Brittany Bathgate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I personally love her, I don't know how I could have survived the lockdown without her vlogs - very refreshing. I love her fashion sense (it wouldn't look good on me but I appreciate it on her) and her general aesthetic. I really hope she goes back to blogging as well as I loved reading her blog :)

Reactions: 9
Oh I just love her too! She seems to actually buy a lot of clothes with her own money which is just so refreshing in the land of influencers and very honest about the gifts she does get.

Reactions: 4
I love her style but she's so boring. I get the feeling she's lived a very sheltered (wealthy + privileged!) life. She has zero personality and her vlogs really highlight that.

• Wow
Reactions: 12
I love her style but she's so boring. I get the feeling she's lived a very sheltered (wealthy + privileged!) life. She has zero personality and her vlogs really highlight that.
Well I live a similar lifestyle to her (except the office job) and I do not think she is boring (I didn't grow up in a wealthy, privileged household either) but she just took the slow living approach to her life which isn't wrong. She is definitely privileged in the sense of having a job that allows her to have free time and make money maybe more easily than others, but she never comes across as conceited or holier than thou like most of the other influencers. Also, I believe she always discloses everything she gets for free and that is refreshing :)

Reactions: 7
Ooh interesting as i think she's one of the most interesting influencers out there! and i agree with gossiperina, her vlogs have been a life saver during lockdown too! they are so calming, in reality many people have similar lives which revolve around being at home, exercise, and seeing friends and family (which she doesn't include in her vlogs) I think she has really interesting opinions and you can tell she's a big thinker.
i really appreciate that she buys alot of her own stuff and i rarely see hashtag gifted in her posts too!

Reactions: 6
Didn’t like what she said in one of her blogs about people in London going to the pubs and standing too close to each other and why can’t people meet in the garden whilst doing the social distancing. Well, BB, because most people in London don’t have a garden!
I find her a bit dull, not as dull as Anna, but she has not done it for long enough. Also her style is just ugh. Why do influencers tend to wear absolutely unwearable things?

Didn’t like what she said in one of her blogs about people in London going to the pubs and standing too close to each other and why can’t people meet in the garden whilst doing the social distancing. Well, BB, because most people in London don’t have a garden!
I find her a bit dull, not as dull as Anna, but she has not done it for long enough. Also her style is just ugh. Why do influencers tend to wear absolutely unwearable things?
ooh i didn't hear that... yeah i don't have a garden so i agree with you there!

Reactions: 1
Hi I’m sorry but I don’t think it’s totally fair to say she is wealthy and privileged. On her LinkedIn it seems she has worked mostly retail after art college and before blogging. I’m not saying she has had it hard but I would her background is fairly ordinary, but she’s just really cool and felt confident following the art path which led her to retail, instead of chasing something more corporate. I think her relationship with dean reflects this, and the fact that they live somewhere relatively ordinary and without a huge mortgage. Obviously now thanks to blogging she is able to buy higher end fashion etc, and she is educated, but I know many people like her from growing up and I wouldn’t say they are either wealthy or privileged. Just quite normal raised well without huge expectations...

Also I really like Brittany! I’ve enjoyed her lot vlogs edited with good music and what was described as slow living. Even her fashion, which would look awful on me, doesn’t seem like a consumeristic reflection of labels. But she’s definitely lucky she can pull it off being naturally very slim and petite lol.

I think I enjoy her YouTube more than her Instagram as she seems more down to earth on it. It’s been interesting to follow her garden updates too, although the garden furniture was crazy expensive...

Even if I lived in London I wouldn’t be going out to soho or pubs in central. There are green spaces in London, even if gardens are rarer.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Hi I’m sorry but I don’t think it’s totally fair to say she is wealthy and privileged. On her LinkedIn it seems she has worked mostly retail after art college and before blogging. I’m not saying she has had it hard but I would her background is fairly ordinary, but she’s just really cool and felt confident following the art path which led her to retail, instead of chasing something more corporate. I think her relationship with dean reflects this, and the fact that they live somewhere relatively ordinary and without a huge mortgage. Obviously now thanks to blogging she is able to buy higher end fashion etc, and she is educated, but I know many people like her from growing up and I wouldn’t say they are either wealthy or privileged. Just quite normal raised well without huge expectations...

