Brittany Bathgate #2 Buying things to fill the gaping hole in her personality

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I feel like BB is the prime example of how you can wear absolutely anything and it be considered stylish if you are thin and flat chested... This one is giving Victorian child going up in t'chimneys

Really not vibing with her style lately, it just feels like she woke up and said "How expensive can I make today's outfit". They're beautiful clothes in their own right (I want a Pleats Please piece so badly lol) but something feels so off about about a lot of her fits lately?

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I feel like BB is the prime example of how you can wear absolutely anything and it be considered stylish if you are thin and flat chested... This one is giving Victorian child going up in t'chimneys

Really not vibing with her style lately, it just feels like she woke up and said "How expensive can I make today's outfit". They're beautiful clothes in their own right (I want a Pleats Please piece so badly lol) but something feels so off about about a lot of her fits lately?
100% agree. The pleated shirt with the pleated pants has me questioning a lot of things re: her personal taste levels. That trench coat she wore in the most recent video is particularly vile. Not sure when she raided my granddad's closet... Half expect her to start wearing black rubber overshoes as the weather turns.

Reactions: 9
I loved her £40 vintage coat find, more content like that! I liked the way she was explaining what she was looking for in a coat as those little details are exactly what I look for. The pleated shirt is like £400 or something?? Insane

Reactions: 7
I know this is old news but I was watching one of her old videos and she mentioned depop. Out of curiosity I looked at her account... she's sold 761 items... that's obscene. and i guess a lot of it is things she was gifted? just say no to free stuff. the idea of getting items for free and then selling them is so gross to me.

• Wow
Reactions: 14

I get that vibe too. her outfits look awful in person (as proven many times!), the proportions are completely off for someone as petite as she is. but on camera they look good (sometimes) because she's posed and taken them from a specific angle. all because she's a thin flat chested person.

BB always wants to appear better than other people. ahead of the trends. more expensive clothes. designer homewares. she curates her online persona to within an inch of its life to create this "perfect" model-esque lifestyle. yet she's riddled with anxiety and completely misses the fact that most younger people don't want this perfectionist lifestyle anymore.

you only have to look at tiktok to see what kind of style videos are popular not. and it's not a 30+ year old dressing like she's on a fashion shoot! I think the era of the influencer is dying off and peoplle like BB will need to get proper jobs. maybe that's why she got one at her friend's gallery.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Don't get me started on the effing Moosey Art gallery job. I know so many talented curators / art directors struggling for work because of cuts to the arts sector and jobs being so few, far between and low-paying. I don't deny BB has a decent curatorial eye, but what is her work experience or qualifications beyond snapping a Brancusi or Moore sculpture every couple of months and pretending to read coffee table books about Hockney in charity shops to maintain her Instagram 'aesthetic'. She can barely articulate her thoughts about which beige trousers to buy

you only have to look at tiktok to see what kind of style videos are popular not. and it's not a 30+ year old dressing like she's on a fashion shoot!
I think now the historical staples of BBs style are becoming more 'mainstream' a-la Matilda Djerf e.t.c (oversized blazers and trousers, chunky sandals, trenches and maxi sun-dresses... I could go on) she's trying overly hard to set herself apart with this shift towards more editorial styles and pieces that are totally impractical or even bizarre for the every-day

Last edited:
  • Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Don't get me started on the effing Moosey Art gallery job. I know so many talented curators / art directors struggling for work because of cuts to the arts sector and jobs being so few, far between and low-paying. I don't deny BB has a decent curatorial eye, but what is her work experience or qualifications beyond snapping a Brancusi or Moore sculpture every couple of months and pretending to read coffee table books about Hockney in charity shops to maintain her Instagram 'aesthetic'. She can barely articulate her thoughts about which beige trousers to buy
Moosey doesn’t even seem like a good fit. BB has never shown interest in any of the artists exhibiting with them and doesn’t seem to truly know much about that segment of the art scene. She’s always stuck to more established names never really digging further.

Reactions: 4
She is not a curator for the gallery though. She does their marketing and socials which she can do, I guess (admittedly, anyone can do!)

Reactions: 12
It’s less expensive for the gallery to hire her as a marketing employee than to pay her as an influencer. But they are leveraging her as an influencer all the same. Less financially lucrative for Brittany but it’s good for the CV and good insider knowledge, she also gains legitimacy, industry contacts etc. Not to mention the structure being good for her mental health. Definitely a stepping stone to a bigger prize she will have her eye on.
All in all it’s an interesting quid pro quo arrangement.

