Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Mustard

VIP Member
I don’t think there are any definitive rules about these but am having problems with these and the neighbours. We ‘share’ fences and hedges on both sides. They were all there before I bought the house except one neighbour has recently put a new fence up at the bottom of my/their garden. There is also a hedge on same side which they don’t do any work on and expect me to take care of. The hedge is in between two fences including the one they recently put up. So at top of garden closest to the houses it is a fence then moving down it’s the hedge then at the bottom is the new fence they put up. I don’t think that’s reasonable for only me to deal with the hedge. They are renting, moved in after I bought, and they let their garden go beserk for quite a few years but now are taking an interest in it. However they don’t think they should have to deal with the hedge for some reason. The main tenant (partner moved in) is not a reasonable person and I’ve had problems in the past with them. Any tips?

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
If the hedge turns out to be on your land then cut the fucker down and get a big fence put up. If it turns out to be on their land - fine. I’d still then have a massive fence put up on your side so between you and the hedge. 👍

Mustard

VIP Member
The right hand side thing is a bit of a myth, it completely depends on the title but a lot of people plead it when something happens and they don’t want to fix it! Perhaps agreeing so split costs is a way forward and keeps everyone happy but ultimately there isn’t a huge amount you can do to enforce it if people don’t want to take care of their own fence panels. I hope calmly talking and maybe presenting it as you being happy to do all of the work / sourcing quotes etc might get them to agree to do or split work that is needed. Good luck!
Thanks. They have already put up a new fence panel there so seem to have taken ownership of that side yet want me to solely deal with the hedge.

If the hedge turns out to be on your land then cut the fucker down and get a big fence put up. If it turns out to be on their land - fine. I’d still then have a massive fence put up on your side so between you and the hedge. 👍
I don’t think I can tell whose side the hedge is on. But if I could afford to right now I would gave it taken out and replaced but it’s not in my budget now. But the fact is that they put up a bigger fence at the bottom without telling me they were going to do so. It was previously a low wood and chain link one, perhaps a metre high - it looked like one from mid century, the type I’ve seen in lots of old photographs.

Last edited:

Mustard

VIP Member
Your lease / red outline plan will show which boundaries are legally yours.
I’ve contacted my mortgage company for a copy of the plan. Various people have said to me it’s always the right hand side that each person takes care of. I had a problem many years ago at a different property where a boundary fence came down, on left hand side and and those neighbours(also tenants) didn’t care and it meant their children were constantly in my garden. It was impossible to prove whose responsibility it was. I eventually put up a new fence.

SavvyBee

VIP Member
I’ve contacted my mortgage company for a copy of the plan. Various people have said to me it’s always the right hand side that each person takes care of. I had a problem many years ago at a different property where a boundary fence came down, on left hand side and and those neighbours(also tenants) didn’t care and it meant their children were constantly in my garden. It was impossible to prove whose responsibility it was. I eventually put up a new fence.
The right hand side thing is a bit of a myth, it completely depends on the title but a lot of people plead it when something happens and they don’t want to fix it! Perhaps agreeing so split costs is a way forward and keeps everyone happy but ultimately there isn’t a huge amount you can do to enforce it if people don’t want to take care of their own fence panels. I hope calmly talking and maybe presenting it as you being happy to do all of the work / sourcing quotes etc might get them to agree to do or split work that is needed. Good luck!