow changes (paint, holes for shelving/pictures, etc) but you have to make ‘good’ when you leave which means repainting or getting walls repaired to a professional standard or you risk loosing your deposit which is why most people don’t do it. If your landlord gave you a firm no you just got unlucky. Rent in London and the previous tenants paint job and wallpaper might still be there. You can take light fittings down, keep them safe in a cupboard and put them back up when you leave - common sense.

Brittany’s view of sustainability doesn’t go beyond fabric, it’s almost greenwashing in a way. My main gripe with this is most clothing she promotes as sustainable based on the fabric content is troublesome in other ways and mostly made in countries synonymous with questionable ethics, what is the point of buying an item made of organic cotton when it is made by slave labour?

I’m fortunate enough to go to Japan a lot, pre Covid of course, because my boyfriends family live there and most Asian clothing brands (Korean and Japanese) are made in China, even the higher end ones Brittany mentions. I used to be in two minds about this because a Japanese company getting clothes made in China is like a British company getting clothes made in continental Europe, expect it isn’t because of slavery.
Comme des Garçons clothing is made in Japan and most of the fabric is sourced from within Japan too, which is partially why it’s expensive, obviously you’re paying for the name. But when you put it into perspective that not all factories in Japan make ‘expensive’ things, when Boursin (cheese) can afford to have a factory in Japan to serve the Japanese market then there is no excuse for a clothing company not to use Japanese labour.

Anyway that was a really longwinded way of me saying that I don’t think Brittany is fully committed to sustainability because otherwise she would consider air-miles, ethics, etc too. I think she’s aware she has to mention sustainability because of her platform but equally if she truly cared about sustainability has the resources to do it properly.

Reactions: 11
I sometimes feel as though Brittany thinks that since she isn’t as model-esque as other similar influencers, she can get by half assing concepts like sustainability. It’s almost as if she doesn’t think she’s as flippant as the others, when in fact her choices and luxurious life are quite similar.

Reactions: 1
I'm not sure why the aggressive replies when all I've pointed out is the flat was up for sale, possibly adding to the case that they could have bought it. It added to the conversion already being had on this discussion forum.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.