Brittany Bathgate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also wonder if it’s a bit unfair to claim she has a wealthy background when that doesn’t seem the case...

It would be fair to say she is definitely middle class but I think it’s a sorry state of current society where someone with their own house at thirty, a mid terrace, is considered obscenely wealthy and privileged. She can’t even drive which is usually a sign of privilege with people having lessons growing up etc.

The housing market is insane yes but Norwich is fairly affordable and with their house within their means she can have a higher disposable income. It’s actually quite normal in many cheaper cities usually up north for ordinary people to have higher levels of disposable income, especially without kids. Btw I am left leaning and very aware of social issues but I have seen the stats.

I’m kind of cringing that this thread was only created recently to rave about Brittany and she may end up reading it and we’re just discussing her class 😬 I’m so sorry

Reactions: 4
I also wonder if it’s a bit unfair to claim she has a wealthy background when that doesn’t seem the case...

It would be fair to say she is definitely middle class but I think it’s a sorry state of current society where someone with their own house at thirty, a mid terrace, is considered obscenely wealthy and privileged. She can’t even drive which is usually a sign of privilege with people having lessons growing up etc.

The housing market is insane yes but Norwich is fairly affordable and with their house within their means she can have a higher disposable income. It’s actually quite normal in many cheaper cities usually up north for ordinary people to have higher levels of disposable income, especially without kids. Btw I am left leaning and very aware of social issues but I have seen the stats.

I’m kind of cringing that this thread was only created recently to rave about Brittany and she may end up reading it and we’re just discussing her class 😬 I’m so sorry
Yes, I am annoyed about it as Brittany is literally one of the only people I actually watch for pleasure and I admire and this thread was created as a rave thread as you can tell by my first message and by the messages from Anna's thread when people requested it.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I never made this thread as a hate thread.. The people requesting for a Brittany Bathgate thread actually liked her and just wanted to discuss, it wasn't about being nasty.

I understand she is more privileged than others but what I am trying to get at is that she did work for getting to where she is now unlike many other influencers who were just at the right place at the right time. As opposed to many others, she actually had proper retail and fashion jobs for about 10 years before becoming an influencer.

Also there are tattlers here who are more privileged than she is...literally loads of people on tattle have bigger houses than she does if you go and check the house buying threads. Many tattlers here have more designer pieces as well than she does. But being privileged does not make you a bad person, as long as you worked for it.

I come from a poor country, moved to the UK 5 years ago with £1000 that my parents had to get from the bank to afford it, I cleaned toilets full time for a living for about 3 years while I put myself through university and now I am 25 years old with a £40 k/year job for which I worked hard. Do you want to call me privileged? And should I feel bad about it?

Anyway it's one of those agree to disagree topics I believe.
Omg I’m just graduating now at 23, absolutely praying for a job that pays this well but I’m so overwhelmed about professional skills and pathway so and I have no idea where to start 😬😭

Also my keyboard hates me so rest assured my typos aren’t from my own poor grammar, just fat fingers...

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Omg I’m just graduating now at 23, absolutely praying for a job that pays this well but I’m so overwhelmed about professional skills and pathway so and I have no idea where to start 😬😭

Also my keyboard hates me so rest assured my typos aren’t from my own poor grammar, just fat fingers...
Off topic but just believe in yourself and you will get there. When I went for the job that I have now (the entry level position) I had the luck of meeting someone who understood that there is more to me than just cleaning the toilets. I would say in any interview talk about yourself and life experiences as much as you can.. many employers our there don't just judge by your CV. Anything you do, teaches you something and gives you experience. My employer managed to look past my cv saying toilet cleaner and housekeeper and understood that it shows I am hard working and willing to do anything to lead a better life so be confident and show them who you are as a person!!

