Anyone find looking young a curse?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So glad this thread exists!

I'm early 20s and was flying recently and the woman at check-in thought I was 13. My 15 year old brother was next to me, felt great hearing apparently I look younger than someone in secondary school šŸ˜¬
I also get it a lot from my friends and coworkers, I remember someone saying to me 'I thought I looked young until I met you... '
My parents keep telling me I'll reap the benefits when I'm older (my dad's coworkers thought he was late 30s when he turned 50) but it's frustrating in the moment.

Reactions: 1
I'm 37 and often get mistaken for early 30s. I think because I'm quite "childish" and have a 2 year old, people assume I'm that age. Whereas at work, most people my age have teenagers so have been doing "responsible grown up stuff" for years already and makes me the anomaly.

The postman rang the bell today as he had a letter my husband had to sign for. As I opened the door he asked if my dad was home.

šŸ™„
I get it. I look young, Iā€™m 155cm which also doesnā€™t help. Still f*cking frustrating, annoying, embarrassing. Iā€™m 32 years old šŸ„“ I feel like Iā€™ll never be taken seriously

Reactions: 4
Bit of a rant incoming - been celebrating my 40th and people have just been telling me they don't think I look 40 rather than saying happy birthday

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Bit of a rant incoming - been celebrating my 40th and people have just been telling me they don't think I look 40 rather than saying happy birthday
Annoying isnā€™t it. Iā€™m 44 and look more like late 20s early 30s. I am paranoid people think Iā€™m a bit ā€˜mutton dressed as lambā€™.

Annoying isnā€™t it. Iā€™m 44 and look more like late 20s early 30s. I am paranoid people think Iā€™m a bit ā€˜mutton dressed as lambā€™.
It's so annoying at the best of times but when someone is talking about a recent or upcoming birthday surely the obvious response is to wish them a happy birthday.

Iā€™m 27 and got IDā€™ed in Tesco for paracetomal. Started a new job a few months ago and mentioned my sonā€¦ someone asked what itā€™s like being a teen Mum šŸ˜¬ I was like er I donā€™t know Iā€™m 27 šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Oh ok. One time I did get annoyed when I was accompanying my other half at supermarket. He was buying himself beer, and they asked for my ID. I wasn't the one buying it and i didn't have my ID with me (we were mid 20s). They refused to sell it to him. I've never worked in retail so I don't know the rules, but I didn't realise you couldn't buy alcohol if accompanied by someone underage..
In the UK, the accepted rule for cashiers serving people wanting age-protected products in supermarkets is to always ID all customers in groups (from groups of 2 upwards - even obvious partners) where the cashier is not absolutely certain that both/all of the group are definitely over 25. It is not unheard of, for example, for one of the group who has ID to attempt to buy alcohol for one or more under-aged members of the group not possessing ID - known as purchase by proxy; hence the rule that everyone in the group needs to show their ID or no sale.

Got idd at the bar at Twickenham and the guy went oh jesus christ when I handed it over.
I'm 30 šŸ˜¢ He told me I don't look as old as that!

I got asked for I.d in the supermarket today cos I bought wine in my weekly shop.
I thought I must now look old enough not to be asked any more because they usually just press the yes without checking.

I really thought I had outgrown looking young. The last time I got IDā€™d for alcohol I was 26.
But a few weeks ago I was at my motherā€™s doctor with her, chatting to the receptionist. She, the receptionist, was talking about her son and how he was in his last year of school when Covid first hit. How it was hard for him with starting college during lockdown and trying to get out into the world etc.
And then she says to my mam ā€˜Iā€™m sure your daughter was the sameā€™

I was 27 when Covid hit šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³

• Wow
I really thought I had outgrown looking young. The last time I got IDā€™d for alcohol I was 26.
But a few weeks ago I was at my motherā€™s doctor with her, chatting to the receptionist. She, the receptionist, was talking about her son and how he was in his last year of school when Covid first hit. How it was hard for him with starting college during lockdown and trying to get out into the world etc.
And then she says to my mam ā€˜Iā€™m sure your daughter was the sameā€™

I was 27 when Covid hit šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³
I feel like I'm never getting past it and that I'm never seen as being adult enough.

It knocks my confidence and affects my self image. I'd been feeling better about myself lately too, but since the other day I've had a set back .

• Heart
I'm early 30s and usually still get IDed a lot, but I was at a festival recently and getting a drink at the bar, they asked me to take my sunglasses off instead of asking ID and just looked at me and said "ok" :LOL: guess my crows feet gives me away now!!

I feel like I'm never getting past it and that I'm never seen as being adult enough.

It knocks my confidence and affects my self image. I'd been feeling better about myself lately too, but since the other day I've had a set back .
I can totally relate to this. I also think it massively affects my credibility at work with colleagues I donā€™t know since I look so young still (I have a senior position, keep having to prove myself).
Plus I have 2children and when weā€™re out people stare, probably judging me as a ā€œteen momā€. Iā€™m 32

• Heart
Just discovered this thread and find it quite annoying looking younger when Iā€™m trying to get people to take me seriously, especially at work/uni. Iā€™ve found that since starting uni and entering the adult world lots of people think I need babying because I donā€™t look my age. The worst is when people my age or younger talk down to me!
One of the staff members at my first placement school consistently talked to me as if I was one of the kids and once wouldnā€™t let me into the staff room to warm up a heat pack. Iā€™d understand being mistaken for a student in a secondary school but this was a primary school!

Almost as bad as looking young, I find, is sounding young. Despite being a middle aged woman I still have a young sounding voice which hasnā€™t aged over the years. I have lost count of the times I have been ā€˜spoken down toā€˜ on the phone by people who no doubt assume that Iā€™m at least three decades younger than I am & adopt a really patronising or condescending tone with me. On the odd occasion that they actually find out my date of birth their attitude changes completely and they no longer talk to me as if Iā€™m lacking in any sort of sense, intelligence or wisdom.
*Edited to remove superfluous words

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
In the UK, the accepted rule for cashiers serving people wanting age-protected products in supermarkets is to always ID all customers in groups (from groups of 2 upwards - even obvious partners) where the cashier is not absolutely certain that both/all of the group are definitely over 25. It is not unheard of, for example, for one of the group who has ID to attempt to buy alcohol for one or more under-aged members of the group not possessing ID - known as purchase by proxy; hence the rule that everyone in the group needs to show their ID or no sale.
Some of them are ridiculously OTT with it though.
I remember being in the supermarket with my dad as a kid, I mustā€™ve been about 13/14 (so very obviously a child), and he was browsing the beer section jobsworth comes up and starts asking him if both of us had ID and saying she wouldnā€™t be able to sell it to him unless I did!
It was so cringe because they had a bit of back and fourth where my dad was like are you seriously not going to let me buy beer coz my kid is with me? Then her manager then turned up and called her off and let my dad buy it in the end.