Ashley James #3 Alf’s room lit up like Blackpool Illumination. Is she regretting her little creation?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I am very pro breastfeeding if it works for you, but I actually find her INFURIATING saying about feeding him through his illness because Alfs getting antibodies, babies get sick weather they are fed breastmilk or not! He’s already sick and the breast milk you are giving him now isn’t going to cure him any quicker than formula because he’s already sick! It’s so patronising to those who formula feed. I swear this whole charade is for a reaction.

Reactions: 23
I am very pro breastfeeding if it works for you, but I actually find her INFURIATING saying about feeding him through his illness because Alfs getting antibodies, babies get sick weather they are fed breastmilk or not! He’s already sick and the breast milk you are giving him now isn’t going to cure him any quicker than formula because he’s already sick! It’s so patronising to those who formula feed. I swear this whole charade is for a reaction.
I could of wrote this myself, acts so superior! Plus wasn’t it Tommy that was initially ill so her breast milk wouldn’t of ‘protected’ him anyway
Not sure on the complete science! If anyone cares to elaborate! ☺

Reactions: 2
I swear it seems that just about every instamum that's had a baby in last year has had a baby with tongue tie is it for content....didn't realise it was infectious! 🙄
But surely if Alf had tongue tie, he'd have had trouble latching on and Ashley would have had recurring bouts of mastitis....none of which seem to have been an issue? 🤔

Reactions: 10
I swear it seems that just about every instamum that's had a baby in last year has had a baby with tongue tie is it for content....didn't realise it was infectious! 🙄
But surely if Alf had tongue tie, he'd have had trouble latching on and Ashley would have had recurring bouts of mastitis....none of which seem to have been an issue? 🤔
I know she mentioned it around the same time she was going to try formula on a night, which i am presuming she thinks he won’t take a bottle cos of a ‘tongue tie’ which at his age it’s a bit late in the day to introduce bottles she should be using a free flow or straw cup instead!
It seems so random to check for a tongue tie at nearly 11 (?) months?! He seems to breastfeed no problem (god knows we see enough of it ha) so not exactly sure what she’s checking for?

Reactions: 8
I absolutely don't understand where the tongue tie thing is coming from?! If it doesn't affect his latch (which it obviously doesn't because she's been BFing for almost a year now) then why does it need to be addressed?! Because he isn't taking a bottle? Probably because she never introduced one to him so she could be a martyr about it.

She said the other day that she was depressed - so why not take some time off social media to focus on Alf and her mental health?

Thread title won by @moonshine09 - had to slightly alter to fit.
Summary:

- Regret
- Depression
- Weird comments on Tommys insta posts
- To breastfeed or not to breastfeed?
Oh, you forgot to add that she has her PADI and Tommy doesn't ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I absolutely don't understand where the tongue tie thing is coming from?! If it doesn't affect his latch (which it obviously doesn't because she's been BFing for almost a year now) then why does it need to be addressed?! Because he isn't taking a bottle? Probably because she never introduced one to him so she could be a martyr about it.

She said the other day that she was depressed - so why not take some time off social media to focus on Alf and her mental health?

Oh, you forgot to add that she has her PADI and Tommy doesn't ;)
But if she came off IG , she wouldn't be able to fanny about in her underwear which makes her feel so much better

I could of wrote this myself, acts so superior! Plus wasn’t it Tommy that was initially ill so her breast milk wouldn’t of ‘protected’ him anyway
Not sure on the complete science! If anyone cares to elaborate! ☺
First time posting here (joined recently)👋🏻

The science around BF & immunity is still very much a work in progress but it’s fascinating (if you’re a nerd, like me).

Breast milk will contain antibodies against pathogens (disease-causing organisms) to which the mother has been exposed naturally or via vaccination. That much is straightforward.

Next, as the infant starts to explore his/her environment, initially via crawling, he/she will encounter various new potential germs. Given the mother’s instinct to kiss her child’s head (& hands) she will sample some of what he/she comes across in the environment and antibodies will be produced which will quickly find their way into her milk.

Finally, at the end of each suck, a small amount of the baby’s saliva will back flow into the breast. Antibodies are produced following exposure to this “sample” which the baby will then ingest during future feeds. Research has shown that that there are antibodies in breast milk which aren’t present elsewhere in the mother’s body - but are present in her baby - and this is the hypothesis that has been suggested to explain this.

In Ashley’s situation, as I understand it, Tommy got sick first, then she & Alf got poorly around the same time? Given the highly infectious nature of gastroenteritis and that they all live closely together, it’s likely that Ashley’s body was already mounting an immune response soon after Tommy got sick but even if that didn’t happen, it would have done as soon as Alf got sick thanks to the “back flow”.

What’s important to remember is that formula fed babes (with a normal immune system) will mount their own immune response and recover that way. We all get there.

Edit to remove repeated paragraph 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
First time posting here (joined recently)👋🏻

The science around BF & immunity is still very much a work in progress but it’s fascinating (if you’re a nerd, like me).

