Book Club #2 Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

Book #2 for tattle book club!

Thirteen - Steve Cavanagh is the winner with 39%

(hit watch on this thread to get alerts once it's opened)

Shall we open the thread Friday 5th Feb at 6pm similar to last time? Can discuss in general book club thread

The price has gone up since the poll, but audiobook can be got for free with a trial

Amazon product

Not used Hive for ebooks but it's 99p (don't ask how to get it onto kindle - maybe someone can advise on the general thread) https://www.hive.co.uk/Product/Stev...ller-isn-t-on-trial-He-s-on-the-jury/21859098

Paperbook is probably on offer somewhere (hit report if you find a good price so I can update this post)
Amazon product

--

Book #1 thread - https://tattle.life/threads/book-club-1-this-time-next-year.12824/

General Book Club thread has a poll to vote on genres - https://tattle.life/threads/tattle-life-book-club.12713/page-16

Poll results

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Ok SO here's what I thought...

I want to talk about 13 as a book, and 13 as a plot/storyline because for me the 2 need to be critiqued separately, and the reason I am giving this book a 6.5/7 out of 10.

As a plot/storyline I absolutely loved the concept of the Dollar Bill serial killer. The level of detail was intricate and was definitely something I felt you could see on the screen as a film or a TV series, like criminal minds or as its own standalone. I dont know anything about the Author but its clear he is well educated in law, and is incredibly creative.

As a book however I felt the opposite. For me, it didn’t really pick up until 60% of the way in, up until that point I found it slow and pretty non eventful. I found Kane's chapters boring and found myself skim reading. Reading takes a certain level of concentration, an Author has to work twice as hard to get the reader to imagine the story in their head vs on screen. For me, that really lacked as there wasnt a great deal of character depth or character description. There are a lot of charcters in this book, and I dont feel like I really knew or could picture any of them. Take Harry Potter for exmple, there are a LOT of characters but every single one I can picture and connect with in my head, from what they look like, the way they talk, stand, walk. The most descriptive character for me was Art Pryor.

I found parts of it cringey, Kane killing as and when he wanted, and OF COURSE he couldnt feel pain. He struck me as a withdrawn character, angry at the world, the hand he had been dealt, preferred solitude and an ego that didn’t fit well with him having an accomplice? So I didn't buy his relationship with Holten but saw it more as a convenience to the plot. I so badly just wanted him to be a normal bloke with a story. I feel thats so much harder to achieve with a character than just giving someone a pain relief trait, some fancy weapons and an accomplice. His childhood story was compelling but just didn’t fit with his notion of wanting to destroy the American dream for me. I didn’t understand his character. And Eddie was very vanilla for a main character. He clearly had a drinking problem but the author completely skimmed over that?! I feel the author spent a lot of time on the plot and almost forgot about the characters.

Therefore as a TV/Film series this could be SO great, and from 60% in I was gripped but overall as as a book I felt it lacked. Wouldn’t put me off reading another of his books, but I’ve read better thrillers IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
This was my first time ever reading this genre and I loved it! I will definitely be reading the other books in the series.

I do agree with the above poster that it didn’t really pick up until after half way through. I actually couldn’t put it down near the end and stayed up until 3am just so I could finish it 😂

Reactions: 3
This is the type of book I'd normally go for so I did enjoy it. I felt similar to what others have said here previously. More character depth, less cliches. A non-American setting would've made me enjoy this story even more. However, I'd definitely consider reading something else from Steve Cavanagh in the future.

Reactions: 4
I abolsutley loved it. I agree it took forever for me to get really into it. I did at one point think is this ever going to kick in?! But when it did finally kick in I loved the pace etc of it.

I read that Thirteen is the third or fourth book in a series about Eddie Flynn so I am tempted to go back and read the series from the beginning which I think will give a better background to all the characters.

Reactions: 7
For starters this is exactly the type of book I would usually go for. Jo Nesbo is my usual.

The psychology about what makes murderers do what they do and how they are different from us fascinates me. I love a good plot twist too.
I didn’t find the book started slow at all. I enjoyed how it was built up, discussing the jurors and building the tension to what was he going to do next. I liked that the chapters seemed to be short and after each one I was left wanting to find out more.
The originality of the murderer being on the jury was a clever idea. Initially I wondered if it would come across as a bit farcical but found it very well done and believable. I was worried the court scenes may be a bit drawn out or full of complicated legal jargo - but they were neither.
My one criticism would be as others have said - the characters while I got their personalities didn’t really have a “ face” to them.
So overall, thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely be picking up another Steve Cavanagh book.

Reactions: 8
Overall I liked it. I did think as soon as Kane mentioned he had "a man on the inside" that it was definitely going to be Holten. I felt like some moments were described in an unnecessary level of detail and other important plot points were entirely kind of skimmed over - there was only vague reference to Holten liking Harper.... He was there in the morning when Eddie calls her so clearly they had some level of relationship and yet when we find out Holten is a super villain aide there is no mention of Harpers reaction to this news.

