Anybody ever had an MRI scan?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry if this isn’t the type of post that’s allowed on here but I’m not part of any other forums to ask. Just been called in for an MRI scan on Wednesday and I’m a bit apprehensive of what to expect. They’ve said not to eat 6 hours before but that’s all I know. It was a last minute decision by my consultant so I’ve not had anything else explained to me. Anyway, as you can probably tell by my waffling I’m a bit nervous.

Try not to worry about it, you just have to lye there and take off any jewellery and it's totally painless.

I imagine it's the reason for the scan that is worrying you? They are often very cautious and want to rule something out.

A good positive attitude helps everything and worrying endlessly can manifest in physical issues. Avoid thinking of the worst possible scenario - easier said than done I know!

Reactions: 1
Try not to worry about it, you just have to lye there and take off any jewellery and it's totally painless.

I imagine it's the reason for the scan that is worrying you? They are often very cautious and want to rule something out.

A good positive attitude helps everything and worrying endlessly can manifest in physical issues. Avoid thinking of the worst possible scenario - easier said than done I know!
Thank you for replying. No, I know the reason for them needing the scan so that’s fine with me. I think it’s just a fear of the unknown. I feel a bit easier now knowing it’s painless. I was just expecting the worst. Thank you.

In the past 3 years I’ve had 8 MRI scans, and in the last 5 months of last year 17 xrays and 7 cat scans.

I have had my head, spine, shoulder, hips, knees scanned.

MRI is the best option, because it’s 0 radiation. It’s completely painless and you wear some headphones that they will play music through as the machine is a little loud.

You will lay on a platform that will be moved into the doughnut (as I like to call it), which houses the magnets that do the scan.

You just lay there and each scan can take between 5 to 20 minutes depending on where it is. They will do a few scans most likely. You just need to make sure you lay still and breathe steady!

They will also give you a little button thing to hold in case you need to stop. Ideally you don’t want to press this because it will ruin the scan but you will be totally in control!

Wear some comfy clothes that have no metal in, and take your jewellery off before you go so you don’t loose anything.

You may feel a little tingling over your body, depending on where you are having the scan. Don’t worry about this, it’s completely normal!

Please don’t worry about the scan!

Sorry if this isn’t the type of post that’s allowed on here but I’m not part of any other forums to ask. Just been called in for an MRI scan on Wednesday and I’m a bit apprehensive of what to expect. They’ve said not to eat 6 hours before but that’s all I know. It was a last minute decision by my consultant so I’ve not had anything else explained to me. Anyway, as you can probably tell by my waffling I’m a bit nervous.
I've only ever had a CT scan, but a friend has had an MRI and like yourself, she was also quite nervous/apprehensive. It can vary, but hers was about 30min and it was fine! The machine makes noises as it takes photographs, so try to keep your mind occupied to distract yourself from it! When I had my CT scan, I thought of my next trip (Paris) and all the things I wanted to do there, including food! It really helped me stay still and time go faster.
Remember that you can still have water in that 6h period, or else you'd be dehydrated!
Maybe you can also do something that helps you relax on the day itself? A walk somewhere quiet, listening to music or whatever you find relaxing?

I've only ever had a CT scan, but a friend has had an MRI and like yourself, she was also quite nervous/apprehensive. It can vary, but hers was about 30min and it was fine! The machine makes noises as it takes photographs, so try to keep your mind occupied to distract yourself from it! When I had my CT scan, I thought of my next trip (Paris) and all the things I wanted to do there, including food! It really helped me stay still and time go faster.
Remember that you can still have water in that 6h period, or else you'd be dehydrated!
Maybe you can also do something that helps you relax on the day itself? A walk somewhere quiet, listening to music or whatever you find relaxing?
Oh that’s a good idea, thank you. Re decorating the bedrooms this summer so that’s a good distraction. The scan is at 8am and I live a 45 min drive away so I think on the morning of I’ll still be half asleep luckily.

In the past 3 years I’ve had 8 MRI scans, and in the last 5 months of last year 17 xrays and 7 cat scans.

I have had my head, spine, shoulder, hips, knees scanned.

MRI is the best option, because it’s 0 radiation. It’s completely painless and you wear some headphones that they will play music through as the machine is a little loud.

You will lay on a platform that will be moved into the doughnut (as I like to call it), which houses the magnets that do the scan.

You just lay there and each scan can take between 5 to 20 minutes depending on where it is. They will do a few scans most likely. You just need to make sure you lay still and breathe steady!

They will also give you a little button thing to hold in case you need to stop. Ideally you don’t want to press this because it will ruin the scan but you will be totally in control!

Wear some comfy clothes that have no metal in, and take your jewellery off before you go so you don’t loose anything.

You may feel a little tingling over your body, depending on where you are having the scan. Don’t worry about this, it’s completely normal!

Please don’t worry about the scan!
Oh good, I like the panic button. I’m ok usually with small spaces. Thank you for the reply.

Oh that’s a good idea, thank you. Re decorating the bedrooms this summer so that’s a good distraction. The scan is at 8am and I live a 45 min drive away so I think on the morning of I’ll still be half asleep luckily.

Oh good, I like the panic button. I’m ok usually with small spaces. Thank you for the reply.

