Books #7 reading chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I read David Nicholls' 'One Day' while I was a student at Edinburgh University. I found a copy in a bookshop here in France last week and bought it to read again. Watched the film tonight; I hate Anne Hathaway's accent but it had me sobbing! Going to re-read the book now!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I read David Nicholls' 'One Day' while I was a student at Edinburgh University. I found a copy in a bookshop here in France last week and bought it to read again. Watched the film tonight; I hate Anne Hathaway's accent but it had me sobbing! Going to re-read the book now!
God, I loved that book. And the film (agree about the accent!) - I sob every time without the fail. I remember sobbing for a good few chapters when I read it. Beautiful

I’ve just finished The Love Hypothesis, loved it! Thanks to who it was that recommended it!
Starting Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets next, I want to read all the Harry Potter books but I’m splitting them up with another book in between
I think this might have been me! 😄 so glad you liked it! I absolutely loved it. I’m reading the new Sophie Cousen’s new book and then i’m going to read the Spanish Love Deception (? i think that’s what it’s called) next as that’s meant to be similar to the Love Hypothesis

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I've read 6 books so far this month and not one was a 5* rating. About to start The Woman in our House and I'm hoping it's a good one.

Reactions: 1
I remembered earlier that I needed to cancel my free trial of Kindle Unlimited so I cancelled it and then realised my current book (The Room by Hannah Adkins) was from KU so I’ll lose access to it tomorrow and it’s currently £5 or £6.99 to buy. I’m now frantically trying to finish before I lose access. I know I could just buy the kindle book and then return it (like I do with almost all my kindle purchases…ssssh!) but the challenge is set and I’m on it!
For future reference you can just put your kindle in airplane mode until you finish the book, then turn it off when you're finished. I do it whenever I get a deal on KU as I don't read enough to justify paying full price for it each month. I generally keep my kindle in airplane mode anyway to save on battery. My Oasis doesn't last as long as my 2015 Paperwhite.

Reactions: 4
I think this might have been me! 😄 so glad you liked it! I absolutely loved it. I’m reading the new Sophie Cousen’s new book and then i’m going to read the Spanish Love Deception (? i think that’s what it’s called) next as that’s meant to be similar to the Love Hypothesis
Oh I’ve just had a look and added Sophie Cousens two books and the Spanish love deception to my list, they sound right up my street, thank you!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Oh I’ve just had a look and added Sophie Cousens two books and the Spanish love deception to my list, they sound right up my street, thank you!
Ahah! I can’t count for the Spanish Love Deception and whether it’s good or not but we’ll have to share what we think! Sophie Cousen’s first book This Time Next Year is a wonderful read, read that one first 🤗 I’m about 30% through Just Haven’t Met You Yet but I’m enjoying it, seen people say it’s a slow burner

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Oh my gosh I loved this book too! and the movie made me sob as well.
I'd welcome some Kindle recommendations for my upcoming holiday please!

I like murder mystery, but not a massive fan of the generic Who Dunnit style. I don't mind a bit of Y.A. but not into romance or unrequited love stories. Quite like unusual stories - like Elizabeth is Missing or Kate Atkinson's A God In Ruins. I'm a big fan of fantasy - Terry Pratchett is my favourite author - but I don't have the attention span for big world building books anymore.

So far I've got Song of Achilles, The Guest List and Elinor Olliphant is Completely Fine to take in paperback but need some more as we're going for two weeks and plan to spend most of that time doing nothing but sitting by the pool and reading away!
Hannah Kent (who wrote Burial Rites) has a new book out that might be up your alley? It's called Devotion. I have it on my to buy list!
Have a lovely holiday!

Reactions: 1
For future reference you can just put your kindle in airplane mode until you finish the book, then turn it off when you're finished. I do it whenever I get a deal on KU as I don't read enough to justify paying full price for it each month. I generally keep my kindle in airplane mode anyway to save on battery. My Oasis doesn't last as long as my 2015 Paperwhite.
Thank you for the tip but I use the kindle app on my phone and I don’t think I could cope with airplane mode on that for too long. Definitely worth remembering for if I ever get a kindle. I did however manage to frantically finish my book with 7 minutes to spare!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Thank you for the tip but I use the kindle app on my phone and I don’t think I could cope with airplane mode on that for too long. Definitely worth remembering for if I ever get a kindle. I did however manage to frantically finish my book with 7 minutes to spare!
Well done! I think you deserve a new book as a reward :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Would anyone be interested in bringing the Tattle book club back to life?

My local library only runs a mid week club which I can't attend as I work 9 til 5. Maybe an online one would be better, anyway?.

I imagine it would start with a poll of some easily accessible books, for us to decide. We could create a new thread for each book, and discuss without deadlines. You could dip in and out as you please, all within the comfort of your home! 🥳

Thoughts? I see the last Tattle book club attempt didn't last long, but it's been almost a year since it stopped!

• Heart
Reactions: 18

My local library only runs a mid week club which I can't attend as I work 9 til 5. Maybe an online one would be better, anyway?.

I imagine it would start with a poll of some easily accessible books, for us to decide. We could create a new thread for each book, and discuss without deadlines. You could dip in and out as you please, all within the comfort of your home! 🥳

Thoughts? I see the last Tattle book club attempt didn't last long, but it's been almost a year since it stopped!
I think it could work well now we’ve built up this little group - we’ve got a good idea of the types of books that’s are enjoyed my the majority so nominating books could be easier I suppose.
I’m up for trying it anyways!

Well done! I think you deserve a new book as a reward :LOL:
Haha, I treat myself to Never Let Me Go a while ago and never got round to reading it so that’s what I’ve gone for now. I paid more than I normally would for an e-book if I remember rightly so I’m considering it my treat!

• Heart

I'm game

I’d give it a go.

I can only join the book club if I’ve already got the book as I’m a proper book buying ban 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Ooh I’m interested! Will give me motivation too keep up with reading too

The Spanish love deception is really good too! It is similar to The Love Hypothesis, but I think the Love Hypothesis was better. But that’s just my opinion ☺

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.