Brittany Bathgate #2 Buying things to fill the gaping hole in her personality

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
her "reviewing" books is a joke!! for example, simply saying Pachinko is a great family saga and that she loves family sagas, and she "enjoyed it for so many different elements" isn't a review, and it doesn't help in translating how good the book is! Pachinko is an excellent piece of writing that talks about the dislocation that comes with (forced) migration, and a change of identity for the people who were uprooted from their lands. I mean no book can accurately capture the experience of migrants because of varied experiences etc but Pachinko comes close. The author took 30 years to write the book so BB's half-hearted attempts at talking about the book is utterly laughable - "in the era of history in which Japan had ownership over Korea" - it's more like Japan colonised Korea, saying ownership is diluting what happened.

i understand that maybe she doesn't want to give out spoilers but not even mentioning migration or Pachinko parlours or even how the family tries to adjust to their new home through food is severely lacking. It's such a rich book about people, places, and experiences, and ultimately the toll that colonialism and migration can have on a family.

argh sorry!! i'm angry because it's one of my favourite books that she managed to make it sound all twee :mad:

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I wouldn't be surprised if some part of wanting to go over to Patreon is also to cut off Tattle / anyone thinking negatively about her. I think she's so neurotic she reads here regularly (hey BB!) and just wants to live in an echo chamber of people who she's misled into thinking she's an original "visual artist."

If making money via aff links truly makes her feel icky then I wonder how icky she felt accepting a Warehouse (aka Boohoo) brand deal after waffling on about sustainability. Or how icky she feels about using that brand money / aff link money to buy a £1.6k row banana bag 🤔

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
"I'm conscious I'd need to provide content of value..." as opposed to the drivel we're getting on YT, which...she is ok with because it is for free.

"I could post share them on Instagram, but boyyyy am I losing my passion for that app." what happened there??

Attachments

Reactions: 7
BB is always talking about what she wants to do - the camper van series, vlogging uploads every Sunday, going exclusively to clean beauty products within one year etc. But she doesn't follow through. I suspect Patreon seems like a good idea now...

Reactions: 9
Honestly it seems BB isn’t happy with her current influencer role, whilst I cannot relate to her role. I can relate to not being happy with my job, she’s saying this within her videos essentially. I think she needs to take time to work out what she wants and what she can actually cope with. It may be that she’d be better off working in fashion or retail again, if she is not keen on the sales sides of things. PIVOT PIVOT PIVOT.

It’s very clear she has a fear of criticism, as her opener about tail between her legs conveyed. Babe, you don’t owe us anything, why are you saying that? It’s almost like she thinks she’s misbehaved in some way or failed in some way. What’s wrong with “I didn’t upload because I didn’t want to, or I have been feeling anxious about getting these videos right and it’s made it hell creating them”. I had to turn it off there because I just cannot, I enjoy her vlogs but when she’s not doing so well, I really struggle to hear her self criticism.

Needless to say I was very surprised to hear the Patreon news. You know what, I’d say go for it! Do it BB, but you’ll have to create good content. Personally I won’t be paying, because I don’t pay for anyone’s content. But it works for some people. Lol I’ve written this like she reads here.

Reactions: 6
"I'm conscious I'd need to provide content of value..." as opposed to the drivel we're getting on YT, which...she is ok with because it is for free.

"I could post share them on Instagram, but boyyyy am I losing my passion for that app." what happened there??
According to my influencer dictionary, it roughly translates to “Last week Facebook and Instagram went down unexpectedly. Suddenly I’ve realised I need to diversify my income streams or else I’ll myself in real financial trouble.”

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
She seems very taken with the studio she's joined - mentions it in all her videos and in the Malene Birger thing for nearly every outfit she tried on. I wonder whether her co-working colleagues have had any influence on the way she feels about herself and her source of income? Like she says, she works with creatives and some very talented people - what is their take on influencers and the like? Do they silently give off the same opinions we voice on here about them all? Or do they embrace her? She comes over as a bit of a fangirl when she's talking about her shared workspace - personally I think she feels like she's stood on the outer circle there looking in and that might have fuelled the change. Patreon sounds cooler than YouTube to her maybe

Reactions: 14
She seems very taken with the studio she's joined - mentions it in all her videos and in the Malene Birger thing for nearly every outfit she tried on. I wonder whether her co-working colleagues have had any influence on the way she feels about herself and her source of income? Like she says, she works with creatives and some very talented people - what is their take on influencers and the like? Do they silently give off the same opinions we voice on here about them all? Or do they embrace her? She comes over as a bit of a fangirl when she's talking about her shared workspace - personally I think she feels like she's stood on the outer circle there looking in and that might have fuelled the change. Patreon sounds cooler than YouTube to her maybe
a very good point - i agree!

