Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

carriebooboo

Chatty Member
Disney has come out swinging, calling her 'callous' and playing the covid card. Callous for wanting her contract to be honoured? Reeks of sexism to me. They'd never openly insult the likes of RDJ or Hemsworth if they went legal.

Reactions: 8

carriebooboo

Chatty Member
But the problem is not that her contract wasn't honnored. But that in the post covid world it didn't anticipate that it would be released to streaming meaning her contract isnt as lucrative as anticipated.

I think they'd insult anyone who was unlikely to ever have another film with them again.

The base deal was 15million apparently before any of the bonuses and if no one streamed or watched it would still get that.

All depends on how the contract is worded. But she'll need to donate the winnings to feeding America or something to come out of this looking good.
If her contract stated that the movie was to be released in theatres before streaming, and it wasn't honoured, then she has a case. She apparently went back to Disney and offered to renegotiate and they blanked her, which is why she's had to go legal. WB has had to renegotiate all their deals with talent for the same reason, the difference being that they are voluntarily (albeit after some pushing!) paying out.

Disney look far worse here. It's a business deal. Turning it into a personal attack and attaching morals to it is bizarre and unprofessional.

Reactions: 8

carriebooboo

Chatty Member
Loved it. I would have preferred if she'd had another Avenger to keep the Marvel connection going. Like how she was Steve's co-star in Winter Soldier or Tony in Spiderman. But otherwise it was a fun ride. Going to miss her character.

Reactions: 4

carriebooboo

Chatty Member
People seem to be mindlessly jumping on the 'evil Disney' bandwagon and backing Scarlett. Yes, Disney is a highly questionable corporation but Scarlett Johansson is also far from a beacon of moral virtue. The one thing Disney and Scarlett have in common is their cut-throat attitude aimed towards earning as much money as possible. Let's not forget Scarlett Johansson chose to support Israeli Apartheid over Oxfam, has said she deserves to play any race she wants to, stood up for Woody Allen (bizarrely whilst also supporting the Women's March). I'm not rooting for her, at all.
Why would morals and virtue even come into it? It's a business deal. I work in the arts and every female-centric group/chat I'm in supports her 100%, not because 'she's the right sort of person' but because she has a right to mount a legal challenge without being subjected to an unprofessional personal attack by a leading studio exec.

Reactions: 3

Tublet83

VIP Member
Personally I think she didn’t do this in March because she didn’t want to cloud the film’s release - performance and reviews. I’m sure her team have been trying to negotiate in the background for some time. Decisions like this aren’t made over night, especially with a huge corporation like Disney.

Someone would always make this claim - it just so happens its Scarlett.

Yel

Chatty Member
I'm sure it's good, but I think I'll wait for streaming. One of my least faves in marvel and might have cheered when the character was killed off 🤷‍♀️

• Wow
  • Haha

Lollypad

VIP Member
Disney has come out swinging, calling her 'callous' and playing the covid card. Callous for wanting her contract to be honoured? Reeks of sexism to me. They'd never openly insult the likes of RDJ or Hemsworth if they went legal.
Have to agree. Don’t make out she’s unsympathetic taking on a billion dollar corporation if they’ve breached contract. They’re not going to suffer…

Tublet83

VIP Member
Who’s seen it?

Went to the cinema tonight and loved it, well worth the wait!

• Heart

Tublet83

VIP Member
I agree good on her for making a stand, I don’t see the issue with it personally she’s seeking what she thinks she is owed.

Maybe this is why she didn’t turn up to the premieres 👀

Yel

Chatty Member
Possibly unpopular opinion, but I'm not a fan of this jumping to sexism. I bet Disney would screw over any one regardless of gender in pursuit of greater profits. I think if any of the male avengers had of reached the end of the line with their Disney characters they'd of been treated the same.

I think she should have raised public objections back in march long before it came out, rather than waiting until now.

People assuming sexism and that Disney must be in breach while not being aware of all the information I think hinders the cause.

The ft today have a quite balanced article, the wording “wide theatrical release” seems like it could go either way. It doesn't mention at all the "exclusive theatrical release" that other news outlets have, so is this made up?

Streaming is here, it doesn't favour the actors and they don't like it. But they might just have to get over it, as have musical artists.

Johansson’s suit hinges on the interpretation of her contract, which promises a “wide theatrical release”. Does “wide theatrical release” preclude streaming? A top entertainment lawyer says it is “murky”. But even if Johansson wins, her battle cry will probably not prompt the watershed moment actors are hoping for.

