Brittany Bathgate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it matters whether she bought it or not because it shows how privileged she really is (if it wasn't already obvious). To be able to buy a place straight away after breaking up with your long term partner, and not having to sell your shared property first - that's so ridiculously privileged it hurts.

(I know a lot of people here find the word privileged really triggering. Remember privileged doesn't mean you've never worked hard for something, it just means lots of factors in your life have made things more accessible to you!)
don’t you remember? He dad got us all together and insisted she’s a very hard worker!!! And that’s that:LOL:

Even if she’s making a ton of money...her money management doesn’t seem as smart as she thinks it does. To be honest I would not be surprised if she were in a ton of credit card debt. She doesn’t strike me as the type who actually puts money away for savings or a rainy day or a break up. I’d be very curious if she would ever vlog about her personal budget.

When I splurge on clothing I like to spend my money on items that will bring me joy to wear. Her closet is just an expensive assortment of blah. I relate to her outfits being a form of self expression but for someone who does not go anywhere or do anything I don’t get why she has the most inappropriate wardrobe. It must be exhausting. She has also gotten so many requests on YouTube for a video about her changing style and I’m confused why she can’t just explain it. I love talking about my clothes and my influences so it’s suspicious to me why she’s so tight lipped. She barely even mentions her YouTube on Instagram.

I have also noticed she has sold some items on depop that she claimed were gifted on her vlog, I’m assuming to clear space during her move. This was separate from the stuff she sold for cheap for charity. I don’t know if that’s something that’s frowned upon, but I’ve seen other influencers get called out for doing the same thing. She also deletes her depop items shortly after they’re sold so it looks like she’s barely sold anything, but if you look at her profile she’s actually sold a ton of items over the years.

Reactions: 6
We know she’s privileged. To me that’s not in question. Problem for me, is she doesn’t seem to evolve beyond that.

You know what the minfluencers remind me of? Armani in the 1990’s and how all the celebrities started dressing tastefully for the Academy Awards etc. and people like Bjork refused to acquiesce and wore a dress that looked like a swan and was ridiculed. Guess who was more memorable and admirable over time. Bjork for the win. Always❤

Not that you have to be out there to be original. Just that being sincerely original is always more interesting.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
Her unawareness of her privilege is what bothers me. The way she handled her depop sale for charity was awful box ticking exercise. She kept saying she was selling items way below their average second hand price just so she can give to charity, but it didn’t occur to her it would be useful to collect as much money as possible for those charities. The “it’s all anyway going for charity” almost sounded like she thinks charity money is just spare change and cannot imagine being truly generous. Would she have considered increasing the price if it was going to her own pocket?

I thought the same in her latest video when she was talking about brands that only had one size and said “that’s really frustrating” or something. It’s more than frustrating, it’s totally exclusive when something only comes in the size that fits Brittany who is very petite.
Same with the Korean brand in her last video, I bet you would wouldn't be able to find anything over a size 12, I don't expect her to not shop at those places because of it, but don't make a thing of size inclusivity when most of the brands she shops at don't cater at LEAST to a size 14 !! I get the petite struggle, i'm leg 27 so always have to take things up

Reactions: 2
Her unawareness of her privilege is what bothers me. The way she handled her depop sale for charity was awful box ticking exercise. She kept saying she was selling items way below their average second hand price just so she can give to charity, but it didn’t occur to her it would be useful to collect as much money as possible for those charities. The “it’s all anyway going for charity” almost sounded like she thinks charity money is just spare change and cannot imagine being truly generous. Would she have considered increasing the price if it was going to her own pocket?
BB doesn't strike me as a charitable person. In fact, she strikes me as someone who wouldn't do charitable things unless it benefits her in some way (like making a point of selling stuff to donate - why not just donate? she basically got other people up to pay for her donation)

Reactions: 4
BB doesn't strike me as a charitable person. In fact, she strikes me as someone who wouldn't do charitable things unless it benefits her in some way (like making a point of selling stuff to donate - why not just donate? she basically got other people up to pay for her donation)
I think she even said that one person asked her if she really wanted to sell an item for such a ridiculously low price as they knew it was worth much more and would’ve paid more for it. So I am baffled how it didn’t cross her mind how much more money she could’ve easily got for those charities without doing more work as the items would’ve sold easily even at higher price.

