Breast clinic referral

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I have health anxiety... more so with my kids but that’s a whole other issue.
I had a sore breast a few weeks ago, sort of on and off for a few weeks, I thought it was turning into mastitis as it felt similar but about a week after it started I found a lump. Obviously instantly I started to think I’m dying and that’s it but the rational side of me knew it was likely nothing, maybe mastitis presenting differently. I thought it would just pass but fast forward to now and I still have the lump and occasional soreness.

I finally got the courage to go to the doctor this morning, thinking it would be brushed off as I overthink everything but she was actually concerned when she felt it and is referring me to the breast clinic so now I can’t stop thinking that for once maybe my anxieties are right and there is a chance it’s something more serious.
Has anyone been referred? How long did it take? GP said it should be fairly quick but google says it could take a while.

Hi, I work in a breast clinic so can answer most things.

You should been seen at breast clinic within 2 weeks of referral if you're in the UK. Don't panic, this is just NHS government targets so everyone gets seen this quick.

GPs refer pretty much everyone to a breast clinic, a lot of people don't actually need to be seen by us but the GPs have to cover their own backs and are very over cautious.

You've done so well to go to the GP with your anxiety, it's much better to deal with it now rather than leave it and ignore it.
At this stage a lump could be so many different things but it's really good to get it checked out.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So I have health anxiety... more so with my kids but that’s a whole other issue.
I had a sore breast a few weeks ago, sort of on and off for a few weeks, I thought it was turning into mastitis as it felt similar but about a week after it started I found a lump. Obviously instantly I started to think I’m dying and that’s it but the rational side of me knew it was likely nothing, maybe mastitis presenting differently. I thought it would just pass but fast forward to now and I still have the lump and occasional soreness.

I finally got the courage to go to the doctor this morning, thinking it would be brushed off as I overthink everything but she was actually concerned when she felt it and is referring me to the breast clinic so now I can’t stop thinking that for once maybe my anxieties are right and there is a chance it’s something more serious.
Has anyone been referred? How long did it take? GP said it should be fairly quick but google says it could take a while.
All the anxiety will be worth it because whether it's something or not, at least you've gone and done the best thing for your health. A lot of people wait which would be a worse thing for your anxiety I think.

My grandma got an appointment at the breast clinic very quickly when she disclosed about having a lump in her breast. She had to wait about 2 and a half weeks but there were other complications as she had just been in hospital for pneumonia at the time so she had to wait slightly longer so she could actually be fit enough to get there. They were very good with her and her results came in quickly, all things considered.

I was seen within two weeks for a lump. I was so scared but my GP said it’s always important to be referred.

I went last year and got the results the same day. I had an examination and then got into a hospital gown and waited in a room with the other women who were being seen too. I had an ultrasound and mine turned out to be a cyst which they drained right there and then.

I’ve actually been twice. Once at 22 and again at 28.

I’ve been loads of times (naturally lumpy boobs are a bloody pain!) each time I’ve had an appointment within 2 weeks (so don’t panic about the small time frame like I did it’s normal!) I went to the clinic and half the time I’ve had an ultrasound and was told the results there and then, the other times they had a feel and could tell it was breast tissue.

I’ve had health anxiety and it’s awful, telling you not to worry is not going to help but hopefully reading this will help a bit xx

Reactions: 2
You will probably have an appointment at the Breast Clinic within 2 weeks. You will probably be examined and have an ultrasound or mammogram depending on what they want to do. You will usually get the results of this on the day and be told what they think is wrong and arrangements made for further investigation etc
You’ve done the right thing so just take it as it comes and try not to worry about things that are out of your control.
All the best

I’ve been loads of times (naturally lumpy boobs are a bloody pain!) each time I’ve had an appointment within 2 weeks (so don’t panic about the small time frame like I did it’s normal!) I went to the clinic and half the time I’ve had an ultrasound and was told the results there and then, the other times they had a feel and could tell it was breast tissue.

I’ve had health anxiety and it’s awful, telling you not to worry is not going to help but hopefully reading this will help a bit xx
I'm in the same boat :cry: Suffer with HA and on top of that have lumpy boobs which is not great for the HA.

I probably end up at the breast clinic twice a year and luckily it has always been cysts. So I try to stay calm....does not always work

Thank you all so much these comments have calmed me a little! My health anxiety is bad but the C word is a huge trigger for me so obviously it's been causing me a lot of worry.

I'm glad to hear it shouldn't be too long, I don't want to be waiting and thinking on it for ages and convincing myself it's something really bad (which I probably will everyone but at least it won't be a long time!) It definitely took me a lot to bring it up with the GP, I'd been putting it off for weeks but I'm glad I finally got the courage to do it and I can know for sure x

Reactions: 1
Just found this thread, how did you get on and did anything come of this? Hope you are well.

I have HA too and have had a pain in my armpit for a few years on and off and the last two weeks had persistent pain in my breast. I’m going to book in for a GP appointment but just so worried 😥

Just found this thread, how did you get on and did anything come of this? Hope you are well.

I have HA too and have had a pain in my armpit for a few years on and off and the last two weeks had persistent pain in my breast. I’m going to book in for a GP appointment but just so worried 😥
Yes, I hope the OP is ok and it was nothing to worry about.
I have HA and had a sore breast, after a couple of weeks of worry I went to the Dr who examined me and said it was mastalgia which is harmless and will go away on its own. It did a couple of weeks later. She also said that Breast cancer is rarely painful but it's always best to get checked out, for peace of mind more than anything usually!x

Yes, I hope the OP is ok and it was nothing to worry about.
I have HA and had a sore breast, after a couple of weeks of worry I went to the Dr who examined me and said it was mastalgia which is harmless and will go away on its own. It did a couple of weeks later. She also said that Breast cancer is rarely painful but it's always best to get checked out, for peace of mind more than anything usually!x
So glad you’re doing okay and it was nothing!

I phoned the GP who said come in straight away. Just got out and she found a lump so two week referral for the hospital it is 😥

• Heart
I went in February. It was an urgent referral so it took less than two weeks.
Examination, ultrasound and I ended up having a cyst drained there and then.

Reactions: 2

I phoned the GP who said come in straight away. Just got out and she found a lump so two week referral for the hospital it is 😥
Try not to worry, I know it’s hard but wait for your appointment and then you will know what’s what - it’s more likely to be nothing sinister but if it is something then finding out sooner is absolutely the best thing 🙏

Everything crossed that it's nothing lovely. We're here if you need to chat xx