Beyond Skincare #3 Cosmetic Devices and Procedures

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There's a few skincare threads active, maybe do a search for one of those! This thread is for devices and procedures

I felt a bit drawn this morning so I used a Youth Junkie (RIP) UFO mask. Felt so good!

Reactions: 4
I use murad vitamin C serum every day and I exfoliate twice a week. I always thought a daily exfoliant would make my skin a bit dry.
It can do. I use a PHA which is the most gentle exfoliant. With Vitamin C and an exfoliant twice a week Id have thought your skin would be glowy. I swear by Corsx snail mucin too.

Do you drink much water? It can definitely help too.

Reactions: 1
There's a few skincare threads active, maybe do a search for one of those! This thread is for devices and procedures

I felt a bit drawn this morning so I used a Youth Junkie (RIP) UFO mask. Felt so good!
Have you seen any indication of those being re-issued under another name?

I’m so looking forward to using one again😊😊😊

It can do. I use a PHA which is the most gentle exfoliant. With Vitamin C and an exfoliant twice a week Id have thought your skin would be glowy. I swear by Corsx snail mucin too.

Do you drink much water? It can definitely help too.
I drink tons of water and have a very good diet.

I just bought a bottle of the ‘Corsx snail mucin’ hopefully I notice a change. Thanks for your recommendation!

I’m so excited! I got an email from Reduit today to say that the Boost device I pre-ordered on Kickstarter will be posted soon. Watch this space!

Reactions: 7
Got my UFO masks last week , I’m so thrilled to be using them again.

Cannabis seed on Wednesday and Green tea this morning , my skin is loving them❤

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I just got some green tea masks, can't wait to use them!

Also just wanted to say that my Bear finally needed a charge. Pretty impressive after over a year!

Reactions: 5
I just got some green tea masks, can't wait to use them!

Also just wanted to say that my Bear finally needed a charge. Pretty impressive after over a year!
The UFO does make a difference to my skin , no doubt about it ( noticeably so after a break from regular use).

Reactions: 2
That's amazing! Bear is one of the microcurrent devices, like Nuface, Ziip (and Theraface?), right? Would it be your choice out of them? I've read a thorough Nuface vs Ziip comparison that someone kindly linked here but not sure how the other options stack up and debating getting one. Am in my mid 30s and feel quite late to the skincare game! Currently weighing up blepharoplasty too 😂

That's amazing! Bear is one of the microcurrent devices, like Nuface, Ziip (and Theraface?), right? Would it be your choice out of them? I've read a thorough Nuface vs Ziip comparison that someone kindly linked here but not sure how the other options stack up and debating getting one. Am in my mid 30s and feel quite late to the skincare game! Currently weighing up blepharoplasty too 😂
If it’s upper eyelid search on Amazon for “double eyelid tape.” Someone else on this thread was very pleased with the results /happy to skip surgery.

Glad to have found this thread! Has anyone here had semi-permanent makeup applied to their lips and be willing to share some comments about the experience? I have weirdly and unevenly pigmented lips that I want to correct!

As regards devices, my favourite - and the one what would seem best for what you want to achieve - is microcurrent. I have a NuFace Mini which I've used regularly for about three years.

It's supposed to do two main things: work on the muscles to give a very slight lift, introduce energy into the skin to stimulate collagen production. The results are subtle - don't expect a dramatic improvement - but clearly I wouldn't have continued using it for so long if I didn't think I was getting benefit from it.

The other thing to say about microcurrent devices is that you have to use it regularly - at least three times a week. To make it worth buying a microcurrent device you have to be the sort of person who'll keep using it consistently.

As regards treatments, the one that might best meet your needs is Profhilo:

'... improves skin tone, texture, hydration and overall radiance. It can help to increase firmness and elasticity and promote healthier and softer-looking skin.'

It's an injectable. The protocol is that you have the treatment twice, about a month apart, with the effect lasting 6 months. Not cheap. Each treatment costs around £450 (Harley Street prices). Not sure if you're supposed to have two treatments every 6 months, or just a single top-up after 6 months.

I had it when it first launched, about 5 years ago, and didn't think it did anything for me. Because it continues to get good reviews I recently tried it again with a different practitioner. So far, two weeks after the first treatment, I'm quite impressed - though not sure I'm happy being impressed given the potential cost if I carry on with it.

I would add that I found the injections quite painful - more than Botox and filler injections - but very quick. Also, as with any injection, there's the potential to get a small bruise at the injection site - so I wouldn't have it within, say, 10 days of wanting to look my best.
What kind of results did you see from filler? I'm considering filler for upper lip lines but don't want anything too obvious. Not so scared about botox which I'm also considering but worried about lip fillers looking very obvious

What kind of results did you see from filler? I'm considering filler for upper lip lines but don't want anything too obvious. Not so scared about botox which I'm also considering but worried about lip fillers looking very obvious
I used to be very bothered by my upper lip lines and I've tried five different things.

