Best and worst things about England

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I cannot stand hot summers and I really really hate light nights! I spend every weekend outside in the hills of the Peak District and there is nothing better than pissed off or angry weather!!
I'm completely the same. I hate hot summer days. People think I'm mental but hot weather attracts insects, flies and worst of all - wasp.

Edit// Just to continue... I went to a talk which Christopher Bailey was hosting, he's the designer for Burberry. He said something that stuck with me, how English rain is so romantic and refreshing. It so true and that why I love a rainy day.

Reactions: 2
Worst - the weather and the darkness of winter! I could deal with the cold but detest that we seem to get a short spring, an even shorter summer and then a grey, rainy, dark and dreary autumn/winter for about 8 months of the year. I also think our food can be a little bit bland on the whole but back to my multicultural point above, we are able to import some of the most fantastic recipes, chefs and ingredients. I can’t stand our politicians either but I think that might be the case anywhere!
Our food may be a bit bland but is there anything better after a day in the cold than tucking into some proper English comfort food like a casserole or shepherd's pie?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Our food may be a bit bland but is there anything better after a day in the cold than tucking into some proper English comfort food like a casserole or shepherd's pie?
Very good point! Although I still can’t make a beef stew that tastes like my Mums even when she tells me step by step what to do!

Reactions: 1
The best thing has to be a proper Sunday dinner in a proper pub!

Also, winter walks on a beach are one of my favourite things.

The NHS is something that I am eternally grateful for.

The single worst thing in my eyes is our government and politicians.

The weather can be crap but we are British and love to complain about it!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My favourite thing about this country has to be the sense of humour of natives, and pies up North... my least favourite thing is the overpriced railway network! Oh, and the poor quality of new build homes. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4
The best thing has to be a proper Sunday dinner in a proper pub!

Also, winter walks on a beach are one of my favourite things.

The NHS is something that I am eternally grateful for.

The single worst thing in my eyes is our government and politicians.

The weather can be crap but we are British and love to complain about it!
Politicians are the worst everywhere!!

I love this country of ours, have travelled and lived abroad, but it's always great to come home.

Love our NHS, we are so lucky
Love our traditions,
the 4 seasons, living in a hot climate really gets boring after a while.
Love our diverse scenery

Dislike our political system and currupt polititons.& the price of public transport which is so ridiculously high

Wouldnt want to live anywhere else on earth ☺ 🇬🇧

Reactions: 6
@Blueskittle if you do decide to make the move I recommend the book Watching The English by Kate Fox. It is an social anthropological study of English people and their curious, wonderful, unspoken ways. Really helped me when I first moved here.

For those of you who live in London, do you have a car? Do you think you can live there without driving? I'm getting my licence now, I don't know if I'll ever be bothered to learn how to drive but the other way around 😅

You don't need to drive if you live in London. The transport links are fantastic (though very busy) across the city. Many city centres are not particularly car-friendly anyway and rightly so.
If you live in a rural area then yes, driving is pretty essential IMO.

Reactions: 1
Yes driving in London is expensive and largely uneccesary if you don’t have kids or something. Most boroughs make you pay for residents parking now and there’s also a central London congestion charge anytime you drive through zone 1. But the tube and bus links are so good I guarantee you’d rarely miss having a car.

Talking of prices if you’re under 30 you can get a railcard that gives you a 1/3 off the notoriously expensive train tickets all around the UK. It costs about 30 quid I think ? And lasts a year so usually pays its self off after a few long distance journeys if you’re planning any. ALSO I don’t think its so well known that it can be linked to your Oyster card (London transport pass). I think only at off peak hours but you get 1/3 off the tube (bus is always 1.50).

If you live in any major city you won’t need a car.

I’m from up north in Newcastle, and there are some fantastic cities across the U.K., London isn’t everything 😉 (although I do love London as well!)

I would agree with others on a negative being the rail network, it’s expensive and privatised and not as efficient as it should be.

