Brittany Bathgate #2 Buying things to fill the gaping hole in her personality

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
View attachment 1009646

the proportions here....I'm baffled. To be fair, probably mostly done by a mango stylist. Eeeekkk.
In her latest she said she wanted to avoid oversized jackets with a long lapel - and yet, in the mango ad...

So, let me teach a class on buying with intention b/c I've failed miserably at doing that, by my own admission, the last 3 years.

A "capsule" wardrobe, which I've never had.

Using items I wouldn't consider wearing.

For a fast fashion brand she not only doesn't shop at but is against her "slow fashion" aspirations.

????

FFS

P.S. I like the swing out of the Cawley jacket but way prefer the dark brown which is more reflective of the natural material. It does look like a nice jacket. She spent her own money almost immediately after seeing it on Leandra Cohen Medine - probably hoping for a collaboration with Cawley too.

PPS: Now we know why the farfetch series she prattled on about "buying with intention" - it was to tie up with this incredible shitshow

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 8
The Mango stuff is horrible. Cheap materials - all the trenches look like they are made from polyester - and not stylish at all. I really don’t get why you would partner with a cheap fast fashion brand apart from the money.

Reactions: 4
Why such heavy makeup as well? I would love to have been a fly on the wall when she was back in the hotel telling Dean about it after

Reactions: 5
I have to say I like the premise of the video, would have been better with a site with variety like far fetch 🤭

I wonder if they allowed her to pick her items and aesthetic or they picked it for her?

It’s not clear to me based on how she’s dressed. It doesn’t really look like her style, is that because Mango don’t really sell her style of clothes or this is their crap interpretation of it? Very confused.

Nice flat though….

I imagine it’s a delicate matter to work with these brands and communicate what you want/like when they are paying you.

Reactions: 3
It's a bit of a blah video, also a stark contrast to her wearing a new coat which cost over £1,000 then trying to shill us a cheap looking high street jacket. I liked the bit about the history of the trench coat though x

Reactions: 9
I almost choked on my Yorkshire pudding when I read that those tabi boots were gifted. Now I want to fight the air. That is sooo unjust. Let me go and start my influencer career.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I almost choked on my Yorkshire pudding when I read that those tabi boots were gifted. Now I want to fight the air. That is sooo unjust. Let me go and start my influencer career.
I’d rather have the Yorkshire puddings than the boots.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I origninally posted this in the Lindsey/Lizzy thread by mistake - oops

I guess (and I really don't know for sure) most fashion influencers are faced with a choice unless they have another form of income
1. Create content entirely for their own for the love of it and have another job or be independently wealthy to support this - until and "if" it becomes self sustaining organically.
2. Get an agent which will give them an income and realize that they have to accept jobs or possibly not get more.

If she had refused to do Mango, or been more adamant about choices, she, this early in her "career" (and that's what it is) may be branded as difficult to work etc. There is quite a bit of pressure on her, I imagine, which Brittany intensifies through her own self doubt/need to please. I feel anxious for her just writing that.

She can't tell the agency that I will only work for high end brands. She does have some choice, I'm sure, she doesn't have to work for someone she doesn't want to, but the ability to say no is limited. A rare person will get lucky. The vast majority of people that can do that are rich anyway (example Sophia Roe - Danish) or already a star for other reasons?

I'm trying to develop some empathy for her here. That said, I hope that as she does more of these she feels more confident to make stronger assertions as to what style outfit works for her/doesn't work with the stylists. I'm very sure there are choices that would represent her aesthetic. Maybe not in this breadth - but the whole point was to select a "capsule" right which is an EDIT.

Mango missed the mark there - they want to see her in every trench coat on the line and the kitchen sink (green heels?!). She doesn't ever wear traditional military style trench coats (i.e. Burberry Icon trench). As she works more this will be easier. So, trying to be kind here, she did a decent job making a square out of a circle.

I predict this sort of promoting of brands will make her miserable, if it continues. I don't think she is cut out for it personally and this is what drives her to copy and feel conflicted and actually present conflicting ideas - what she thinks versus what she is being told to hawk.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
I guess (and I really don't know for sure) most fashion influencers are faced with a choice unless they have another form of income
1. Create content entirely for their own for the love of it and have another job or be independently wealthy to support this - until and "if" it becomes self sustaining organically.
2. Get an agent which will give them an income and realize that they have to accept jobs or possibly not get more.
I completely understand BB's need (scratch that, BB's CHOICE) to undertake this type of work. I totally get that to be a "full-time" influencer, sometimes you have to do jobs that you don't particularly want to do (just like us lay people). I also get that the offer for this collaboration with Mango was probably too good to turn down. It is a business decision, I get that.

What I struggle to understand is that BB is so so so meticulous in her aesthetic, in her content and her 'brand', which is part of her appeal and niche she has carved out. Not once have I ever heard her mention a piece she bought from Mango. Not once. This is where I think she is at risk of alienating her audience. This collab is so off brand for her. If it was a collaboration with Arket for example, or Cos, I'd get that because she shops there. She already has those pieces in her wardrobe. Even if Mango were gifting her pieces before this collab, she wasn't wearing them!

I actually think that she comes across quite well in the video though and will probably open up more opportunities, hopefully more on brand for her!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
I think though this will probably be something Mango will run on their accounts/pages and not something that's going up on her own channel. So it's a bit more like playing the part they want, and won't directly be affecting the niche of her content when you just look at her own YouTube/Instagram.

Reactions: 4
I used to watch an Australian minimalist YouTuber. She was so true to her ethics, transparent, bought everything herself. The channel grew. Eighteen months later, her description box is full of 10% off discount codes.

Everyone sells out eventually, because everyone has a price. Everyone.

Reactions: 11
I think the fault lies with Mango for their choice of influencer for this campaign. If they'd have signed up someone known for actually having a capsule wardrobe then it might have been a bit more believable/profitable for them? The whole thing comes over as phony and therefore I can't see people buying into it, even Brittany herself doesn't look that convinced. I could be wrong! There are lots of other influencers out there that they could have gone with who'd have done as good a job as Brittany... I don't understand their thinking behind choosing her

At her best, BB is the most stylish fashion influencer I follow on Instagram. She also has the perfect figure and hair to make most things look really good. But Mango is actually horrible - most of the clothes in there are just not nice at all.

Reactions: 5
the whole thing is fake, from the clothes BB would never wear to the "capsule wardrobe" that never existed. not only has she never worn a single piece of mango clothing (at least not that I recall?) she has never had a capsule wardrobe or ever spoken about striving for one?