Breast milk will contain antibodies against pathogens (disease-causing organisms) to which the mother has been exposed naturally or via vaccination. That much is straightforward.

Next, as the infant starts to explore his/her environment, initially via crawling, he/she will encounter various new potential germs. Given the mother’s instinct to kiss her child’s head (& hands) she will sample some of what he/she comes across in the environment and antibodies will be produced which will quickly find their way into her milk.

Finally, at the end of each suck, a small amount of the baby’s saliva will back flow into the breast. Antibodies are produced following exposure to this “sample” which the baby will then ingest during future feeds. Research has shown that that there are antibodies in breast milk which aren’t present elsewhere in the mother’s body - but are present in her baby - and this is the hypothesis that has been suggested to explain this.

In Ashley’s situation, as I understand it, Tommy got sick first, then she & Alf got poorly around the same time? Given the highly infectious nature of gastroenteritis and that they all live closely together, it’s likely that Ashley’s body was already mounting an immune response soon after Tommy got sick but even if that didn’t happen, it would have done as soon as Alf got sick thanks to the “back flow”.

What’s important to remember is that formula fed babes (with a normal immune system) will mount their own immune response and recover that way. We all get there.

Edit to remove repeated paragraph 🤦🏻‍♀️
Wow, that is absolutely fascinating. So basically no you don’t get antibodies from formula and so breastmilk is better protecting regardless of who gets sick first. I hate the argument of breast or formula, you’ve got to be silly to think formula is a touch on breastmilk. Formula is absolutely necessary if breastmilk is not an option. No right no wrong in any of it but you’ve just stated factually why breastmilk is a better option if available.
I am ex bf at the moment my (nearly) 6 month old and for the first time has caught a bug from my and my toddler but out of all of us he has handled it amazing and it’s shown to barely impact him in comparison to me especially. Is that just because I’m bigger and get like a full on adult version of the virus or would it be partly down to being only breastfed? I am genuinely curious. Thanks for your amazing explanation above!

Reactions: 8
Wow, that is absolutely fascinating. So basically no you don’t get antibodies from formula and so breastmilk is better protecting regardless of who gets sick first. I hate the argument of breast or formula, you’ve got to be silly to think formula is a touch on breastmilk. Formula is absolutely necessary if breastmilk is not an option. No right no wrong in any of it but you’ve just stated factually why breastmilk is a better option if available.
I am ex bf at the moment my (nearly) 6 month old and for the first time has caught a bug from my and my toddler but out of all of us he has handled it amazing and it’s shown to barely impact him in comparison to me especially. Is that just because I’m bigger and get like a full on adult version of the virus or would it be partly down to being only breastfed? I am genuinely curious. Thanks for your amazing explanation above!

Ah thank you for that kind response, it was a bit of an essay but the subject intrigues me. I should point out that I’m not a doctor, although I am a vet and I spend a bit of time reading across the human / medical research press - alongside the more obviously relevant veterinary stuff - as it interests me and sooner or later becomes relevant anyway.
It’s absolutely possible that your 6mth old has a turbocharged immune system currently, due to BF, but there are so many other variables. Sometimes the “dose” of the pathogen makes a difference ie a larger number of organisms can overwhelm the immune system and cause worse symptoms whereas a smaller number could be managed and dealt with more efficiently resulting in a “mild” case. Some bugs are just so virulent (powerful) that even a tiny few can make someone really ill.

With some infections, the order in which people get it seems to make a difference, sometimes it seems to “dilute” down and at other times it “ramps up” and becomes even more horrid.

Massive props to you though for managing to keep up the BF whilst unwell (& looking after a poorly toddler on top of that): it’s really hard to stay hydrated with some bugs and that impacts milk supply and all the tiredness that goes with it!

Reactions: 1
Ah thank you for that kind response, it was a bit of an essay but the subject intrigues me. I should point out that I’m not a doctor, although I am a vet and I spend a bit of time reading across the human / medical research press - alongside the more obviously relevant veterinary stuff - as it interests me and sooner or later becomes relevant anyway.
It’s absolutely possible that your 6mth old has a turbocharged immune system currently, due to BF, but there are so many other variables. Sometimes the “dose” of the pathogen makes a difference ie a larger number of organisms can overwhelm the immune system and cause worse symptoms whereas a smaller number could be managed and dealt with more efficiently resulting in a “mild” case. Some bugs are just so virulent (powerful) that even a tiny few can make someone really ill.

With some infections, the order in which people get it seems to make a difference, sometimes it seems to “dilute” down and at other times it “ramps up” and becomes even more horrid.

