Booktubers

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love Lauren but I want to scream every time she does a video with David. Constantly interrupting him and shouting over him.

Reactions: 4
I've had to stop watching most of Lauren's videos, couldn't stand the screeching any more. Isn't she mid-20s? She doesn't act like it IMO.

My current gripe is Simon Savidge's weird habit of berating people for answering his questions on social media. He wants engagement (for the £££s, obviously) but only if you word it in a way he likes. I feel for the people who are pulled up for not saying something right. I mean, he doesn't name them, but they must recognise themselves. I just find him quite pompous at the moment.

Reactions: 3
I have watched her for years and years and I really like her as a person but I’m finding her so so repetitive. If she talks about a book, she’ll say the exact same thing about it every time. I enjoy her vlog type videos though.
Yes I'm the same! I don't think she does all of the Currently Reading/Favourites/Catch-Up videos that were basically the same thing any more but I just unsubscribed and now I will search her every so often to watch wrap-ups or Cosy Reading Night vlogs etc. She seems like honestly a nice person but she is A LOT.

My current gripe is Simon Savidge's weird habit of berating people for answering his questions on social media. He wants engagement (for the £££s, obviously) but only if you word it in a way he likes. I feel for the people who are pulled up for not saying something right. I mean, he doesn't name them, but they must recognise themselves. I just find him quite pompous at the moment.
Simon is another one I had to unsubscribe from 😂 All of his little annoyances I just feel like, stop mentioning it? At one point it felt like he opened every video with a telling off and it was just so unnecessary.

I've had to stop watching most of Lauren's videos, couldn't stand the screeching any more. Isn't she mid-20s? She doesn't act like it IMO.
She’s 33 I think!

Yes I'm the same! I don't think she does all of the Currently Reading/Favourites/Catch-Up videos that were basically the same thing any more but I just unsubscribed and now I will search her every so often to watch wrap-ups or Cosy Reading Night vlogs etc. She seems like honestly a nice person but she is A LOT.
Yes those three videos every single month made her content so repetitive it was driving me mad.

Reactions: 1
I really do like LATB, buut I do usually mute the first 2 seconds of her videos to avoid the yelled “hello!” ... the energy is just a bit loud/overwhelming sometimes if I’m not in the right frame of mind for it.

Reactions: 2

I think she's 34 which I always have to remind myself of! I think of her as being early 20s. Agree with you about Simon. I found him very smug over the Sky Arts show (great for him, but he was only on screen for about 3 minutes per show!).

Simon is another one I had to unsubscribe from 😂 All of his little annoyances I just feel like, stop mentioning it? At one point it felt like he opened every video with a telling off and it was just so unnecessary.
Oh that’s interesting. I unsubbed a while ago because while he seems lovely, our book tastes are a bit too different. Can anybody remember an example of him doing this? Would be curious to hear

I think she's 34 which I always have to remind myself of! I think of her as being early 20s. Agree with you about Simon. I found him very smug over the Sky Arts show (great for him, but he was only on screen for about 3 minutes per show!).
Wow, I thought she was quite a lot younger!
She talks so fast and loud I always wondered whether it was a nervous thing.

I watched about half of one of the Sky Arts shows and he was just sat in the background looking like a spare part.
I found the BBC2 book show (Between the Covers?) better overall.

Anybody else feel as if booktubers are posting less videos recently?

Anyone know what Lauren and the Books does for a living? She keeps talking about her job but never heard her say what she does.

I don’t follow Sasha so wasn’t aware of any of this. I find this and the stuff around Ariel and reading rush earlier in the year really interesting. Is it just a trend of the old guard of booktubers getting too detached and out of touch?

I don’t follow Sasha so wasn’t aware of any of this. I find this and the stuff around Ariel and reading rush earlier in the year really interesting. Is it just a trend of the old guard of booktubers getting too detached and out of touch?
I think, in my opinion, I've found a majority of the older/bigger BookTubers with the exception of a rare few are incredibly out of touch - hardly do videos anymore, if at all. I find the Sasha thing interesting because while she was definitely exploiting people with the price she was selling books on Depop, I find the signature thing odd as who would be stupid enough to leave the trace underneath?

I think I have just been enjoying smaller BookTubers a lot more lately as they seem to actually enjoy making content a lot more and are doing it for the fun of it rather than out of expectation or ad sense.

Some Vlogmas BookTubers I've been enjoying if anyone is looking for recs:
- Always Doing
- Melted Books
- Coynie Reads
- Jenni King
- Lauren Wade
- Little Devon Nook
- Perfect Paperbacks

General recs:
- Mary Among Stories
- GK Reads
- Tiny Book Dragon
- Leanne Rose

I could go on and on 😂

I don’t watch Simon Savidge that much but when I do I find him quite hard to watch because his audio doesn’t seem to quite match with the video. I always feel like his lips are slightly off with what he’s saying? It makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason.

I don’t watch Simon Savidge that much but when I do I find him quite hard to watch because his audio doesn’t seem to quite match with the video. I always feel like his lips are slightly off with what he’s saying? It makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason.
Yes, the image is often in front of the audio

I have been on a bit of a book tube binge today and Jesus the amount these people mention their wishlist but in the same breath say no need to get me anything or your views are enough etc. THEN DON’T POST THE LIST.

Your viewers are mostly young stop scrounging off of them. Honestly they can play it anyway they want to me it is just plain greedy.

Reactions: 8
I first came across Simon through the podcast he did with an American book reviewer. I really enjoyed that, and I think I prefer it to his videos somehow? Even though he's as eloquent about books in both mediums. Maybe it is the slight out of sync stuff that makes the videos not my fave?

I have been on a bit of a book tube binge today and Jesus the amount these people mention their wishlist but in the same breath say no need to get me anything or your views are enough etc. THEN DON’T POST THE LIST.

Your viewers are mostly young stop scrounging off of them. Honestly they can play it anyway they want to me it is just plain greedy.
lol speaking of, Jean (Bookish Thoughts) yet again posted an instagram story mentioning her wishlist, there’s no question box to answer her actual question and story replies aren’t on, but there is a swipe up link included. How subtle.

Attachments

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 6
All the backlash on Gavin for his worst of the year list is so awful. He’s such an advocate for children’s books and boosts books so much. He posts a few of his least fave of the year as everyone does and he’s gotten so much tit from authors who are nothing to do with it. Apparently it’s been ‘a tough year for writers’. Yeah it’s been a tough year for everyone that’s got nothing to do with it. Negative reviews are important and booktube is for readers. People really showing their asses over this.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.