Brittany Bathgate #2 Buying things to fill the gaping hole in her personality

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Girl has a job now šŸ•ŗ
I am pleased that sheā€™s doing something fulfilling and thinking of her future unlike so many influencers who complain about how influencing is real work. But I canā€™t help but feel jealousy when she hasnā€™t worked for years and hasnā€™t had to, then lands a job people dream of. Iā€™m so jealous, Iā€™ve been trying to work in gallery curation for months but itā€™s so nepotistic and impossible without connections. Maybe I need to get off tattle and touch some grass.

Reactions: 20
the fact that she got a job makes me like her again. i'm so ready for the influencer era to be over

Reactions: 17
I am pleased that sheā€™s doing something fulfilling and thinking of her future unlike so many influencers who complain about how influencing is real work. But I canā€™t help but feel jealousy when she hasnā€™t worked for years and hasnā€™t had to, then lands a job people dream of. Iā€™m so jealous, Iā€™ve been trying to work in gallery curation for months but itā€™s so nepotistic and impossible without connections. Maybe I need to get off tattle and touch some grass.
This resonates with me so much! For a brief period Iā€™d thought I would be able to work in arts management in a gallery or museum, but most jobs are filled with people who were able to afford years of unpaid internships and built connections through them. There probably are some exceptions but the industry certainly isnā€™t famous for opportunities to those outside of the privileged group. She has never done any work paid or unpaid for a gallery which makes getting this paid role through connections now a little icky to me.

And for anyone who wondered what BB looks like walking down the streets, her new story shows quite well that unless sheā€™s posing, her clothes are rather ill fitting.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Good for her getting a real job, but boy, if this gal has to go for an interview, she will bore her interviewers to death. But overall good for her.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
But I canā€™t help but feel jealousy when she hasnā€™t worked for years and hasnā€™t had to, then lands a job people dream of. Iā€™m so jealous
when you feel jealous remember that she was handed this job by a friend. she didn't get it because she was head hunted for her talent or skills. her friend owns the gallery and gave her the job.

most jobs are filled with people who were able to afford years of unpaid internships and built connections through them. She has never done any work paid or unpaid for a gallery which makes getting this paid role through connections now a little icky to me.
this is what I've been saying about BB from the start. she has so much privilege and it benefits her in all kinds of ways. you only get handed a job in a gallery like this because you've had opportunities to meet, work, and make friends with people in certain postitions. in the same way loads of people can't afford unpaid internships get cut off from these opportunities. it's all about who you know, not what your skills are.

And for anyone who wondered what BB looks like walking down the streets, her new story shows quite well that unless sheā€™s posing, her clothes are rather ill fitting.
I've always suspected this and the more I see Stories of her walking about in her outfits, the more I realise how ridiculous they look when worn outside of a photoshoot. BB doesn't seem to realise that editorial fashion is not the same as daily style. there's a reason why people don't wear the looks they see on the runway!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
A couple of moons ago, she hinted towards some changes and I always presumed, she meant selling and buying a new house (or just buying another one and renovating). In todays state of affairs, I would bet she took the job to be on someone else's payroll for a while just to prove banks she has a stable income and she can prove 6 months of payslips. Am I cynical?

• Wow
Reactions: 2
A couple of moons ago, she hinted towards some changes and I always presumed, she meant selling and buying a new house (or just buying another one and renovating). In todays state of affairs, I would bet she took the job to be on someone else's payroll for a while just to prove banks she has a stable income and she can prove 6 months of payslips. Am I cynical?
Also better maternity package?

• Wow
Haha I appreciate the cynicism. I thought Britt was being an idealist again. Iā€™m happy for her but also kind of pissed off that she gets to put one foot in influencing and the extra Ā£Ā£Ā£ whilst working like a ā€œnormieā€ for the gallery. Is it fair to say influencing is against your morals but then keep doing it?

Haha I appreciate the cynicism. I thought Britt was being an idealist again. Iā€™m happy for her but also kind of pissed off that she gets to put one foot in influencing and the extra Ā£Ā£Ā£ whilst working like a ā€œnormieā€ for the gallery. Is it fair to say influencing is against your morals but then keep doing it?
Because money > moral, I was thinking the same. If you value your moral so much you would have quit.

Reactions: 7
I have seen a few trend reports on TikTok saying there is going to be a move away from influencers operating solely in the influencing bubble towards people who have a regular job and influence on the side.
So the cynic on me says Brittany has seen the writing on the wall, knows a job in the arts will give legitimacy and authenticity to the influencing she continues to do. And she can be more discerning over the sponcon she takes on. A guaranteed base income in these uncertain times is nothing to sniff at, even it is small compared to influencer earnings.
I think the routine and the focus off herself will do her the world of good, whatever her motivation.