Just remember it’s a tunnel, so while it might look small you aren’t ‘trapped’at all. The tunnel is not dark at all either. I actually find it quite comforting being in the space. It’s like a hug.

Also, I forgot to add the room they have the machines in are often quite cold as the machine runs hot and it stops it from overheating. You can ask for a blanket to keep you warm :) and the operator if the machine will speak to you through the headphones and tell you what is happening!

Just remember it’s a tunnel, so while it might look small you aren’t ‘trapped’at all. The tunnel is not dark at all either. I actually find it quite comforting being in the space. It’s like a hug.

Also, I forgot to add the room they have the machines in are often quite cold as the machine runs hot and it stops it from overheating. You can ask for a blanket to keep you warm :) and the operator if the machine will speak to you through the headphones and tell you what is happening!
Thank you, you’ve been so helpful 😊

Din’t be worrying, it’s all fine, it’s just trying to keep completely still was the hardest for me! 🌸

@MontyMoo, I hope you're okay. You've been through so many exams! [emoji51]

I’m great now! Almost died last year, spent July to November in hospital but sent a few organs to the biological waste disposal unit and now my body is no longer self destructing!

Still might be getting rid of another organ but it has still stick around for 6 more months before that can happen 😒

I also had to have a lumbar puncture done in 2017 which I was tit scared for, but actually it was a breeze.

I’ve been through so much medical tit in the past 3 years nothing scares me anymore. Heck, when I had my major operation in November I got so fed up waiting for the porters to come get me to take me down for the operation I walked to the theater myself 😂

Reactions: 3
I’d recommend a little treat to look forward to afterwards like a buying a new book, going for a cuppa somewhere or cinema that evening. Glad you’ve had a lot of responses here as the unknown is always a little scary but you’ll be fine while you’re having it done, I’ve found the staff for MRI/CT etc. scans lovely and reassuring and they always have your comfort in mind. Good luck.

Reactions: 2
@MontyMoo, OH MY GOODNESS, are you superhuman? [emoji15]
It sounds like you've been through so much, but you totally seem like a trooper and like you kept your spirits up all throughout! [emoji122][emoji122]

@Frensham90, I'm certain everything will go smoothly and please keep us posted as we're all rooting for you! [emoji847][emoji847]

@MontyMoo, OH MY GOODNESS, are you superhuman? [emoji15]
It sounds like you've been through so much, but you totally seem like a trooper and like you kept your spirits up all throughout! [emoji122][emoji122]

@Frensham90, I'm certain everything will go smoothly and please keep us posted as we're all rooting for you! [emoji847][emoji847]

The amount of radiation I’ve had just last year alone (1 ct is about the equivalent to 400 xrays), i would say yes, at this point I am super human.

Soon to be a new Marvel character 😂

I’m great now! Almost died last year, spent July to November in hospital but sent a few organs to the biological waste disposal unit and now my body is no longer self destructing!

Still might be getting rid of another organ but it has still stick around for 6 more months before that can happen 😒

I also had to have a lumbar puncture done in 2017 which I was tit scared for, but actually it was a breeze.

I’ve been through so much medical tit in the past 3 years nothing scares me anymore. Heck, when I had my major operation in November I got so fed up waiting for the porters to come get me to take me down for the operation I walked to the theater myself 😂
Oh gosh! You’re so brave. Glad you’re not self destructing anymore! Hopefully mine won’t be either soon 😆.

MRIs are fine. Would rather have an MRI over the Dentist any day! Just remember that the loud noises are normal and usually the people talk you you about how long left etc.

Hiya, I personally haven't had one, but my 14 year old daughter has had 2 in the past year so I've been with her. You have to take off any thing metal before going in.so jewelry,and bra It's very noisy and I had ear defenders given to me! I swear the bangs and other noises started to sound like words and picked out patterns in them! After the first one we knew what it would be like so this is what she focused on, hearing rythms and words, she said it helped her keep still and got her through each one. Some lasted for 2 minutes, some were longer and 3-4 mins They speak quite regularly to you as well, letting you know what's happening and when the next one is coming. My daughter's ones were for swollen optic nerves ( nothing nasty found) and took about 40 minutes.

In the space of a year (last year actually) I had 4 Mri scans. Both with, and without contrast. Didn't feel the needle go in at all. The last one I had I was in the machine fully closed off for over an hour. Would have been relaxing if it wasn't for my restless legs syndrome and muscle twitch/spasms. It can be hard to keep still for 90 minutes but I don't find them scary. The noise is annoying but you end up getting used to it. When they take a scan of your brain you don't fully on in, but they do put a face guard over you and that can be a little claustrophobic but not too bad!. It's just rather boring depending on how long you are in it of course! I can be anxious but this wasn't ever something that set me off and there is a button to press if you are scared, if that's reassuring.

They played music during hubbys MRI. He was even told in his letter that he could bring his own cd.

All done 😊 thanks everyone for the advice and for taking time to reply. It was fine, only issue was pins and needles in my hand after but they said that’s because I’d been so tense during the scan now my body was now relaxing again. I had some dye put in a cannula about 10 mins before the end of my scan.

Reactions: 2