Books! What are you reading, recommendations & reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can’t remember whether I’ve said in here - I really didn’t “get” Normal People. The way mental health was dealt with was great but:
- I really don’t like a lack of appropriate punctuation in books. Lack of speech indications really bother me because I think it’s difficult to keep up with it. It works with something like Handmaid’s Tale as there’s so little speech it’s mostly a stream of consciousness, but I really disliked it in NP.
- the ending. I turned the page and the book was finished. And for some reason it really bothered me.
So normal people was a bit overhyped for my liking 😣
The lack of speech marks bothered me so much. I said to my mum when I was half way through that it was winding me up and she was just like oh I didn’t notice when I read it, but I just found it annoying!

Definitely agree about the ending. Didn’t like the end in the TV series, hated it even more in the book.

The book just lacked a lot of depth in the relationship of all the characters. I think it’s the first time I’ve ever preferred a tv show/film over the book version😬

Reactions: 4
Big fan of Mike Gayle for almost 20 years
Oh, so do I. Whizzed through ‘Have a world away’ (he was on Radio 2 when it came out and he said he got the tittle wrong - he was naming it after the Oasis song which is actually Half THE world away.)

Right after that book, I launched straight into Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams.
I’m ashamed of how little I read during lockdown. This underlying anxiety made reading anything other than forum posts and headlines impossible. Hopefully things will ‘get back to normal’ for my reading life.

Reactions: 2
Has anyone read either of Harriet Lane’s books?
Yes, I have and enjoyed the enormously but the ending in the second one, eh?

I hate books that hang, I always see the book as incomplete.

Reactions: 1
I’ve just finished the Red Rising books, I have mixed feelings about them. Any other sci-fi/fantasy fans?

I have just finished the night walker by Sebastian Fitzek

It is translated from German but very well translated. A brilliant read for anyone who likes a thriller

I’m reading The Midnight Library by Matt Haig, really loving it. Very life affirming book, great for these gloomy times we are living in!

Reactions: 3
Recently read The Seven Husbads of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid and it’s the best book I’ve read all year. I sobbed.

Also read Carrie which was my first Stephen King - really enjoyed and probs going to read a bit more of his work.

Have just finished The Chain by Adrian Mcginty. It was okay, will make a good movie- any one else read it? I found the characters so cliched.

I've got Ruth Jones second book Us Three on order and cant wait for it to arrive, I loved her first book Never Greener

I’m always reading at least two books, one on the kindle and always a real book.
I’ve just finished a book by Sally Rooney called Normal People.
She’s an Irish novelist and this is her second book. It is set mainly in Dublin and revolves around the relationship and lives of a young couple. It’s funny but sometimes dark.
It wasn’t one of those books that I couldn’t put down but I did look forward to getting a quiet hour with it before bed.
It was made into a series here in Ireland I think bbc had it too

LJ Ross books, I’m on book 16 of the DCI Ryan series. Love ‘murder mysteries’ but these are based in Northumberland where I spend a large amount of my life, so learning about new places too

Recently read The Seven Husbads of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid and it’s the best book I’ve read all year. I sobbed.

Also read Carrie which was my first Stephen King - really enjoyed and probs going to read a bit more of his work.

Have just finished The Chain by Adrian Mcginty. It was okay, will make a good movie- any one else read it? I found the characters so cliched.
Taylor has become one of my fave authors this year! I highly recommend all her books, they are so captivating.

About 6 chapters into Where the Crawdads Sing. Not 100% on if so far but I’ve heard amazing things. My mum said it took her a while to get into and then she loved it so I’ll keep going with it.

Finished Eleanor Oliphant last week. Book of the year for me (although think it was released a couple of years ago!). Absolutely loved it.

About 6 chapters into Where the Crawdads Sing. Not 100% on if so far but I’ve heard amazing things. My mum said it took her a while to get into and then she loved it so I’ll keep going with it.

Finished Eleanor Oliphant last week. Book of the year for me (although think it was released a couple of years ago!). Absolutely loved it.
Crawdads - I'm about to start that tomorrow. Just joined a book club and that's our first read. I struggle with slow starters but I'll need to persevere.

I loved the seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo! I didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.