Brittany Bathgate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The only thing she could possibly comment on is whether the brand is size inclusive or not to be honest. There is no way you can expect BB to know anything about what clothes suit which frames so I think it’s unfair to put that expectation on her. As someone said before, the whole point of influencers is to follow who inspires/applies to you, so if BB doesn’t cater to your frame then unfollow if you’re unable to take inspo from her and find your own way of recreating her looks - sorry if it sounds harsh but I think it’s a bit bonkers 😂

Reactions: 6
I think the problem with including advice for tall people/people with different cheekbones/eye colour etc is that it would be more difficult to figure it out, and most influencers are not very clever and are not interested in doing lots of work.
For example - I have a stunning tall model like friend. I always assumed that it was super easy for her to find clothes that fitted and suited her. But because she has a rectangular figure, lots of clothes don’t work for her. She has curated her style and it is the ultimate “I put on the first thing I found in my wardrobe”. The reality is that it took her years to curate it.
She assumed that I, a short hourglass would find clothes easily too, and if something is too long, I can just get my trousers/skirt cut shorter. But my problem is fitting my thighs and boobs into something that also fits my waistline, which is not fun either.
Could Brittany/Lizzy/Lindsey/insert influencer name here give advice tailored for people of different shapes, heights, sizes? They possibly could with a lot of research, but there would still be someone who says “well, this advice doesn’t fit me, so it’s bad advice!” And it’s not just clothes, it could be anything. Like I would love to find someone who lives in UK and blogs about books, but for whom English is a second language so they could talk about how easy would it be to read a particular book. There is plenty advice for people at the beginner level, but not so much when you are advanced. Maybe I should start a Booktube channel 😂
Okay, again, that’s one example, I’m not saying that BB has to give advice for people other than her mileau, but merely sticking to content that is about what looks good on you is really limiting. And it’s not that hard to know about other fits etc. stylists do that constantly. Yes, it might require you pay attention to things external to yourself, but since when is this so hard? It’s not. If you don’t enjoy it that’s okay, you can create original content in any number of ways. That’s not how editorial works in a magazine for example - a magazine editor doesn’t say what looks good on me, neither does a designer, usually. This type of content is boring is my point snd there are lots of ways of expanding on it. And no, they don’t necessarily take tons of research. Karen Britchick for example, has her friends over to talk about what looks great on them what she loves about their style. Fashion and interior designers don’t design what is right for them if they are real designers, they design to a client’s brief. This phase of I’m going to talk to you while I go to the post office or put on makeup that influencers are doing now, I personally think it’s getting tired. They will need to bring something more substantive to the table. Even if it’s going to a museum - talk about what gave you inspiration, not just that you went and you bought prints at the gift shop. Again, don’t take what I am saying literally, I don’t think that influencers are magazine editors or designers but they operate in a similar realm and this is a job, not a hobby. If they want people to relate to them snd be interested and contribute to the world as they often profess then yes, work is involved if you don’t want to become boring and tired, not relatable and unoriginal. Otherwise I give you 4 years tops. There are countless ways to provide original content. I don’t feel like doing research is a bad thing. Heck in my job as a trend researcher I had do endless amounts of research. I don’t feel like that’s a chore if you are researching something you love. Off the cuff is nice and should always be part of it, but hard work always pays off.