Filler. For a couple of years, around 12 years ago, I used to have a tiny bit of filler injected to fill out the lines. It did fill out the files but it also slightly altered the appearance of my upper lip, making it look 'done'. I was surprised by that, given the very small amount being used. I think the filler used to last about 9 months. I stopped having it done because I didn't like the way it altered my mouth. It's possible that a different practitioner could achieve a better result with filler but I did go to a very experienced person (Dr Tracy Mountford who runs a very successful London practice).

Botox. I've been having Botox for over 20 years. On one occasion the aesthetic doctor I was then seeing suggested that the best solution for upper lip lines was Botox - presumably to stop me pursing my lip. Although I was concerned that it would affect the functioning of my mouth he assured me that it wouldn't. But it did. I can't quite remember how - I think it made me pronounce 'p' as 'b' or something like that. I only tried it that once. Another practitioner might get a better result but, again, I had gone to a very experienced doctor (who I won't name and shame).

Ultracel. Not sure exactly what this is but it uses ultrasound and radio frequency. I had this around 10 years ago, not specifically for upper lip lines but for lower face. It unintentionally created a wound to one side of my upper lip where I now have a small scar. Lovely. The treatment was very painful and expensive and I didn't see any improvement. So, yes, altogether a lovely experience.

Tretinoin. This is the thing that I think has worked the best. It takes, literally, years but after consistent use of tretinoin my upper lip lines are less pronounced than they were 10 years ago despite me being 10 years older.

Profhilo. As mentioned in the post above, I tried this recently and I think it has further helped. If you were to try this, I'd suggest that you find a practitioner who is happy to target Profhilo to the area(s) you think might benefit - otherwise they might inject it per the standard protocol (all over your lower face).

I haven't tried any of the 'resurfacing' skin treatments that are on offer - lasers, peels etc - but I suspect they might be the best thing for deep lines (mine were never that deep) although with a fair bit of downtime. Nor have I tried Morpheus 8 which seems to get good reviews.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I used to be very bothered by my upper lip lines and I've tried five different things.

Filler. For a couple of years, around 12 years ago, I used to have a tiny bit of filler injected to fill out the lines. It did fill out the files but it also slightly altered the appearance of my upper lip, making it look 'done'. I was surprised by that, given the very small amount being used. I think the filler used to last about 9 months. I stopped having it done because I didn't like the way it altered my mouth. It's possible that a different practitioner could achieve a better result with filler but I did go to a very experienced person (Dr Tracy Mountford who runs a very successful London practice).

Botox. I've been having Botox for over 20 years. On one occasion the aesthetic doctor I was then seeing suggested that the best solution for upper lip lines was Botox - presumably to stop me pursing my lip. Although I was concerned that it would affect the functioning of my mouth he assured me that it wouldn't. But it did. I can't quite remember how - I think it made me pronounce 'p' as 'b' or something like that. I only tried it that once. Another practitioner might get a better result but, again, I had gone to a very experienced doctor (who I won't name and shame).

Ultracel. Not sure exactly what this is but it uses ultrasound and radio frequency. I had this around 10 years ago, not specifically for upper lip lines but for lower face. It unintentionally created a wound to one side of my upper lip where I now have a small scar. Lovely. The treatment was very painful and expensive and I didn't see any improvement. So, yes, altogether a lovely experience.

Tretinoin. This is the thing that I think has worked the best. It takes, literally, years but after consistent use of tretinoin my upper lip lines are less pronounced than they were 10 years ago despite me being 10 years older.

Profhilo. As mentioned in the post above, I tried this recently and I think it has further helped. If you were to try this, I'd suggest that you find a practitioner who is happy to target Profhilo to the area(s) you think might benefit - otherwise they might inject it per the standard protocol (all over your lower face).

I haven't tried any of the 'resurfacing' skin treatments that are on offer - lasers, peels etc - but I suspect they might be the best thing for deep lines (mine were never that deep) although with a fair bit of downtime. Nor have I tried Morpheus 8 which seems to get good reviews.
Jane Cunningham is under going Morpheus 8 , she did say it hadn’t done much, according to her last update upon the beginning of her second session. If I’ve got that wrong , I’m thinking off the top of my head, I apologise.

Reactions: 3
Jane Cunningham is under going Morpheus 8 , she did say it hadn’t done much, according to her last update upon the beginning of her second session. If I’ve got that wrong , I’m thinking off the top of my head, I apologise.
I'll be interested in what she has to say about it but I don't think I'll ever try it. My experience with Ultracel - and a similarly underwhelming experience previously with Thermage - have put me off those machine-based treatments. Painful, expensive, negligible results.

Reactions: 2
I got the Nuface aqua gel. Ran out of the original and when I discovered I could get the aqua gel in a dept store near me I thought I'd give it a go. It's way more expensive but I do like it

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.