Autistic (undiagnosed or not) Adults Thread

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No, not necessarily, prior knowledge of whatever IT system you're working on is desirable.
Ooh I’ve got one of these. My industry revolves around two proprietary software companies. I’d love to help people learn the ins and outs of the one I use 🥰

Reactions: 2
What does everyone do for work? I’m looking to branch out
I work in a general admin role. Luckily I only have to speak and interact with the few people I work with most of the time, because I find having to call people, or even speak to people outside of my team, incredibly and embarrassingly challenging 😞

I was wondering; does anyone else have a partner who is on the spectrum at all?
I’ve seen definite traits in mine for many years and am struggling lately with how detached and almost robotic he can be at times.

I was wondering; does anyone else have a partner who is on the spectrum at all?
I’ve seen definite traits in mine for many years and am struggling lately with how detached and almost robotic he can be at times.
OMG yes. There’s a reason why we ended up together and there’s a reason why our kids are autistic too. He isn’t prepared to face up to it though. His father is also blatantly autistic.

Reactions: 3
OMG yes. There’s a reason why we ended up together and there’s a reason why our kids are autistic too. He isn’t prepared to face up to it though. His father is also blatantly autistic.
Yes, I think my OH has family members with the traits too.
We’ve been together a long time and I love him but being with him makes me feel lonely sometimes, and lately I just get incredibly sad thinking about the future.

I have been single for a very very long time. My mental health is better when I am single. Yeah, I do get a bit lonely at times but I find my mind spirals more out of control if I am in a relationship. I am always second guessing everything and there’s always change which makes things harder to handle.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I work in a general admin role. Luckily I only have to speak and interact with the few people I work with most of the time, because I find having to call people, or even speak to people outside of my team, incredibly and embarrassingly challenging 😞
Thank you for sharing! I forget why I always scroll past those positions. I’ll have to give them a second look.

I have been single for a very very long time. My mental health is better when I am single. Yeah, I do get a bit lonely at times but I find my mind spirals more out of control if I am in a relationship. I am always second guessing everything and there’s always change which makes things harder to handle.
I’m in the same boat. I feel like a deer caught in the headlights in relationships. I get very paralyzed. I feel more at ease being on my own.

New to the thread 🙋🏼‍♀️
I was just wondering how many of you that are undiagnosed and on the spectrum, are self employed and how you handle it?
Undiagnosed, not sure if I’m on the spectrum or not but do feel I have some common traits.
I have really good days running my little business (the past few have been amazing) but then others are really overwhelming, I can put some things down to being anxious, but I’m really conscious of how I’m talking, what I’m saying, I also find myself zoning out when working with clients and then I can’t remember what they’ve said to me? Anyone else?

New to the thread 🙋🏼‍♀️
I was just wondering how many of you that are undiagnosed and on the spectrum, are self employed and how you handle it?
Undiagnosed, not sure if I’m on the spectrum or not but do feel I have some common traits.
I have really good days running my little business (the past few have been amazing) but then others are really overwhelming, I can put some things down to being anxious, but I’m really conscious of how I’m talking, what I’m saying, I also find myself zoning out when working with clients and then I can’t remember what they’ve said to me? Anyone else?
I know exactly where you're coming from, I feel exactly the same and have been both employed and self employed. For me, being self employed helped a bit because I could retreat when I felt overwhelmed, but I have the same feelings either way. I gave up self employment 6 months ago and got a regular job but if I'm honest I find it just as difficult and face the same issues!

Reactions: 1
I was diagnosed with what used to be called Asperger's Syndrome (the name is being phased out now for just ASD) at the age of 12. I'm now 26. The diagnosis had a hugely positive outcome for me, as at the time I was in a mainstream school where I couldn't cope, so once I received my diagnosis, I got a place in an autism base in a mainstream school. It was life-changing because I finally could attend school again and made friends who were in the same boat as me.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Hi all!

I am 46 and recently had another bout of Counselling- however this time my counsellor was autistic. Anyway during our sessions he noticed I had a lot of traits from the autism spectrum and we explored these and it appears I have a lot of them.
I was referred to the local "Autism Hub" and have done the initial screening and they have put me on the waiting list for a full assessment - sadly could be up to 2 years!

I am a bit relieved to be honest, I have always felt different, isolated, couldnt understand how other people dealt with things easier than me and always felt misunderstood.

Will sit and properly read through this thread now - just wanted to say hello!

Some of my recent issues are about not being able to get what I need when shopping.

I have certain products, I have the same meal every day and if something is out of stock I go into a huge panic, have even cried in the supermarket as I go blank and dont know what to do! I sometimes buy alternatives but they seem to just mess up my meal!

I have problems socially, either I vanish into the background or turn hyper and think its my job to make everyone laugh and not have awkward silences. I get bored easily and can just zone out or walk off, and am so impatient i finish sentences for people. As you can tell a lot of people struggle to deal with me which makes me more anxious socially.

Clothing drives me mad, cant wear things that are tight or itchy - havent worn any type of bra for about 10 years as they feel like they are crushing me.

Cant stand noises, vibrations, smells and I get the overload when too much is going on. I cant focus on say one person talking if a car goes past, all I can hear is that car.

I have had a lot of trauma in the past 5 years plus am going through the menopause so I think they want to make sure there isnt something else going on, but to be honest I have had most of this since I was a child, the fussy eating especially.