The only thing she could possibly comment on is whether the brand is size inclusive or not to be honest. There is no way you can expect BB to know anything about what clothes suit which frames so I think it’s unfair to put that expectation on her. As someone said before, the whole point of influencers is to follow who inspires/applies to you, so if BB doesn’t cater to your frame then unfollow if you’re unable to take inspo from her and find your own way of recreating her looks - sorry if it sounds harsh but I think it’s a bit bonkers 😂
That’s not what I said and that’s not what I watch for. I’m not looking for advice from her about what looks good. My point is, she does not venture outside of herself. She does not create much original content. She gets things, curates them, tries them on and photographes them. Sure, it’s what a lot of them do. And she’s pretty good at that and it’s not nothing but it’s not enough to be good. But if she wants to do more interesting work it would be an improvement to offer something more substantive than that. I’m not putting unrealistic, massive expectations on her. Jeez you can’t expect her to know anything about clothing? Are you serious? Why not? It’s not astrophysics. She can only offer whether a range is size inclusive? How lacking in creativity is that? Of course she can. She’s not stupid, far from it. I’m offering honest critique. I think she’s capable of more and hope she does. I would like to see her break through to a new level. It’s okay if you think that’s bonkers.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Okay, again, that’s one example, I’m not saying that BB has to give advice for people other than her mileau, but merely sticking to content that is about what looks good on you is really limiting. And it’s not that hard to know about other fits etc. stylists do that constantly. Yes, it might require you pay attention to things external to yourself, but since when is this so hard? It’s not. If you don’t enjoy it that’s okay, you can create original content in any number of ways. That’s not how editorial works in a magazine for example - a magazine editor doesn’t say what looks good on me, neither does a designer, usually. This type of content is boring is my point snd there are lots of ways of expanding on it. And no, they don’t necessarily take tons of research. Karen Britchick for example, has her friends over to talk about what looks great on them what she loves about their style. Fashion and interior designers don’t design what is right for them if they are real designers, they design to a client’s brief. This phase of I’m going to talk to you while I go to the post office or put on makeup that influencers are doing now, I personally think it’s getting tired. They will need to bring something more substantive to the table. Even if it’s going to a museum - talk about what gave you inspiration, not just that you went and you bought prints at the gift shop. Again, don’t take what I am saying literally, I don’t think that influencers are magazine editors or designers but they operate in a similar realm and this is a job, not a hobby. If they want people to relate to them snd be interested and contribute to the world as they often profess then yes, work is involved if you don’t want to become boring and tired, not relatable and unoriginal. Otherwise I give you 4 years tops. There are countless ways to provide original content. I don’t feel like doing research is a bad thing. Heck in my job as a trend researcher I had do endless amounts of research. I don’t feel like that’s a chore if you are researching something you love. Off the cuff is nice and should always be part of it, but hard work always pays off.

That’s not what I said and that’s not what I watch for. I’m not looking for advice from her about what looks good. My point is, she does not venture outside of herself. She does not create much original content. She gets things, curates them, tries them on and photographes them. Sure, it’s what a lot of them do. And she’s pretty good at that and it’s not nothing but it’s not enough to be good. But if she wants to do more interesting work it would be an improvement to offer something more substantive than that. I’m not putting unrealistic, massive expectations on her. Jeez you can’t expect her to know anything about clothing? Are you serious? Why not? It’s not astrophysics. She can only offer whether a range is size inclusive? How lacking in creativity is that? Of course she can. She’s not stupid, far from it. I’m offering honest critique. I think she’s capable of more and hope she does. I would like to see her break through to a new level. It’s okay if you think that’s bonkers.
given her background in retail and the fact that I think she studied fashion industry or something similar, there’s no reason we are spending so much time watching her move furniture. If she had a diverse group of friends with different styles this would all be fascinating. But she gives little regard to community in that way it seems, in many aspects of her life.

Reactions: 5
Apologies for being lazy but has she split from Dean?
Dean posted a video on his stories with BB in the snow so they’re still seeing each other.. I guess it’s because they’re a bubble and have no one else to hang around with?
Dean rarely featured on her insta but he was in the vlogs a lot but was very absent the last couple of weeks. I wonder why when they’re clearly still seeing each other? Just to save face or confusion perhaps..

Reactions: 2
Dean posted a video on his stories with BB in the snow so they’re still seeing each other.. I guess it’s because they’re a bubble and have no one else to hang around with?
Dean rarely featured on her insta but he was in the vlogs a lot but was very absent the last couple of weeks. I wonder why when they’re clearly still seeing each other? Just to save face or confusion perhaps..
Thank you!