Also, if people agree I could try and get an admin to change this thread to the "rave about" section. Maybe it was my mistake putting it in bloggers but it was my second time creating a thread so I didn't know!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I followed her but I don't hate watch her like how i hate watch LP.
She dressed quite well in the sense that she has quite an unproblematic body shape that makes her dressed well above others.
I tried watching her Youtube but I cannot really tell her niche. She seems quiet and reserved which is something that I like personally.
To me, she is much bearable than Lizzy and Lindsey (all 3 girls have the same style)

Reactions: 6
Off topic but just believe in yourself and you will get there. When I went for the job that I have now (the entry level position) I had the luck of meeting someone who understood that there is more to me than just cleaning the toilets. I would say in any interview talk about yourself and life experiences as much as you can.. many employers our there don't just judge by your CV. Anything you do, teaches you something and gives you experience. My employer managed to look past my cv saying toilet cleaner and housekeeper and understood that it shows I am hard working and willing to do anything to lead a better life so be confident and show them who you are as a person!!

Also, if people agree I could try and get an admin to change this thread to the "rave about" section. Maybe it was my mistake putting it in bloggers but it was my second time creating a thread so I didn't know!
That’s really inspiring, thanks so much for sharing!! 💕

I followed her but I don't hate watch her like how i hate watch LP.
She dressed quite well in the sense that she has quite an unproblematic body shape that makes her dressed well above others.
I tried watching her Youtube but I cannot really tell her niche. She seems quiet and reserved which is something that I like personally.
To me, she is much bearable than Lizzy and Lindsey (all 3 girls have the same style)
I don’t know who those other women are, LP aside, but I think BB’s appeal is that she is just naturally cool, not try hard like some others can be, thinking of people like Tanya Burr, Estee Lalonde, maybe Anna Edit? ... I suppose it’s hard to explain... also her vlogs are really adult in that she doesn’t resort to high pitched fake friendliness or childish hyperbole, and yet her neutrality isn’t something that comes across as negative in the way it can with Lily Pebbles.

I find her vlogs a joy to watch

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
That’s really inspiring, thanks so much for sharing!! 💕

I don’t know who those other women are, LP aside, but I think BB’s appeal is that she is just naturally cool, not try hard like some others can be, thinking of people like Tanya Burr, Estee Lalonde, maybe Anna Edit? ... I suppose it’s hard to explain... also her vlogs are really adult in that she doesn’t resort to high pitched fake friendliness or childish hyperbole, and yet her neutrality isn’t something that comes across as negative in the way it can with Lily Pebbles.

I find her vlogs a joy to watch
I agree completely with what you have written.

Reactions: 3
Yeah I suggested a BB thread on Anna's page but I didn't necessarily mean as a rave thread. I do like her for the most part and that's why I was unsure about creating a thread cos I didn't want to hate on her. But I did want somewhere to discuss things from the vlogs.
I only recently got into her so I'm still making up my mind and tbh wanted to find out more about her.
Been scrolling through her old instagrams and blog content and it's interesting to see her progression. She doesn't strike me as someone who is naturally cool but I haven't followed for long.

I started it as a rave thread BUT I do appreciate people have their different opinions.. I didn't agree with some of them and I felt I guess that they weren't justified while all the other people who defended her gave very good arguments but I do understand that privilege is different for many people, and maybe my definition of it does not align with the definitions of others so I guess we should leave the thread here and continue to discuss as usual.

I am a newish fan of hers as well - about 9 months maybe since I discovered her so I couldn't really say many things about her in the past. Yes, from what I can tell she developed a better aesthetic with time but I think it something that comes with experience and working with actual brands in retail and visual merchandising.

I appreciate the simplicity of her life and her being "boring" like other people say because as I said before I believe it's genuine and many of us can relate to it. I always say I am boring but never in a bad way, I love the way I live my life. The only thing is that I feel like some people might think she is younger than she actually is by saying things like she is privileged for having a house and so many expensive clothes at her age and so on but she is 30 so that is why I didn't agree. She has 10 years of retail and fashion experience and only went full time with blogging about two years ago but some people have been talking like she just left university and managed to get everything overnight.

As I said, we are all entitled to different opinions so I don't want anyone to think they are not welcome here. Tattle has always been a place for everyone to feel free to comment so I do apologise if it came across in a different way.

