Book Club #5 Ashley Audrain - The Push: Mother. Daughter. Angel. Monster?

Vote below

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

Results at 8pm tonight!

---

We have a winner! Thread opens sat 1st may 5pm - hit report if we forget to open it 😬

Click watch above to get updates

Amazon product

Last edited:
Reactions: 16
Thanks so much @Yel 👍🏻

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Loved the style of writing, blunt and to the point with no waffling. It was both terrifying and heartbreaking in parts. As awful as it seems, I loathed the child, the author did a really good job ensuring that on my part. The ending was perfect although abrupt and I did feel a sense of karma for the father.

Reactions: 4
I absolutely loved this and raced through it. It did remind me a little of We need to talk about Kevin. I had trouble bonding with my first child at first, so a lot of the emotions rang true. I felt my self see-sawing back and forth over what was really happening, did The Push really happen....and the ending was both shocking and satisfying...

Reactions: 3
I feel I'm going to be in the minority here but I can't say I loved it. I would rank "We need to talk about Kevin" as one of the best books that I have ever read and some aspects of The Push were so similar to it that I found myself comparing the two as I read. And I think WNTTAK does everything that The Push does but a whole lot better.

At best I would say that I found it fine. It kept me reading. I liked the ending. Other than comparing it to another book (which maybe isnt a fair way to judge a text) I guess I cant fault it. Fine seems like the appropriate word here.

Ooh I think I need to read the Kevin book!

I really enjoyed this book, liked the different style of writing, found it uncomfortable in places but couldn’t put it down. After having a difficult relationship with my mum during childhood it felt quite relatable in places. I enjoyed the ending and thought it was quite a satisfying end to the book.

Reactions: 4
Ooh I think I need to read the Kevin book!

I really enjoyed this book, liked the different style of writing, found it uncomfortable in places but couldn’t put it down. After having a difficult relationship with my mum during childhood it felt quite relatable in places. I enjoyed the ending and thought it was quite a satisfying end to the book.
You really must read Kevin! The author Lionel Shriver is really good, I loved a few of her novels. There was a pretty good film version of it too. Tilda Swinton was the lead.

Reactions: 2
Agree, it was we need to talk about Kevin lite. I enjoyed the book and found it very easy to read though, if you liked it I really would recommend WNTTAK.

Reactions: 2
I really enjoyed the push I found that the author created a really good pace to it and I just wanted to keep reading on (pretty difficult with 2 young kids....they watched a lot of paw patrol that weekend 😂)
We need to talk about Kevin is going on my list to read!

I was a bit disappointed with it, maybe because it has been quite hyped.

I did enjoy it and the ending was alright. But I kept waiting for something more. I was half expecting something to come out that it wasn't the daughter at all.

The author did do a good job of making me dislike the daughter although I didn't like any of the other characters...it was a strange one for me and I think I will read WNTTAK after the recommendations here

Reactions: 1
I’ve not been able to get a copy of The Push yet so haven’t read it. I’m sure I read We Need To Talk About Kevin many years ago and didn’t like it at all. I wonder if I would like it if I read it again. 🤔

I’ve not been able to get a copy of The Push yet so haven’t read it. I’m sure I read We Need To Talk About Kevin many years ago and didn’t like it at all. I wonder if I would like it if I read it again. 🤔
I'm not sure if "enjoy" is the right word for Kevin. I personally found it a very disturbing read and it hit quite close to home, as did The Push - as I struggled to bond with my first baby. I do think i might like to try reading Kevin again with a few years more perspective on it :)

I'm not sure if "enjoy" is the right word for Kevin. I personally found it a very disturbing read and it hit quite close to home, as did The Push - as I struggled to bond with my first baby. I do think i might like to try reading Kevin again with a few years more perspective on it :)
I was quite young when I read it so I wonder if I would see it differently now. I can’t remember much about it so might be one to add to the list 🤔