• Heart
Thanks to everyone! I know London is not everything, but I've always loved capitals. Who knows where I will end 😂

In regards to the racism topic, I just want to say that racism to muslims, Europeans, anybody is wrong and I absolutely do not condone it. I have friends who are black (hope that's okay to say!) And from Romania, Africa, etc and they can't help what colour skin they have or where they were born. Nor does it matter. They have especially since Brexit experienced more racism and it's upsetting.

However, as a white English woman I also have experienced racism ~ albiet not as much at all, or as common as the other way around has experienced but that doesn't make it OK ~ from non English people, it works both ways but almost always gets swept under the carpet. It's unfair some of the comments that get made about Brits, that we all are on benefits or are all lazy, or we all go abroad and all are ignorant and aren't respectful abroad. The pics you see of drunken Brits causing havoc in Magaluf for example isn't an example of us all and many of us feel embarrassed by that behaviour and what other countries think of us. It's unfair to tar all us Brits with the same brush.

Racism can happen anywhere and happens in the US, Australia is quite bad... I don't understand why Brits get singled out and don't think it's fair as I certainly would defend a muslim experiencing abuse. Especially a lone muslim lady who clearly was put on the spot. Plus someone saod above that an Englishman defended them against some racism, so clearly we don't all accept that behaviour and would act on it.

I used to have a Spanish friend who themselves and their family hated muslims and apparently alot of Spanish people don't like muslims. I took it with a pinch of salt, I never go around saying all Spanish people hate muslims because you can't tar tear everyone with the same brush.

I'm sure I'll get called "racist" for posting this, I absolutely am not racist at all, and voted remain bu the way. I just think it works both ways in that alot of English people get painted into a picture and tarred with the same brush as each other which also is unfair and racism can come both ways, it is wrong whoever is racist to whoever. I hope people understand where I'm trying to come from and I won't be flamethrowed too badly.

In regards to the racism topic, I just want to say that racism to muslims, Europeans, anybody is wrong and I absolutely do not condone it. I have friends who are black (hope that's okay to say!) And from Romania, Africa, etc and they can't help what colour skin they have or where they were born. Nor does it matter. They have especially since Brexit experienced more racism and it's upsetting.

However, as a white English woman I also have experienced racism ~ albiet not as much at all, or as common as the other way around has experienced but that doesn't make it OK ~ from non English people, it works both ways but almost always gets swept under the carpet. It's unfair some of the comments that get made about Brits, that we all are on benefits or are all lazy, or we all go abroad and all are ignorant and aren't respectful abroad. The pics you see of drunken Brits causing havoc in Magaluf for example isn't an example of us all and many of us feel embarrassed by that behaviour and what other countries think of us. It's unfair to tar all us Brits with the same brush.

Racism can happen anywhere and happens in the US, Australia is quite bad... I don't understand why Brits get singled out and don't think it's fair as I certainly would defend a muslim experiencing abuse. Especially a lone muslim lady who clearly was put on the spot. Plus someone saod above that an Englishman defended them against some racism, so clearly we don't all accept that behaviour and would act on it.

I used to have a Spanish friend who themselves and their family hated muslims and apparently alot of Spanish people don't like muslims. I took it with a pinch of salt, I never go around saying all Spanish people hate muslims because you can't tar tear everyone with the same brush.

I'm sure I'll get called "racist" for posting this, I absolutely am not racist at all, and voted remain bu the way. I just think it works both ways in that alot of English people get painted into a picture and tarred with the same brush as each other which also is unfair and racism can come both ways, it is wrong whoever is racist to whoever. I hope people understand where I'm trying to come from and I won't be flamethrowed too badly.
In this thread we were talking about Britain because the OP asked about life in Britain.

Every country/city/town/village/street in the world is going to be somewhere on a scale of how welcoming they are to “others”.

And every incident matters but the bigger picture is that racism is about the power structures within our societies.

It’s good you are thinking more about it. To learn more Renni Eddo-Lodge is a great place to start: http://renieddolodge.co.uk/why-im-no-longer-talking-to-white-people-about-race/. She also has a book on the topic.

Ha! Your worst thing is my favourite thing! I LOVE the dark nights - in fact I can’t wait for our clocks to change at the end of the month! I live for grey days and I can’t stand the light days or when it gets warm!
I love the dark nights.Makes me feel cosy indoors