Baby / child models

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm afqter some advice. I signed my child up to a model agency. I had to submit some photographs. After a few days they emailed and said that he had been selected. They stated the next stage was to open an online account, submit up to 10 clear photographs and pay a fee of £75 for a year or £100 for 5 years. They state this is the fee for them to manage an online account and set up contracts etc. Following that the child is invited to a casting where photos will be taken and we and they can get a feel for how the child models and whether it's something they are comfortable with. It goes on to state that your child may not be booked and they can't guarantee work and states their commission which all seems okay.
My question is around the £100 fee. Is this normal? I don't want to be scammed? Obviously I think my child is gorgeous and people stop me on the street to comment on his looks 🥰 but is it usual to pay this fee to set up an account.
Would welcome advice from any parents of children that model

Reactions: 2
As someone who was in the performing world an has friends/family get extra roles in films/ TV an some modelling work, the one thing I was always told was real agency's never ask upfront for money, they get money from the job an then take their cut after paying you, there are so many scams out there an they pull you into believing its all for online portfolios an yet you never get chosen for any work

I'd say hunt around for agency's, it's hard an honestly feels like you are getting nowhere but if it was easy then everyone would be doing it, the best thing you can do is take some photos yourself or even a friend to take them, natural photos is the best an just throw yourself into submitting them to every agency you can find, like I say, it's hard an even professional models will tell you that they got turned away from like 60 agency's before they were picked, you need to remember your probably competing with 2000 other kids an most will already have connections to things like older siblings in stage schools or already in a agency, I myself had that connection from family members an still went through hundreds of auditions for things

Good luck with it if you choose to go for it, it's a hard world to get into

Reactions: 2
As someone who was in the performing world an has friends/family get extra roles in films/ TV an some modelling work, the one thing I was always told was real agency's never ask upfront for money, they get money from the job an then take their cut after paying you, there are so many scams out there an they pull you into believing its all for online portfolios an yet you never get chosen for any work

I'd say hunt around for agency's, it's hard an honestly feels like you are getting nowhere but if it was easy then everyone would be doing it, the best thing you can do is take some photos yourself or even a friend to take them, natural photos is the best an just throw yourself into submitting them to every agency you can find, like I say, it's hard an even professional models will tell you that they got turned away from like 60 agency's before they were picked, you need to remember your probably competing with 2000 other kids an most will already have connections to things like older siblings in stage schools or already in a agency, I myself had that connection from family members an still went through hundreds of auditions for things

Good luck with it if you choose to go for it, it's a hard world to get into
Thank you for this. I had a little Google and it seems to be that a lot of agencies are charging this fee. They state its a small fee but I guess that's subjective... I found an article listing the best agencies in London and all of them charged a fee. I remember people saying a real agency wouldn't charge a fee etc etc years ago but wasn't sure if this had changed.
To be honest I don't have a burning desire for him to model. He's only 3 he doesn't have a clue what he wants to do I just thought as people comment on his cuteness it might a good way to fund his future a little.
Thank you for your advice it's really useful x

Reactions: 1
Thank you for this. I had a little Google and it seems to be that a lot of agencies are charging this fee. They state its a small fee but I guess that's subjective... I found an article listing the best agencies in London and all of them charged a fee. I remember people saying a real agency wouldn't charge a fee etc etc years ago but wasn't sure if this had changed.
To be honest I don't have a burning desire for him to model. He's only 3 he doesn't have a clue what he wants to do I just thought as people comment on his cuteness it might a good way to fund his future a little.
Thank you for your advice it's really useful x
No problem but yeah, none of the agency's I've known off have ever charged fees an that also incudes for portfolios an CVs, you usually send in portfolios or some agencies may help you with that an they send that off to whoever thinks will be intrested an if someone likes it they form a contract with the agency an then money is all dealt with once booked an after it's done its all divided up between you an the agency, tv an film work the same although it's more auditions they find for you an you go along to them

I honestly don't know if covid changed anything, but I'd definitely be hesitate of paying upfront, maybe contact some catalogues an ask what agency they get their models from? I think it used to be in small print in the back of the catalogue years ago what agency's they all used but it might have changed, some might have emails now though as usually the catalogues is where most models get one foot in the door an all you need is that start, he would be spotted for future from those x

• Heart
Don't forget you will need to obtain a performance license for any children under school age who will be taking up any modelling or acting contracts from your local authority

• Wow
Don't forget you will need to obtain a performance license for any children under school age who will be taking up any modelling or acting contracts from your local authority
Wow really! Why? Whats it got to do with the LA?

Wow really! Why? Whats it got to do with the LA?
They are under legal working age, they will need a permit to ensure what they are doing is legal etc.

This will give you all the info you need

• Heart
You shouldn’t have to pay up front.

I know someone who is signed up at Sarah Reynolds agency. He has done both TV ADs and modeling. They have a junior version too.