Book Club #2 Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
😭 Oh no! Honestly I dont know how the kindle pricing works because it still comes up as 87p on mine. I'm not a prime member or anything so dont understand why it would be different. Hopefully it comes up for you x
Very strange why it does that?! I’ll keep checking ☺

I quite enjoyed it but I much preferred Eddie's chapters over Kane's and didn't really feel like Kane's chapters added much to the story for me. When it was revealed that Kane was Summer I didn't know which one of the jurors it was for it to make an impact. I guessed at the point when Eddie asked to see a picture of the campus police officer that it was Holden so wasnt shocked by that revelation but it was a good read and Eddie as a character was interesting I give it a 8/10

Reactions: 6
Hard to add much when others have said it far better 😅

I quite liked the build up but I felt the twists were a bit disappointing, by that point it was obvious who was the inside guy, was hopping for something more interesting than Bobby being gay as a secret and didn't really care that it was another juror.

Probably a problem on my part but I struggled to picture the car scene at the end even after a second read.

Was the movie mentioned about seeing someone's face change a real movie? I'd love to see that scene played out!

Eddie seemed to come out very quickly that the killer was on the jury and blurted it out. Seemed way over the top to arrest him for another dollar bill murder just after he announced to everyone they were closing in on the dollar bill murderer.

I'd read another one in the series though, did like the short chapters with different characters.

3.8/5

Reactions: 5
One thing I thought was a bit odd is that Eddie barely mentioned his daughter. I’ve just read an earlier book in which the daughter is kidnapped and they seem to be incredibly close. But in this book she hardly gets a mention.

Reactions: 1
One thing I thought was a bit odd is that Eddie barely mentioned his daughter. I’ve just read an earlier book in which the daughter is kidnapped and they seem to be incredibly close. But in this book she hardly gets a mention.
True. His family weren’t mentioned as much in this book. I thought it was because the daughter was growing up and doing her own thing with friends, plus the wife has a new man. Eddie is so busy sorting out badasses and almost getting killed daily 😂 I do love his character though

I thought it was an ingenious idea for the plot but felt like it didn't get started until the FBI got involved. A few things jarred with me: his inability to feel pain was hammy, the gay reveal was old fashioned and the fact that Kane was, in fact, a different juror didn't really work as that juror hadn't been mentioned much. I always find fight or action scenes hard to read as I can never work out what's going on.
I find a lot of books are written almost as a movie pitch these days and this was the same.
Great choice for book club!

Reactions: 8
I really enjoyed this book, it's my genre so I got into it from the start. I liked the short chapters and alternating between Eddie and Kane. I don't mind there not being a face to the name sort of thing as I tend to imagine what they look like based on their role/actions, not how characters are described to look, if that makes sense. The only part I didn't really enjoy was the action packed ending, I always end up skimming action scenes as there's too much going on like others have said! Didn't think Holten had it in him tbh, I just pictured him as some musclebound bodyguard who's just there in the background 😂

Reactions: 5
I really enjoyed this book, it's my genre so I got into it from the start. I liked the short chapters and alternating between Eddie and Kane. I don't mind there not being a face to the name sort of thing as I tend to imagine what they look like based on their role/actions, not how characters are described to look, if that makes sense. The only part I didn't really enjoy was the action packed ending, I always end up skimming action scenes as there's too much going on like others have said! Didn't think Holten had it in him tbh, I just pictured him as some musclebound bodyguard who's just there in the background 😂
I completely agree with everything you’ve said, especially about skim reading the ending. It felt like there was far too much going on and my brain couldn’t keep up enough to picture it all.
Really enjoyed the main premise though and thought it was well paced and developed. Would definitely recommend it to others!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I enjoyed this book...I found it a little longer than it perhaps needed to be though? Like others have said above, I skimmed the action-packed ending a bit.

I loved it but I’m so confused about how Kane wasn’t actually Alec and was Summers instead, can someone please explain this to me? Also I really wished the chapters were labelled Kane and Eddie because for about a third of the book I thought it was just one narrative and the serial killer was actually the lawyer 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I really tried with this book (especially as I’m trying to get out of my usual genres of books to help me at work) but I just couldn’t get in to it at all and had to give up. I usually plough on with a book but this was stopping me reading anything so I had to admit defeat. Can’t win them all!

I loved it but I’m so confused about how Kane wasn’t actually Alec and was Summers instead, can someone please explain this to me? Also I really wished the chapters were labelled Kane and Eddie because for about a third of the book I thought it was just one narrative and the serial killer was actually the lawyer 🤣
Ooh me too. I am going to look on reddit and see if anyone explains it lol.

Very late to the party as I started it then didn’t read any for a long time. I enjoyed the concept (as others mentioned) but the actual story was lacking. Also agree it would make a good stand alone tv series.

I too was very confused at the Alec/Summers bit, thought it was just me that remembered something wrong.