I wish the article had of mentioned that t swift gave in and put up her back catalogue on streaming just as Katy Perry released her new album, being the queen of petty she is 😆

Yel

Chatty Member
I do find this 100% on her side a tad troublesome as no one is in possession of all the information to really make that judgement. And it's not one woman taking on a mega corp, it's someone's considerable team against the mouse. So many people seem to be swayed by simplistic headlines.

End of the day for me it boils down to two capitalist corporate entities trying to make as much money as possible in an industry that's under change due to how people consume content. I'd struggle to be on eithers team.

Morty

I'm probably going to see it Monday. I hoping for something more espionage and thriller (like TWS - still one of my favourite ones!) than balls-to-the-wall superhero stuff we've seen so much of already.

I'm sure it's good, but I think I'll wait for streaming. One of my least faves in marvel and might have cheered when the character was killed off
😮 😭

• Haha

Gimmethegossipgirl

I'm not that into marvel these days and still think endgame wasn't all that
I thought I was the only one who didn’t think that much of endgame I thought both those films were meh and some of the things they did were just plain wrong/didn’t make sense!

Black widow was ok I expected more I think but it was worth the watch

Reactions: 2

Hilopicklelo

VIP Member
I think it’s definitely a film that’s better to see at the cinema!

Florence Pugh 🙌
I think it definitely picked up half way through, I really enjoyed the second half and the post credit scene! Will deffo go watch it in the cinema too when I can

• Heart

EastofHollywood

Chatty Member
Yes I'm not sure how I feel.about this. On the one hand, women are always told to play nice when they are shafted. I bet RDJ or Chris Hemsworth would have just got a payout, not been slagged off by Disney.They should have renegotiated the contract accordingly or not released it on Disney + until later as per her contract. It was at a premium price on Disney +, so we went to the cinema instead as it was cheaper for 3 of us (£15 instead of £20) They have made a lot of money from the streaming that they havent had to pass on through a negotiated contract. OTOH, she is a very rich film star, complaining about not getting a cut of the potential box office so 🤷‍♀️

Yel

Chatty Member
Thing is, if she was due some sort of box office share then I don't see how if it had been released in cinemas only she would have been better off. Many are closed worldwide and many people are still staying home. They made 60million streaming, which when you factor that's pure profit for disney with no cinema fees its actually worth more.

I've read conflicting reports and as mentioned no one knows ins and outs of the contract, but I'd say streaming saved the film financially. Should she be entitled to a share of the streaming money? Maybe, but not sure she's owed 50million of it.
This exactly, it's going to be incredibly difficult to show that all those that streamed it would have gone to the cinema during covid.

Where would it stop, suing the government and cinema owners for reducing capacity that hit royalties?

Streaming was a very established industry a couple of years ago when she signed on for the project so I'm sure that would have been included as part of her bonus deal. So she quite possibly earnt more during covid with the dual release than if it had of been kept as cinema only.

Lots of conflicting reports and no one knows what the deal actually was so we can't say it's as simple as a mega corp not meeting contractual obligations.

I hope it does go to a full case and all the details are out there. I doubt either party would come out of it looking good.

Yel

Chatty Member
It was a solid 3 and half stars out of 5.

I'm not that into marvel these days and still think endgame wasn't all that.

Why do these baddies that live in a base like that never have decent fire exit for something that can be taken down so easily 🤦‍♀️

Guitarwarrior

VIP Member
My local cinema isn’t showing yet (it’s coming in a few weeks.)but I doubt I’ll go.

Black window was one of my favourites and should’ve had her solo movie YEARS ago. Just feels like they’ve been forced into it because of fan pressure. I’ll probably try and watch it on Disney+ when it comes off premium access. But I’ve kind of lost my enthusiasm for Marvel now the endgame stories are all wrapped up and characters have finished their commitments. They kind of oversaturated thing for me with lots of films in such a short space and my local is only one screen so doesn’t always get stuff straight away. Traveling to the nearest multiplex was a hassle as it’s about an hour away and expensive.

thatstupidcat

At the first hint of a contracted, Robert Downey Jr style, payday for a lady being taken to court, people immediately gather round to defend the poor evil corporation that sues schools for copyright infringement, exploits workers in its theme parks, fills the worlds’ oceans up with plastic tat and rinses children for their money etc.

It’s a funny old world.