Are reparations a good idea?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I saw a report today that the San Francisco African American Reparations Advisory Committee is proposing a one-time payment of $5 million to each eligible Black resident if they meet the criteria to address "the institutional, City sanctioned harm that has been inflicted upon African American communities."
The criteria is: San Francisco residents must be 18 years or older, have been identifying as Black or African American on public documents for at least 10 years, and meet two of eight additional criteria, including having been born or migrating to the city between 1940 and 1996 as well as showing proof of at least 13 years of residency; Having been incarcerated "by the failed War on Drugs" or being the direct descendant of someone who was; Being a descendant of someone who was enslaved through US chattel slavery before 1865; Having been displaced between 1954 and 1973 or being a descendant of someone who did; Being part of a marginalized group who experienced lending discrimination in the city between 1937 and 1968 or in "formerly redlined" communities within the city between 1968 and 2008, according to the committee's plan.

In the capital of Rhode Island, something similar is happening with $10 million set to be used for initiatives to close the racial wealth and equality gap instead of money going directly to the descendants of slavery.

I was wondering what do you all think, is this a good way to make amends with the past, or will it cause further racial divide? In San Francisco I believe (if I’m reading it right) that you can only get money if you are black, however native Americans suffered greatly and some might say the most at the hands of white people -shouldn’t they get money as well? The scheme in Rhode Island sounds like it would be more beneficial as it goes to improve the communities of all people of colour which might have a longer lasting effect than individual payments.

To read more here is some articles:

I think we'd all like to see a more equitable society the world over, but reparations will not solve the problem and California won't be able to afford it anyway.
There's a huge homeless problem in California at the moment, why not do something about that? Spend the money on helping the homeless (regardless of ethnicity)

Reactions: 6
I think we'd all like to see a more equitable society the world over, but reparations will not solve the problem and California won't be able to afford it anyway.
There's a huge homeless problem in California at the moment, why not do something about that? Spend the money on helping the homeless (regardless of ethnicity)
fully agree. it also can surely only spiral - like said in the OP, what about the indigenous cultures who basically had their land stolen from them? the treatment of asian americans, in particular japanese americans who were interred in camps during and just after the second world war?

it is “noble” to feel guilt and want to right ancestors’ wrongs but after this length of time it’s both an empty and performative gesture. i also worry that it will just be “well you got paid so the conversation is over”.

like you say, there is a HUGE homeless community all over california. use this magical money to help and support them.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Will the African kings who also participated and ensalved some of their own people also be paying reparations?

I don't see the problem with setting up something that aims to help those who need it the most though.

Reactions: 3
I think it would be divisive and people will blame people alive today who had no control over what their ancestors did.

I do agree however that funds should be set up to support the homeless and lowest income families.

Reactions: 4