Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

rosalierae

Chatty Member
Just let him sleep in your bed 🤷🏻‍♀️ People don’t understand the psychology of babies, he is too young to manipulate, he is just a baby wanting the comfort of his mama. I have solid nights sleep because I have bedshared with my babies their whole lives. Now aged 3 my eldest is happy to sleep in her own room all night. Forcing babies to do things before they’re ready may work in the short term but in the long term all sorts of problems can arise. Just my (and science’s) opinion

Reactions: 8

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
Just let him sleep in your bed 🤷🏻‍♀️ People don’t understand the psychology of babies, he is too young to manipulate, he is just a baby wanting the comfort of his mama. I have solid nights sleep because I have bedshared with my babies their whole lives. Now aged 3 my eldest is happy to sleep in her own room all night. Forcing babies to do things before they’re ready may work in the short term but in the long term all sorts of problems can arise. Just my (and science’s) opinion

🙄

Reactions: 6

rather not stop

Chatty Member
Thanks for your input, ladies.

I don't mind co-sleeping for the moment but I want him in his own bed before I go back to work.

I can't leave him to cry, it really just breaks my heart.

Your comments have definitely given me food for thought, thank you. I definitely need to work on a better bedtime routine I think!

Forgot to say - he's asleep in his own cot, 25 minutes now! Haha!

Reactions: 4

rosalierae

Chatty Member
Just to add- the type of controlled crying as described above has been proven to be psychologically damaging to babies. Yes they stop crying eventually- because they have learnt nobody comes. 8 months is so little

What’s the issue? I didn’t jump onto your post with emojis, we are giving our experiences and opinions

Reactions: 2

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
Just to add- the type of controlled crying as described above has been proven to be psychologically damaging to babies. Yes they stop crying eventually- because they have learnt nobody comes. 8 months is so little

What’s the issue? I didn’t jump onto your post with emojis, we are giving our experiences and opinions

The lady is asking for help to get her baby to sleep independently and all you can do is start throwing back at her that she needs to keep letting him sleep in her bed or he’s going to be traumatised for life. How is that helping? Think before you post. She’s asking for help! There is a reason- obviously having the baby sleeping in her arms/in her bed is not working and she’s looking for an alternative. Give her a break. The baby is 8months old, not 8 weeks. The poor woman needs a break, not the co-sleeping police on her case.

You’re an absolute delight aren’t you 😂 glad I’m not your children, touched a nerve haven’t I 😂 maybe you weren’t cuddled enough as a child. have a great day
And you are clearly still sucking on your mummies tit. Bore off.

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
He’s got used to sleeping in your arms or your bed, so you have to break the habit.

Don’t allow him to fall asleep prior to going in the cot.

Keep his room dark and quiet, use a soft night light to provide a slight glow. When he’s ready for bed, put him in the cot and walk out of the room. He will cry, but leave him for maybe 5 minutes. If he’s still crying go back in, don’t talk to him, just lay him down and go out of the room again.

It may take a lot of trips in and out before he settles but he will eventually realise that he’s not getting picked up to sleep in your arms or your bed!!

Once he’s going down to sleep like this you will probably find he stops waking as much during the night because he will have learnt to self settle 👍

SunshineDreamer

Chatty Member
I have 2 year old twins and a newborn. We’ve always been pretty lucky sleep wise and only really had to deal with one bout of sleep regression. At 8 months I don’t think moving in with siblings will help. How dark is the room? Also a white noise machine is s god send.

I think the best thing you can do is try to get him comfortable with his cot. Pop him in and just let him sit there with a toy etc and the best thing you can probably do is not put him to bed asleep. Put him in his cot awake and hopefully he’ll drift off. It might take a bit of work but he’ll get there.

He’s got used to sleeping in your arms or your bed, so you have to break the habit.

Don’t allow him to fall asleep prior to going in the cot.

Keep his room dark and quiet, use a soft night light to provide a slight glow. When he’s ready for bed, put him in the cot and walk out of the room. He will cry, but leave him for maybe 5 minutes. If he’s still crying go back in, don’t talk to him, just lay him down and go out of the room again.

It may take a lot of trips in and out before he settles but he will eventually realise that he’s not getting picked up to sleep in your arms or your bed!!

Once he’s going down to sleep like this you will probably find he stops waking as much during the night because he will have learnt to self settle 👍
This is good advice.
I'd also recommend putting a routine in place to make sure baby is ready for sleep when you put him down and doesn't go too long between naps, causing overtiredness.

I personally follow a routine called "little ones" for my son, it's really good and has lots of information about creating the best sleep environment and the best nap times for your baby. Also a Facebook group to help you! Worth having a look.

rosalierae

Chatty Member
The lady is asking for help to get her baby to sleep independently and all you can do is start throwing back at her that she needs to keep letting him sleep in her bed or he’s going to be traumatised for life. How is that helping? Think before you post. She’s asking for help! There is a reason- obviously having the baby sleeping in her arms/in her bed is not working and she’s looking for an alternative. Give her a break. The baby is 8months old, not 8 weeks. The poor woman needs a break, not the co-sleeping police on her case.

This is help. Some parents just need to hear it’s ok to do something that most don’t consider the ‘norm’ and that in the end there is a good outcome. I am giving my opinion based on my experiences. Don’t know why this is causing you so much trauma. I’m a paediatric doctor so have studied child development and psychology and I’m the mum of three children. What I’m suggesting is what has saved the sanity of everyone in my family.

And you are clearly still sucking on your mummies tit. Bore off.
Good one. Maybe if you were you would be less poisonous to strangers on the Internet 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

This is help. Some parents just need to hear it’s ok to do something that most don’t consider the ‘norm’ and that in the end there is a good outcome. I am giving my opinion based on my experiences. Don’t know why this is causing you so much trauma. I’m a paediatric doctor so have studied child development and psychology and I’m the mum of three children. What I’m suggesting is what has saved the sanity of everyone in my family.

Reactions: 1

BettyCrocker

VIP Member
Good one. Maybe if you were you would be less poisonous to strangers on the Internet 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

Oh yes, of course you’re a doctor. Course you are. 👍

Reactions: 1

rather not stop

Chatty Member
I hope this is in the right section.

I think a lot of posters here are mums. Can anyone help me out with my baby's sleep? My LO is 8 months and will not sleep in his cot. He will happily sleep in my arms or in my bed, but not in his cot. He wakes immediately screaming. And actually, it's not happily, as he wakes every 45 minutes regardless of where he is.

I wonder about moving him into his own room (except it's not, he'll be sharing with an elder sibling) but I don't suppose that will help really?

Any advice gratefully received x