Anti depressants

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hi, was looking for a bit of advice! I have just started taking Sertraline and was wondering if anyone else has and what the side effects are? We are going to start trying for a baby in September wondered if this would effect it?

Hi! I am not a doctor, but in my experience I had significant weight gain. I felt better while taking it though! And I was advised by my doctor to stop taking any SSRI medication before trying for a baby. I hope you start to feel better soon, sending love and hugs.

Reactions: 5
I put on weight too. Maybe because I felt lethargic most of the time and not much exercise.

Reactions: 1
I’ve just come off mine again for the second time. Felt so much more anxious and paranoid being on them. Experienced the lethargicness too. No motivation to do anything. Hope they help you though.

I took citalopram when I was pregnant with my daughter but stopped at 6 months because I felt so much better (think pregnancy balanced me out). My GPs advice then was that if the risk to your mental health is high, then you should continue taking them. It’s best to ask your GP as they can tell you what the possible issues may be for each type and then prescribe you the one with the lowest risks for the baby.

I switched to Setraline last year (Citalopram was no longer working for me - I went back on them after my daughter was born) and I’ve just stopped taking Sertraline for the same reasons as above, I put on weight and developed chronic insomnia coupled with a desire to do absolutely nothing. I have never felt so tired and disconnected. I’ve also never suffered from anxiety before, but did whilst taking S. They just didn’t work for me.

However, I know others who they work brilliantly for so I think it’s just down to how they affect you personally. I hope they help you & if you are worried about taking them when pregnant you can always discuss this with your GP first. My daughter seems unaffected (she’s 10 now) apart from some serious attitude & acting like she’s 21 obvs ?

Reactions: 3
Meds can help short-term, but think it could benefit to tackle the issues with CBT, eating healthy and exercise.
There's online CBT, for example; https://llttf.com/

But of course that's depending on the root cause of the issues.

Reactions: 4
I came off Sertraline a couple of months ago after being on it for just over a year. It was absolutely horrendous coming off it. The worst thing I've ever experienced mental-health-wise, I think. I hated everyone, even the people closest to me, and was so angry and felt crazy.

The reason I came off it was that I still felt suicidal while taking it so I decided I didn't want to be consuming strong medication if I was still going to feel suicidal. I was also having really horrible night sweats.

Since being off it, I've noticed that my obsessions and compulsions are worse, which may mean that the meds were helping me a bit with that issue, but I don't think it helped my depression.

I think you have to make your own experiences really and I wouldn't tell you to not try Sertraline, but be careful and if you decide to come off it, do it 5 times more slowly/gradually than you think you should.

No idea about getting preggers!

Reactions: 2
Hi, was looking for a bit of advice! I have just started taking Sertraline and was wondering if anyone else has and what the side effects are? We are going to start trying for a baby in September wondered if this would effect it?
I’ve been on it for 7 weeks as a milder alternative to fluoxetine which made me feel emotionally numb and like a zombie as well as making my appetite insatiable so I piled on weight.

When I came off the fluoxetine,I was in bad shape. Couldn’t tolerate being around anyone after having to put a face on it at work all day and was riddled with anxiety and irritability. I literally couldn’t think straight and was overwhelmed by the smallest tasks. The sertraline has helped and I’m now coping with day to day life,not waking up feeling “the fear” BUT... I now feel I struggle to wake up at all. It’s lovely to be able to sleep but I am so groggy in the morning it’s unbelievable and at the weekend I just want to sleep on - not good cos as well as working,I’m doing a degree and finding being productive so hard.

I have other issues - I got diagnosed with early menopause by my GP and put on HRT and was doing great on it then seen the gynaecologist who had me come of it for 6 months to give me a proper diagnosis as the GP had jumped the gun. My depression and anxiety symptoms were triggered by my hormones and I’m now back on HRT but struggling to get back to myself.

I don’t know about taking it in pregnancy but wishing you luck with whatever you do.

BUT... I now feel I struggle to wake up at all. It’s lovely to be able to sleep but I am so groggy in the morning it’s unbelievable and at the weekend I just want to sleep on - not good cos as well as working,I’m doing a degree and finding being productive so hard.

