Brittany Bathgate #2 Buying things to fill the gaping hole in her personality

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thank you to @snarkvark for the title suggestion (I’m hoping it was a suggestion it was the only one I could find for a few pages that was a singular line even though it was a while ago, this is my first thread made and I did struggle to find title suggestions so apologies if I’ve messed up)

Other title suggestions I think would be great from other top comment paragraphs/rants

“…. is she boring?” @Boomkack

“that video could have been an email” @jaymie

“not like other influencers” @snarkvark again

Reactions: 8
I am somewhat suspicious that things are not going well with her and Dean but maybe not

Also she is full of tit about why she would do patreon (e.g., for it to be “collaborative”) and being open to criticism. She said it would be so great for her viewers to not have to watch adverts but misses the fact that it would cost viewers money and most would rather skip ads than pay.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
Haha! I cannot believe she said she doesn't feel motivated to make content if she is not paid. Hence, she wants to start Patreon. Also, she is apparently more open to criticism if it's coming from paying viewers. She's really selling herself for money, isn't she?

• Wow
Reactions: 22
Does she still not monetize her YouTube? Surely just do that?!!

Or do like another person I actually follow / and like - start a patreon where you can tip - but all the content it still free/available to others (s/o Leena Norms - mostly books/culture) Honestly this is so stupid.
I think she might stop her YouTube all together in the near future, she canny be fucked.

Reactions: 10
rhe absolute cheek of asking people to subscribe to pay for her to create videos! right after buying a camper van, completely renovating it, not to mention entirely decorating a new rented flat! this woman is unbelievable. work with brands nad get them to sponsor your videos!!!

Reactions: 21
she says it's a hobby but it's not is it? it's work because she directy benefits from vlogging. she keeps saying it's "not her job" but what is? posting photos on instagram? how is that any different? her videos on youtube are just as dull and vacuous. she's an infuencer. instagramming, vlogging - it's all the same thing and part of the same job. if she thinks we don't know that she gets paid to include brands in her vlogs, then she thinks we're idiots. brands will like that she vlogs and it will be a selling point for BB to get brands to work with her. she's also back peddling in regards to "over sharing." I think she deeply regrets sharing her relationship situation. she also realises that she can package certain vlogs as content for subscribers. and no BB you don't have to monetise your hobby just so you can do it more! she's just finding reasons to justify charging people for filming 40 minute BORING AF vlogs.

Reactions: 18
somehow i watched the whole vlog. I was in a mood. i think that her anxiety is just too much for her to be able to be on YouTube, and she thinks that starting a patreon will alleviate all the issues she has with it, rather than just accepting that it isn't the platform for her. Unfortunately you can't put yourself online without receiving some kind of criticism, it is just the nature of the internet, and when the internet is your job, well, i suppose you're going to have to accept that. She wants to have her cake and eat it too. I don't understand why she doesn't monetise YT, but i suspect that will be because she will have to be more accountable and can't use 'not making money' or 'hobby' as an excuse. Also I agree with @snarkvark, this is not a hobby!

Holy God is this woman full of crap. I was cringing from the moment she was saying "it really hasn't been that long". It's been ages in social media world. That's not a crime but shut up already with the excuses. This isn't her job? WHAT? It was, it just wasn't working out as well as she hoped and she can't take the criticism.

How disingenuous while trying so hard to seem genuine (which is worse). She wasn't doing other things - well unless other things are the things that come with being an influencer. Patreon not going to be any better if you can't hack YouTube. She has monetized YouTube. Dude. Does she think we are idiots? Of course she's been mentioning products she receives free, and she has ads and she does paid posts with mejuri, COS and others - it may not be at the level she thinks she is worth.

I feel gaslighted - LOL. Whinge, whinge, whinge, boundaries, boundaries, (boundaries meaning I'm not going to explain b/c it's not truthful I reckon). It so was not "her hobby". I mean maybe several years ago when first starting. She's been doing YouTube for more than a year. She hasn't been updating instagram either. She's been on holiday and probably whining about how people are so mean (and yes, they can be, I empathize somewhat), instead of toughening up and recalibrating.