I hope I don't sound snobby, but the fact that she's so blown away by The Secret History and considers it a hard book because of the amount of greek history/mythology it contains (spoiler alert: not much AT ALL) is quite.... surprising/disappointing. It's not thaaaat long either (500 pages aprox), so taking a star for that reason..... It's a good book but not life changing or specially hard, I'd actually say it's a decent book for late teenagers... quite enjoyable and entertaining due to the nice descriptions, interesting characters and mystery of the plot.
I think this contrasts a lot with the way she presents herself online, as this smart girl that knows a lot about art, architecture and design and uses all these big and pretentious words like "navigating"....

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Interesting that she keeps showing the paperback when her progress was automatically updating on goodreads as she read it on a kindle. Maybe it was such a challenging read for her that she needs the ebook to look things up more easily. Plus it’s not as pretty to show and ebook in her content since it doesn’t fit the contrived aesthetic.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
Interesting that she keeps showing the paperback when her progress was automatically updating on goodreads as she read it on a kindle. Maybe it was such a challenging read for her that she needs the ebook to look things up more easily. Plus it’s not as pretty to show and ebook in her content since it doesn’t fit the contrived aesthetic.
Remember she needs to fill up those shelves, might be reading through her ebook the house decor has to be completed...

Reactions: 3
Some times even despite you scanning it, it comes up as the kindle version, good reads has some big glitches it in at the moment

Some times even despite you scanning it, it comes up as the kindle version, good reads has some big glitches it in at the moment
I’m not saying it came up as a kindle version. I’m saying her progress was auto updating because it was an ebook and not the paper back. From my experience my paperbacks don’t auto update their progress to goodreads.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I’m not saying it came up as a kindle version. I’m saying her progress was auto updating because it was an ebook and not the paper back. From my experience my paperbacks don’t auto update their progress to goodreads.
From her updates she seems to have put the page numbers in herself, I’m don’t dispute she wouldn’t do it for her ascetic. Anyway 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I will admit that I put the pages into my goodreads myself....I’m just dedicated to displaying my progress lmao (lame I know!)

Reactions: 6
I don’t have an issue with the way Brittany handled Depop. She was aware not all her followers can afford the clothing she wears so sold clothing at a lower price to benefit both her followers and made a lot of money for the charities involved. She still would have made more money than donating the clothes to charity shops in Norwich who wouldn’t be aware of more niche/independent brands. And not to sound pro-Brittany but she did sell some clothing she bought with her own money and added some cash to the donation. Personally I’d rather this approach than someone like Lizzy who is the dictionary definition of privileged (only where she is because of family money) and has such a quick rotation of clothing who only started donating a paltry 20% of her Depop sales to charity after Brittany did her charity sale.

Considering Brittany has an affinity with Australia I never understood why she was adamant she wasn’t going to film a dresses video for her wardrobe review series because it was the end of summer. Errr Brittany, it’s going to be summer in Australia soon? And if most of your clothing is supposed to timeless and investment pieces surely it is past season and people will be buying it second hand anyway?
I also couldn’t understand how in the shoe video Brittany justified her reasons for how the Burberry patent Mary Janes were problematic, sold them on Depop, only then to buy the almost identical Proenza Schouler pair. Am I missing something?

And Brittany is definitely aware that all content posted to social media is an ad, all influencers are. If they’re posting for free its for personal gain, either for the brands attention, they got the item for free, or the brand has some connection to their management.

*first time quoting so hope this works*

“Just jumping on here to say”... this is what I come to Tattle for. I work in an industry related to influencer culture and it’s really great to read stuff from the consumer perspective (even though you’re kind of in the industry as well @brerwhabbit ). I do like Brittany and I think she has curated her style really well. But the vlogs are a bit boring now and I think it’s that issue of giving people what they ask for instead of innovating, trying different things, taking risks. At least someone like The Anna Edit ‘(even if you don’t like her style) has more of an editorial approach, researching and giving added value content. People may *think* they like the vlogs but they will get bored if they stay like this. Even in lockdown there are ways to experiment with content. I actually thought the Korean edit was good. And the Shoe one as well, very detailed and granular. I get annoyed when influencers think they can’t step outside the ‘me’ bubble. Or that they can only blog/vlog about stuff they own. You can talk about fashion history, your old style, overarching trends, all sorts of things that don’t involve shopping. I hate this idea that blogging/vlogging is only about consuming. That’s not what it was meant to be about as far as I remember :(

Others just lazily pontificate about their favorite this and that. I think the former is more interesting. For some it may be enough to listen to that. Bully for them. For me, there is little longevity or substance to that and as soon as a few years (or sooner)have passed they are irrelevant. If you want longevity in this business beyond the superficial pretty face or sense of what’s current/trendy and BB is trendy she just thinks she isn’t, then yeah, you have to develop more of a foundation. And that takes a bit more effort.

