Anti Conspiracy Theories #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The people who are truly conspiracy unhinged don’t really respond with any degree of logic to what is actually happening at any point.

For example, the Qanoners. Did they stop believing the massive piles of shite that they had believed when 1. None of Q’s predictions came true and 2. ‘Q’ disappeared and stopped posting? No they didn’t. They are still spewing racism and goodness knows what else. They are still doing mental gymnastics on a point which most rational people can see is really quite straightforward.

Imagine being that unhinged? These people must have permanently high levels of cortisol. Also, some of them have spent hours and hours listening to charlatans on YouTube. They certainly don’t want to admit all the hours of their lives that they have wasted.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I’m sure some of you are familiar with Joe Rogan, he does podcasts and has been criticised about Covid misinformation. He recently did a debate with a broadcaster and is quickly proven wrong whilst live. It’s worrying so many people will listen to people like him who come out with things that are not accurate.

Reactions: 11
I’m sure some of you are familiar with Joe Rogan, he does podcasts and has been criticised about Covid misinformation. He recently did a debate with a broadcaster and is quickly proven wrong whilst live. It’s worrying so many people will listen to people like him who come out with things that are not accurate.

That's interesting, and something those against the vaccine for young 'uns should definitely read.

Reactions: 2
But if all restrictions are lifted,
what will the CT’s do 😕
Easy, the Coronapocalypse gets added to the list of 'practice runs'.
Lessons will be learned, I believe is the phrase much used by our glorious leaders, they think we don't know what they really mean...

• Haha
The people who are truly conspiracy unhinged don’t really respond with any degree of logic to what is actually happening at any point.

For example, the Qanoners. Did they stop believing the massive piles of shite that they had believed when 1. None of Q’s predictions came true and 2. ‘Q’ disappeared and stopped posting? No they didn’t. They are still spewing racism and goodness knows what else. They are still doing mental gymnastics on a point which most rational people can see is really quite straightforward.

Imagine being that unhinged? These people must have permanently high levels of cortisol. Also, some of them have spent hours and hours listening to charlatans on YouTube. They certainly don’t want to admit all the hours of their lives that they have wasted.
A lot of these sources of information are videos that are hours and hours long…why can it not be condensed into 5 minutes, a short summary of the point they’re trying to get across. Instead they take snippets from here, there and everywhere and you end up with a discombobulated video which makes 0 logical sense.

Reactions: 6
Can anyone tell me, in a nutshell not a 12 hour YT video, what this Great Awakening is all about? I literally don’t get it, it’s such a woolly concept. Does it actually mean “people will come round to my way of thinking and believe the same claptrap”?

Reactions: 8
I was watching some CT stuff on YouTube, I'm shocked at all the 'Satanic' crap they come up with. As an old-school metal chick I have an interest in Satanism as it's a subject discussed a lot in my favoured music genre.
No doubt there are Satanists who are arseholes, just like there are in every religion.
To me it's more like Paganism with lots of hedonism thrown in.
Hurting children or animals is not part of Athestic/Laveyan Satanism and nobody wants to rule the world, they just want to have a good time and rock out in peace.

Can anyone tell me, in a nutshell not a 12 hour YT video, what this Great Awakening is all about? I literally don’t get it, it’s such a woolly concept. Does it actually mean “people will come round to my way of thinking and believe the same claptrap”?
I personally have 0 clue what it means but this kind of explains it - seems to be a historical concept but it has also been linked to Covid-19 (no suprise) and QAnon (no surprise). Not sure if these links explain it very well.