We do remember the career video.

The defensive, I feel like I have a tail between my legs thing is nauseating. Does she really think people are depending on her content so much that they are going to shell out? Arrogance much?

Unless she's now buying and fixing up property now or something with Dean or buying that flat as an investment and sleeping in it she considers a career? But she wasn't doing that for the last year and a half. No one can make 40 min videos of how they've done nothing all day like she does and have a real job - well not her anyway. In the words of my friend's dad "what a bunch of malarkey". Streuth.

Okay, maybe that's all a little harsh. Wait, no, I don't think so :ROFLMAO:

She doesn't owe us anything, that's not what I mean. It's just all this scraping and whining and being dishonest is so transparent, unnecessary and self serving. Leaves me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

What would have been much better was to say "Hey guys, I'm going to share with you that I've been silent for a reason, sometimes I don't think being on Youtube really fits my personality and I've been struggling with it. I took a little break. I'm going to try other ways of doing my lifestyle work b/c I do think I have something to contribute but I'm not sure quite how at the moment..." You know, closer to what's really going on. People can tell insincerity.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
hi all! long time lurker, first time poster. this comment is so spot on but ms verbose-and-insipid is obviously "irked" at it. and she knows she can monetise her videos but just chooses not to. Patreon is another brick in her "im not like other influencers" wall. 🙃

Attachments

Reactions: 11
also, is there a 'safer space' in social media? as someone who has been running a newsletter for a year and then took a break to help deal with many covid deaths in the family, i haven't come back and announced that i'd like a patreon so people can help pay for my life. I'm hugely in favour of content that is adequately paid for (as a freelancer struggling to make ends meet and who doesn't receive 1000 of pounds worth trousers for free) but I also fully support content without a paywall, i.e. easy accessibility. BB could easily monetise her videos or have a tip jar like kofi that would enable her supporters to pay her as much as they want without her taking away content for others. I'm not trying to pile on but it's ridiculous how entitled some people really are.

and the emoji at the end by BB -- i meannnnnn snarky much? her mean girl is coming through so much

A lot of comments asking her what her actual job is?
To be fair I’m actually quite confused as well.
Like Lizzy always bleeting that she’s super busy. Busy exactly doing what?
what do their email communications consist of ? I’ll have that jumper or trouser please.

I actually don’t get it.
Can some intelligent person enlighten me please x

Reactions: 12
Saying YouTube is not her job is absolute bullshit 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️
So her plan is to create a Patreon in order to create a safer space for her content and to take care of her mental health? She isn’t doing herself a favor though if people end up being disappointed and pissed with the content on Patreon they‘ve paid for... which will then end up in more anxiety on her end.
So why not just add the damn ads on YouTube?! We’re all used to it anyway and it doesn’t have any influence on the actual content of the videos. But yes, it’s below her, bc she’s better than all of the other influencers 🙄🙄🙄
she’s holding back soooo much creativity and amazing video ideas, yeah yeah as if... excuses, excuses

Reactions: 9
Am I the only one that's shocked at how many people in her comments support her patron idea and would be happy to pay for her content? Like... what? It might just be me but I can't imagine paying to see a YouTuber.....

I see the value in paying for content that's informative and educational. But BB doesn't even offer styling advice. She shows off her outfits (which she got for free and was paid to promote on Instagram!!!) and waffles for 40 minutes. There's nothing of value in her content. it would have been better if BB has asked her views "would you prefer ads or a patreon? what content would you like to see if I were to start a patreon?" but she can't handle criticism and thinks she knows better than everyone when it come to content.