This!! That’s why I stopped taking them Ork. I’ve been off them for a week and for the first Saturday in a long time I’m actually awake! I was just exhausted all the time & then developed insomnia too. I’m not sure what the answer is but Sertraline did not agree with me at all 😳

This!! That’s why I stopped taking them Ork. I’ve been off them for a week and for the first Saturday in a long time I’m actually awake! I was just exhausted all the time & then developed insomnia too. I’m not sure what the answer is but Sertraline did not agree with me at all 😳
It agrees with me better than fluoxetine. Our friend died in October at 41 leaving behind 3 kids and I couldn’t even shed a single tear when I was on that. I’m in home renovating hell just now and actually got a bit tearful this morning so at least I can still feel on the sertraline thus far.

I cope with the sleepiness on weekdays as I need to do the school run and get my backside to work but I’m terrible at the weekend,I used to like being up early and productive :( I think all antidepressants/anti anxiety meds have terrible downsides. It’s just what is the lesser evil. I wasn’t coping at all without them.

I’ve been on sertraline for several years for anxiety - in that respect it’s the best AD I’ve taken (tried a few others). But as others have said I had a massive weight gain in a short space of time which I’ve not been able to shift. I discussed it with my doctor but the stark choice seemed to be suffer with anxiety which prevents you living your life normally but be a normal weight. Or, have that edge taken off with the pill but be a fat beast 😗

• Sad
Hello, I have been on sertraline for about 3 years. The side effects when I first started were not nice I'm not going to lie but after about a month or so it was worth it because they have really helped me. I felt super low when I began them, headaches, dizzy and disturbed sleep. But they do go away. Hope that's some help. X

Sertraline is one of the safest SSRIs to take during pregnancy and breastfeeding however I’d recommend speaking to your GP about starting trying for a family and they may be able to refer you onto a perinatal mental health team for additional support with managing your emotional well being during and post pregnancy.

In terms of side effects I’d have hoped the prescriber would have gone through some of these with you, sometimes reading too much online can make it worse and it’s important to remember everybody experience will be different.

If you haven’t already it may be worth enquiring with your health care professional about any talking therapies available to you as others have said medication will not ‘cure’ the root cause of low mood and feeling of depression.

Hope you start to feel more yourself soon

I've been on them for 7 years. Helped me tremendously, but I have gained alot of weight. I'm very reliable on them .. I'm on the highest dose and very doubtful I'll ever come off them. Another side effect is my memory, it's absolutely terrible and it used to be good. Can't remember yesterday sometimes. And I'm only 26.
They are great though and calmed my panic and depression right down

I'm currently on Day 3 of taking S. I'm currently experiencing some of the side effects, which I am hoping will wear of as per my doctors advice. I feel dizzy, drowsy, no motivation, headaches, loss of appetite, clenched jaw, keep zoning out and I cannot sleep for the life of me - did anyone else experience the same?

I think I'm going to go back to the doctors to get signed off from work for the week until these start to settle down as i'm sat at my desk on the verge of falling as sleep and I don't want to talk to anyone at all :(

Reactions: 3
I'm currently on Day 3 of taking S. I'm currently experiencing some of the side effects, which I am hoping will wear of as per my doctors advice. I feel dizzy, drowsy, no motivation, headaches, loss of appetite, clenched jaw, keep zoning out and I cannot sleep for the life of me - did anyone else experience the same?

I think I'm going to go back to the doctors to get signed off from work for the week until these start to settle down as i'm sat at my desk on the verge of falling as sleep and I don't want to talk to anyone at all :(

Hiya. I’m on setraline. I started off 50mg then the doctor prescribed 100mg which was too much. It was making me so ill and I had my boy to look after. Went back down to 50 mg and was alright with it. Went to another doctor and she has given me 75mg to take. Felt no symptoms at all.

I started off on 50mg and I’m now on 150mg I don’t remember feeling any symptoms? Although if I don’t take them for a couple of days I do feel a lot worse