Also I really like Brittany! I’ve enjoyed her lot vlogs edited with good music and what was described as slow living. Even her fashion, which would look awful on me, doesn’t seem like a consumeristic reflection of labels. But she’s definitely lucky she can pull it off being naturally very slim and petite lol.

I think I enjoy her YouTube more than her Instagram as she seems more down to earth on it. It’s been interesting to follow her garden updates too, although the garden furniture was crazy expensive...

Even if I lived in London I wouldn’t be going out to soho or pubs in central. There are green spaces in London, even if gardens are rarer.
She is white and British. She has a job that allows her to work from home. She has a big house with a big garden. She has a lot of clothes including lots and lots of designer pieces. She is very privileged if you ask me!

• Heart
Reactions: 21
She is white and British. She has a job that allows her to work from home. She has a big house with a big garden. She has a lot of clothes including lots and lots of designer pieces. She is very privileged if you ask me!

The reply I quoted was about her entire life though. I’m saying I think she had an ordinary upbringing. Hardly lily pebbles or fleur de force.

Additionally I don’t think she has a particularly large house, it’s a terraced house with likely only two bedrooms or three at a push.

Her current lifestyle is obviously from her blogging success.

It's absolutely not.
The budget for her house was about 200k and they did it up cheap thanks to Dean.

I grew up somewhere ordinary and see many people like her my own age, they didn’t grow up wealthy. Before blogging she worked in retail... agree to disagree.

Reactions: 3
The reply I quoted was about her entire life though. I’m saying I think she had an ordinary upbringing. Hardly lily pebbles or fleur de force.

Additionally I don’t think she has a particularly large house, it’s a terraced house with likely only two bedrooms or three at a push.

Her current lifestyle is obviously from her blogging success.
Yes I don't think she comes from money, she made money in her career. Their house was quite cheap and they have redone it mostly themselves (also it's quite a small house if you consider what houses these other influencers have).

But out of all of these, the only privilege that she grew up with is that she is white and British which is a thing she can't change? She has a job that allows her to work from home but she had proper jobs as well if you look at her linkedin (roughly from 2009-2016 as visual merchandiser and loads of other fashion related positions - she even worked for Ralph Lauren) so I think blogging was just a transition from that - she clearly knows a lot about clothes. The house is quite small - I believe it's a two bedroom and if I remember right it was less that £150.000). She does have a lot of clothes but..that is her job??? Photographers have thousands of pounds worth of equipment cause that is their job but no one would comment on that. She also buys most of them second hand (she always says this in videos) or she waits a long time and really considers her purchases. She even sold loads of clothes in the last few months on depop to raise some money for charity - most of the pieces were £30 or less than £30 and new they would be hundreds of pounds or even vintage pieces - she even sold a bag for like £100 and it's worth close to £1000 if I am not mistaken. I am not saying she doesn't have any privileges, I said before but I also think she has the knowledge and worked hard - unlike someone like Lily Pebbles who probably makes way more money that Brittany and can barely spell or make an interesting post.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
i've followed brittany since around 2015 when she was working in retail (i believe she only left retail to blog full time around a year or two ago) and i remember her saying that even when she didn't earn that much money, she liked to save up and invest in pieces and ditched the faster fashion shops like topshop. i really appreciate how considered she is with her purchases. you can tell she looks after her clothes and wears and rewears them, which is refreshing when it feels like everyone else on instagram buys something to wear and pose for a picture in once and then it's never seen again. she clearly knows her style and what she likes to wear and what suits her, and although i couldn't pull it off myself, it is inspiring to see someone invest in their wardrobe for themselves, regardless of trends or #ads. i trust her opinion!

i can see why people may think her vlogs / she is boring but i think she is simply more of a calm and quiet character, which is quite rare on youtube, hence why people might not get it. i really enjoyed and appreciated her honesty with regards to lockdown and while, yes, she is incredibly lucky to live the life that she does, i think she is aware of that, and she doesn't live that far from reality IMO (especially compared to others on youtube and instagram that haven't got a clue).

