BBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Robert Elms show today partly consisted of him asking people to tell him where in London they’d live if they had the choice. He said it was relevant to him and admitted he might be moving. Maybe he’s sold his £3,250,000 house in Camden. He’s taking another 3 days off next week, maybe he’s house hunting.
Yes I heard him say that today. He said he might talk about it more later in the show but I don't think he did. He did say yesterday that he was taking the time off as he had things to do, he's probably doing some viewings. Most important features of a new place for him would be for it to sound cool and to look cool so he's probably been looking on the Modern House website where his own place was listed. I don't think he'd go west, or much further south.

Yesterday on the show he said he was thinking about when he got married and how long he'd lived in the house, saying it had been in a very bad state when he moved in. This is another example of him playing poor. Having been there 26 years he'd likely be in a good position even if he'd been paying interest only or taken equity out for his holiday houses.

At his age and stage it's logical to downsize, with three adult children he could get them on the housing ladder (especially with the 5% deposit mortgages we'll be seeing) and still have change for a flat in the Barbican.

Can't stand Jo Wiley or Zoe Ball. I like Sara Cox and Liza Tarbuck. I defected to the new Graham Norton show and my OH has done the same with Simon Mayo.

Reactions: 2
Yes I heard him say that today. He said he might talk about it more later in the show but I don't think he did. He did say yesterday that he was taking the time off as he had things to do, he's probably doing some viewings. Most important features of a new place for him would be for it to sound cool and to look cool so he's probably been looking on the Modern House website where his own place was listed. I don't think he'd go west, or much further south.

Yesterday on the show he said he was thinking about when he got married and how long he'd lived in the house, saying it had been in a very bad state when he moved in. This is another example of him playing poor. Having been there 26 years he'd likely be in a good position even if he'd been paying interest only or taken equity out for his holiday houses.

At his age and stage it's logical to downsize, with three adult children he could get them on the housing ladder (especially with the 5% deposit mortgages we'll be seeing) and still have change for a flat in the Barbican.
They bought and fixed up a flat in Brixton which the eldest, Alice, bought off them. Christina blogged about it. Alice worked in Brixton.

I know the houses in his street as a friend’s parents bought one in the Sixties. Far too many floors for my liking. Two rooms on each floor. The Elms even added a floor. They will probably need at least 3/4 bedrooms when they move as the younger two will still need a place to live due to the boomeranging. His son didn’t stay in South London after he moved there I think when he was university,

Last edited:
They bought and fixed up a flat in Brixton which the eldest, Alice, bought off them. Christina blogged about it. Alice worked in Brixton.

I know the houses in his street as a friend’s parents had one, in the Sixties. Far too many floors for my liking. Two rooms on each floor. The Elms even added a floor. They will probably need at least 3/4 bedrooms when they move as the younger two will still need a place to live due to the boomeranging. His son didn’t stay in South London after he moved there I think when he was university,
Interesting. I've never really followed his wife's activities, I know she does photography, apparently professionally.

Reactions: 1
Interesting. I've never really followed his wife's activities, I know she does photography, apparently professionally.
Their Suffolk cottage is available to rent for holidays. Google Lime Blossom Cottage, Wrentham, Suffolk. You’ll find Christina’s page with info about the cottage plus other musings.It’s a pretty part of the world. Can also rent their Spanish house.

I listen to Radio2 less these days, avoid Ball like the plague.
Huey Morgan is something different, hidden away in a graveyard slot sadly.
Ken Bruce & Popmaster are still good, and I tune in.
Vine is like a hyperactive student, really annoying.
Steve Wright meh, stop talking over the music you egotistical tit.
Over on BBC 6Music Shaun Keaveny is a better listen in the afternoon, followed by Lamacq who can either be great or spend 3 hrs playing some weird guff.
I find myself tuning into the excellent World Service more & more, great info and stories from across the globe.
Radio4 too still has it's good moments, enjoy the quizzes, Desert Island Discs & Gardeners QT.
5Live is a bit...dull..and appears to be stuck in time, somewhere around 1997.
Dotun through the night is dreadful.
I think there's something for everyone in the BBC's radio output 😀

Reactions: 2
Radio 1 is completely horrible on weekend nights. I really don't think there's that many people sitting at home or in their car on their way to pre-drinks/a party trying to feel like they're in a nightclub with crappy music, especially during a lockdown

Radio 1 is completely horrible on weekend nights. I really don't think there's that many people sitting at home or in their car on their way to pre-drinks/a party trying to feel like they're in a nightclub with crappy music, especially during a lockdown
Haven’t listened to it for years and years. Have you tried 6Music?

