Any advice on how to save money etc when buying a kitchen?

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My husband is a joiner, he hates wren kitchens he finds Howdens so much better plus they price match most of the time.

Reactions: 3
If you know anyone who works in the trade with an account a howdens I'd get one from their. My fil gets alot of business for howdens, the have sales in October. Because of his connection they did us a full kitchen inc appliances for under (basically October sale price)
Also will be cheaper getting it fitted as they dont come flat packed.
They come to your house measure up. Do a design then you can go in to alter bits you want.
Ordered mine a few weeks ago, awaiting delivery next week!

Reactions: 1
When we got out new kitchen we researched Wren and they did not have good feedback at all. There were hash tags and Facebook groups about them. I think they are expensive too. We went to a local company and we got much more for our money. If getting integrated appliances we found it cheaper to get our own.

When we got out new kitchen we researched Wren and they did not have good feedback at all. There were hash tags and Facebook groups about them. I think they are expensive too. We went to a local company and we got much more for our money. If getting integrated appliances we found it cheaper to get our own.
Same here! We went local in the end, and the service was a million times better than a chain.

I bought all my appliances myself, found ao.com and John Lewis the best for service and delivery. Argos definitely the worst!!

Wren talked the talk! They welcome you & sell everything really well. They came out 3 times to measure up. We said we'd use our own fitter....to save £3k . We paid a deposit & just about to sign on the dotted line and the SA said....your fitter has to check these measurements, to check everything is right & wren except no responsibility for mistakes . We got the deposit back. 3 frigging times they came to measure so why would it be wrong ??? Anyway we went to a chap in Lichfield... fantastic service from a family run business.

Wren also scewed up my friends kitchen .

Stay well clear.
They're nothing but an absolute shambles. We went to a local company too, so much better and the pride in their work was second to none.
If you've not yet committed...DONT!!

Reactions: 2
For under 5k that ment to say.
Also appliances direct have really reasonable products. Not sure on service tho.

Check out boots for appliances too as you get the points and they were cheaper than AO for 2 of our items

Sack Wren off out of it.

hire a local joiner.
Buy the kitchen units/appliances/flooring etc yourself from local independent suppliers, haggle and get them to give you best price etc. Shop around. Buy last years stock or stuff that is perfect but that they are wanting rid off.

Reactions: 2
Go local rather than a big chain every time. We had our fairly large kitchen done fifteen years ago by a small local family run business for £7k, other bigger suppliers offering similar quality quoted well in excess of £10k at that time. We chose units with solid wood doors, and good quality appliances and fitting were included in that price. I would quite like to change it now as styles and my taste have changed but it still looks good as new and seems a waste!

We had a wren kitchen and our builder fit it, in the end I'm happy with it, I didn't buy their handles, tap or worktops. I'm very pleased with it, but I wouldn't buy again wren were a complete nightmare to deal with, completely inflexible, my fitter wasn't happy with some of the larder cupboards we had to order new replacements faulty etc, went on for months. My neightbour bought wren, di issues and fitted himself. My friend went to wren got free plans then bought from howden. I have a rental flat again my fitter fitted a howden kitchen and really very pleased no faults or issues to deal with.

Any advice on how to save money etc when buying a wren kitchen?
Don’t buy Wren!
Most trades people say they are overpriced and they don’t rate them at all.

Have you looked at diykitchens? I cant give any personal feedback and they won’t plan it for you (use your Wren plan!) but they look reasonable.

Completely second DIY kitchens! quality is great and affordable. We did ours back in October. Luckily my partner is very hands on and could plan everything down to the finest degree himself and just ordered everything and found a local fitter with the best reviews on mybuilder.
Everything is delivered solid so that saves your fitter half the labour!

We bought a Howdens kitchen, I opened an account myself as trade it’s easy to do. They offer supposedly upto 75% discount but I think that’s the price anyway. They are very good and come to your house and design it for you and 5 years in the kitchen still looks great. We had a couple of missing pieces that were rectified quickly. If you have the time to shop around yourself online for all the appliances you will save a bomb especially now with so many discounts available. Also bought the knobs and handles elsewhere to save money. Also always check for any voucher codes to save extra. Also we bought solid oak worktops from Worktop Express (used a voucher code). I reckon in all we saved a fair few hundred if not thousand pounds!! Although we did fit it all ourselves bar the range cooker which needed an electrician.

Had a few kitchens from Ikea was pleased with them but it’s a mare having to drive back and forth if something is missing. Wren I found too expensive likewise Howdens the discounts not so great now.
The biggest surprise has been B&Q really pleased with this one Would definitely use them again and you get a good discount. If you haven’t got a business account with them just ask your plumber or carpenter to use their trade card. The only snag in the process were the wankers who delivered it. The fuckers wanted to leave it all on the pavement citing health and safety which was a load of bull.