the depiction of slower living, considered shopping and thoughtfulness surrounding the wider world is hugely lacking in the vapid "influencer" world, so brittany's content is really refreshing and important.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
She's a recent find of mine on YouTube. I really like her slow paced style of vlog. She seems quite considered in her opinions.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
i've followed brittany since around 2015 when she was working in retail (i believe she only left retail to blog full time around a year or two ago) and i remember her saying that even when she didn't earn that much money, she liked to save up and invest in pieces and ditched the faster fashion shops like topshop. i really appreciate how considered she is with her purchases. you can tell she looks after her clothes and wears and rewears them, which is refreshing when it feels like everyone else on instagram buys something to wear and pose for a picture in once and then it's never seen again. she clearly knows her style and what she likes to wear and what suits her, and although i couldn't pull it off myself, it is inspiring to see someone invest in their wardrobe for themselves, regardless of trends or #ads. i trust her opinion!

i can see why people may think her vlogs / she is boring but i think she is simply more of a calm and quiet character, which is quite rare on youtube, hence why people might not get it. i really enjoyed and appreciated her honesty with regards to lockdown and while, yes, she is incredibly lucky to live the life that she does, i think she is aware of that, and she doesn't live that far from reality IMO (especially compared to others on youtube and instagram that haven't got a clue).

the depiction of slower living, considered shopping and thoughtfulness surrounding the wider world is hugely lacking in the vapid "influencer" world, so brittany's content is really refreshing and important.
100% agree, even though i can never afford half of what she buys, the way she justifies buying an expensive bag is a fair enough explanation i think, you can tell she doesn't buy for buy sake!

• Heart
Yes I don't think she comes from money, she made money in her career. Their house was quite cheap and they have redone it mostly themselves (also it's quite a small house if you consider what houses these other influencers have).

But out of all of these, the only privilege that she grew up with is that she is white and British which is a thing she can't change? She has a job that allows her to work from home but she had proper jobs as well if you look at her linkedin (roughly from 2009-2016 as visual merchandiser and loads of other fashion related positions - she even worked for Ralph Lauren) so I think blogging was just a transition from that - she clearly knows a lot about clothes. The house is quite small - I believe it's a two bedroom and if I remember right it was less that £150.000). She does have a lot of clothes but..that is her job??? Photographers have thousands of pounds worth of equipment cause that is their job but no one would comment on that. She also buys most of them second hand (she always says this in videos) or she waits a long time and really considers her purchases. She even sold loads of clothes in the last few months on depop to raise some money for charity - most of the pieces were £30 or less than £30 and new they would be hundreds of pounds or even vintage pieces - she even sold a bag for like £100 and it's worth close to £1000 if I am not mistaken. I am not saying she doesn't have any privileges, I said before but I also think she has the knowledge and worked hard - unlike someone like Lily Pebbles who probably makes way more money that Brittany and can barely spell or make an interesting post.
Okay, quick question - how many people of her generation have what she has? Not many. Therefore she is privileged.
feels like this turned into a rave thread 🤦🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 5
She’s thirty and lives in a two bed terrace in a normal area which cost 150k which her tradesman partner did up himself? I don’t see what your point is...

She’s not got kids or a pet so of course she has some extra time and money on her hands.

She worked retail for a while before gaining more security to work freelance as a blogger. Not saying it’s hard work but it’s how the world works and she’s clearly a nice person so fair enough??

I think it began as a rave thread tbh

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Okay, quick question - how many people of her generation have what she has? Not many. Therefore she is privileged.
Does privileged make someone a bad person out of interest? This is coming from someone who's working class and lives in a small flat with no garden! just feels a bit unnecessary to be hostile towards her as she's considered privileged, that's pretty much all influencers!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I never made this thread as a hate thread.. The people requesting for a Brittany Bathgate thread actually liked her and just wanted to discuss, it wasn't about being nasty.

I understand she is more privileged than others but what I am trying to get at is that she did work for getting to where she is now unlike many other influencers who were just at the right place at the right time. As opposed to many others, she actually had proper retail and fashion jobs for about 10 years before becoming an influencer.

Also there are tattlers here who are more privileged than she is...literally loads of people on tattle have bigger houses than she does if you go and check the house buying threads. Many tattlers here have more designer pieces as well than she does. But being privileged does not make you a bad person, as long as you worked for it.

I come from a poor country, moved to the UK 5 years ago with £1000 that my parents had to get from the bank to afford it, I cleaned toilets full time for a living for about 3 years while I put myself through university and now I am 25 years old with a £40 k/year job for which I worked hard. Do you want to call me privileged? And should I feel bad about it?

Anyway it's one of those agree to disagree topics I believe.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.