Her items for charity on Depop were always at a very reasonable price whereas the ones that were not for charity were set at a higher price.

• Angry
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Her items for charity on Depop were always at a very reasonable price whereas the ones that were not for charity were set at a higher price.
and now I just realized her depop has mysteriously disappeared!

Reactions: 1
Oh for sure Readinginks it bothers me too. Although I think that's part of privilege - the unawareness. I just have to grit my teeth. I find I'm gritting my teeth more with her at the moment than not though and the balance is tipping. She's kind of an asshole when she talks about giving to charity. How about you buy one less coat and give 1000 pounds to charity too. It's absurd that she even mentions it. Her spending is completely antithetical to any sort of philanthropic endeavor. That said, I feel like we could go down the rabbit hole on this for days. You've said it well, she's privileged, doesn't realize it (as many privileged people) and fakes understanding of what it means to be without which is the ultimate insult and makes it far worse.

This is what bothers me a lot about "influencers" in general - because most of them have zero foundational knowledge except what works on them, it is, consequently, all about them. They cannot be bothered or seem unable to apply to others who are different from them. So if you're 5 foot 2 or 3 and blond and have similar skin color and build and aesthetic then what's she is saying is can be helpful IF you like that aesthetic and want to copy exactly. Same with makeup gurus- a lot, not all of the time, it's about, my eyes turn down so I do this, I have impossibly high cheekbones so I do this etc. So if you don't have exactly the same facial structure it's not helpful. Unlike a real make up artist like the late Kevin Aucoin (I'm showing my era again LOL) who truly studied facial aesthetics and learned to deal with different face types and bring out the unique beauty in every woman. This takes depth and expansive thinking.

Brittany always talks like she is some horribly overlooked minority - "I buy Korean because I don't have to alter everything". She even has an account set up in Asia so they will forward her packages. Despite claiming to care about the environment. Airplanes (aeroplanes); the fuel consumed and exhaust emitted are top of the list of polluters - one of the biggest environmental problems today. She, and other influencers should really title their vlogs "Brittany Bathgate, height challenged person (well not really) with oodles of money, tons of entitlement, a zeal for being admired and little patience for alterations who only likes beige and other neutrals". And I'm not saying they have to always translate or provide cheaper options, that's a bit naff and there is no substitution for some of this stuff - it's just - you know, some other content would be nice. Like, here is my favorite pair of trousers - what is it specifically about them that I look for, that I like - she does do a bit of that, but she could learn more and expand on it. Here are people I admire, stylistically...Instead, it's all them all the time 24-7 and this ultimately leads to their demise b/c people can't relate anymore? When they first start, there is a vulnerability and they quickly lose it in the swamp of product and greed if they don't have the underlying substance/ self awareness. I guess this loops back to my original comment about her privilege/faux charity-ism - here we go again, I'm sorry, I guess we can't get away from it can we? It is integral I suppose.

I have a friend who is model beautiful and she's an amazing person but she told me once that she wasn't always, she was very shallow in college and she felt it was because she didn't have to try- people liked her no matter what. She got bored of that and committed herself to reading more and learning more about music and fashion and hanging out with more interesting people. I think it's a bit similar with privilege, because you don't have to try as hard for stuff or be creative b/c you have the money to just buy it, you are actually at a deficit. Very few people recognize this, but those that do, can recalibrate - but it is rare.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
While I get your point, I’m think it’s a bit rich saying she doesn’t strike you as a charitable person when she did at least give something to charity when she could have just been quiet and done nothing like a lot of other influencers.
She could always do more but I think that’s true of everyone

While I get your point, I’m think it’s a bit rich saying she doesn’t strike you as a charitable person when she did at least give something to charity when she could have just been quiet and done nothing like a lot of other influencers.
She could always do more but I think that’s true of everyone
She literally lowered the price for the items she was selling for charity while the ones she sold for herself she kept at a higher price.....