Someone mentioned about researching places you are visiting - I do that, where can I park, where are the loos etc etc.

For all my life I have felt there is something wrong with me, I am not doing life right - whereas now it feels better to know I am just wired differently, say an Apple Mac in a world of Windows PCs. Neither are wrong or faulty but they both process things differently.

Sorry to ramble on!

After reading the whole thread - it seems very common that we all had depression in our lives, mine started in my teens.

I think we must all start to feel different then - especially during puberty when our sense of self, comparisons to others and general kids being dicks to each other sort of makes us feel more isolated and "not normal".

I bet the majority of us our depression was down to that - it such a struggle 24-7 to be analysing, beating yourself up, worrying - it absolutely exhausts me. I suspect when life continues to keep throwing stuff at us we feel we cant deal with we seem to doubt ourselves more and end up spiralling into depression. We see everyone else around us seeming to cope easily with stuff we find upsetting and obviously will blame ourselves for not coping?

I have been on anti-depressants since my teens, and had many bouts of counselling and now my brain is just starting to make sense. It is almost a relief to me.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Hi all!

I am 46 and recently had another bout of Counselling- however this time my counsellor was autistic. Anyway during our sessions he noticed I had a lot of traits from the autism spectrum and we explored these and it appears I have a lot of them.
I was referred to the local "Autism Hub" and have done the initial screening and they have put me on the waiting list for a full assessment - sadly could be up to 2 years!

I am a bit relieved to be honest, I have always felt different, isolated, couldnt understand how other people dealt with things easier than me and always felt misunderstood.

Will sit and properly read through this thread now - just wanted to say hello!

Some of my recent issues are about not being able to get what I need when shopping.

I have certain products, I have the same meal every day and if something is out of stock I go into a huge panic, have even cried in the supermarket as I go blank and dont know what to do! I sometimes buy alternatives but they seem to just mess up my meal!

I have problems socially, either I vanish into the background or turn hyper and think its my job to make everyone laugh and not have awkward silences. I get bored easily and can just zone out or walk off, and am so impatient i finish sentences for people. As you can tell a lot of people struggle to deal with me which makes me more anxious socially.

Clothing drives me mad, cant wear things that are tight or itchy - havent worn any type of bra for about 10 years as they feel like they are crushing me.

Cant stand noises, vibrations, smells and I get the overload when too much is going on. I cant focus on say one person talking if a car goes past, all I can hear is that car.

I have had a lot of trauma in the past 5 years plus am going through the menopause so I think they want to make sure there isnt something else going on, but to be honest I have had most of this since I was a child, the fussy eating especially.

Someone mentioned about researching places you are visiting - I do that, where can I park, where are the loos etc etc.

For all my life I have felt there is something wrong with me, I am not doing life right - whereas now it feels better to know I am just wired differently, say an Apple Mac in a world of Windows PCs. Neither are wrong or faulty but they both process things differently.

Sorry to ramble on!

After reading the whole thread - it seems very common that we all had depression in our lives, mine started in my teens.

I think we must all start to feel different then - especially during puberty when our sense of self, comparisons to others and general kids being dicks to each other sort of makes us feel more isolated and "not normal".

I bet the majority of us our depression was down to that - it such a struggle 24-7 to be analysing, beating yourself up, worrying - it absolutely exhausts me. I suspect when life continues to keep throwing stuff at us we feel we cant deal with we seem to doubt ourselves more and end up spiralling into depression. We see everyone else around us seeming to cope easily with stuff we find upsetting and obviously will blame ourselves for not coping?

I have been on anti-depressants since my teens, and had many bouts of counselling and now my brain is just starting to make sense. It is almost a relief to me.
I just wanted to say I could have written that myself! It was also a Psychologist that picked up on mine. I did wait about 2 years and was diagnosed about 2 years ago. So much makes sense now I read more about how it presents with girls and masking etc.

It makes me look at things in a different light, and the cross over between ASD and my Mental Health is unreal! It’s exhausting 😂.

At least you’re on the pathway now! 💗💗💗

• Heart
What does everyone do for work? I’m looking to branch out
I’m a beauty / massage therapist. I find it quite frustrating that I can’t go back to work because I have had a really bad back and slipped discs since 2015. I have to do something that doesn’t involve too much talking with others, or I burn out and have to quit.

My friend is a career advisor and she thinks I should do a course to become a career adviser.

My diagnosis was a lucky chance. I work predominantly in learning disability nursing with autistic people. I've always loved working with people with autism. One of my colleagues noticed I did hand flapping and noticed other traits so I was tested. It's answered a lot of questions I had , my childhood I preferred to play alone walking up and down my garden path with my pram or talking to the gnomes in my garden. I had little interest in playing with other children. My mum said I was such a contented child happy in my own company . It's only when I moved school it became a problem I was a freak for wanting to play alone. I spent my entire childhood and early adulthood trying to mask and fit in. I couldn't find a job that was right for me either

My diagnosis has answered a lot of questions I had . I don't feel the need to mask as much either.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
How does everyone deal with the workplace?
I can only do certain jobs. I can only do jobs that involve working 1:1 and not in, say a busy office. There is legislation to protect disabled people so you can ask your employer to make adjustments for you.

Reactions: 4