Reactions: 4
I think it’s rather unprofessional to moan about your job so publicly, saying she is losing passion for the app, just doesn’t look good.
Instagram isn’t the issue here, it’s she who is holding herself back none else, it all comes down to her and how she utilises the app, her own ideas, her anxiety. Patreon is only going to add that extra pressure because she seems to struggle with the app she has been using for so long that has given her life as influencer. She should try and be more appreciative of her own privilege and the job she does, most people would love to do what she does, or even have a job that pays well enough to be able to by a fraction of what she can. And I mean she does splurge on most basic things like a table, I’m sorry but buying an overpriced table or a lap isn’t exactly vital. Or buying clothes from Korea isn’t sustainable either.
There are so many issues with her current platform that she needs to work on before going off to soil other platform.
Im certain people at the studio aren’t influencers so why is she comparing herself, why is she aspiring to be more like them. Just do you, get help, collaborate, stop acting like you don’t pick ideas from fellow influencers, be more authentic with your followers, open up, be real, be vulnerable none will judge you for it. All this downgrading your own worth, blaming the app and moaning about criticism isn’t playing in your favour, it’s extremely unattractive and off putting.

Reactions: 11
I'm shocked that she thinks that people would pay to see her content......I mean influencers really think so highly of themselves.

Reactions: 8
I think the switch to tiktok/reels format scares her. TikTok and reels are super cringe at the best of times––the fashion ones being some of the worst imo. I suspect she is beginning to realize her age and that she might need to move on to bigger and better things if she wishes to sustain her lifestyle.

She is a fangirl because she gets to pretend she's a grown up. She seems like she's trying to fit in and overdoing it. That's how it comes across to me.

I think it’s rather unprofessional to moan about your job so publicly, saying she is losing passion for the app, just doesn’t look good.
Instagram isn’t the issue here, it’s she who is holding herself back none else, it all comes down to her and how she utilises the app, her own ideas, her anxiety. Patreon is only going to add that extra pressure because she seems to struggle with the app she has been using for so long that has given her life as influencer. She should try and be more appreciative of her own privilege and the job she does, most people would love to do what she does, or even have a job that pays well enough to be able to by a fraction of what she can. And I mean she does splurge on most basic things like a table, I’m sorry but buying an overpriced table or a lap isn’t exactly vital. Or buying clothes from Korea isn’t sustainable either.
There are so many issues with her current platform that she needs to work on before going off to soil other platform.
Im certain people at the studio aren’t influencers so why is she comparing herself, why is she aspiring to be more like them. Just do you, get help, collaborate, stop acting like you don’t pick ideas from fellow influencers, be more authentic with your followers, open up, be real, be vulnerable none will judge you for it. All this downgrading your own worth, blaming the app and moaning about criticism isn’t playing in your favour, it’s extremely unattractive and off putting.
100%, this is bang on.

It blows me away that the best thing she's done (while likely a knockoff of someone else) is her montages and yet.... she's not doing that anymore.

Reactions: 5
Apologies if this has been discussed, but has any of you noticed Dean trying to post and do more of his art. I must say I Iiked his work way better when I didn’t see that much of it. His style seems rather rigid and stuck in some Hockney wanabe category. His daily sketches appear very stiff and unskilled as if he hasn’t had professional training or hasn’t held a pencil in years. I wonder if he regrets not having a partner who’s visually/creatively more adventurous as they both seem to have limited themselves to a very particular style that they at one point decided was cool and no longer seem to evolve.

Reactions: 6
Re the interviewing idea, the first time I saw her was when she was interviewed by What Olivia Did. I wouldn’t be surprised if she attempted something similar but there is no way she could carry it off in the same way. And I wouldn’t pay to see anyone do that either. I don’t subscribe or follow her but her videos always get added to my recommendations and I usually skip through them. I think she hates the fact that she shared her private life but what did she expect would happen? She did it for the views, money and homewear freebies. I would never in a million years share any of that with the public as “a hobby” so I’ve no sympathy.