BB sees herself as not an influencer or social media content creator. but that's exacty what she is. that's her job. I bet she hates that she's lumped in with all the other fashion influencers because she considers herself better than them all. more stylish, more talented, etc. etc. but she's not. if anything, she's worse. there are so many people offering valuable style/fashion related content for free and who upload regularly, multiple times a week. w hat does BB do? a couple of instagram photos, a few stories, and a vlog once a month if we're lucky. she offers nothing of value to her viewers and yet here she is asking for them to pay for the privilege of that half-arsed content.

girl's gone mad

• Heart
Reactions: 14
She has previously vlogged before lockdown, so I don't know why she's claiming it's only something she's tried since then, and she did that holiday packing video and the how I care for my clothes video maybe a year before lockdown too? Didn't see the need for her to do the latest video tbh and just made me go off her even more. She clearly has made money off YouTube and enjoyed all the perks and freebies it brings and that's clear in the number of high end designer clothes she now wears compared to years ago.

Reactions: 7
Am I the only one that's shocked at how many people in her comments support her patron idea and would be happy to pay for her content? Like... what? It might just be me but I can't imagine paying to see a YouTuber.....
Definitely agree! I like Brittany and enjoy having her content available (as in, I subscribe to her YouTube and Instagram and will watch her videos/interact with her posts if they appeal to me) but I wouldn’t actively seek it out on a platform I don’t use and I certainly wouldn’t pay for it on a subscription basis. I would be very curious to see how many actually subscribe…

I’m also very curious about her ‘job’ - I wonder if she does freelance content creation or social media management for other brands or organisations? It is very common for bloggers to create content for other brands which they aren’t obliged to post on their own social media, as this is more organic and generally cheaper! But if that is the case I would love to hear more about that in the vlogs, as another twentysomething woman who balances hobbies with a career.

Reactions: 2
She already told us what her job is in her recent careers video - working with brands on YouTube and Instagram.

Her backtracking description of YouTube as 'just a hobby' is highly disingenuous obfuscation designed solely to justify charging for content. Not cool, Brittany.

Reactions: 15
I am somewhat suspicious that things are not going well with her and Dean but maybe not
I got this same feeling.

Snarkvark is spot on, she feels above the field of influencing as if she is at a higher level and doesn't need to do the ads or the selling.

She wants to be the expert people consult for completely unbiased accounts - like a masterclass. LOL. She would like to do the bag and coat videos (which were very good I thought) solely. She is uncomfortable selling things (like many). She can, it will just take longer to get money or she may not make as much because it won't be paid for heartily by one brand. Like someone else said, have her cake and eat it too. I also think she feels that the right brands will naturally come to her that she doesn't have to go out and work hard to get them. That's narcissism. And like a narcissist she is both full of herself and fragile at the same time.

I did like her idea for interviewing other people. Why not do that on YouTube? Try it out. Interviewing doesn't come naturally to most folks, see if you are any good? It does seem like just "having a chat" but it rarely is. Having people pay while you try stuff out seems a risk.

I don't think Patreon will have any less problems, just different problems. Possibly paying subscribers will be more sycophantic but they will also be fickle and just drop off if unsatisfied.

If she is creating content for other brands as a job and is always very busy I would think she would be come efficient very fast. But she states it takes her ages and she isn't very good at it b/c she's new at it. I think maybe she just got a few jobs like this and it has overwhelmed her unaccustomed as she is to a full schedule. I doubt she has that much ongoing experience so time will tell if this turns into a career for her. Maybe that would be a good job for her - in.the.future. The problem is, that generally those people remain relevant on social media themselves or tend to have a short shelf life. There is always someone younger and more savvy.

Last edited:
Just to continue what @brerwhabbit is saying: Having paying subscribers also means (but not entirely limited to) that you are beholden to them. BB doesn't owe her paying subs anything but opening up to paid content always comes at a price, and you can't give flimsy excuses like you forgot to charge camera or forgot to vlog when people are paying for the content. Not saying it'll get vicious either but i've done both the subscription model and the tip model and being consistent is a difficult game, especially when you consider something a "hobby" and not paid work.

Reactions: 14