Apple releases $999 stand

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:

Yel

This is just getting ridiculous now, I've paid the apple tax in the past as many years ago it was 20-30% and the MBP was worth the premium to me.

But as their phone sales fall it's just getting out of control how much they're trying to change to make up for the shortfall. Just about everything they announced has already been done before so nothing new there.

They would have been better off just charging 6k for the monitor rather trying to sell the stand separately and showing just how overpriced it is.
pro-stand.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1
That's ridiculous! I had the iphone for 2 years and as soon as the contract was up I went back to Android, because to upgrade to the next phone would have cost far too much. That stand is definitely worth $999...

I read a great article about this on Gizmodo and as absurd as the price is, it really isn’t for “normal” users, and neither is the screen it’s meant to be used with. It’s for fancy design studios. Still, they could have avoided the backlash by incorporating the stand into the 5 grand monitor price...or maybe they wanted the backlash. All publicity is good publicity?
Not sure, but we’re here discussing it!

Yel

it really isn’t for “normal” users, and neither is the screen it’s meant to be used with. It’s for fancy design studios.
It is part of the pro level range, but much like land rovers lots of people that it's total overkill for will get it as a status symbol.

I think it's interesting to highlight how extortionate their prices are. People booed as it was announced. They're really trying to extract as much as possible since the phone slowdown.

Reactions: 3
I think it's interesting to highlight how extortionate their prices are. People booed as it was announced. They're really trying to extract as much as possible since the phone slowdown.
Even the journalists at the event were shocked!

• Haha
Reactions: 2

Yel

Even the journalists at the event were shocked!
Yep, apple has even taken down loads of videos of that moment with them gasping.

It all makes no sense why they showed the seperate price when almost everyone will buy it with the monitor.

The range is overpriced, but the stand is something else.

Even worse is apple seem to match $£ so a $999 phone we would get charged £999 for. They’ve been doing it for years but I still have everything Apple as it’s what I’m used to now.

Reactions: 2
Used to love Apple but they've been shite since Jobs died. I switched over to Android years ago and would never go back. Android / Google is lightyears ahead of Apple.

Even worse is apple seem to match $£ so a $999 phone we would get charged £999 for. They’ve been doing it for years but I still have everything Apple as it’s what I’m used to now.
There’s probably an import tax thought that accounts for the currency difference. I wish they matched the prices where I live, which dollar to my currency being 28:1, I’d end up paying 28 bucks (1000 local) lol countries like Brazil that have massive import tax struggle the most. It’s almost double the price there.

There’s probably an import tax thought that accounts for the currency difference. I wish they matched the prices where I live, which dollar to my currency being 28:1, I’d end up paying 28 bucks (1000 local) lol countries like Brazil that have massive import tax struggle the most. It’s almost double the price there.
Import tax from where though? They make the phones In China don’t they? So to import to the us would have an import tax, just as to the uk would. $999/£999 should be more like $999/£700 or something.

Just always feels a bit off.

Import tax from where though? They make the phones In China don’t they? So to import to the us would have an import tax, just as to the uk would. $999/£999 should be more like $999/£700 or something.

Just always feels a bit off.
Sure, but it has something to do with the company that owns it location. When I lived in Brazil, everything that wasn’t made and owned locally, was 80% overpriced. Things like Zara, for instance, are made in third world countries or similar, and they were still immensely overpriced (100$ for a viscose T-shirt in 2013). People would buy alcohol, clothes and appliances in the US and Europe, and, including often a 900$ plane ticket, it still came up cheaper than buying all of that locally. Including apple.