Twice now, recently BBC London has subbed Lionheart for Robert Elms on holiday and then got Jim Davis who is an excellent broadcaster, to cover for Lionheart. Why not just use Jim for Robert’s slot instead? He has more of a range than Lionheart who sounds like he is hopped up on sugar, They then have Jason Solomons in for the other two days, who frequently subs for Robert anyway.

Twice now, recently BBC London has subbed Lionheart for Robert Elms on holiday and then got Jim Davis who is an excellent broadcaster, to cover for Lionheart. Why not just use Jim for Robert’s slot instead? He has more of a range than Lionheart who sounds like he is hopped up on sugar, They then have Jason Solomons in for the other two days, who frequently subs for Robert anyway.
Lionheart is unlistenable for me, it's the referring to himself in the third person that does it. I missed most of Jason sitting in for Robert Elms yesterday, I should be able to listen today but I might have to turn off as soon as I hear one of the high-rotation tracks already seared into my brain.

Lionheart is unlistenable for me, it's the referring to himself in the third person that does it. I missed most of Jason sitting in for Robert Elms yesterday, I should be able to listen today but I might have to turn off as soon as I hear one of the high-rotation tracks already seared into my brain.
“It’s your boy Lionheart” is said repeatedly. Why? He messed up Joan Armatrading’s surname the first time he said it the other week, not her first name, which is what I’d originally thought. He said Armstratrading in a mangled sort of way. Then, after the song, he said her surname correctly but called her Joanne. He kept calling another guest de Sowza, and not de Souza. He announced that he’d told his parents that he was going to be a poet and not an architect and that he was also a BBC presenter, He said he has two programmed averts in the evenings? I thought it was just the one. I’ve given up listening at that time, all seven days of the week.

I can’t believe I’m saying this but as a Radio 2 fan (less and less) I cannot stand Zoe Ball,she’s pathetic and childish. I wasn’t ever a fan of Chris Evans but guess what? I’m now tuning in to Chris Evans on Virgin Radio and quite enjoying it! 😂 To be honest I sometimes listen to Talk Sport in the morning just for some normal adult humour..not for the sport.

I really enjoy Radio 2 on the way to work in the mornings. I find Zoe quite enjoyable to listen to.

I quite liked Cat Deeley when she covered but I can't actually remember who she covered for!

I'm not keen on Steve Wright, in fact I've started switching over to Smooth now when he's on.

Pick of the Pops is always amazing, as are the tracks that get played on Elaine Page's slot but I cannot stand her laugh. Has me gritting my teeth and side eyeing the radio every time.

I used to love Paul O'Grady and Graham Norton's slots but I'm not sure they are on any more because I don't often have chance to listen at those times.

I really enjoy Radio 2 on the way to work in the mornings. I find Zoe quite enjoyable to listen to.

I quite liked Cat Deeley when she covered but I can't actually remember who she covered for!

I'm not keen on Steve Wright, in fact I've started switching over to Smooth now when he's on.

Pick of the Pops is always amazing, as are the tracks that get played on Elaine Page's slot but I cannot stand her laugh. Has me gritting my teeth and side eyeing the radio every time.

I used to love Paul O'Grady and Graham Norton's slots but I'm not sure they are on any more because I don't often have chance to listen at those times.
Graham left Radio 2 in December for Virgin Radio. Paul is still there.

I haven’t listened to R2 that much these past few weeks, I’m a bit sick of it while I’m WFH. I’m probably in the minority that likes Jeremy Vine’s slot 🤣 I’m getting into ‘talk’ radio so I’m gradually moving over to R4!

R2 on a weekend is abysmal although I do like Pick of the Pops.

I haven’t listened to R2 that much these past few weeks, I’m a bit sick of it while I’m WFH. I’m probably in the minority that likes Jeremy Vine’s slot 🤣 I’m getting into ‘talk’ radio so I’m gradually moving over to R4!

I like Sounds of the Seventies with Johnny Walker. Gary Davis does Sounds of the Eighties (not on the weekend) which I’ve not listened to yet. Tony Blackburn does Sounds of the Sixties on a Friday.

I like Sounds of the Seventies with Johnny Walker. Gary Davis does a Sounds of the Eighties which I’ve not listened to yet. Tony Blackburn does Sounds of the Sixties on a Friday and also Soul on Sunday.

Robert Elms again talking about downsizing and asking people to call in to say what they regret throwing out. Said again he might be moving, but not to worry, it will still be in London. Shame they won’t be able to rent out their house for filming if they move. 😬 His wife trained as an architect and is now a photographer, as well as all the other skills she apparently taught herself while on lockdown. 😏

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.