Reactions: 5
At least someone like The Anna Edit ‘(even if you don’t like her style) has more of an editorial approach, researching and giving added value content.
In what universe, does Anna do a better job to research and add value? :LOL::LOL: You should visit her tread on Tattle to see what people really think of Anna (and her annoying husband Mark!).

I do sometimes follow that thread. Well I’m thinking of a really in depth foundation review video she did a while ago and I’m sure there have been times when she’s talking about fashion and said she would post more affordable alternatives - possibly in a blog post. (Admittedly I didn’t then go to check the blog.) That being said, it was quite a while ago. But in general you get the feeling Anna does enjoy researching and creating useful magazine-like content and not just endless vlogs.

In what universe, does Anna do a better job to research and add value? :LOL::LOL: You should visit her tread on Tattle to see what people really think of Anna (and her annoying husband Mark!).

Reactions: 1
*first time quoting so hope this works*

“Just jumping on here to say”... this is what I come to Tattle for. I work in an industry related to influencer culture and it’s really great to read stuff from the consumer perspective (even though you’re kind of in the industry as well @brerwhabbit ). I do like Brittany and I think she has curated her style really well. But the vlogs are a bit boring now and I think it’s that issue of giving people what they ask for instead of innovating, trying different things, taking risks. At least someone like The Anna Edit ‘(even if you don’t like her style) has more of an editorial approach, researching and giving added value content. People may *think* they like the vlogs but they will get bored if they stay like this. Even in lockdown there are ways to experiment with content. I actually thought the Korean edit was good. And the Shoe one as well, very detailed and granular. I get annoyed when influencers think they can’t step outside the ‘me’ bubble. Or that they can only blog/vlog about stuff they own. You can talk about fashion history, your old style, overarching trends, all sorts of things that don’t involve shopping. I hate this idea that blogging/vlogging is only about consuming. That’s not what it was meant to be about as far as I remember :(
soooo true! Anna is about as shallow as it gets. If you work in anything related to influencer marketing please know that Anna is NOT an ideal. She lives a fake lifestyle, obfuscating reality when it comes to her “influencer” role, ie trying to play the relatable cool girl next door when her budget is insane, she’s way too dorky to pull off the style she’s shooting for, and most annoying to me, she’s so unoriginal. The confirmation bias is also a problem; she constructs every question / survey / prompt in such a way that she receives only positive feedback, and she’s used every filter mechanism available to her so that she doesn’t even see criticism.

I think she is dedicated to her work, which is admirable I guess (although her job is vile), but her “research” and “value add” is slim to none. I think she probably researches her personal expenditures and interests fairly well, but she is hardly honest when it comes to making that info public. Her brand should be called The Anna Deception.

In comparison, Brittany has a point of view with her aesthetic, she has actual industry expertise rather than someone who just briefly worked in marketing 10 years ago and has spent most of the last decade only working on their own stuff (like Anna and ugh Lily.)

I do sometimes follow that thread. Well I’m thinking of a really in depth foundation review video she did a while ago and I’m sure there have been times when she’s talking about fashion and said she would post more affordable alternatives - possibly in a blog post. (Admittedly I didn’t then go to check the blog.) That being said, it was quite a while ago. But in general you get the feeling Anna does enjoy researching and creating useful magazine-like content and not just endless vlogs.
I think the reason Anna loves a dupe so much is for the AF. The foundation video was quite a long time ago. I actually didn’t think it was that well done ... I remember watching it and thinking “this is what happens when you don’t have coworkers or editors.”

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.