EDIT: Just one more point I wanted to add is that at least with the house I strongly believe she would have been able to afford it with her job as a visual merchandiser and dean's job as an electrician (I believe - or builder? I know it's something in that field). I actually have friends in similar careers with similar salaries and have a more expensive house than she does at the moment - pretty sure their house is over £225 k while Brittany's house was £140 k and their total budget was £200 k according to an article I found online.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I started it as a rave thread BUT I do appreciate people have their different opinions.. I didn't agree with some of them and I felt I guess that they weren't justified while all the other people who defended her gave very good arguments but I do understand that privilege is different for many people, and maybe my definition of it does not align with the definitions of others so I guess we should leave the thread here and continue to discuss as usual.

I am a newish fan of hers as well - about 9 months maybe since I discovered her so I couldn't really say many things about her in the past. Yes, from what I can tell she developed a better aesthetic with time but I think it something that comes with experience and working with actual brands in retail and visual merchandising.

I appreciate the simplicity of her life and her being "boring" like other people say because as I said before I believe it's genuine and many of us can relate to it. I always say I am boring but never in a bad way, I love the way I live my life. The only thing is that I feel like some people might think she is younger than she actually is by saying things like she is privileged for having a house and so many expensive clothes at her age and so on but she is 30 so that is why I didn't agree. She has 10 years of retail and fashion experience and only went full time with blogging about two years ago but some people have been talking like she just left university and managed to get everything overnight.

As I said, we are all entitled to different opinions so I don't want anyone to think they are not welcome here. Tattle has always been a place for everyone to feel free to comment so I do apologise if it came across in a different way.

EDIT: Just one more point I wanted to add is that at least with the house I strongly believe she would have been able to afford it with her job as a visual merchandiser and dean's job as an electrician (I believe - or builder? I know it's something in that field). I actually have friends in similar careers with similar salaries and have a more expensive house than she does at the moment - pretty sure their house is over £225 k while Brittany's house was £140 k and their total budget was £200 k according to an article I found online.
If you would like a Rave thread then ask for this to be moved to the Rave section. It’s in the the blogger section so it’s ok if people are critical.

I’m happy to see a thread for her as I didn’t realize she was vlogging again. I had unsubscribed last year after she started posting only fashion videos, which bore me. Love the vlogs though and currently catching up.

I never made this thread as a hate thread.. The people requesting for a Brittany Bathgate thread actually liked her and just wanted to discuss, it wasn't about being nasty.
You're literally on a gossip board... Just because you like her doesn't mean other people can't criticise her.

I understand she is more privileged than others but what I am trying to get at is that she did work for getting to where she is now unlike many other influencers who were just at the right place at the right time. As opposed to many others, she actually had proper retail and fashion jobs for about 10 years before becoming an influencer.

Also there are tattlers here who are more privileged than she is...literally loads of people on tattle have bigger houses than she does if you go and check the house buying threads. Many tattlers here have more designer pieces as well than she does. But being privileged does not make you a bad person, as long as you worked for it.
That's not how privilege works though. Saying she's privileged doesn't mean she didn't "work hard". It means she had a head start in life because of her whiteness, her parents, her education, where she grew up, the opportunities she had. I'm not criticising her for that per se, but I am criticising her for being totally oblivious to it. She makes zero effort to educate herself about problematic brands and businesses, and gets really defensive when people try to talk to her about it. She supports fast fashion brands that are exploitative, when the has the money to stop shopping there. That's problematic. On top of that she's so bland. I love her style but sheesh, she's boring.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
You're literally on a gossip board... Just because you like her doesn't mean other people can't criticise her.