Reactions: 11
Oh for sure Readinginks it bothers me too. Although I think that's part of privilege - the unawareness. I just have to grit my teeth. I find I'm gritting my teeth more with her at the moment than not though and the balance is tipping. She's kind of an asshole when she talks about giving to charity. How about you buy one less coat and give 1000 pounds to charity too. It's absurd that she even mentions it. Her spending is completely antithetical to any sort of philanthropic endeavor. That said, I feel like we could go down the rabbit hole on this for days. You've said it well, she's privileged, doesn't realize it (as many privileged people) and fakes understanding of what it means to be without which is the ultimate insult and makes it far worse.

This is what bothers me a lot about "influencers" in general - because most of them have zero foundational knowledge except what works on them, it is, consequently, all about them. They cannot be bothered or seem unable to apply to others who are different from them. So if you're 5 foot 2 or 3 and blond and have similar skin color and build and aesthetic then what's she is saying is can be helpful IF you like that aesthetic and want to copy exactly. Same with makeup gurus- a lot, not all of the time, it's about, my eyes turn down so I do this, I have impossibly high cheekbones so I do this etc. So if you don't have exactly the same facial structure it's not helpful. Unlike a real make up artist like the late Kevin Aucoin (I'm showing my era again LOL) who truly studied facial aesthetics and learned to deal with different face types and bring out the unique beauty in every woman. This takes depth and expansive thinking.

Brittany always talks like she is some horribly overlooked minority - "I buy Korean because I don't have to alter everything". She even has an account set up in Asia so they will forward her packages. Despite claiming to care about the environment. Airplanes (aeroplanes); the fuel consumed and exhaust emitted are top of the list of polluters - one of the biggest environmental problems today. She, and other influencers should really title their vlogs "Brittany Bathgate, height challenged person (well not really) with oodles of money, tons of entitlement, a zeal for being admired and little patience for alterations who only likes beige and other neutrals". And I'm not saying they have to always translate or provide cheaper options, that's a bit naff and there is no substitution for some of this stuff - it's just - you know, some other content would be nice. Like, here is my favorite pair of trousers - what is it specifically about them that I look for, that I like - she does do a bit of that, but she could learn more and expand on it. Here are people I admire, stylistically...Instead, it's all them all the time 24-7 and this ultimately leads to their demise b/c people can't relate anymore? When they first start, there is a vulnerability and they quickly lose it in the swamp of product and greed if they don't have the underlying substance/ self awareness. I guess this loops back to my original comment about her privilege/faux charity-ism - here we go again, I'm sorry, I guess we can't get away from it can we? It is integral I suppose.

I have a friend who is model beautiful and she's an amazing person but she told me once that she wasn't always, she was very shallow in college and she felt it was because she didn't have to try- people liked her no matter what. She got bored of that and committed herself to reading more and learning more about music and fashion and hanging out with more interesting people. I think it's a bit similar with privilege, because you don't have to try as hard for stuff or be creative b/c you have the money to just buy it, you are actually at a deficit. Very few people recognize this, but those that do, can recalibrate - but it is rare.
Wow, some really great expansive thoughts xx

She literally lowered the price for the items she was selling for charity while the ones she sold for herself she kept at a higher price.....
thats fair enough I see your point and I know this isn’t exactly a rave thread but I stand by the fact she still did something.
You’re damned either way

Reactions: 3
thats fair enough I see your point and I know this isn’t exactly a rave thread but I stand by the fact she still did something.
You’re damned either way

