Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
I’ve been doing it for a couple of years and I stay teetotal up til around Easter, no particular reason other than I’m a bit of a lush the other 9 months and like to give my body a rest.

Reactions: 7

urghwhy

My boyfriend and I don't actually drink alcohol, but we have opted to quit drinking fizzy drinks and starting this month.

I know that isn't the same as alcohol, but we do rely on fizzy drinks far too much and I used to always have a headache before bed 😅

Reactions: 6

Strangewords

I find it so bizarre that people have to make an effort not to drink 😳
Really?? It's a highly addictive drug so it's not that bizarre...

Hubby has been sober for 2 years now and I'm 34 weeks pregnant so Jan is defo dry for us. I'm seriously thinking of quitting drinking for good anyway as its never done me any good!

Reactions: 6

CosmicCreepers

Chatty Member
No but I'm cutting down. I'm only 19 and have been on the verge of becoming an alcoholic. So far I've not drank since New Years Day...I'm meant to be going on a night out on the 13th so trying to stay sober till then. It's so hard though and I know thats bad to say that :cry:

Reactions: 4

Strangewords

Not now but earlier this year, I don't want to put that label on myself as it is a serious problem and not to be taken lightly. It was certainly becoming a habit, and as someone whose friends love to drink, it can be the social pressure that can make you drink so much.
There is a big sliding scale of 'problems with alcohol' so labels like 'alcoholic' are often not helpful as that label comes with a whole heap of assumptions and stereotypes and thoughts of what makes someone a 'proper alcoholic'

Its very sensible to be really honest with yourself at this point and think about whether you may be physically addicted (as you may have to go through withdrawal if you stop and this should be managed to do safely). If you're not physically addicted then spend some time thinking about the reasons you drink and whether you actually enjoy it - I know with me a had some counselling and that was part of me realising that I was actually terrified of doing anything socially without drinking to the point where I basically almost never have! I really didn't think it was that bad until I properly examined it, but my relationship with alcohol has always been pretty unhealthy. I have never been addicted to it but the way I have always used it is not healthy and I find it extremely hard to stop at a sensible amount once I've started!

Good luck x

Reactions: 4

Titntat

VIP Member
I've got about 10 bottles of wine for Christmas. I just cant leave them alone. Also alot of bottles of beer and chocolates. Zero will power here 😫
Have to say both times I've been pregnant I've not had an issue giving the wine up, I'm just a greedy chuff with zero will power.

Reactions: 3

DoodlePoodle

VIP Member
Not me!!! 😂

We are trying to do a “no spend January” partly because....duhhh it’s January! And partly just trying to be more mindful about spending on crap we don’t absolutely need.

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
My Husband has been teetotal for 3 years since a health scare , I buy non alcoholic beer from Wise Bartender if anyone is looking for a substitute, there are some great tasting ones that hit the spot but I don't think you can beat Becks Blue .

It’s a shame that non alcoholic wine is still rank and don’t get me started on Seedlip 😑.

Princesspinky

I'm not , my boyfriend is but I give it 2 weeks max , that's how long he lasted for go sober for October 🤨🙄😂

• Haha
We’re doing it because we just can’t help ourselves usually. Never just a “couple of drinks” with our friends. We just need to do it to try and be a bit healthier, have a clearer head and save a bit of money! We’ve decided to hibernate and binge on Netflix.

Reactions: 2

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
No but I'm cutting down. I'm only 19 and have been on the verge of becoming an alcoholic. So far I've not drank since New Years Day...I'm meant to be going on a night out on the 13th so trying to stay sober till then. It's so hard though and I know thats bad to say that :cry:
When you say on the verge of alcoholism , how much are you drinking because, and I’m saying this with kindness , if you are at that point , staying dry in January is the least of your worries.

I find it so bizarre that people have to make an effort not to drink 😳
There are a lot of people who wish it could be easy to decline a drink but sadly it isn’t the case.

Emoji

Chatty Member
No I’m not doing it. Usually I rarely drink but I’ve had a few gins daily since before Christmas! I’ll do dry February instead 😄

• Haha

AmberSpyglass

VIP Member
Ah thanks! My friends are just too social and I live in a house share with 6 people that all LOVE a drink so I’m being super antisocial and avoiding them ... I think I need to get a hobby 🤦🏼‍♀️
I can see why you’re struggling, that would test any of us 😁. You can only give it your best shot but starting a new job is a good incentive to avoid the wine for a week or two at least , good luck!

• Heart