Book Club January - Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m about 45% in and I’m enjoying it, except for all the words I need to look up.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I'm struggling with this book. 30% through it. It's encouraging to hear that it does pick up. It has to returned tomorrow to the library. I need it to get exciting fast before it's gone 😆

I've read it and enjoyed it but ultimately gave it 3 stars, which is an alright rating for me. Agree the pace picks up and slows down throughout. It was fine to read but it's not one that will stay with me.

I wasn't a huge fan of the characters, apart from Marx who was lovely. Sam's character was interesting, and found Sadie annoying. The periods where Sam and Sadie argued and didn't speak were for stupid reasons for me. First one is understandable as they were kids. But when Sadie gets annoyed at Sam, she basically relies on thinking he must've seen that the game was given to her by Dov, without proof beyond "Sam always sees everything" and she was pissed off that he put her to work with Dov despite knowing he was her ex. So what?? Even if he knew that he wouldn't have known the details of the relationship or whether it ended badly or not. And even Sadie herself wanted to end things well with Dov because she thought she might need to work with him or need something from him one day. So what is the issue with Sam wanting her to get the game engine from him? So stupid. Guess that's part of the story but just thought it was annoying. Also didn't like the pioneers chapter and in general thought the whole book just went on for way too long.

Reactions: 8
Finished last night, I think I’ll give it 3 stars.

The pace picked up and down constantly. I was confused by the timeline a few times so didn’t feel as though it always flowed well. The characters weren’t that likeable and didn’t grow much, and the amount of times I had to stop reading to get the meaning of a word took me out of the story and tbh just didn’t feel authentic, a lot felt straight out of the thesaurus.

I actually quite enjoyed the gender stuff, I’m not into gaming but can imagine it must be a cesspit for a lot of young women who are. I originally liked the exploration of the student/teacher relationship, but can’t get over the lack of consequence for Dov? I don’t feel like his behaviour was ever actually condemned, and the way he was shown to help Sadie again at the end felt wrong to me (and them joking about him loving college girls and how he still has his job)

I loved the narrative of platonic love being as important as romantic love, and I’m glad Sadie and Sam never became a couple but I wish Sadie and Marx hadn’t either. I’d have preferred the story without the romance.

Overall I think some of the writing was beautiful (loved the coma sections), there were some great depictions of friendship and I did enjoy it, but it didn’t live up to the hype for me

Reactions: 6
@RattleGirl We usually nominate and vote on books the last few days of the month to allow us to buy any 99p kindle deals that might go off the offer on the 1st of the Month.

@ordinaryjelly usually posts to alert us to begin nominating. Got a full week until the 31st but might be an idea for people to start nominating books. One nomination per post to allow people to vote!

Helpful if you also put the full title and author as Amazon links dont work for everyone :)

I shall make a new thread to start it since we are at page 50!

New thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.