Best and worst things about England

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love England and think we do these things better than anywhere else in the world:

fashion
music
sarcasm
queuing
talking about the weather

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Being able to go for a breakfast and have a beer with it in a local bar/pub and not be judged for drinking at breakfast time is great. As an American the weather is a bit of a downer though I have to say... like Atlantis with all this rain lately. ⛈🚣‍♂️

Litter!

I was in Gdansk last recently and didn’t spot one piece of litter on the roadside when going to the City from the Airport. Compare it to a British roadside where it looks like people just dump their bins as they drive along. Even the city centre was spotless.
Today in town I witnessed grown adults just throwing litter on the street as they walked along. Scumbag 😡

I love England and think we do these things better than anywhere else in the world:

fashion
music
sarcasm
queuing
talking about the weather
Damn right, about music in particular. This tiny island was responsible for the Beatles, Bowie, the smiths, oasis... that’s just picking one from each decade (pre 2000) of course there’s heaps more. I defy anyone to argue otherwise!

Reactions: 3
Damn right, about music in particular. This tiny island was responsible for the Beatles, Bowie, the smiths, oasis... that’s just picking one from each decade (pre 2000) of course there’s heaps more. I defy anyone to argue otherwise!
This is what gets me when you watch those dire programmes like "Wanted Down Under". Parents thinking the outdoor lifestyle is best for their kids. Thinking that kids only thrive in hot climates.

Maybe some kids. But this country has always thrived in producing the best most eccentric and influential rock/pop music in the world. The Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Punk, Black Sabbath, Eric Clapton, Muse, Jam, Madness, The Specials, The Smith's, Joy Division..I could go on and on. All bands that started off on rainy, deary days in all seasons stuck in their rooms learning to play the guitar, writing lyrics.....

Our climate has produced these creative avant garde forerunners in every aspect of the Arts.

Reactions: 6
This is what gets me when you watch those dire programmes like "Wanted Down Under". Parents thinking the outdoor lifestyle is best for their kids. Thinking that kids only thrive in hot climates.

Maybe some kids. But this country has always thrived in producing the best most eccentric and influential rock/pop music in the world. The Beatles, Stones, Bowie, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Punk, Black Sabbath, Eric Clapton, Muse, Jam, Madness, The Specials, The Smith's, Joy Division..I could go on and on. All bands that started off on rainy, deary days in all seasons stuck in their rooms learning to play the guitar, writing lyrics.....

Our climate has produced these creative avant garde forerunners in every aspect of the Arts.
Makes me think of a famous quote from the third man: “ In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They producedd Michaelangelo, da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.”

But in this case it’s less about oppression more the boredom of a dreary British town on a drizzly Sunday afternoon....

Reactions: 2
Makes me think of a famous quote from the third man: “ In Italy for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed. They producedd Michaelangelo, da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce? The cuckoo clock.”

But in this case it’s less about oppression more the boredom of a dreary British town on a drizzly Sunday afternoon....
Calls to mind the Barry Humphries quote,

"Growing up in Australia was akin to going to the school disco with your Grandmother "

"Growing up in Australia was akin to going to the school disco with your Grandmother "
Yes! The population density in the UK lends itself to creativity and innovation. Jim Jefferies said a while ago, he reaches 10% of the population in Australia, that’s nothing. He reaches 10% of the population in the uk and America, that’s phenomenal.

Reactions: 1
The weather is the only downfall, that’s the only reason we go on holiday so much!
Although every single time we return I say to my partner ‘ how lucky we are to live here’ England is just home!

Reactions: 1
I lived abroad for 2 years so had a long time to think about what I love about England 😂

- Primark
- B&M/Home Bargains
- TV dramas and series
- TV in general (reality tv etc)
- Aldi
- sense of humour
- manners!! I live in the North and bloody love how polite and friendly everyone is. letting you go in front of them on escalators, saying good morning, helping people with bags or prams, giving up seats for elderly or pregnant women - this was the 1 thing I missed more than anything and what I love most about Britain

Defines Courtney Adamo’s account now. They even have a beige dog to go with their beige lifestyle.

I like the vast choice of tea available. I have to take various teabags with me when I travel, especially to North America, just so I can have a decent cup of tea.

Last edited:
My fav thing about England (and the UK as a whole) is our ability to laugh at ourselves and each other. We dont take ourselves seriously and embrace our failures in sports, politics etc with humour.

Despite our name 'Great Britain', we don't have a 'we're the best' mentality and are always pleasantly surprised when we do well at something.

My fav thing about England (and the UK as a whole) is our ability to laugh at ourselves and each other. We dont take ourselves seriously and embrace our failures in sports, politics etc with humour.

Despite our name 'Great Britain', we don't have a 'we're the best' mentality and are always pleasantly surprised when we do well at something.
Yeah this is a good one. You know lord buckethead who stood for election in Boris Johnson’s seat in Uxbridge and last election in Maidenhead against Theresa may? (There’s a long history going back to thatcher

My friend from New York is obsessed with it- because something like that would never happen over there.

Here he is onstage early Friday morning alongside the similar Elmo, count bin face...and the prime minister.
9B7269C8-F78A-4451-BCBF-22BC8666126D.png

• Haha
Reactions: 2