Throughout the entire book you are lead to believe that Alex Wynn is Kane and at the big reveal that Kane is actually Summers I was kind of like 🤷‍♀️ Other than a 1 page description of the jurors we didnt exactly know a whole lot about the other jury members. I'm sure it was supposed to be a big 😮 moment but I just didnt really care.

Overall though I liked it. I wanted to keep reading it. Short chapters are always a plus for me. A great book club book because I would never have read it otherwise. I have downloaded 50 50 (the next in the series) because it was 87p on kindle 😄

Reactions: 9
I’ve read the previous 3 books in the series so I enjoyed this. I really love Eddie’s character for some reason 🙊

I thought the idea behind the serial killer being on the jury was great and definitely different. I liked how the chapters almost alternated between Flynn and Kane and that the chapters were short.
It was a bit slower initially but I didn’t mind the build up. The last part was suddenly much more fast paced and exciting. I know there are more books in the series so in the back of my mind I knew Eddie would be ok. That gave it a little predictability.

Thirteen is potentially the most enjoyable book I’ve read and I’ve recommended it to a few people who all loved it too. I’m not going to add much more because there is some great detail in the posts above. The star of the show is Eddie Flynn and after reading Thirteen I went back and read his standalone books. I also read 50/50 last year which was really good but not close to Thirteen for me.

I read this book a good 18 months ago but can still remember it vividly. It definitely started my love of Steve cavanagh and I have read a few more of his now (although not in order!) fifty fifty is another fab read by him

I enjoyed this book. The concept was interesting with a man on the inside. I liked the twists it kept it interesting until the end. The characters were well written but Kane’s chapters weren’t as engaging as Flynn’s.

It would make a better film/show than a book I think.

Id probably read more of cavanaghs books. Would rate this one 3/5.

I can see it as a TV show too. I enjoyed it, love this genre anyway.

The author is from Belfast (well, Lisburn, but near enough 🤣) but sets all the Eddie Flynn books in New York. He has recently resigned from day job as a solicitor to concentrate on writing full time. I think he was also a screenwriter at some point, which may explain how Thirteen may work better as a TV show.

He also has a v funny crime writing based podcast with another (Liverpool based) writer, which I think is still going, but as I previously did all my podcast Listening while driving I currently have no idea!

Reactions: 5

The author is from Belfast (well, Lisburn, but near enough 🤣) but sets all the Eddie Flynn books in New York. He has recently resigned from day job as a solicitor to concentrate on writing full time. I think he was also a screenwriter at some point, which may explain how Thirteen may work better as a TV show.

He also has a v funny crime writing based podcast with another (Liverpool based) writer, which I think is still going, but as I previously did all my podcast Listening while driving I currently have no idea!
I love podcasts so will have a look for it, thanks! I’ve got the next two books in the series so looking forward to reading them. Overall, I’ve enjoyed the series so far. The first one I wasn’t such a fan of as it felt too slow, but that’s maybe because it was his first book.

Reactions: 1
Some great reviews above! I LOVED this book. Would give it a solid 8.5/10. I'm now fully fangirling over Steve Cavanagh and deep into Fifty Fifty at the moment, which I'd also highly recommend.

I love Cavanagh's writing style. I find it really engaging and you can tell he's a very smart guy. I thought the storyline was very clever and loved the format of the chapters alternating between Kane and Eddie.

Unlike others, I didn't struggle to get into the book and found it engaging from the get go. For me, it seemed like the book intentionally started off slow and built momentum and I liked this.

I liked the side plot of a potential romance blossoming between Harper and Eddie. I liked the gory details given and Kane's backstory. I also really liked the bits about the jurors and the likelihood of each of them giving a guilty verdict. Yeah, I just basically bloody loved everything about it.

Reactions: 8
Not my usual genre but a good read for lockdown or a holiday (remember them?). I'm not sure I can add much that hasn't been said but I thought the lot idea was clever but implausible. It was a cheap trick that Kane didn't feel pain. There were also plenty of moments where I thought it was far fetched, particularly where Kane had supposedly done preparatory things, that were mentioned afterwards, to ensure things worked out. The guy myst have been permanently mentally and physically exhausted. The main characters weren't fleshed out enough yet there was plenty of detail in other areas. I didn't guess the man in the inside but tbh I wasn't bothered.
I would read more from the author if I was casting around for something but thankfully have a long list.
Just read Girl with the Louding Voice by Abu Dare. Excellent.

Reactions: 5
Had the potential to be really good. But. The characters lacked depth. And some parts seemed really rushed if that makes sense. Like someone above I skim read an awful lot of it.

Reactions: 1

I wonder if that’s Luca Veste?

I really enjoyed it, it’s my kind of story but once again it seemed to be a book written with an eye to it being a feature film. I loved the character of Eddie and like that his back story is a bit different. I really love a courtroom drama too. All the details about trials and juries are fascinating to me. I enjoyed it enough to read too more Eddie Flynn stories but am feeling I need a break from them now. I would not have guessed he wasn’t American, did any American Tattlers pick up on inconsistencies and inaccuracies that Brits might have missed?

Last edited:
Reactions: 2