Book Club #4 American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Next month's book below. Currently £5 on Kindle and paperback, also available as a free trial on audio book. Thread opens to discuss on Saturday 3rd April at 8pm UK time. Click the watch buttons to get updates on this thread.

Amazon product

• Heart
Reactions: 18
A great read! I also read about the controversy surrounding the book and while id agree with the sentiment I still loved it and couldn't put it down.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Not normally the type of book I would go for but I have to say I loved it! I felt like I was going on the journey with them, loved how the characters developed I wanted to keep reading, it had me hooked 😁

Reactions: 3
I really enjoyed the book. I felt it was incredibly well paced, there was always something happening. I do think Lydia was the luckiest person in fiction though, she had so many narrow escapes 😂

I also found Soledad and Rebeca to be very compelling characters.

Reactions: 4
All round I really enjoyed it. It's absolutely not my usual genre but I was hooked from the first page. I found I cared about all of the characters. There did seem to be an incredible amount of tragedy crammed into the very last couple of chapters between lorenzo and rebecca, Soledad and lorenzo, Ricardo's accident and poor Beto 💔 The whole journey was quite the emotional rollercoaster.

If anything the only thing that annoyed me was Lydia's call to Javier when he is like "Nah, I never intended on killing you"

Like - ok! Lydia reacted pretty freaking calm considering everything she went through to just be told so off hand she wasnt in mortal danger.

But overall I really enjoyed it 😊 A brilliant book club book!

Reactions: 5
Not normally the type of book I would go for but I have to say I loved it! I felt like I was going on the journey with them, loved how the characters developed I wanted to keep reading, it had me hooked 😁
This sums it right up for me. Read it over a day and a half couldnt put it down and enjoyed it so much.
I'm glad I didn't realise the hype around the book until after when I said to people I had read an amazing book. Thanks Tattle Book Club for thrle recommendation

• Heart
I loved this book! Again not something I would normally read but I’m so glad I did. It took me a while to finish as I had to keep stopping was having dreams that the cartel were after me (don’t think it helped I was also watching Ozark at the same time)

• Haha
Reactions: 1
It took me the whole time to read, finished yesterday morning as I found it heavy going. I was on edge a lot of the time and needed a break lol. I enjoyed it though and at times, nearer the end, was close to tears. Wish there was a little more with the confrontation with Javier but then again, they had gone through enough. Loved the sisters and Beto 💙

Reactions: 2

Yel

It took me ages to read this one, the other book club ones were easily read in an afternoon. It took me way longer than I'd care to admit to realise el norte wasn't a border town in the states 😆

I'd hoped for a bit more than just the quick video call with Javier and a bit of a twist with the new life rather than playing out exactly as expected. But really liked it.

The Lorenzo reporting to Javier was obvious, but with all that intel wouldn't he have easily caught up with her after the call? Why was he following her but letting her cross the border? Wouldn't be have wanted luka killed asap so they both lost everything?

Didn't know about the controversy before reading this thread, but it was pretty obvious the writer had very little experience on the subject matter. But does that matter? It's a suspenseful book that I was gripped reading even if it took me a while as I didn't want anything else bad to happen.

I'll read the controversy more now, but was it mainly that the writer isn't Mexican and people saying the book was racist?

I loved this book! I got so into it and loved their little group. Poor Beto, the wee soul 💔
Agree there could have been a bit more Javier involvement as he seemed like a very interesting character. I think he did love Lydia as a friend and maybe that’s why he didn’t kill her?? The constant looking over your shoulder would be worse.
The ending was fine but I was expecting a twist or something to happen. I do normally read thrillers so maybe that’s why 😂

I haven’t heard of any controversy about the book, I’ll go and google!

Thanks Tattle Book Club for a great read

Late to the party but just finished this and WOW what an amazing book. Such an incredible journey. I found it to be gripping and immersive and it's a book I won't forget in a while. Really well written and I'm keen to read more by the author.

So late to finishing this one. I enjoyed it but it took me a long time to finish as I needed a break from the bleakness at times.
I enjoyed the characters but like a previous poster has said I think a lot happened with the characters in the final chapters plus the javier confrontation was frustrating.
It wasn’t my usual genre of book but I’d definitely read more by the author.