That's not how privilege works though. Saying she's privileged doesn't mean she didn't "work hard". It means she had a head start in life because of her whiteness, her parents, her education, where she grew up, the opportunities she had. I'm not criticising her for that per se, but I am criticising her for being totally oblivious to it. She makes zero effort to educate herself about problematic brands and businesses, and gets really defensive when people try to talk to her about it. She supports fast fashion brands that are exploitative, when the has the money to stop shopping there. That's problematic. On top of that she's so bland. I love her style but sheesh, she's boring.
If you would have read my last post properly you would have let this go. I said that I wanted to make a rave thread but I didn't know it was supposed to be in the rave about section (this is my second time ever creating a thread, I didn't even know there was a rave section). After that I said that tattle has always been about people speaking freely so I won't ask anyone to change it to the rave about section as you are all entitled to an opinion so I clearly let it go and you can say whatever you want to say.

Also if you would have read my post it was about people not necessarily criticising her but just saying: she is privileged cause she is white and so on without giving proper arguments to it. I respect your opinion now cause I understand where you are coming from as you explained it properly. But if you don't explain it properly, you just make it sound like she is in the same boat as other influencers for example Amelia Liana which comes from privilege and money and with the probably thousands of Youtubers around the globe who have never had a job, started youtube in their teenage years early 20's and have never seen a proper day of work in their lives while myself and a few others tried to explain that she is way different than that by working for 10 years in proper jobs.

But as a conclusion I will leave this as a normal thread and everyone can state their opinions as they are :D

I love her style philosophy and she’s a very similar size to me so I get a lot out of her content! She’s great about wearing a piece for a long time and giving a considered opinion about it.

What I can’t stand is that she seems to just stand for...nothing? Like her whole life is just this one bland aesthetic. I also read this blog article she wrote about having really found a good friend group after blogging and how hard it was to find new friends as an adult. And all her friends are skinny white girls who look and dress just like her. I had to laugh. Must be nice to live in a world like that where everything affirms her.

Reactions: 10
I love her style philosophy and she’s a very similar size to me so I get a lot out of her content! She’s great about wearing a piece for a long time and giving a considered opinion about it.

What I can’t stand is that she seems to just stand for...nothing? Like her whole life is just this one bland aesthetic. I also read this blog article she wrote about having really found a good friend group after blogging and how hard it was to find new friends as an adult. And all her friends are skinny white girls who look and dress just like her. I had to laugh. Must be nice to live in a world like that where everything affirms her.
I do believe her group is made from Lizzy Hadfield and another girl Lindsey (can't remember the last name) and yes, if you go on their accounts and don't look at the name you might mistake them for one another but because I haven't been following them for that long I don't even know who was basically "the original one" to say. At least they do fit the style, unlike the Anna edit who tries to be stylish but should stick to jeans and turtlenecks if you ask me. I think the blogging world wasn't;t as diversified as it is now when they all started to rise to popularity - or actually it was but most of these bloggers met at events I am assuming and until very recent years, every event had the same 20ish girls who were all skinny, white, similar "minimal" styles.

I didn't talk about this yet but I absolutely love their house (I am in the process of buying mine and I get so much Inspo from theirs). The before and afters are absolutely insane - it doesn't look anything like the original and I do appreciate they did almost everything themselves with the help of Dean's dad who I believe might be a builder or handy man.

• Heart
THIS. There's nothing original or unique or interesting about her. She's just a skinny white girl with lots of privilege. She doesn't have any strong opinions on anything and does all the same boring tit as all her other friends. Even the hobbies she picked up in lockdown were such cliches. She tries so hard to be interesting and she just isn't.

it doesn't look anything like the original and I do appreciate they did almost everything themselves with the help of Dean's dad who I believe might be a builder or handy man.
I think you need to learn about privilege. They didn't "do everything themselves", they had lots of help! That's privilege right there. The fact that they could buy a house in the first place, and then renovate it to completely change everything about it, all with the help from friends and family who have the money and time to help them do it. Most of us don't have that kind of privilege. It's so unrelatable.

Reactions: 9
THIS. There's nothing original or unique or interesting about her. She's just a skinny white girl with lots of privilege. She doesn't have any strong opinions on anything and does all the same boring tit as all her other friends. Even the hobbies she picked up in lockdown were such cliches. She tries so hard to be interesting and she just isn't.