This is the problem with "doing something". I'd rather she did nothing at all honestly. This is just to check a "charitable" box for marketing purposes, much like a student who gets observation hours but just shows up and doesn't really participate fully. I would have no problem if she did it without talking about it. It's actually worth much more to her than the charitable donation. This "buys" her seemingly good will. I don't care for it. Meanwhile there are tons of people doing lots of good and not seeking recognition. Are people really benefiting from this donation? Maybe, a little, but it would be far more effective for her to volunteer her time or not buy that thing, or decline the gift (shock, horrors), or donate the gift right away to an organization that provides clothing for women going on job interviews etc. I don't subscribe to well she did something - this serves her way more than others, it's a net gain for her and not an equal gain for those she is professing to help. I don't congratulate her for it. It's not actually a sacrifice - it's more, oh here, I have this thing I don't like and want to get out of my house to make room for more things and as I'm a minimalist I don't like having too much stuff clutter my vibe - toss - you have lessor taste so it'll be okay for you to use while I move on to bigger and better items. This allows me to look philanthropic and clean up my home. Win, win. Except win win almost all, and disproportionately so, for her. Win, win, little bit of stale cake for someone else. In other words imagine someone coming out of the train station in all their finery and there is a person asking for money for food and they take a pile of pennies out of the pocket of their Gucci pants - oops, sorry, it's sticky from a piece of gum and there's some lint in there but you are used to that sort of thing, and throw it at them to pick up. What? But I didn't have to give them anything, it's better than nothing! Bit harsh, but not completely dissimilar in my mind. My distaste runs along those lines.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
You’re damned either way
Her attitude to charity is the same as to sustainability. In other words superficial, uninformed, lacking depth and just to tick off a box so her viewers can’t say she hasn’t done it. Because she can now say that at least she’s done something.

EDITED:
Just to add, Brittany is not on social media out of hobby and she’s no longer posting just for her own pleasure as she may have when she was young and fresh out of college. Being active on social media is her job, she is a brand led by a 30 year old woman that supposedly makes informed decisions and stands by certain business choices as much as the choice of aesthetic. If she is calling on brands to be sustainable and do charitable work, it’s naive that her brand cannot be held to same standards of responsibility just because there’s a pretty face associated with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
But... this IS the concept of a personal style blogger or now called “influencer”. It literally is about what that specific person likes/wears/whatever. And not about showing stuff they think most people would like or would apply to - which would make them kinda inauthentic in the end.
If you want more variety or foundational knowlegde then buy a magazine or a Kevin Aucoin book (not saying that magazines always succeed in being inclusive). But that’s not what “influencers” are for.
If I don’t have the same skin issues or taste or whatever like influencer A I don’t have to follow that one and simply follow influencer B. I pick the ones I relate the most to.

PS: English is not my first language so bear with me if it’s not 100% correctly written 😅

But... this IS the concept of a personal style blogger or now called “influencer”. It literally is about what that specific person likes/wears/whatever. And not about showing stuff they think most people would like or would apply to - which would make them kinda inauthentic in the end.
If you want more variety or foundational knowlegde then buy a magazine or a Kevin Aucoin book (not saying that magazines always succeed in being inclusive). But that’s not what “influencers” are for.
If I don’t have the same skin issues or taste or whatever like influencer A I don’t have to follow that one and simply follow influencer B. I pick the ones I relate the most to.

PS: English is not my first language so bear with me if it’s not 100% correctly written 😅
While I understand where you’re coming from, I think we’re passed that point where influencers were just evolved personal style blogs. They have since worked to form a brand, have a business, accept sponsorship and collaborations with brands in exchange of a paycheque that is compatible to amounts paid to other advertising channels. From this point on they should be held to same standards as other entities in the fashion industry.

Why call out brands (but of course only exclusively cheaper high-street ones) while not following through with any of these principles yourself? If you as a business don’t stand for something and have no credibility the moment you see the paycheque, why are you bashing other businesses?

Reactions: 7
While I understand where you’re coming from, I think we’re passed that point where influencers were just evolved personal style blogs. They have since worked to form a brand, have a business, accept sponsorship and collaborations with brands in exchange of a paycheque that is compatible to amounts paid to other advertising channels. From this point on they should be held to same standards as other entities in the fashion industry.

