Book Club January - Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am completely engrossed in this book. Should finish it this evening. I can't decide which character i like or which side of the fence I sit. This book is going to start some debates I think. 📚

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I am completely engrossed in this book. Should finish it this evening. I can't decide which character i like or which side of the fence I sit. This book is going to start some debates I think. 📚
Ah I'm delighted that the book has gripped you, make sure you're kindle is fully charged now. I just lined up a different book and will start the book club's choice after that. Thanks so much for organising our book @ordinaryjelly.

Reactions: 3
Thanks ordinaryjelly for organising it every month!

I am excited to start this one, I have to finish Ali Smith - Autumn first then I will get cracking.

Reactions: 5
I’m 80% through. I’m hooked BUT

The legal side of things is annoying me. When Elizabeth and Jack talk about bringing a case she says that the Kohlis haven’t done anything criminal so it would need to be a personal injury claim. Later on Ash tells Bry that the CPS have withdrawn a case so theirs is being bumped up the queue. Erm why would the Crown Prosecution Service have any input in when a civil case is heard. I’m a solicitor so I appreciate it might not annoy others so much, but there’s such a huge difference in criminal and civil law it feels a bit lazy when such simple errors are made.

I’m 80% through. I’m hooked BUT

The legal side of things is annoying me. When Elizabeth and Jack talk about bringing a case she says that the Kohlis haven’t done anything criminal so it would need to be a personal injury claim. Later on Ash tells Bry that the CPS have withdrawn a case so theirs is being bumped up the queue. Erm why would the Crown Prosecution Service have any input in when a civil case is heard. I’m a solicitor so I appreciate it might not annoy others so much, but there’s such a huge difference in criminal and civil law it feels a bit lazy when such simple errors are made.
I’m 60% through and I’m really enjoying it too. I’m not going to read your spoiler till I’ve finished.

Reactions: 2
Just finished this and really enjoyed it! Took me a few days to get into it but flew through it once I did!

I'm over 60% in and.....

i loathe Bry and that's from the onset. She comes across as such a weak and unlikeable character. Boring, spoilt and careless. My heart is breaking for Elizabeth because I know whats coming. Also I find the chapters in between the story, about the courtroom, unneccessary and add nothing to the story. I'm getting bored of it now tbh.

I finished the book a few days ago, but took me a while to gather my thoughts.

I would never have picked this book up because the blurb would have satisfied to me, I am not an anti-vaxxer but I am a delayed, picky vacciner and thought a book like this would be pushing a pro vaccine agenda. In fact I thought it very carefully shared a 50/50 pro/anti point of views.

It took me a while to get into this book, it was full of yummy mummies, then suddenly I was completely engrossed. But the more I read the more the yumminess of the characters faded away. I had figured out the twist with Elizabeth early on, that still it was a goodread.

The legal blueb comments above make a lot of sense, I felt like the book wanted to be everything. A legal book, a yummy mummy book all center around a vaccine debate.

I gave it 3.5*

There are some good book club questions at the end. When more people have finished the book perhaps we could answer a few of those.

Reactions: 7
I picked it up from the library yesterday. Today I’ve finished The No Show by Beth O Leary - has anyone read that? I’m excited to start The Herd tonight!

Finished the book earlier and I gave it 4/5 on Goodreads but I’d have probably given it half a mark less if I could on there.

I got into it quite quickly but unlike a post above, I actually didn’t warm too much to Elizabeth’s character. I actually didn’t to Bry’s either really. I think Ash and Jack came across as more likeable.

I agree with some of the narrative that actually, a lot of people wouldn’t even know they had a choice with vaccines early on and there’s definitely a sense of getting them because you think it’s just the thing you do. I don’t think the book did anything to sway the views I have anyway.

The ending got to me, with the girls seeing each other again after a few months. I did tear up a little there!

I finished the book yesterday and am still digesting it because I didn't see the ending at all tbh.

I finished this morning, I’d give it a 3.5 star
I enjoyed it and found it interesting, and as much as it didn’t change my opinions (not that I think it intended to) it was interesting to understand it from a different perspective. I did feel like it was fair and nuanced from both sides, without ignoring that a lot of anti vax rhetoric is unfounded

I can’t relate to middle/upper class mummy drama in the slightest but it’s something I always enjoy reading. I agree with a previous poster about finding the dads likeable and I enjoyed those interactions. I also really enjoy books about friendship so I liked that.

I enjoyed a couple of them but in general I could’ve done without the in between chapters and the twist was quite predictable imo and just didn’t make sense to me, I would’ve thought that a lawyer would check the medical notes and come across that info themselves before a trial. I did like the ending with the two girls seeing each other again.
It’s definitely a good book club pick and the first book I’ve finished in almost a month so that’s a win! Interested to hear more thoughts on it

Just finished 4/5

I really enjoyed the book. I was pleased it was balanced and didn't show either side to be particularly unhinged.

I don't have kids so the vaccine issue isn't really relevant to me, but I found the authors note at the end quite interesting especially about the aluminum levels and that the UK has the most accelerated program. I wonder how many parents know this?

I enjoyed the flash forward chapters as I felt they gave a good hint as to what was to come without giving it away entirely.

I struggled the first 20% or so to remember who was married to who and which kid belonged with which parents. But it picked up after about 50%.

I didn't find any of them particularly likeable! Like others have said I warmed more to the dads. I think everyone knows a man like Ash and Jack, so perhaps that's why they were more relatable.

Would definitely be interested in discussing some of the bookclub questions.

Maybe around the 15th Oct we can use some of the questions as discussion points. Some of them will spoil the book for anyone still reading along and I am not the best at remembering spoilers.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.