Massive props to you though for managing to keep up the BF whilst unwell (& looking after a poorly toddler on top of that): it’s really hard to stay hydrated with some bugs and that impacts milk supply and all the tiredness that goes with it!
It is very interesting! My 2 year old was bf until he was 10 months old and has always coped with illness pretty poorly, but especially since I stopped feeding him. My new baby has lived through us all being ill several times in the past few months and never caught a thing other than a mild cough currently. BF through this bug has been easy lol nothing compared to when we all had gastroenteritis out both ends 🤣 omg the biggest struggle other than child birth. Still managed to feed him while he smiled away through it lol

but yeah, very interesting subject which I feel there is still so much to learn about. So off topic of Ashley here (forgive me tattlers 😆) but another subject that really interests me is blood and how little research there is around blood groups and things like how we should actually be nourishing ourselves to achieve our full potential of health etc. surely a different diet suits different blood groups. But yeah so off topic haha!! Might start my own thread lol

Reactions: 1
All babies get ill regardless of how they are fed and all babies recover regardless of how they are fed.

This is just another reason for Ashley to back track on what she has said and glorify her golden boobs.

feed your kid anyway you want but don’t make out children will be have some sort of miracle immune system from being breast fed as this is escalated what Ashley was doing when she commented about it saving Alf from cancer etc.

everyone that-has been pregnant knows about breastfeeding and the research but this constant comparison is probably why those who can’t breastfeed or simply choose not to breastfeed is why there is such a divide.

back to Ashley please….
Anymore research slide into Ashley’s DMs she would love that

• Heart
Reactions: 11
All babies get ill regardless of how they are fed and all babies recover regardless of how they are fed.

This is just another reason for Ashley to back track on what she has said and glorify her golden boobs.

feed your kid anyway you want but don’t make out children will be have some sort of miracle immune system from being breast fed as this is escalated what Ashley was doing when she commented about it saving Alf from cancer etc.

everyone that-has been pregnant knows about breastfeeding and the research but this constant comparison is probably why those who can’t breastfeed or simply choose not to breastfeed is why there is such a divide.

back to Ashley please….
Anymore research slide into Ashley’s DMs she would love that
Sound a little salty. It’s interesting science about our body’s that should interest you but instead because you hate a particular person or it personally hits a nerve with you assuming you didn’t breastfeed then you’re not open to discussion as that’s all that was; a discussion about the research of breastmilk. You don’t need to be so rude about it.
And this doesn’t mean I advocate Ashley’s boobs because I think feeding a baby breastmilk enhances their immune system, which it does.

Reactions: 5
I think no one can deny that breast milk is incredible for babies, I’m currently pregnant and I really hope to be able to breastfeed as when you look into it, the benefits and antibodies for both you and baby are amazing. However, if it was making me as unhappy and resentful as Ashley then I would look to combi feed or introduce formula earlier as it’s not worth risking your mental health if you’re struggling with it for whatever reason ❤

Reactions: 9
I think no one can deny that breast milk is incredible for babies, I’m currently pregnant and I really hope to be able to breastfeed as when you look into it, the benefits and antibodies for both you and baby are amazing. However, if it was making me as unhappy and resentful as Ashley then I would look to combi feed or introduce formula earlier as it’s not worth risking your mental health if you’re struggling with it for whatever reason ❤
I don't think breastfeeding is actually the reason why she's so resentful - breastfeeding, if you've mastered it, is very easy and efficient, just make sure you introduce a bottle at around 6 weeks so they are able to be fed if you want or need to go out! Also a dummy was a life saver and stops you being used as a human dummy which I think Ashley is!

Reactions: 6
Sound a little salty. It’s interesting science about our body’s that should interest you but instead because you hate a particular person or it personally hits a nerve with you assuming you didn’t breastfeed then you’re not open to discussion as that’s all that was; a discussion about the research of breastmilk. You don’t need to be so rude about it.
And this doesn’t mean I advocate Ashley’s boobs because I think feeding a baby breastmilk enhances their immune system, which it does.
FYI- yes I did breastfeed and had no issues with it- however I never once thought I was above another mum who couldn’t or simply didn’t want, or did I ever think that my child would be healthier than a non breastfed child which some of these comments have most definitely implied and that Ashley herself implies constantly

Reactions: 9
Breastmilk is better for babies than formula because it contains antibodies. That is a fact. However in the round (taking into account mental health, life circumstances, mother’s preference etc) it might not be the best option and that’s obviously fine and no one here is saying it isn’t.

Breastmilk containing antibodies doesn’t mean a bf baby will be healthier than a formula fed baby and it all evens out in the end, but it does give bf babies an advantage against infection. Ashley is correct about that.

Stating this is not judgment against a mother who decides to formula feed as she will have made the best decision for her and her baby with this information.

• Heart
FYI- yes I did breastfeed and had no issues with it- however I never once thought I was above another mum who couldn’t or simply didn’t want, or did I ever think that my child would be healthier than a non breastfed child which some of these comments have most definitely implied and that Ashley herself implies constantly
I definitely have never thought I was above any other mum for any reason, especially the way we feed our kids but it’s a fact that a child’s immune system will be better built whilst they’re being breastfed. There’s no hate, scientists have worked hard to years proving this so would be a huge discredit to them to say otherwise.
I agree Ashley does put across that she is above everybody in general and breastfeeding just gives her more of a motive to put that across.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.