Reactions: 8
I think she doesn't quite understand how virtually all influencers of her level of experience and subject matter make money by carving out a niche and working with high volume brands or high margin categories (jewelry, cosmetics) and services (aggregators like farfetch, food services like hello fresh, online classes, vpns etc) who have the resources to pay them promotional fees or provide them free product. And it's a I scratch your back you scratch mine concept that is a relatively new way to make money. Most of the fee is based on the breadth of their following which can align with the quality of their talent but often doesn't.

BB wants to be valued on a different level. She thinks b/c she has the chops to have amassed followers she has the talent and skills of a high level fashion editor/ icon who people will come to just for advice. But those aren't the people giving her the funds to buy Row bags, it's people like H&M, Hermes cosmetics, furniture companies, who pay her to serve as a grass roots level advertiser because you have an audience. That's what you are, a billboard that followers feel is credible but not on the level of an expert curator at a museum, designer, editor, star with a television show, or renowned artist etc.

Her comment to the guy who didn't want to be paying for her clothes said in part - I just want to be able to tell you about stuff that I like without promoting. That's fine, but, it's not a job, except from those who have stardom, years of writing books, are expert makeup artists or have really hustled doing this for years and years in other forms etc. If it were, there would be tons of people of your level doing it already. There aren't.

Sure some people can transition to that and become stars in their own right. Leandra Medine Cohen for example, had a successful blog, then business, now newsletter. And she got a ton of flack for essentially facilitating racist practices, being a privileged skinny woman. But she works really hard and doesn't whine and takes criticism well and head on. She's also hella rich anyway. I think BB is under the illusion that she's that. And she's so far from it.

I believe she will be getting a reality check soon. I don't think she will want to do Patreon if it doesn't end up being extremely lucrative for her. She's not in this for the good of mankind.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I don't think she will want to do Patreon if it doesn't end up being extremely lucrative for her. She's not in this for the good of mankind.
THIS! She hasn't proved that she can deliver consistent QUALITY content on YT, so why does she think that we will believe she can deliver that on Patreon? Just because you'll get thrown some extra coin? It isn't like she has been regularly posting on YT and is transitioning her business model or whatever, she is just deciding that she will 'do it better' on Patreon.. hmmmm....

Reactions: 11
With Patreon the max she would receive per user is £60 per year. If all 56.2k of her subs did sign up that she would receive about £3.3k. Not very lucrative when that could easily be one brand deal, all filmed and sorted in a week. Why would anyone put more time into something to make less money.

her "reviewing" books is a joke!! for example, simply saying Pachinko is a great family saga and that she loves family sagas, and she "enjoyed it for so many different elements" isn't a review, and it doesn't help in translating how good the book is! Pachinko is an excellent piece of writing that talks about the dislocation that comes with (forced) migration, and a change of identity for the people who were uprooted from their lands. I mean no book can accurately capture the experience of migrants because of varied experiences etc but Pachinko comes close. The author took 30 years to write the book so BB's half-hearted attempts at talking about the book is utterly laughable - "in the era of history in which Japan had ownership over Korea" - it's more like Japan colonised Korea, saying ownership is diluting what happened.

i understand that maybe she doesn't want to give out spoilers but not even mentioning migration or Pachinko parlours or even how the family tries to adjust to their new home through food is severely lacking. It's such a rich book about people, places, and experiences, and ultimately the toll that colonialism and migration can have on a family.

argh sorry!! i'm angry because it's one of my favourite books that she managed to make it sound all twee :mad:
I absolutely loved loved this book. You’ve managed to articulate the nature of it so eloquently.
Sorry I’m going off piste here but can anyone recommend any books of the same ilk.
Struggling to find a good read.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I absolutely loved loved this book. You’ve managed to articulate the nature of it so eloquently.
Sorry I’m going off piste here but can anyone recommend any books of the same ilk.
Struggling to find a good read.
thank you! that's very kind of you to say ☺

I'd suggest Ghana Must Go, which deals with the impact of movement and migration, and war and expulsion. Of course, it's a "family saga" 🤪

• Heart
Reactions: 2