Reactions: 1
I asked this once on another forum.. apparently i need to go and do my own research 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 9
A lot of these sources of information are videos that are hours and hours long…why can it not be condensed into 5 minutes, a short summary of the point they’re trying to get across. Instead they take snippets from here, there and everywhere and you end up with a discombobulated video which makes 0 logical sense.
Extra points for finding an excuse to say 'discombobulated' :)

The real question though is would anyone have been using it anything like as much if it hadn't featured in Blackadder, and should we not therefore conclude that this proves there has been a mass brainwashing :eek:

• Haha
I was watching some CT stuff on YouTube, I'm shocked at all the 'Satanic' crap they come up with. As an old-school metal chick I have an interest in Satanism as it's a subject discussed a lot in my favoured music genre.
No doubt there are Satanists who are arseholes, just like there are in every religion.
To me it's more like Paganism with lots of hedonism thrown in.
Hurting children or animals is not part of Athestic/Laveyan Satanism and nobody wants to rule the world, they just want to have a good time and rock out in peace.
They kinda ruin it with their extremist ideas and end of days spiel. 🥱

Extra points for finding an excuse to say 'discombobulated' :)

The real question though is would anyone have been using it anything like as much if it hadn't featured in Blackadder, and should we not therefore conclude that this proves there has been a mass brainwashing :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I really wish I'd called myself 'Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop'. Forever my favourite Blackadder quote.

• Haha

What’s going on with all this talk of the vaccine data showing that it was all wrong or something? Even I’m a bit lost, plus they’re putting a lot of faith into big bad media talking about it and the data not magically disappearing - or will that just be the next instalment of this?

the further this goes on the more QAnon it seems to be in a way. Though the Meghan Markle conspiracy accounts on twitter also seemed to be strongly inspired by QAnon with using cryptic tweets and what not

Reactions: 1
I just saw someone say

“You will see. And once you see it, you cannot unsee, compassion is needed my CT friends, we must welcome those who have now woken from the darkness and see the light

In all seriousness. 😐 straight faced.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I was having a conversation about CT with my husband the other day. I was saying how I had fallen down a rabbit hole, of where a lot of the more intense CT have come in more recent times from and my *research* and *critical thinking skills* took me back to GamerGate in 2014 (if anyone remembers that?) It was fuelled by a lot of the same extreme, Alt-Right views that we still see today within CT and day-to-day life. From my understanding (and lack of critical thinking), GamerGate gave people the option to voice their more extreme opinions online and I do wonder if that has opened a lot of doors for people to cry that their "freedom of speech" is being taken away? I know that 2014 wasn't that long ago, I've always heard the odd conspiracy prior to this but I do wonder what was the catalyst to make people more open/comfortable to saying their extreme views and when it began to snowball to what we see today.

A lot of the conspiracies are rooted in being offensive to a group of people. Even something more *light-hearted* as Michelle Obama actually being a man, as if that is some sort of problem even if she was born a man. The irony that they reject the ideology that people take money for vaccines, but now are seeming to buy into this mass hysteria of vitamin D or whatever else the pope of conspiracy theories (David Icke) is saying that week.

Having an interest in psychology, I do wonder in 10/20 years time if there will be research brought out about the influences of mass following on CT, what the vulnerability/risk factors are for someone to buy into it and how it can play on someone's mind. I know when I was mentally vulnerable, I fell into a CT trap and it echoes experiences others have had. I'd be curious to know how many people believe the same things in 20 years time. It reminds me of that experiment to see if people would "follow the leader", a group of people told to sit in a room and they were told when they would be called. Time would pass and no one would stand up and say anything until someone else had until ultimately they were all doing so. It would be interesting to know if the pandemic itself (being isolated, loosing jobs etc) would make people more susceptible of buying into it as people, en masse were more vulnerable/scared. Especially with CT being more widespread on social media, more than I have ever seen pre-pandemic. You used to be seen as an "oddball" for buying into CT but now it's more commonly spread. Even John Cook (founder of Skeptical Science and author of The Conspiracy Theory Handbook) said that “when people feel threatened and out of control, it’s natural to want to feel more control and bring order to the randomness by resorting to conspiracy theories." (https://www.healthline.com/health/m...es#Why-do-people-believe-conspiracy-theories?)

Sorry for the long post! I should be writing an assignment for university but instead I got side-tracked haha.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Rogan needs an audience so he always comes out with 'controversial' stuff.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.