British foods

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We have some friends coming over from America next month and I'd love to make them a small 'british food hamper' any ideas what can go in? I struggle to think what we have that they wouldn't 🙈

Cadbury's, Branston pickle, piccalilli, Marmite, Jaffa Cakes, Vimto. What are their tastes? There's a lot of stuff we can't get here without importing.

Personally, I'd probably just buy some own brand goods from Waitrose or M&S.

Reactions: 3
Cadbury's, Branston pickle, piccalilli, Marmite, Jaffa Cakes, Vimto. What are their tastes? There's a lot of stuff we can't get here without importing.

Personally, I'd probably just buy some own brand goods from Waitrose or M&S.
I don't think they like a whole lot of sweet stuff. We've sent him picked onion crisps before which he loved.

Reactions: 2
Any weird (well, weird to here) flavoured crisps are good. Flavours here are pretty conservative.

Reactions: 1
Tetley teabags. The teabags over there are rank

Reactions: 3
hp sauce, prawn cocktail crisps, yorkshire puddings, hobnobs, ribena, branston pickle are all things i never heard of before coming to the uk

Baked beans - Americans think they are weird!
Yorkshire Tea
Marmite
Marmalade
English bacon
Cadbury chocolate (US choc not the same)
Bottle of English wine/gin
Proper sausages

Baked beans - Americans think they are weird!
Yorkshire Tea
Marmite
Marmalade
English bacon
Cadbury chocolate (US choc not the same)
Bottle of English wine/gin
Proper sausages
I remember watching a programme once and this American man saw baked beans (he was visiting the uk) and he always thought they were prison food 😂 I love baked beans

McVities biscuits. Cadbury chocolate. Baked beans?
A KETTLE :LOL: since apparently many households don't have them for boiling water for tea and microwave it??

Americans have baked beans. They are often served at cookouts, but usually have some sort of pork product in them. You can also get many different canned versions there. Boston Baked Beans is a classic dish. They don’t eat them like we do though, like on toast or on baked potatoes.

We have some friends coming over from America next month and I'd love to make them a small 'british food hamper' any ideas what can go in? I struggle to think what we have that they wouldn't 🙈
Coming to live?

Nice butter. Good bread, from a local bakery. Local organic eggs. Cheese, inc. regional ones and Stilton. Good chutney. Pickled onions. Good granola made in the UK. Nice crackers for cheese. Do you have local specialties where you live?

Reactions: 4
A good sausage roll! Custard creams, Cornish pasty, scones with clotted cream and jam are all good shouts

Americans have baked beans. They are often served at cookouts, but usually have some sort of pork product in them. You can also get many different canned versions there. Boston Baked Beans is a classic dish. They don’t eat them like we do though, like on toast or on baked potatoes.

Coming to live?
No sadly just for a week for my birthday. Ive been looking at crisps today, think I'm gonna get some prawn cocktail and picked onion ones for them and some marmite. So many other good suggestions too.

Tunnock’s caramel wafers 🤤
My mum has said these too!

There's a brand called great british crisp company which has a lot of weird flavours - fish and chips, english breakfast, cornish pasty etc.
Wine gums.
Crackers + cheese.
Tunnock's milk chocolate tea cakes.
Mr Kipling's victoria slices.
Maybe some local jam or marmalade?