Why call out brands (but of course only exclusively cheaper high-street ones) while not following through with any of these principles yourself? If you as a business don’t stand for something and have no credibility the moment you see the paycheque, why are you bashing other businesses?
Correct me if I misunderstood.
But... are you saying BB for example should give style advice for tall girls because not everyone has the same build as her. But she obviously can’t really have an idea about it since she is not tall herself.
Sure influencers are businesses now but they don’t sell clothes, they sell style/taste so I don’t think it makes sense to expect inclusivity in an influencer’s content that is based on outfits that particular influencer is wearing

Correct me if I misunderstood.
But... are you saying BB for example should give style advice for tall girls because not everyone has the same build as her. But she obviously can’t really have an idea about it since she is not tall herself.
Sure influencers are businesses now but they don’t sell clothes, they sell style/taste so I don’t think it makes sense to expect inclusivity in an influencer’s content that is based on outfits that particular influencer is wearing
These are just examples I’m giving of original content. There is no definition of influencers and bloggers. There is no standard “concept”. It’s entirely up to them what they do and several do it quite well. And BB has capacity to do it better. From the very start of blogging it wasn’t just about personal style. Look at sartorialist, look at various street style blogs on the early to mid 2000s. It absolutely did not start this way. It’s evolved into this as lowest common denominator, easy content. So you saying well this is the concept means very little to me as someone who has worked in fashion and with bloggers and trend services and stylists for decades in my career. No, she doesn’t have to include style advice for tall girls but what she is doing is the absolute lowest possible bar of fashion critique. It provides little value other than to people that are exactly the same as her. There are many ways to offer higher quality content and those creators, because they are creators vs. regurgitators, provide more and the level is higher. Sure, you can do what you want. You can make crappy content. But, in turn I can call it out for being not great. Just like some designers are copiers and others true originals who if they do use things as inspiration change them and meld them into a singular and interesting vision and add something to the world.

Plus, and I know English is not first language so I may misinterpret this but “not what influencers are for?”. This makes me want to do what my favorite ex boyfriend who was Italian would do. He would put both hands and shake them up and down and just say “and who are you?”. I’m not trying to make fun but honestly what is tv for? What are magazines for? What is the internet for? Shoot, who I am God? There is no single boiler plate answer for that. It’s different for everyone. But they are content and critique of content is what happens when it goes out into the world.
Many of my points, you seem to be missing my meaning and possibly that is my lack of clarity. It is not that I want to read a Kevin aucoin book it’s that some “influencers” are similarly at his level and approach and increase the knowledge base. Others just lazily pontificate about their favorite this and that. I think the former is more interesting. For some it may be enough to listen to that. Bully for them. For me, there is little longevity or substance to that and as soon as a few years (or sooner)have passed they are irrelevant. If you want longevity in this business beyond the superficial pretty face or sense of what’s current/trendy and BB is trendy she just thinks she isn’t, then yeah, you have to develop more of a foundation. And that takes a bit more effort. Alexa Chung, who she so admires well she has really developed her knowledge, is a good writer, illustrates and is far more interesting because of her originality that goes far beyond the fact that she’s gorgeous. Alexa does interview with people who have completely dissimilar style and explores how they dress. Just one example of someone a cut above.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I think the problem with including advice for tall people/people with different cheekbones/eye colour etc is that it would be more difficult to figure it out, and most influencers are not very clever and are not interested in doing lots of work.
For example - I have a stunning tall model like friend. I always assumed that it was super easy for her to find clothes that fitted and suited her. But because she has a rectangular figure, lots of clothes don’t work for her. She has curated her style and it is the ultimate “I put on the first thing I found in my wardrobe”. The reality is that it took her years to curate it.
She assumed that I, a short hourglass would find clothes easily too, and if something is too long, I can just get my trousers/skirt cut shorter. But my problem is fitting my thighs and boobs into something that also fits my waistline, which is not fun either.
Could Brittany/Lizzy/Lindsey/insert influencer name here give advice tailored for people of different shapes, heights, sizes? They possibly could with a lot of research, but there would still be someone who says “well, this advice doesn’t fit me, so it’s bad advice!” And it’s not just clothes, it could be anything. Like I would love to find someone who lives in UK and blogs about books, but for whom English is a second language so they could talk about how easy would it be to read a particular book. There is plenty advice for people at the beginner level, but not so much when you are advanced. Maybe I should start a Booktube channel 😂

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.