Reactions: 16
She is not a curator for the gallery though. She does their marketing and socials which she can do, I guess (admittedly, anyone can do!)
This is true, though my statement was more about the arts and museums sector as a whole. Regardless of whether it's marketing or curating and art direction e.t.c , the jobs are still very hard to find and not lucrative enough to be viable for many people... Marketing jobs for even some of the biggest museums in *London* pay only £18-25k p/a. Fine little side hustle for an influencer with another source of income, but it would be a dream job for a marketeer with a professional (not just aesthetic) interest and expertise in art theory/history.

Also as someone who works in the sector I would argue that not "anyone can do it." The entire arts and culture sector in the U.K. is under-fire right now in many ways, and actually a sensitive topic, and any marketing in that sector needs to be undertaken very carefully by someone who is knowledgeable and informed about it.

Unfortunately, BB's appointment into a gallery job by her friends - even if "just" in marketing - as an established influencer, as well as white upper-middle class person, is actually a perfect example of the major problems in the industry.

Moosey doesn’t even seem like a good fit. BB has never shown interest in any of the artists exhibiting with them and doesn’t seem to truly know much about that segment of the art scene. She’s always stuck to more established names never really digging further.
Even the story she posted when she was at the gallery was just one corner of a painting... The full one probably didn't fit her 'aesthetic'

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
I know Dean has done work with the Gallery and they’re both obviously friends with the owner. I guess it makes sense for them to get Brittany in to go the social media work as she’s already in that industry. It’s not that big a gallery so not sure how much work she is actually doing.

I haven’t really washed her vlogs recently but if they’re getting a new house I’ll be interested in what their house is worth now and also what they’ve bought & what they do to it. Tbh I think the two of them doing renovations is when Brittany is at her most interesting

They are not selling their current house, or at least it's not for sale yet. I have a feeling they will keep it as a rental . I am not sure a lot of people watching her would be very happy about the rental situation though.

They are not selling their current house, or at least it's not for sale yet. I have a feeling they will keep it as a rental . I am not sure a lot of people watching her would be very happy about the rental situation though.

Not sure BB’s personality would make for a great renting experience. I once had a landlord who’d come round and complain about ‘clutter’ (eg stuff they thought shouldn’t be where it was, trying to control how we used the space). I feel like this might be similar if they were to rent out.

Reactions: 5
Sorry but I don't think Brittany's marketing job in a gallery is anything to get your panties in a bunch. She's qualified enough. It's a total overreaction to see this as some kind of a reflection of the whole art industry's state or whatever. She got a job, get over it and stop trying to gate-keep a basic marketing role.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 25
Usually I can somewhat see the appeal in her style, but wtf was this:
Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 1.59.28 pm.png

Edit: Whoever posted earlier saying BB is actively dressing more editorial to differentiate that her usual oversized style is now mainstream was right (tho, let's be real, BB has always been a trend bleep) – she's now accessorising with anal beads.
Screen Shot 2022-11-01 at 2.13.21 pm.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Usually I can somewhat see the appeal in her style, but wtf was this:
View attachment 1695167

Edit: Whoever posted earlier saying BB is actively dressing more editorial to differentiate that her usual oversized style is now mainstream was right (tho, let's be real, BB has always been a trend bleep) – she's now accessorising with anal beads.
View attachment 1695177
I really don’t like saying this but I don’t think she has the face for the kind of outfits she wears. Aside from the shoes in the first photo, I can think of 20 others who would actually look good in the first look.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I really don’t like saying this but I don’t think she has the face for the kind of outfits she wears. Aside from the shoes in the first photo, I can think of 20 others who would actually look good in the first look.
She is the poster child for “clothes wearing the person”. And then it ends up looking schlubby. Like, she looks a kid in a tree costume in some children’s theater performance.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Sorry but I don't think Brittany's marketing job in a gallery is anything to get your panties in a bunch. She's qualified enough. It's a total overreaction to see this as some kind of a reflection of the whole art industry's state or whatever. She got a job, get over it and stop trying to gate-keep a basic marketing role.
nahhh because she only got the job because of who she knows, not what she knows. it's literally the definition of nepotism.
(tho, let's be real, BB has always been a trend bleep)
this is so true. BB loves to think of herself as above trends...... but she literally jumps on all of them and then pretends she doesn't and/or was "ahead of the trend" by lying and say she was into something last year even though she never mentioned it.

Reactions: 11
I have a lot of thoughts about Britt, but at least she's consistent.

Brittany: Wants to paint her nails a nude shade
Also Brittany: Buys 3 nude nail polishes, including Chanel which is quite expensive, that aren't the right shade

Wish I could be spending that kinda money willy nilly

• Haha
  • Wow
Her latest vid was pretty pleasant.

My only question is, do influencers who supposedly read a lot - Lizzy, BB, et al - not have library cards?!?
The books are partly just another excuse for performatively accumulating 'stuff'. They need a physical object to hold in their hand in front of the camera. Without this the actual reading would not be worth it for them.

Reactions: 3