I think you need to learn about privilege. They didn't "do everything themselves", they had lots of help! That's privilege right there. The fact that they could buy a house in the first place, and then renovate it to completely change everything about it, all with the help from friends and family who have the money and time to help them do it. Most of us don't have that kind of privilege. It's so unrelatable.
Ugh there we go again with the privilege. You have a big problem with it. Something must have made you very unhappy or jealous if you think that everything means privilege. I have friends - one of them a receptionist and her husband works in a factory and they saved money over the years and bought a house and made it up from scratch. They are not privileged at all, trust me. Maybe you live in London or the south? But in the north houses are quite cheap compared to other regions. If you look on Dean's instagram under the renovations story, you can see them getting down and dirty. Him building kitchens, them making a concrete floor themselves as it was too expensive to get someone else to do it, Brittany tearing down walls and the chimney, her literally mixing concrete in the backyard. I am not saying they aren't lucky to have family who can do that, unlike others (my hubby is literally taking a carpentry course at the moment so we can do everything in our house).

I think you are just jealous and you see everything as privilege. Just because someone has more than others, it does not mean privilege. If she was so privileged as you say and apparently wealthy, they would have hired people (like Lily Pebbles who can't even hang a picture herself - she hires people to hang pictures!!!!). Your idea of privilege is very extreme. If they were to lose their jobs tomorrow and couldn't get a new one, I don't believe they could afford their mortgage unlike Amelia Liana or Fleur who could always fall on their families for it.

Also I don't know it it was you who said it, about her education but education should be a right, it's not a privilege. That is why many organisations and people out there fight for that. Many people come to the UK to study (like myself as I said) and do so by working. I made this point many times, I did not say she is not privileged in some ways, but unlike others (this is the key here) she did work and do something else in her life except for begging for stuff.

Is she the only person you watch? Because out of all of them on Youtube that I have watched in my life (and it's been loads) she is the most relatable and she doesn't beg for free stuff.

You are honestly tiring and stubborn. I let it go a long time ago and made my point and said multiple times: AGREE TO DISAGREE but you might just be bored or don't understand what I am writing cause you keep harping on the same subject over and over again.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Just had a look at the renovation insta stories, looks like a lot of work. Were they living in the house at the time of the reno or in another flat? I haven't followed her for long. I do love their house, it's gorgeous. Not a huge fan of the front door though.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Indeed, I understand why comments about privilege are made but perspective is important. 85% of people in the UK own homes, they are in their thirties and their house was affordable, about half the price of an average UK house, and their renovations were done by tradesmen in the family. As already mentioned, that seems more luck than privilege. For context I am left leaning and very aware of my own privilege and of others’. For young people like me owning a house seems like a pipedream but in affordable areas like Norwich it seems more realistic, especially starting small in a two bed terrace like BB and Dean.

BB has also recently made efforts to educate herself of her own white privilege in regards to BLM and her comments seemed sincere as opposed to performative. She referred to making efforts not only in her personal life but also her professional life. Perhaps it is fair to say she is privileged in that most of us on this site are for being mostly western and perhaps white. But it seems unfair to paint her as being problematic.

If we take it to extremes it is true that we are all privileged here on this site, for one thing to spend our free times watching people’s content, and furthermore to spend time commenting on it. People in less fortunate positions might not be able to, for lack of access to technology, broadband, or simple time which they may spend working overtime, or in a second job, or providing care to others.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
You are honestly tiring and stubborn. I let it go a long time ago and made my point and said multiple times: AGREE TO DISAGREE but you might just be bored or don't understand what I am writing cause you keep harping on the same subject over and over again.

You're very defensive, are you ok?

You seem to think 'privilege' is an insult, it's not and I'm not using it that way. I'm just pointing out that Brittany has had a lot of opportunities that other people have not. Getting their "hands dirty" doing some of the renovation work doesn't mean they're not privileged.

You find her life inspiring; I think she's just another dull skinny white girl.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.