Reactions: 16
I also think she thinks working at a gallery legitimizes her ā€œinterestā€ in fashion and like the wearable art, avant garde-ness of fashion. Even though her style is pretty basic and not super creative, working at a gallery makes her appear more artsy and elevated. She wears Issey Miyake, has a Noguchi lamp, shops at the Row and other obscure brands, she dabbles in photography, attends art exhibitions on the weekend, she wears Tabisā€¦thatā€™s like the Gallerina starter pack.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I recall her saying in a vlog that she takes especially great care over what she wears when visiting a gallery so that the right people know she belongs there. (Probably poorly paraphrased.) She was sheepish saying it. I remember at the time finding it quite an insight into her outlook.

Credit where credit is due - I do appreciate what she said about the world not needing another influencer book/podcast/product/brand. No doubt itā€™s all been carefully evaluated (eg launching product/brands is huge risk and high exposure) but it was nevertheless good to hear an influencer say it.

Credit where credit is due - I do appreciate what she said about the world not needing another influencer book/podcast/product/brand.
I didnā€™t like that she specified the aforementioned as those are all examples her ā€˜matesā€™ are doing. Itā€™s an unnecessary attempt at again elevating herself above the people she used to be so (fake)friendly with. She couldā€™ve easily left those out. Also, remember, sheā€™s not really leaving the influencer world, she will continue to enjoy many of its benefits, sheā€™s just entertaining herself with the privilege of being handed a job that feeds her ego way better than any influencing contract.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I didnā€™t like that she specified the aforementioned as those are all examples her ā€˜matesā€™ are doing. Itā€™s an unnecessary attempt at again elevating herself above the people she used to be so (fake)friendly with. She couldā€™ve easily left those out. Also, remember, sheā€™s not really leaving the influencer world, she will continue to enjoy many of its benefits, sheā€™s just entertaining herself with the privilege of being handed a job that feeds her ego way better than any influencing contract.
Right?! She is so ready to throw all her mates under the bus just to elevate herself like you said. Didnā€™t she just came back from NY and hang out with her influencers pals that never had a real job before? If I am her pals, I will be fuming because one second she is pretending to be my mate and the next second, she is throwing me under the bus implying I have no morals.

There is one thing that I learnt working in a real job is that loyalty goes far, you never ever throw your colleagues under the bus, no matter what

• Heart
Lizzyā€™s the other influencer I could see wanting to be a Gallerina for the same ā€œIā€™m elevated and work in the cool art worldā€ reasons. With her art history degree and all šŸ™„šŸ™„šŸ™„

Despite my very cynical outlook, I do hope more influencers realize what theyā€™re doing isnā€™t sustainable (both in career longevity and playing a huge role in the degradation of the planet) and find other careers OUTSIDE of just selling more products (cough cough Mirror Water, Raimie, etc.). I doubt many will because influencing is rarely seen as having a marketable skill set and the amount of 9-5 conditioning these people will need to make it in an office/conventional company is a lot. Not to mention, the bad rap the entire industry has gotten in the last few years and bringing to light the privilege and grift.

• Heart
Lizzyā€™s the other influencer I could see wanting to be a Gallerina for the same ā€œIā€™m elevated and work in the cool art worldā€ reasons. With her art history degree and all šŸ™„šŸ™„šŸ™„

Despite my very cynical outlook, I do hope more influencers realize what theyā€™re doing isnā€™t sustainable (both in career longevity and playing a huge role in the degradation of the planet) and find other careers OUTSIDE of just selling more products (cough cough Mirror Water, Raimie, etc.). I doubt many will because influencing is rarely seen as having a marketable skill set and the amount of 9-5 conditioning these people will need to make it in an office/conventional company is a lot. Not to mention, the bad rap the entire industry has gotten in the last few years and bringing to light the privilege and grift.
Influencers (the good ones) have lots of transferable marketing skills, photography skills, networking abilities, trend forecasting etc etc.Thereā€™s also contract negotiation, working with variable characters and companies. Loads of skills there.

I completely agree on the 9-5 conditioning! Why you would willingly choose to commit to going to work everyday (even when you donā€™t want to), when you have the freedom to set your own schedule is beyond me.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
ā€˜Vessel for brandsā€™ šŸ™„ it was fine when it suited though.

I see this as a way for BB to legitimise herself as a ā€˜realā€™ creative. Isnā€™t Alexis Foreman a creative director of something?

She has an art degree, her partner is talented. Interested to see how this plays out. Iā€™m glad she seems to feel enthusiastic about the change.

Reactions: 8
BB now may work for a gallery but the only reason she managed to go to Frieze is because a skincare brand invited her, just like previous years. Thatā€™s all we need to know.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
So they have bought a house and will be moving?
Iā€™m so interested to see what kind of property it will be šŸ‘€