Great British Bake Off 2021 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
HALLELUJAH! I would have been absolutely raging if crystelle won, what a relief to see her pouring a metric ton of oil onto her foccacia, how did she not notice it wasn't right?!

So glad Giuseppe won but I do think that was a very bad finale- no-one could make a carrot cake?! The technical was super basic... and the showstopper was okay but just underwhelmed me. They desperately need to shake things up for next year.

I'd rather watch Giuseppe and Jurgen bake on a road trip all around Europe!

Reactions: 37
I thought the quality was dreadful in the final.
Giuseppe deserved to win he was by far the best Baker left in the competition
Crystelle.. I was so so so happy she didn't win. I was overjoyed when I saw all the oil she was adding onto her fociaca.
Chigs - I have gone off him in the last few weeks. Cocky and sly are the vibes I get from him.

Reactions: 23
Chigs - I have gone off him in the last few weeks. Cocky and sly are the vibes I get from him.
I was never sure what to think of him. I never quite warmed to him, but sly is exactly what he is. You could see how cocky he'd become in the last few weeks. Clearly thought he had it in the bag.

Reactions: 15
I was never sure what to think of him. I never quite warmed to him, but sly is exactly what he is. You could see how cocky he'd become in the last few weeks. Clearly thought he had it in the bag.
Chigs didn't really make much of an impact on me for weeks; I actually forgot he was there most of the time until a couple of weeks ago. I suddenly started to notice him and wasn't impressed with his arrogance. Something very off-putting for me. I was also furious he got into the final and Jurgen didn't. :cry:

Reactions: 9
Ah so pleased Giuseppe won!
And that was such a surprise - I thought it would be Chigs, especially after Crystelle's oil disaster 🤭 I wonder if she would've won if it wasn't for that?

Reactions: 10
Imagine if Chigs had been lying and really had been cooking for years. Just jumped onto the whole I started cooking in lockdown to get into the show.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Imagine if Chigs had been lying and really had been cooking for years. Just jumped onto the whole I started cooking in lockdown to get into the show.
That same thought has crossed my mind!!! He's VERY good for someone into baking only a year and a half.... SUSPECT

Reactions: 15
Ah so pleased Giuseppe won!
And that was such a surprise - I thought it would be Chigs, especially after Crystelle's oil disaster 🤭 I wonder if she would've won if it wasn't for that?
I think she would have, unless it was edited later to add more drama. Re Chigs, if I'd only been baking a year, I doubt I know how to make a sweet dough for Belgian buns ( I know what they looked like in Greggs though, so would have rolled them better 😄)

I can't remember who won last year, or any of the winners really apart from Nadiya and Rahul, and if Guiseppe is now permanently living in Italy I doubt he'll be on telly all the time, although I will definitely be buying his and his dad's book! I think even though Crystelle didn't win, C4 will still ask her to front some cooking shows. If she does a Goan cooking show, I'll be there for it!

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Well it was obvious guiseppe was going to win when they cranked up the doom and gloom drama around him- oven door not closed, running behind, cake too warm to decorate etc. They give it away every year doing that.

Chrystelle must have seen the state of her bread when she took it out of the oven so why all the fake shock horror from her.

Poor old Jürgen was robbed. He would never have over cooked Belgium buns.

Reactions: 20
I agree about the negative comments about Chigs. At the beginning I didn’t notice him, then I thought he was cute. By the end , he was too up himself. If he gained all his expertise in 18 months, he must have spent every waking moment doing it. I have been baking for nearly sixty years and consider myself knowledgeable, but I still don’t know everything. Bet it took Mary Berry more than 18 months. I think Lizzie was better than him. Willing to bet she had far more knowledge under her belt.

Reactions: 14
Crystelle poking her clearly raw foccacia with a temperature probe and saying it must be done really confused me. There's no way she got a 190⁰F+ read - unless the absolute bath of oil she cooked it in threw the reading off?
Unfathomable really that she would have gone in to the final with an untested recipe and the mantra "you can't have too much oil in a foccacia", not just because that's obviously silly and against science but also because she is Crystelle, the self-confessed "planner".
It almost looked like she was sabotaging herself.

Reactions: 12
She constantly looks shocked and like she can’t believe any praise she gets or that she’s got something right and then has the nerve to be like WTF HOW did that happen to my foccacia???😡😡 😂😂what an annoying tit
That fake half falling on the ground - grasping her throat and her eyes popping out of her head drives me insane. Thrilled at the oil ball Foccacia fail. By the way - how many Granny’s has she got??? Fake. False.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 20
I quite liked her too! Just found the exaggerated reactions a bit cringe.
Yeah I didn't mind her either. She was a bit OTT but I think people are going OTT on the hatred for her. She's just a woman on a baking show. She's never been on telly before.
Re the temperature probe, Id forgotten she did that. Yes the oil must have thrown the reading off. That makes sense. They've made focaccia before haven't they, in bread week too!

Yeah I didn't mind her either. She was a bit OTT but I think people are going OTT on the hatred for her. She's just a woman on a baking show. She's never been on telly before.
Re the temperature probe, Id forgotten she did that. Yes the oil must have thrown the reading off. That makes sense. They've made focaccia before haven't they, in bread week too!
Quoting myself to add apparently according to some comments on the Times article about this, she is a fund manager for Goldman Sachs, so she works in a very high pressured macho environment. You have to be overconfident and a bit brash in that kind of environment at the best of times, never mind as a woman and a woman of colour surrounded by Hooray Henries.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Such a shame that Jurgen wasn't in the final, but the right person won. I was a little underwhelmed with the challeges, boring to watch. But I became quite emotional when Guiseppe won.

Reactions: 10
Pleased with the result - Giuseppe did deserve the win - I thought Noel did not help matters last night-if he was in my face and I was under that much pressure I would have told him to f### off :LOL: love him usually but it was annoying last night!!! The raw bread was a shocker:LOL:

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.